Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Old Timers

Started by Rzback, January 12, 2017, 06:04:48 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Rzback

I'm seeing more old timers throwing in the towel than ever before. Being satisfied with middle of the pack just isn't satisfactory. Difficult time to be a Razorback Fan. I have my opinions but I will keep them to myself. Just sad seeing long time Hog fans giving up.
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Inhogswetrust

Give up in what way? Do you mean a long time season ticket holder or a someone that really if ever attends games? Not liking the results this year does not mean giving up necessarily. Not buying season tickets or burning all one's Hog stuff or actually not ever watching a game again are sighs of giving up. Complaining now when one has generally posted in a positive way is not giving up.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: Rzback on January 12, 2017, 06:04:48 am
I'm seeing more old timers throwing in the towel than ever before. Being satisfied with middle of the pack just isn't satisfactory. Difficult time to be a Razorback Fan. I have my opinions but I will keep them to myself. Just sad seeing long time Hog fans giving up.

As people grow older, their perspective changes. Priorities change. Keep in mind that many "old timers" who appear to be throwing in the towel, may have spent many decades as passionate, die-hard fans. Are the Razorbacks still important to them?...sure. But as people get older, they just don't lose as much sleep about some of the things they once did. I've been a die-hard fan since the late 60's and I used to not even open the sportspage on days after a loss. I still enjoy going to games, supporting the Foundation, etc. but I just don't get as upset over things as I once did. Interesting how you can get a pretty good idea of a person's age just by the comments they post on HV. There aren't near as many people giving up as you might think. Things will be okay....patience.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

LZH

I will be in Fayetteville for the Spring game to visit babygirl. But frankly, unless I really see something that blows my skirt up, especially on defense, I can't seem to get that worked up about next year.

oldbooniehog

Spend about a decade doing this:

See Hogs finish the season somewhere between solidly second-rate and truly awful.

Get excited for "next year."

See Hogs finish the season somewhere between solidly second-rate and truly awful.

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Just 10 consecutive years of that would grind anybody down some.

Now multiply that 10 years by two, or three, or four. Or five.

Let''s see...2017 minus 1964 is 53, right?

oldbooniehog

But you know what tires me out the most?

Being surrounded by Hog fans who scream and yell "FIRE COACH!" when Arkansas once again finishes somewhere between solidly second-rate and truly awful.

For the last 50 years Arkansas has been, at its absolute best, an entertaining also-ran.

The highest the Hogs have gotten is just under true greatness.

Even when Arkansas finished one year ranked #5 in the country, they were still 3rd in the SEC West

Few seem willing to admit Hogs' truth. And scream and yell to "FIRE COACH!" because surely the next guy gets us back to 1964.

That really gets old after about 40 years of watching.

havok

Well I am in my 50's.

1.  My pet Peeve is when people "Accept" that what we are now is the norm...and excited when we slip into top 25 every 4 or 5 years for a week or so..  I remember when we were a top 10 team..even in the top 5.  It can be done here.. Those of us who have been alive a few years longer have seen it.

2.  I don't have many more "Oh Wait till next year" Years left.  I have been in a "Wait till next year funk" for a couple decades now.

oldbooniehog

I vividly recall the Ken Hatfield era.

All Hatfield did was win around 75% of his games and keep the Hogs ranked.

His last 2 years, Hogs won 2 conference titles with a pair of 10-win seasons.

Hog fans yelled and screamed how Hatfield could not win the Big Game, ran a boring offense, and many were perfectly happy to see Kenny get run off.

Today a coach who could equal Hatfield''s record at Arkansas would have streets named after him, and his statue on campus.

But during his time, plenty of Hog fans hated Hatfield because he could not get them back to 1964.

Porcine Coprolite

The first game I attended was the '69 Texas game, so I guess I should be used to being disappointed. 

Over all, though, I enjoyed FB much more when we were in the SWC.  Even though it was a lower level of competition, it was nice to be relevant and occasionally champions.  I thought from the very beginning that entering the SEC was a mistake.  We can't compete in recruiting and the result is all too obvious on the field.  At this point we are nothing more than a highly paid rent-a-win for the top tier SEC programs.  It is very discouraging.

hogsanity

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 12, 2017, 07:01:40 am

For the last 50 years Arkansas has been, at its absolute best, an entertaining also-ran.

