Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CPR is a better hire, here's why.

Started by Ramboar, January 13, 2017, 11:58:21 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

NuttinItUp

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 14, 2017, 12:36:03 pm
I truly believe BB has a little bit of micro-manager in him.

It is funny that some people say he is too hands off and relaxed ("flip flops and shorts") about everything and some people say he is too hands on. (micro-manager, etc.)

I have no idea which is actually the case, but I just think it is funny that both views are expressed a lot here.

bulldog04

Quote from: tusked on January 14, 2017, 10:09:06 am
Partridge and a D coach that is a top recruiter out of Texas ... damnit
Taylor has been named recruiter of the year a few times so there you go

TX HOG

Jeff Traylor for Texas recruiting(if he hasn't found a job yet)

lakecityhog

Nuttin, Him being too laid back HIMSELF has absolutely nothing to do with his tendency to take total control.

Do you not remember the PC before the A&M game when BB made the comment "running the ball is our DNA" and the he had talked to Enos about that? And then we have 3 straight 1st and goal situations against A&M and FLOP miserably trying to pound it in against a STACKED front??? Do you honestly think that Enos makes that kind of call on his own?

Oklahawg

Quote from: BrianG on January 14, 2017, 12:00:41 pm
You know that is buckshot.  He has never caused one of his team's to be penalized.  Just a bunch of know nothing fans who bring it up.  Idiot.  Before you talk about someone how about some proof.  Yeah that's what I thought liar.

You have something crossways in your digestive track? No need for this.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Styflin

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 14, 2017, 12:36:03 pm
I think Rhoads will do fine IF he is named DC as long as he is given the freedom to do his job.

I watched "Before they were Cowboys" this morning and gosh did Frank have some great assistant coaches!!! Both Jimmy and Jerry mentioned that fact and that Frank did the one thing that GREAT coaches do--- HE LET THEM COACH!

I truly believe BB has a little bit of micro-manager in him. I remember the story of Matt Canad confronting him about running the O while at Wisconsin and I heard the PC where BB said that Smith said to him "Coach I'd sure like to blitz right here."

We sit around and complain about the offense going stale at times, we go ballistic that the D seems to go passive at times and the first words spoken are bad OC or terrible DC. In both of our last 2 flops the offense scored well and looked unstoppable in the first and at the same time the D held the opponent to a minimal output.  Did Enos and Smith go brain dead at halftime? Or maybe they were influenced to be a little more careful with the lead?

Does that sound like a HC playing not to lose???

Can Rhoads thrive in the same circumstance? Could Diaco have been successful with the same restraints? Maybe being a former HC, Rhoads will feel more comfortable in bucking that trend?

This is exactly what is happening. No idea why people can't see this. Coach has a history of this stuff. It's plain for all of us to see. The movie has been played. Bret seriously needs to take a look at himself.

factchecker

Quote from: lakecityhog on January 14, 2017, 01:00:11 pm
Nuttin, Him being too laid back HIMSELF has absolutely nothing to do with his tendency to take total control.

Do you not remember the PC before the A&M game when BB made the comment "running the ball is our DNA" and the he had talked to Enos about that? And then we have 3 straight 1st and goal situations against A&M and FLOP miserably trying to pound it in against a STACKED front??? Do you honestly think that Enos makes that kind of call on his own?

So does Enos or Bielema get credit for this play:

Stacked front, goaline situation, we needed to score and we call a RWIII jump pass.  Either he is controlling or he isn't.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

King Kong

Since Rhoads is a for gone conclusion. I thought I would post Highlights of Pitt Upset #2 WV on the Road last game of the season preventing WV from going to the National Championship.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bta03I7dwEk"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

King Kong

If Enos didn't have control the why would run plays like a JC sweep for the game winning score against Ole Piss? Or a option play to RW earlier in the game?

CBB has complete confidence in Enos. If he didn't he would override his calls and let him go in the offseason.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: King Kong on January 14, 2017, 02:15:12 pm
If Enos didn't have control the why would run plays like a JC sweep for the game winning score against Ole Piss? Or a option play to RW earlier in the game?

