Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How is KJ Hill not a 5 star?

Started by hogfan870, February 03, 2015, 01:07:32 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

hogfan870

Serious question.  He has Saban and Meyer - two of the best, if not the top two coaches/recruiters in the game - battling for him, and apparently willing to make room for him (AL is already asking people to grayshirt and Oh St is already at 25).  Just don't get it.  If he is really good enough for those two to bump other players, I would have to think he is a five star. 

Oh, and I have no idea if we even have a chance to get him, but I do like the fact that we have one of his team mates as a preferred walk-on - can't do anything but help

Peter Porker

Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

Russ22

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 03, 2015, 01:07:32 pm
Serious question.  He has Saban and Meyer - two of the best, if not the top two coaches/recruiters in the game - battling for him, and apparently willing to make room for him (AL is already asking people to grayshirt and Oh St is already at 25).  Just don't get it.  If he is really good enough for those two to bump other players, I would have to think he is a five star. 

Oh, and I have no idea if we even have a chance to get him, but I do like the fact that we have one of his team mates as a preferred walk-on - can't do anything but help
Best WR in Arkansas does not always justify a 5* ranking. It isn't like these recruiting services are out to get kids. They evaluate size, speed, quickness, agility, and (to some extent) production before including the offer list. KJ has some great measurable quantities, but he didn't have the production I would expect from a 5* WR playing in Arkansas. I think he is being graded appropriately in the composite ranking.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

ricepig

Quote from: Peter Porker on February 03, 2015, 01:08:09 pm
Because of his speed.

Yep, he would need the HV average for a RB/WR of 4.3 to be a 5*.

Sir Oinksalot

...he committed early to lil Arky, now their hay is in the barn
they finally get to studying the "outlyers" and go "H..S..!!"
Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

Nosboar Accubond

hogfan870

Quote from: Russ22 on February 03, 2015, 01:12:36 pm
Best WR in Arkansas does not always justify a 5* ranking. It isn't like these recruiting services are out to get kids. They evaluate size, speed, quickness, agility, and (to some extent) production before including the offer list. KJ has some great measurable quantities, but he didn't have the production I would expect from a 5* WR playing in Arkansas. I think he is being graded appropriately in the composite ranking.

Well whatever the evaluators for the recruiting services say, I am not buying that they are better than Meyer and Saban, who both appear to be willing to bump others to take him.

And btw, I don't mean to leave CBB and Ark out of the discussion, he is just one of the top instate players so it is pretty much a given that we are going to recruit him.

Do any of you guys who follow recruiting nationally more than I do know; are there any other players that Saban and Meyer are both still trying to sign right now?  That is, willing to bump current commits to get?  Maybe there are several, and it is not a big deal. 

immahog

K.J is not going to run away from many on the next level BUT what makes him good IMO is the abilty to change direction without slowing down
No lions No tigers No bears.....ImmaHog

JBoroHog

Rivals and Scout cannot give a 5* rating to anyone considering Arkansas. Once they confirm it is down to OSU and Univ of Saban, they can upgrade him

hogfan870

Quote from: JBoroHog on February 03, 2015, 01:25:57 pm
Rivals and Scout cannot give a 5* rating to anyone considering Arkansas. Once they confirm it is down to OSU and Univ of Saban, they can upgrade him

+1

Dwight_K_Shrute

He did have 5 stars until his step dad sold one of them
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

hogfan870

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on February 03, 2015, 01:36:50 pm

Why you got to go and ruin a thread

booogaga

GO HOGS!

Russ22

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 03, 2015, 01:21:11 pm
Well whatever the evaluators for the recruiting services say, I am not buying that they are better than Meyer and Saban, who both appear to be willing to bump others to take him.

And btw, I don't mean to leave CBB and Ark out of the discussion, he is just one of the top instate players so it is pretty much a given that we are going to recruit him.

Do any of you guys who follow recruiting nationally more than I do know; are there any other players that Saban and Meyer are both still trying to sign right now?  That is, willing to bump current commits to get?  Maybe there are several, and it is not a big deal. 
I am in no way discounting KJ. He is in the top 20 WR in the country, but the numbers (247) site has only 5 or 6 5* WR listed. If he were in the top 5 in the country, then he would be a 5* regardless of whether he was from Arkansas or not. He is a "take" as a player unless you are already loaded at WR. That's why Saban and Meyer want him.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

greenie

Funny how some threads get locked, and some don't.
I can't wait to find out (will probably take weeks) what all this nonsense is about.