Even when Arkansas finished one year ranked #5 in the country, they were still 3rd in the SEC West

Which is why I do not understand where all the " 9-3 should be the minimum " people are coming from. An average of 9-3 would be far better than any 5+ year stretch they have had in a long time, certainly it happened before they entered the SEC.  Would I enjoy a run like that, of course, but I do not expect it. Not only has this program not done that in at least close to 3 decades, very few p5 teams or maybe any fbs teams regardless of conference, rarely sustains that level for very long.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

jgphillips3

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 08:10:08 am
Which is why I do not understand where all the " 9-3 should be the minimum " people are coming from. An average of 9-3 would be far better than any 5+ year stretch they have had in a long time, certainly it happened before they entered the SEC.  Would I enjoy a run like that, of course, but I do not expect it. Not only has this program not done that in at least close to 3 decades, very few p5 teams or maybe any fbs teams regardless of conference, rarely sustains that level for very long.

Having grown up with 11 game seasons, I think 8-3 is a solid season.  When they added the 12th game, 9-3 became the new 8-3 because we still have not gone to 9 conference games.  That said, not that we play one good non-con each year, I am comfortable with 8-4 average so long as we are competitive in losses.  7 wins is not an acceptable average...ever...now that we play 12 games.  It's fine to have a down year where you win 6 or 7 if it's sandwiched in between some 9+ win seasons.  Most of us don't expect us to ever be Bama.  I'm fine with that.  However, we should be competitive.  8 or 9 win seasons need to be the norm with you occasional 10+ and your occasional rebuild year. 

Kevin

I did not realize I would live through the golden era of razorback sports, and then watch the major programs fall off the map, and have an ad ok with it, while making piles of money
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

Biggus Piggus

We only talk about hypothetical win-loss records in the offseason. What matters to Razorback fans is that the team (football, basketball, baseball):

* Play an appealing style that doesn't inherently limit our upside potential.
* Recruit competently and get all the great talent within easy reach, when it appears.
* Win the games we are supposed to win and occasionally pull off an upset.
* Don't blow games in the second half by going hyperconservative.

These have been consistent threads for Razorback sports over the past 40+ years. If our AD and coaches are unaware of these principles, they're fools.

Exact W-L records don't incite fans to revolt. Underperforming does that. Getting beaten up by a tough schedule isn't that hard to take. Blowing easily winnable games is hard to take. Screwing up - that's what Razorback fans cannot stand. Quit screwing up, you're fine.
[CENSORED]!

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: jgphillips3 on January 12, 2017, 08:32:48 am
Having grown up with 11 game seasons, I think 8-3 is a solid season.  When they added the 12th game, 9-3 became the new 8-3 because we still have not gone to 9 conference games.  That said, not that we play one good non-con each year, I am comfortable with 8-4 average so long as we are competitive in losses.  7 wins is not an acceptable average...ever...now that we play 12 games.  It's fine to have a down year where you win 6 or 7 if it's sandwiched in between some 9+ win seasons.  Most of us don't expect us to ever be Bama.  I'm fine with that.  However, we should be competitive.  8 or 9 win seasons need to be the norm with you occasional 10+ and your occasional rebuild year. 

^^^agree

hogsanity

So what does a 8 win season usually get the team? A mid tier bowl. It does not get you ranked, it does not get you a division title. Why is 8 wins worth more than 7 or less than 9 other than the numerical value of the number being different?
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Potosihog

Quote from: havok on January 12, 2017, 07:04:28 am
Well I am in my 50's.

1.  My pet Peeve is when people "Accept" that what we are now is the norm...and excited when we slip into top 25 every 4 or 5 years for a week or so..  I remember when we were a top 10 team..even in the top 5.  It can be done here.. Those of us who have been alive a few years longer have seen it.

2.  I don't have many more "Oh Wait till next year" Years left.  I have been in a "Wait till next year funk" for a couple decades now.

Yes, it can be done.  I am 50 years old as well.  The year we finished 5th was a very exciting time for me.  I live out of state but as I returned home for visits I saw hog gear EVERYWHERE.  The excitement of the FB program was at a very high level.  HOWEVER, many realize we had to sell our soul to the devil to get there.  After getting our soul back, by the skin of our teeth, it will take a few losing seasons to motivate another risky hire. 