CBB has complete confidence in Enos. If he didn't he would override his calls and let him go in the offseason.

^^^^This^^^^

Gotta be all or nothing. Can't get blame for the bad calls and not get praise for the good calls.

factchecker

I agree.  It doesn't make any sense.

Bad Call = Bielema

Good Call = Enos

This is what is being said without any proof.

Is this an Enos play or a Bielema play?

The one thing I can definetly say Enos brought here was the screen game.  He was running innovative screen plays with Thomas Rawls at CMU:

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Pork Twain

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 14, 2017, 12:40:31 pm
It is funny that some people say he is too hands off and relaxed ("flip flops and shorts") about everything and some people say he is too hands on. (micro-manager, etc.)

I have no idea which is actually the case, but I just think it is funny that both views are expressed a lot here.
Nobody on here actually knows anything, with exception of a very small minority.  For the everyone else, it is all about what is easier to bitch about.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Kevin

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 14, 2017, 06:39:24 am
I suspect it will be Rhodes and it will be announced first to the team when they meet Monday night at the Smith Center.  Coach Bielema could pull another name out of his hat, but Rhodes is the most likely name. 

In reply to other posts here, Rhodes primary set when he was DC at Auburn and at Pittsburgh was a 3-4.

When I say that the players like Rhodes, don't think that doesn't mean he is soft on them.  He is intense and demands their respect, but he develops relationships with them.  Smith didn't do this.  If it is Rhodes, I expect a higher level of intensity and a lot more tackling in practice.

really like the last part
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Styflin

Bielema doesn't call specific plays. He tells Enos the parameters of what to call. He did the same thing to Robb Smith. He has pretty much said this in press conferences.

If he is carrying the playsheet and wearing his glasses, you can forget about a first down. It's well documented about his troubles with a lot of his past OC.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Styflin on January 14, 2017, 02:58:43 pm
Bielema doesn't call specific plays. He tells Enos the parameters of what to call. He did the same thing to Robb Smith. He has pretty much said this in press conferences.

If he is carrying the playsheet and wearing his glasses, you can forget about a first down. It's well documented about his troubles with a lot of his past OC.

Sounds like a lot of unsourced speculation to me.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: Styflin on January 14, 2017, 02:58:43 pm

No Bielema has said he tells Dan what they are going, as in we will go for it on fourth down or we are going for 2 in OT which he told the offense before th drive. All which can and should impact what Enos might call.

Which is all what the HC is suppose to do. Control the game and let your coaches coach

Tarheelhawg

I agree that CPR is the better choice for Def. Coordinator not just because he has SEC experience etc. but because he brings passion to his defense and clearly cares about his players.  So naturally the players love him and play with great passion. Passion is something that seems to have been missing from the Defense.  Do yourself a favor watch Coach Rhodes on YOUTUBE, "I am so proud of you...."

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bW4ekb5L_5k

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: King Kong on January 14, 2017, 02:11:19 pm
Since Rhoads is a for gone conclusion. I thought I would post Highlights of Pitt Upset #2 WV on the Road last game of the season preventing WV from going to the National Championship.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/bta03I7dwEk"; frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Great video.  The base defense was the 3-4, but showed 4-3 with 3-4 concepts. Great example of what you can do with a group that may be undersized or less athletic than their opponent.  Also note that Pitt's defense looked like they wanted to make plays.  Arkansas has talent.  Scheme and motivation were more significant issues last year.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 15, 2017, 08:57:38 am
Great video.  The base defense was the 3-4, but showed 4-3 with 3-4 concepts. Great example of what you can do with a group that may be undersized or less athletic than their opponent.  Also note that Pitt's defense looked like they wanted to make plays.  Arkansas has talent.  Scheme and motivation were more significant issues last year.

Should Rhoads be named the DC, I believe that he will definitely motivate the defense to play at a higher level and with greater focus and attention to detail. A big help to him should be that he will have better talent to work with here at Arkansas than he did at Iowa State. That should mean that the defense will play better all of the time and we know that he has the ability to develop a sound game plan against stronger opponents and motivate the players to give even more effort in bigger games. That much we have witnessed when he was the HC.
Go Hogs Go!