Oh, and KJ is VERY good.  Not sure why he's not rated higher, but IMO, he's rated high enough to give our all for his commitment.  Would hate to see him on a team with a nut as a mascot.

Cresthog

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 03, 2015, 01:37:44 pm
Why you got to go and ruin a thread

You ruined the thread when you put KJ Hill in the title.

Shrute polished a turd.

Cresthog

Quote from: greenie on February 03, 2015, 01:45:35 pm
Funny how some threads get locked, and some don't.

Oh, and KJ is VERY good.  Not sure why he's not rated higher, but IMO, he's rated high enough to give our all for his commitment.  Would hate to see him on a team with a nut as a mascot.

Much rather him play there than a division rival. Wouldn't you?

greenie

Quote from: Cresthog on February 03, 2015, 01:46:49 pm
Much rather him play there than a division rival. Wouldn't you?

yes...you got me there.  I just have this feeling he'll end up in Columbus.

Hawg Red

Rivals only has 34 players listed as 5 stars. That's all positions combined. There's your answer.

hogfan870

Quote from: Cresthog on February 03, 2015, 01:46:00 pm
You ruined the thread when you put KJ Hill in the title.

Shrute polished a turd.

Our coaches are still recruiting him.  And honestly, between the preferred walk-on of his teammate and the tweets by CBB, I am more optomistic in the last 24 hours than I have been since he decommited.  I just don't think CBB would be wasting his time if he didn't think we were still in it.  That being said, I think our chances are still less than 50%

Cresthog

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 03, 2015, 01:53:06 pm
Our coaches are still recruiting him.  And honestly, between the preferred walk-on of his teammate and the tweets by CBB, I am more optomistic in the last 24 hours than I have been since he decommited.  I just don't think CBB would be wasting his time if he didn't think we were still in it.  That being said, I think our chances are still less than 50%

If he would have visited I'd be somewhat optimistic. Since he didn't, it's over IMO.

Crazier things have happened though.

AugustaHog

He's visited our campus soooo many more times than anywhere else.  He's seen the campus and knows the people.  If he wanted to be here, an official visit wouldn't be necessary.  I just don't believe he wants to be here.  We'll know real soon.  If he's a Hog, this has been one heck of a good ruse.

rwspear

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 03, 2015, 01:53:06 pm

smh

give it up man

Wahls

Sold it to Katy Perry to use in the Super Bowl.
Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

choppedporkextrasauce

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

redeye

Yea, they're both recruiting other players and the services aren't perfect.  Just last week, Tennessee traded a solid 4-star player for a 3-star for some reason.

Having said that, there aren't enough 5-star players for anyone to fill their class with 5-stars, only.  They're rare, and while KJ has risen a lot this year, he probably doesn't deserve a 5-star rating.

Don't get too caught up in the stars.

Wahls

Quote from: A.Ziffle on April 20, 2012, 10:39:01 pm
You have two kinds of tough guys... those that do it from behind a keyboard, and those that juggle soap in prison just to show they're a fearless bastard.

LRRandy

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on February 03, 2015, 09:24:28 pm
Yep, borderline 2 star actually.
yeah, those grapes would have been sour anyway.
This is fun, isn't it.

Bubba's Bruisers

I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

Bubba's Bruisers

FANONTHEHILL

Could be level of competition.  Great numbers vs his conference, but when level went up, Fayetteville and Bentonville games for example, numbers were solid, but not steller.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Dominicanhog

he will be now.. they'll re-rank him now that he's @ tOSU

31to6

LAHog124

^^^^I just now saw this and I am in tears from laughing so hard
"If there's one thing I hate it's losing. If there's two things I hate it it's losing and getting cancer." -Kenny Powers

RazorChuck

I think he sold 3 of them. Plus he gets free tattoos.
I am super disgusted that he signed with tOSU, I hate them so much.
But I can see now that we did not want him here, obvious prima donna, with a daddy asking, whats in it for me.

toshortrock

Toshortrock,,,,,,GO HOGS/////

KlubhouseKonnected

They have an arbitrarily set number of five star rankings that they will hand out. He just isn't evaluated higher than that number of other players.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.