We are about to enter a Mississippi State type patience for the build.  Really, after reading this thread and looking at the big picture of Razorback athletics, it is probably a good thing.  Patiently holding on to coaches who slowly, slowly build toward a solid team with really good years every once in a while is the MSU formula. 

I'm trying to convince myself we will have those really good/great years if we hold on.  It is hard to do so after experiencing the rapid rise to a great year when we sold our soul.

Of course, in the really big picture, getting your soul back from the devil is a pretty good place to be.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 08:45:28 am
So what does a 8 win season usually get the team? A mid tier bowl. It does not get you ranked, it does not get you a division title. Why is 8 wins worth more than 7 or less than 9 other than the numerical value of the number being different?

In this year's final AP poll there are 5 "9-win" teams and 2 "8-win" teams that are ranked in the Top 25. FWIW

http://collegefootball.ap.org/poll/2017/16

hogsanity

Quote from: Potosihog on January 12, 2017, 08:47:50 am
  The year we finished 5th was a very exciting time for me. 

But that was the exception, not the norm. We seem to have a really good year about once every 7-10 years and it usually coincides with an outstanding crop of in state kids. HDn had it with the DMAC led team in 2006, and to a little lesser extent with one of the Matt Jones teams, and then of course the 98 team that Ford built and HDn coached was full of instate talent.

Redhogs

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 08:39:21 am
We only talk about hypothetical win-loss records in the offseason. What matters to Razorback fans is that the team (football, basketball, baseball):

* Recruit competently and get all the great talent within easy reach, when it appears.

These have been consistent threads for Razorback sports over the past 40+ years. If our AD and coaches are unaware of these principles, they're fools.

Exact W-L records don't incite fans to revolt. Underperforming does that. Getting beaten up by a tough schedule isn't that hard to take. Blowing easily winnable games is hard to take. Screwing up - that's what Razorback fans cannot stand. Quit screwing up, you're fine.
I'm ok with this post. I would put a little more emphasis on the wins and losses than you, but It's pretty accurate.. that being said, this program lacks the leader to fix the things you have highlighted.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

Soooie21

60 years old here, never give up on the Hogs....

EastexHawg

Quote from: havok on January 12, 2017, 07:04:28 am
Well I am in my 50's.

This is me.  There is an odd juxtaposition going on within the fan base, or at least on this board.  Those who advocate that Arkansas can be among the nation's best teams, meaning one of the top 5-20 teams in the nation on a fairly regular basis, and that what we have now is unacceptable are the "haters".  Meanwhile, the people who are telling everyone that Razorback football is, has been, and should be mediocre and that expecting anything more is futile are the real, true fans and supporters of the program.

We are still donating to the Foundation, but we gave up our season tickets this year.  Once we talked and realized we aren't really enjoying the experience all that much any more we asked ourselves why we were still spending the money and time going week after week.  At that point the answer was obvious.  We have attended on average 5-6 games per year for a long time, with numerous years of 7 to 9 attended.

We instead got season tickets to our alma mater, Stephen F. Austin.  It's small time football compared to the SEC, but it's where we went to college and it's an hour from home.  Plus, season tickets are something like $55 each.

We'll be back at some point...maybe...if and when winning on the field becomes a bigger priority.  And please, don't tell me it already is.  I've seen Arkansas football when we were winning and this isn't it.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: oldbooniehog on January 12, 2017, 06:49:15 am
Spend about a decade doing this:

Get excited for "next year."

Rinse. Lather. Repeat.

Just 10 consecutive years of that would grind anybody down some.

Now multiply that 10 years by two, or three, or four. Or five.

Let''s see...2017 minus 1964 is 53, right?

I gotten where I just record the games and if we lose I delete it off the DVR.  I try to buy one or two things Hogs each year .
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

BaconAteHer

Being surrounded by Hog fans who scream and yell "FIRE COACH!" when Arkansas once again finishes somewhere between solidly second-rate and truly awful.

Few seem willing to admit Hogs' truth. And scream and yell to "FIRE COACH!" because surely the next guy gets us back to 1964.

I think despite some of the HV crazies on both sides of the fence, most people are actually pretty reasonable. If we play sound, smart, disciplined, fundamental football and get beat... it hurts but I'm proud of my team. I think most people feel the same. What ignites the "fire the coach" side is watching their team regress and play undisciplined, uninspired football.