Little Lady Back

#NolanRichardsonCourt

HF#1

His secondary sucked this year. Surely they aren't giving him the job.
"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid."  <br /><br />Benjamin Franklin

ricepig

Quote from: HF#1 on January 15, 2017, 12:18:49 pm

Shirley they are!

HogNiner12

Quote from: HF#1 on January 15, 2017, 12:18:49 pm

It's because we got zero pass rush, do you even watch football?

jgphillips3

farmhawg

That is all Bret
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

hobhog

Quote from: Shrevepork on January 14, 2017, 04:45:33 am
"If the players had their way we would still have John L Smith as coach." I had the same thought.

And charcoal colored uniforms.....with white helmets.

Styflin

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on January 14, 2017, 03:41:27 pm
No Bielema has said he tells Dan what they are going, as in we will go for it on fourth down or we are going for 2 in OT which he told the offense before th drive. All which can and should impact what Enos might call.

Which is all what the HC is suppose to do. Control the game and let your coaches coach

Do you listen to post game press conferences? And are you familiar with the documented discontent Bret has had with multiple OCs?

farmhawg

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 14, 2017, 03:34:06 pm
Like everything else here.
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

Styflin

Quote from: NuttinItUp on January 14, 2017, 03:34:06 pm

Did you know when Bret was hired at Wisconsin it was heavily speculated he wasn't involved with the offense. In fact, he was told to retain OC Paul Chryst (current head coach). The offense was throwing up a lot of points at that time. After 2011 Paul was hired at Pitt and most of the offensive assistants chose to leave with him rather than stay with Bret.

That next season is when Bret took more control of the offense and it wasn't pretty. That's the year the infamous firing of Nutts old offensive line coach at the start of the season. He and new OC Matt Canada were at odds. Bret has had power struggles within his coaching staffs before and it's not hard to believe it's going on now. Google

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/badgers-football-offense-was-power-struggle-for-matt-canada-bret/article_d7184300-5151-11e2-86ec-001a4bcf887a.html

King Kong

Quote from: Styflin on January 15, 2017, 02:39:53 pm
Did you know when Bret was hired at Wisconsin it was heavily speculated he wasn't involved with the offense. In fact, he was told to retain OC Paul Chryst (current head coach). The offense was throwing up a lot of points at that time. After 2011 Paul was hired at Pitt and most of the offensive assistants chose to leave with him rather than stay with Bret.

That next season is when Bret took more control of the offense and it wasn't pretty. That's the year the infamous firing of Nutts old offensive line coach at the start of the season. He and new OC Matt Canada were at odds. Bret has had power struggles within his coaching staffs before and it's not hard to believe it's going on now. Google

http://host.madison.com/sports/college/football/badgers-football-offense-was-power-struggle-for-matt-canada-bret/article_d7184300-5151-11e2-86ec-001a4bcf887a.html

There are no reports of CBB overriding Chryst's calls. Do they like each other? No they don't.

Did he override Canada's calls? Probably. But after they only scored 7 points at Oregon St and 16 against Utah State he probably earned that criticism.

Styflin

Quote from: King Kong on January 15, 2017, 03:46:03 pm
There are no reports of CBB overriding Chryst's calls. Do they like each other? No they don't.

Did he override Canada's calls? Probably. But after they only scored 7 points at Oregon St and 16 against Utah State he probably earned that criticism.

He didn't over ride Chryst. Bret was restricted to defense in those early years as I pointed out. The interesting thing is those offensive assistants rolled out of town with Paul.

factchecker

Quote from: Styflin on January 15, 2017, 03:55:11 pm
He didn't over ride Chryst. Bret was restricted to defense in those early years as I pointed out. The interesting thing is those offensive assistants rolled out of town with Paul.

Thomas Hammock (runningback coach) stayed in Wisconsin.

Delvaugh Alexander (receiver coach) didn't go to Pitt with Chyrst he went to Arizona State to be tight end coach.