We weren't just "out-talented" this year. And the times we were, it wasn't by such a large margin as the final scores indicated.

JIHawg

Win the Missouri and Va Tech games, and all is well.  Every little town in Arkansas would throw a parade to honor Bielema and Jeff.  We are that close.  Why we lost those two games hasn't been explained yet.  Will it happen again?  That hasn't been answered either.

Tusks

I don't get the crowd that say's 'yeah we finished #5 IN THE COUNTRY, but 3rd in the SECW'

WTH, who gives a rats arse, the hogs finished #5, when they go to the 8 team playoff that's an invitation.

I'll take a #5 ranked team every year and twice on Sundays.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DeltaBoy

Yep the 2 bad loses the last month of the season blew my confidence in this staff.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

HammusArkansus

Re:  Kenny Hatfield era

My recollection of Kenny's coaching stint was as follows:

1. Won most of his games
2. Lost some big games
3. Could always get 3 yards when needed
4. 'Mule kick' blocking on P.A.T.'s
5. Forced to turn play calling over to O.C. his last year
6. Last year had best offense and maybe the best team serving as H.C.
7. Left for (wasn't it Clemson) another school because he was forced surrender play  calling to an O.C..
8. His last game was bowl loss to Tenn in their prime.  Exciting game and could have gone either way.
9. Things were looking good for the next year, but when Kenny left program quickly hired O.C. as replacement (wasn't it Jack Crowe) and things then went down hill.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 08:56:46 am
But that was the exception, not the norm. We seem to have a really good year about once every 7-10 years and it usually coincides with an outstanding crop of in state kids. HDn had it with the DMAC led team in 2006, and to a little lesser extent with one of the Matt Jones teams, and then of course the 98 team that Ford built and HDn coached was full of instate talent.
and petrino had a class like that with tyler wilson, joe adams, the warren guys, and dennis Johnson.

Bielema hasn't had a class anywhere near those
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: BaconAteHer on January 12, 2017, 09:19:37 am
We weren't just "out-talented" this year. And the times we were, it wasn't by such a large margin as the final scores indicated.

Yes, this was a strange season. The Auburn collapse was probably a first in school history, the way a competent team did not even show up for a game. Then the regular-season finish against Missouri revealed internal problems. The coaches told us they were convinced that the Missouri problems had been fixed, then they came back with a vengeance against Virginia Tech.

It was obvious that the team was not all on the same page.

This is not a case of the "same old fan griping." I do not care about fan griping. I care about what happened. It was disturbing. It was not routine.

We will end up with more coaching staff changes and lack of continuity. We need a head coach who plans better than this, who understands his team better than this. Can Bielema become that coach?
[CENSORED]!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 10:12:54 am
Yes, this was a strange season. The Auburn collapse was probably a first in school history, the way a competent team did not even show up for a game. Then the regular-season finish against Missouri revealed internal problems. The coaches told us they were convinced that the Missouri problems had been fixed, then they came back with a vengeance against Virginia Tech.

It was obvious that the team was not all on the same page.

This is not a case of the "same old fan griping." I do not care about fan griping. I care about what happened. It was disturbing. It was not routine.

We will end up with more coaching staff changes and lack of continuity. We need a head coach who plans better than this, who understands his team better than this. Can Bielema become that coach?
+1
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: tusked on January 12, 2017, 09:29:55 am
I don't get the crowd that say's 'yeah we finished #5 IN THE COUNTRY, but 3rd in the SECW'

WTH, who gives a rats arse, the hogs finished #5, when they go to the 8 team playoff that's an invitation.

I'll take a #5 ranked team every year and twice on Sundays.
That crowd also wont mention that we were probably one game out of the national championship that year as well. Bama was 1, LSU 2, and we were 3. We played LSU and lost, but its likely that whoever won that game would play bama in the championship. All of this is what ultimately sealed the deal for some kind of playoff as well

Hogwild

I agree, but some people tend to get hung up on the difference between one win or lose.  Look at it another way, rankings.  Arkansas fans expectations in the past were to finish the season ranked.  In the 60s we finished ranked 8 times, in the 70s we finished ranked 6 times, in the 80s we finished ranked 7 times.  That was when the rankings only included 20 teams.  In the past ten years we've only finished in the Top 25 twice. It then becomes frustrating to me when I read that this in the new norm.  Where are the people that got PO when Broyles said we were a "7th or 8th" SEC team?