Bostad left with Chyrst but was named co-offensive coordinator (more money) and then left to go coach in the NFL.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-panthers/2011/12/26/2662977/pitt-coaching-search-bob-bostad-paul-chryst-offensive-coordinator-wisconsin-badgers

Rudolph (tight end coach) was named assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at Pitt.  He actually coached one game as interim head coach when Chryst left for Wisconsin.

So only two assistants "rolled out of town" with Chryst.

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Ramboar

Quote from: factchecker on January 15, 2017, 04:07:22 pm

Delvaugh Alexander (receiver coach) didn't go to Pitt with Chyrst he went to Arizona State to be tight end coach.

Bostad left with Chyrst but was named co-offensive coordinator (more money) and then left to go coach in the NFL.

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-panthers/2011/12/26/2662977/pitt-coaching-search-bob-bostad-
paul-chryst-offensive-coordinator-wisconsin-badgers
Gotta love the facts. ;D
Rudolph (tight end coach) was named assistant head coach and co-offensive coordinator at Pitt.  He actually coached one game as interim head coach when Chryst left for Wisconsin.

I'll be yo Huckleberry

Ramboar

Fact im guessing all those guys made more money when they left Wiscy?
I'll be yo Huckleberry

factchecker

Quote from: Ramboar on January 15, 2017, 04:15:18 pm
Fact im guessing all those guys made more money when they left Wiscy?

I think the one's who followed Chryst did so for multiple reasons. It was probably a combo of increased salaries, higher job titles, and familiarity of Chryst's offense.

Only Rudolph is still coaching with Chryst.... so maybe Chryst is a "control freak" who is hard to work with.... or maybe coaches just move jobs all the time - it's a part of the game.

Also, in regards to Canada.  Canada was fired by Dave Doeren (former Coach Bielema DC) after being NC State's OC for three years.  Canada clashed with Doeren as well.  Two coaches and Canada gives the same sob story.  Maybe Canada is right or maybe he is the problem.  We will see how well it works out with Coach Yaw Yaw.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Styflin

Quote from: factchecker on January 15, 2017, 04:07:22 pm

http://pittsburgh.sbnation.com/pittsburgh-panthers/2011/12/26/2662977/pitt-coaching-search-bob-bostad-paul-chryst-offensive-coordinator-wisconsin-badgers

So 1 offensive coach stayed? Got it

factchecker

Quote from: Styflin on January 15, 2017, 04:29:03 pm
So 1 offensive coach stayed? Got it

You said they went with Chryst.... they didn't.  Get that.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Styflin on January 15, 2017, 02:39:53 pm
After 2011 Paul was hired at Pitt and most of the offensive assistants chose to leave with him rather than stay with Bret.

2 = most?

GOT IT!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Styflin

Quote from: factchecker on January 15, 2017, 04:26:32 pm
I think the one's who followed Chryst did so for multiple reasons. It was probably a combo of increased salaries, higher job titles, and familiarity of Chryst's offense.

Only Rudolph is still coaching with Chryst.... so maybe Chryst is a "control freak" who is hard to work with.... or maybe coaches just move jobs all the time - it's a part of the game.

Also, in regards to Canada.  Canada was fired by Dave Doeren (former Coach Bielema DC) after being NC State's OC for three years.  Canada clashed with Doeren as well.  Two coaches and Canada gives the same sob story.  Maybe Canada is right or maybe he is the problem.  We will see how well it works out with Coach Yaw Yaw.

Interesting you call out coaches for being hard to work with and control freaks. What's your opinion of Jim Chaney? The common denominator IS Bret.

factchecker

Quote from: Styflin on January 15, 2017, 04:34:22 pm
Interesting you call out coaches for being hard to work with and control freaks. What's your opinion of Jim Chaney? The common denominator IS Bret.

I ain't calling out anyone for being a control freak.  I'm using your idiotic reasoning against you.  I was sarcastically calling Chryst a control freak.... hence the """"""""" quotation marks.

If Coach Bielema being a "control freak" forced Chaney out then THANK GOD!
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Styflin

Quote from: factchecker on January 15, 2017, 04:34:04 pm
2 = most?

GOT IT!

How many offensive coaches are there? Only 1 coach chose to stay. That's the point I'm trying to make. You mad?

factchecker

What's your opinion of Jim Chaney?