EastexHawg

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 12, 2017, 10:17:21 am
That crowd also wont mention that we were probably one game out of the national championship that year as well. Bama was 1, LSU 2, and we were 3. We played LSU and lost, but its likely that whoever won that game would play bama in the championship. All of this is what ultimately sealed the deal for some kind of playoff as well

And for all the talk about how LSU blew us out, we were never in the game...the score was 24-17 with 11 minutes left in the 4th quarter. 

Potosihog

Quote from: Boss Hog in the Arkansas on January 12, 2017, 10:17:21 am

No way we were playing in that game.  The nation was in an uproar because it was a rematch.  Bama and LSU had enough prestige to force it anyway.  If we would have beaten LSU we would have played in the Sugar bowl anyway.  Scoop and Score....Scoop and Score

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: Potosihog on January 12, 2017, 10:33:03 am
No way we were playing in that game.  The nation was in an uproar because it was a rematch.  Bama and LSU had enough prestige to force it anyway.  If we would have beaten LSU we would have played in the Sugar bowl anyway.  Scoop and Score....Scoop and Score
You're probably right. It would've given them an opportunity to slip Ohio State in there...again

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on January 12, 2017, 08:39:21 am

This X 10000000000000000000000000! Keep the programs moving forward, win the games you should, win a majority of the toss-ups, and pull off a few upsets along the way to a respectable top 20 average and most fans will be happy. Now that being said we will get a bit irritated if we reach a ceiling without hope of progress like Hatfield did with his outdated offense(fans are not why Hatfield left however, that was all JFB). Everybody knew we had almost 0 chance against the top 20 type teams unless we played an almost perfect game like we did against the Canes in 88? Atwater holds on to a ball in his hands and we win. As great as Atwater was, there are 2 huge memories of games he had the chance to win for us, and he missed it both times. Texas 86? he just whiffed on the ball to Jones at the end of the game.

hobhog

Im 55 and havnt thrown in the towel. Don't know where this is coming from.

Basketball may be another story. Need coaching change there. Apathy has definitely set in with my circle. Gotta keep searching til get it right.

I point out that many feel we are capable of 8-4 regular seasons much of the time and this staff hasn't attained that level once in 4 years.  And we get blasted in losses, not even competitive.  I could tolerate a 6-6 season if we had 3 or 4, 8 win seasons and maybe a 9 win season to go with it.  If this fanbase and administration feels we are at a level where we should be, then can this entire staff and bring in an up and comer who has a little fire and spend about half what we do now on staff.  Discounting 4 OOC rent a wins that we can conger up, to win 6 we would only have to win 2 peer games annually.  We could go 6-6 most of the time and sometimes 5-7 but sometimes 8-4 too.  A bright young Guy with fire will surprise you and do well sometimes. 

And right now, while others are making those changes they believe will assist their respective teams in getting better, Numb Nutts is sitting on his rear and making no changes to date.  There is value in showing that you know what the hell you are doing, doing it and making plans to go forward.  Nummy needs to find a way to fire someone, anyone.  Either take all the blame for this crap situation or lay the wood on someone, replace them and immediately start making plans to get better. 

He could start by using the term, I've instead of talking in distant terms of You've this or you've that during a PC. 