That he is straight up potato at calling offense.

Our passing game improved instantly when Chaney left.

Georgia fans HATE Chaney and want him gone after one year.

https://twitter.com/UGANihilist/status/817223979043848192

https://twitter.com/Mad_Dawg19/status/816720426860683264

https://twitter.com/11AliveSports/status/814905410960457728
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Styflin on January 15, 2017, 04:36:13 pm
How many offensive coaches are there? Only 1 coach chose to stay. That's the point I'm trying to make. You mad?

Oh god....  the you mad bro?  meme

Ok let me see if I can dumb it down for you.

"Don't worry fam.  I'm not salty bruh.  I'm just spittn dem facts. LOL, LMFAO "
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Ramboar

Jim Chaney is doo-doo, you'd be hard pressed to find any school that was sad to see him leave.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Styflin

Quote from: factchecker on January 15, 2017, 04:38:45 pm
That he is straight up potato at calling offense.

Our passing game improved instantly when Chaney left.

Georgia fans HATE Chaney and want him gone after one year.

https://twitter.com/UGANihilist/status/817223979043848192

https://twitter.com/Mad_Dawg19/status/816720426860683264

https://twitter.com/11AliveSports/status/814905410960457728

Look man I'm not trying to debate if Chaney is effective. You called out Bret's coaches as control freaks and hard to work with. Chaney said at Pitt he took our offense as far as he could. Not a glowing remark and some would consider it a slight to Bret.

Chaney wasn't treated appropriately after he left according to many on here and that upset Sam. You fail to see what the actual point is.

Styflin

Quote from: Ramboar on January 15, 2017, 04:42:01 pm
Jim Chaney is doo-doo, you'd be hard pressed to find any school that was sad to see him leave.

I'm talking about his relationship with our Head Coach during and after his time here. Try to keep up.

factchecker

Quote from: Styflin on January 15, 2017, 04:42:26 pm
Look man I'm not trying to debate if Chaney is effective. You called out Bret's coaches as control freaks and hard to work with. Chaney said at Pitt he took our offense as far as he could. Not a glowing remark and some would consider it a slight to Bret.

Chaney wasn't treated appropriately after he left according to many on here and that upset Sam. You fail to see what the actual point is.

Let's check in on that amazing wide open Chaney offense.  Jim should be tearing up the record books now that he is free from Bielema's oppression and he is coaching a team full of 5 stars at Georgia:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category02/sort01.html

Hmmm....

Georgia passing yards = 2515 yards
vs.
Arkansas passing yards = 3434 yards

Georgia passing completion = 54.9 %
vs.
Arkansas completion % = 60.8%

Georgia passing touchdown/ints = 16/9
vs.
Arkansas passing touchdown/ints = 26/16
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Ramboar

Relationship was rocky because Chaney sucked and who gives a damn after he left what happened. I'd lose Pittman all day long to get rid of Chaney.
I'll be yo Huckleberry

Styflin

Quote from: factchecker on January 15, 2017, 04:45:17 pm
Let's check in on that amazing wide open Chaney offense.  Jim should be tearing up the record books now that he is free from Bielema's oppression and he is coaching a team full of 5 stars at Georgia:

http://www.cfbstats.com/2016/leader/911/team/offense/split01/category02/sort01.html

Hmmm....

Georgia passing yards = 2515 yards
vs.
Arkansas passing yards = 3434 yards

Georgia passing completion = 54.9 %
vs.
Arkansas completion % = 60.8%

Georgia passing touchdown/ints = 16/9
vs.
Arkansas passing touchdown/ints = 26/16

Thanks for the worthless stats and tired hogville diatribe about Chaney. I'm talking about his RELATIONSHIP as an OC with our current Head Coach, and that Head Coach's past with such coaching position.

ricepig

Quote from: Styflin on January 15, 2017, 04:48:26 pm
Thanks for the worthless stats and tired hogville diatribe about Chaney. I'm talking about his RELATIONSHIP as an OC with our current Head Coach, and that Head Coach's past with such coaching position.

So, Enos should be leaving then, correct?