I am older than anyone else who has mentioned their age so far in this thread.  Beyond the mad spells, I would like to try to explain my feelings. 
1.  It isn't all about how many wins.
2.  It starts out about the nonchalant attitude toward being bad and accepting it.
3.  It is about going 3-9, 4 years ago when even Smith the year before won 4
4.  It is about closed practice where fans don't learn much about the staff and players.
5.  It is about lowering the conditioning practices from 2 to 1 and showing up with an O-line completely out of condition.
6.  It is about horrible offensive calls that serve to lose the game, not win it.
7.  It is about a team who plays like they have zero mental conditioning.
8.  It is about not having a second team to relieve the 1st team.
9.  It is about losing your #2 QB for 2 of the 4 seasons you have been here within days of the season opener.
10.  It is about continuing to use coaching staff that appear to be inferior for game after game instead of firing them and taking their place on the staff, showing some balls.
11.  It is about hiding behind the door while the AD tries to run interference for you.  Stupid tweet.
12.  It is about not only being bad, but showing zero worries and even tweeting that you don't see a problem, that in fact you see strength.
13.  It is about getting flogged in some games so bad it embarrasses the entire State, fifty whatever the hell it was to 3, having MO kick the darn out of us and V. Tech raping us and the coach and administration taking the mosey along attitude.  Would it bother this Administration and Staff if one of their children came home with their under garments pulled over their head, naked, dirty from end to end, big bruises all over and crying or would this still be Neveryield
14.  And it is about this time when a sunshiner swears we are on the right track, we just need time.  I wish I could feel and see that track.  Truth is, there is nothing about this operation that I believe is on the right track.  I don't scream fire the coach but I do scream put his ass to work.  His boss cannot see the problem so why should he. 

hogsanity

Quote from: 12247 on January 12, 2017, 11:40:05 am
I am older than anyone else who has mentioned their age so far in this thread.  Beyond the mad spells, I would like to try to explain my feelings. 
2.  It starts out about the nonchalant attitude toward being bad and accepting it.
4.  It is about closed practice where fans don't learn much about the staff and players.
5.  It is about lowering the conditioning practices from 2 to 1 and showing up with an O-line completely out of condition.
6.  It is about horrible offensive calls that serve to lose the game, not win it.
9.  It is about losing your #2 QB for 2 of the 4 seasons you have been here within days of the season opener.
10.  It is about continuing to use coaching staff that appear to be inferior for game after game instead of firing them and taking their place on the staff, showing some balls.
11.  It is about hiding behind the door while the AD tries to run interference for you.  Stupid tweet.
12.  It is about not only being bad, but showing zero worries and even tweeting that you don't see a problem, that in fact you see strength.
13.  It is about getting flogged in some games so bad it embarrasses the entire State, fifty whatever the hell it was to 3, having MO kick the darn out of us and V. Tech raping us and the coach and administration taking the mosey along attitude.  Would it bother this Administration and Staff if one of their children came home with their under garments pulled over their head, naked, dirty from end to end, big bruises all over and crying or would this still be Neveryield
14.  And it is about this time when a sunshiner swears we are on the right track, we just need time.  I wish I could feel and see that track.  Truth is, there is nothing about this operation that I believe is on the right track.  I don't scream fire the coach but I do scream put his ass to work.  His boss cannot see the problem so why should he. 

almost all of that is subjective. #3 is just stupid though, the 2013 had nothing to work with. Had to start tr fr in key spots, had no depth, and to top it off their starting Qb played 3/4 of the year with a bad shoulder.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 11:43:51 am
almost all of that is subjective. #3 is just stupid though, the 2013 had nothing to work with. Had to start tr fr in key spots, had no depth, and to top it off their starting Qb played 3/4 of the year with a bad shoulder.

Okay....
Quote from: DLUXHOG on December 21, 2016, 10:03:11 am
1909, 1910, 1913, 1914, 1915, 1917, 1923, 1924, 1927, 1928, 1929, 1937, 1959, 1962, 1964, 1965, 1966, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1975, 1977, 1978, 1979, 1982, 1985, 1988, 1989, 2011 are the only seasons (that's 29 seasons out of 122 seasons (24%) total since program inception) that Arkansas experienced only 1, 2, or no losses in that season.    We had a long draught between 1937 - 1959 and from 1989 - 2011...   Simply put, Arkansas Razorbacks, on average, sniff the top of the pile once every 4 years.....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

GuvHog

For me it's different Boonie. I remember following the Hogs  as a young boy in the 60's and watching the Hogs beat Nebraska in the Cotton Bowl for their only national title. During Frank's tenure, once he rebuilt the Hogs in his early years, they were almost always nationally relevant and ranked during his tenure. the same thing happened under Lou's and Hatfield's tenures. They were even nationally relevant a lot during Hooty's era as bad as he was and BP's era which included a 10 win season with a Sugar Bowl appearance and a top 15 final ranking followed the next year by another 10 win season with a Cotton Bowl win and a #5 final national ranking speaks for its self. Oldtimers like me are used to being nationally relevant most of the time and we don't like it all when the Hogs aren't nationally relevant because of the ignorance of the AD in hiring a bad head coach. The U of A can be a clean run program with integrity that wins and it makes us sick that it's is not being given the opportunity to be that type of program.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: 12247 on January 12, 2017, 11:09:37 am
I point out that many feel we are capable of 8-4 regular seasons much of the time and this staff hasn't attained that level once in 4 years.  And we get blasted in losses, not even competitive.  I could tolerate a 6-6 season if we had 3 or 4, 8 win seasons and maybe a 9 win season to go with it.  If this fanbase and administration feels we are at a level where we should be, then can this entire staff and bring in an up and comer who has a little fire and spend about half what we do now on staff.  Discounting 4 OOC rent a wins that we can conger up, to win 6 we would only have to win 2 peer games annually.  We could go 6-6 most of the time and sometimes 5-7 but sometimes 8-4 too.  A bright young Guy with fire will surprise you and do well sometimes. 

And right now, while others are making those changes they believe will assist their respective teams in getting better, Numb Nutts is sitting on his rear and making no changes to date.  There is value in showing that you know what the hell you are doing, doing it and making plans to go forward.  Nummy needs to find a way to fire someone, anyone.  Either take all the blame for this crap situation or lay the wood on someone, replace them and immediately start making plans to get better. 

He could start by using the term, I've instead of talking in distant terms of You've this or you've that during a PC.
I would love to see us bring in another high school coach as a coordinator, someone like kevin Kelley.Theres gotta be another malzahns out there. Young guys aren't getting opportunities because the older guys are getting passed around by teams. Jim Chaney is a good example of this

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: 12247 on January 12, 2017, 11:40:05 am
That one really irks me. Its getting to the point where it feels like theyre hiding more than anything. Our AD nad HC need to realize that many fans are jumping ship and others are starting to do the same. They need to get the fans involved once again. This would be a big start!

Torqued pork

55 and caring less with each year. The mindset that the Hogs can't do much better and everyone should just accept it will keep bringing the same results and will kill the passion.

Hell, at least there used to be people in charge who put importance on winning and occasionally the Hogs would have a memorable season.

GuvHog

Quote from: hogsanity on January 12, 2017, 08:56:46 am

You are right about the #5 ranking being an exception but for many years being ranked in the top 25 WAS the norm for the Hogs and it still should be. The fact that it isn't the norm now isn't acceptable.

GuvHog

Quote from: Potosihog on January 12, 2017, 08:47:50 am
Yes, it can be done.  I am 50 years old as well.  The year we finished 5th was a very exciting time for me.  I live out of state but as I returned home for visits I saw hog gear EVERYWHERE.  The excitement of the FB program was at a very high level.  HOWEVER, many realize we had to sell our soul to the devil to get there.  After getting our soul back, by the skin of our teeth, it will take a few losing seasons to motivate another risky hire. 

We are about to enter a Mississippi State type patience for the build.  Really, after reading this thread and looking at the big picture of Razorback athletics, it is probably a good thing.  Patiently holding on to coaches who slowly, slowly build toward a solid team with really good years every once in a while is the MSU formula. 

I'm trying to convince myself we will have those really good/great years if we hold on.  It is hard to do so after experiencing the rapid rise to a great year when we sold our soul.

Of course, in the really big picture, getting your soul back from the devil is a pretty good place to be.

Selling our soul to the Devil???

How many recruiting violations did we have during BP's tenure?? Answer: NONE

How many NCAA rules were broken during BP's tenure?? Answer: NONE

Was there even the slightest threat of an NCAA investigation during BP's tenure?? Answer: NO

It's true that Bobby had off of the field issues but his program was clean.

Calling him the devil is nonsense.

The U of A sold themselves to the devil long before Bobby's arrival.

DLUXHOG

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 12:30:04 pm

Was there even the slightest threat of an NCAA investigation during BP's tenure?? Answer: NO

As in HDN....
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

GuvHog

Quote from: DLUXHOG on January 12, 2017, 12:31:17 pm
As in HDN....

No, as in John White and Jeff Long.

Hooty had serious off of the field issues and he was not a good coach at all but I wouldn't call him the devil.

Potosihog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 12, 2017, 12:30:04 pm

I wouldn't ask those questions publicly.  Nothing was clean about BP.  He sure could get wins but NOTHING was clean about him.