Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I Think I'm Ready!

Started by GrizzlyRider07, February 03, 2015, 10:16:36 am

Previous topic - Next topic

GrizzlyRider07

After thinking things over and serving my country with two tours. I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. Sitting at 6'0ft 180lb, 4.39 40 time as of yesterday, I believe I will go try my luck with our hogs and see if I can earn a spot on the team as a walk on with a chance to earn a scholarship. I've played Corner my entire life and have actually won 4 championships with my battalion earning mvp In 3 of them. I'm only 25 and still believe I can complete with the best of them. Only one way to find out right?

Haha no but with all seriousness as much as I'd love to, I just don't see that happening. Just wanted to lighten up the mood some. I'll stick to playing a little semi pro now since I'm out of Active Duty and with the reserves now!
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

returntoglory

Thank you for your service. We appreciate our troops and we need the secondary help!!!

hawginbigd1

Dude if your measurables are for real go get it. YOLO

yraciv

Hand or electronic in that 40?  ;)

riccoar

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 03, 2015, 10:16:36 am
After thinking things over and serving my country with two tours. I feel like I'm in the best shape of my life. Sitting at 6'0ft 180lb, 4.39 40 time as of yesterday, I believe I will go try my luck with our hogs and see if I can earn a spot on the team as a walk on with a chance to earn a scholarship. I've played Corner my entire life and have actually won 4 championships with my battalion earning mvp In 3 of them. I'm only 25 and still believe I can complete with the best of them. Only one way to find out right?

Haha no but with all seriousness as much as I'd love to, I just don't see that happening. Just wanted to lighten up the mood some. I'll stick to playing a little semi pro now since I'm out of Active Duty and with the reserves now!
If I was 25 with those stats and college eligible, I think I'd at least try.  An undrafted WR for the Seahawks was working at Foot Locker when he got the call to come try out for their team and then started the Super Bowl.

GrizzlyRider07

Thanks guys I really appreciate it and love serving my wonderful country.  And yes guys those are accurate measurable as of yesterday and my 40 time was electronically timed
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

trphog

Do it bro! Would love to see you with that Hog on your helmet

PonderinHog

Hogville needs somebody on the inside!   :razorback:

GrizzlyRider07

I'll give it some thought guys. It has always been a dream of mine to play for the hogs but chose to fight for my country instead.
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

BadHog

Why wouldn't you try to play college fb somewhere? Are you planning to go to college regardless? You are probably at the peak of your physical ability and will be that way for a few years. Don't just dream it, do it. And thank you for serving our country! USA!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

scooby21322

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 03, 2015, 10:28:07 am
I'll give it some thought guys. It has always been a dream of mine to play for the hogs but chose to fight for my country instead.

What do you have to lose?  With the GI bill, I would try if I were you. 

GrizzlyRider07

Quote from: BadHog on February 03, 2015, 10:29:01 am
Why wouldn't you try to play college fb somewhere? Are you planning to go to college regardless? You are probably at the peak of your physical ability and will be that way for a few years. Don't just dream it, do it. And thank you for serving our country! USA!
Well yes I am going back the school to complete my degree now. I know I'm in great physical shape and all but i just have some other responsibilities that will come first before pleasure. I recently got engaged and we are expecting TWINS in June sooooo yeah that will be taking up a lot of my time now.
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

ZERO

Bielema himself is a former walk-on, you know. I'm betting he has a soft spot for people, who, due to extenuating circumstances, couldn't make it immediately after high school. Everyone on here is nothing but supportive for a good reason - it's actually a pretty good idea. Well, keep us posted if you decide to do it.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

dynastyhog

Thank You for your service.  You should walk on and see what happens.  If nothing else you'll do scout team for 5 years and then be able to put on your resume former military, and former razorback.  Not to mention the contacts you will make.  If you can hang in there for 5 years it will be life changing, especially if you have aspirations to coach,  good luck.
Life is too short to spend your precious time trying to convince a person who wants to live in gloom and doom otherwise. Give lifting that person your best shot, but don't hang around long enough for his or her bad attitude to pull you down. Instead surround yourself with optimistic people. - Zig Ziglar.

ZERO

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 03, 2015, 10:34:48 am
Well yes I am going back the school to complete my degree now. I know I'm in great physical shape and all but i just have some other responsibilities that will come first before pleasure. I recently got engaged and we are expecting TWINS in June sooooo yeah that will be taking up a lot of my time now.

Twins, oh boy, haha. If you did walk-on and earn a scholarship, it would be a tremendous help in the future with your school being paid for.

(it just dawned on me that it'll obviously be paid for anyway, haha. I'm just trying to find reasons to talk you into this)
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

wholehog92

Get in there and get it done Grizz.  Several athletes have kids.
My personal list of trolls so that I can remember not to reply to them:  Pigs Been Fly, gohogsgo006, hanksampson, no3putts, HarryGoat, Oxbaker, Olmissbydamn, LocalHawg, Thatguy, Masterhog, servicesupport, Razorhawg09, Big Poppa Z,  $100 Handshake, Poloprince.

List of folks that reasonable conversation will not happen:  Iron Hog, Jman, hognot, Solomwi, hogfan1111x, pigzwillrise.

Favorite Posters:  WilsonHog, Tomhog, Muskogeehog, Razorfox, TammayTom, razorback3072, bennyl08.

Hoggish1

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 03, 2015, 10:25:02 am
Thanks guys I really appreciate it and love serving my wonderful country.  And yes guys those are accurate measurable as of yesterday and my 40 time was electronically timed

Then get going.  What are you waiting for?  Call those Hogs!  You have the GI Bill, right?!

XX

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 03, 2015, 10:25:02 am
Alex Dillard was ≈25 when he went to AR and set the SEC record for most 3 pointers in a game.  His record stood for 16 years. 

Don't sell yourself short...
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

ZERO

Coach seems like the kind of guy who has nothing but respect for people who earn what they have. You're a young guy who put his life on the line for his homeland, you're a devoted family man, and you love the team he coaches. Sounds pretty uncommon to me, man.

GrizzlyRider07

Thanks for all the support guys, another reason why I love my hog family. I'll have a talk with my lady today and if everything is a go. I'll see if I can meet with the athletic department layer this week in regards to this. Woo Pig! Thanks again everyone!
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

Sammy_Hogar

Sounds like you're seriously ready. Don't end up regretting not giving it a shot. I agree with ZERO. You sound plenty uncommon to me. You're the kind of guy that could be a great influence and inspiration for the younger players. Best of luck if you decide to try, and thanks for your service to our country!

XX

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 03, 2015, 10:44:14 am
Thanks for all the support guys, another reason why I love my hog family. I'll have a talk with my lady today and if everything is a go. I'll see if I can meet with the athletic department layer this week in regards to this. Woo Pig! Thanks again everyone!
If you don't do it...I'm gonna hunt you down.  >:(
Fill yur hands you son of a bitch!!

PonderinHog

Quote from: seXual cHOGolate on February 03, 2015, 10:48:13 am
If you don't do it...I'm gonna hunt you down.  >:(
You'll never catch him!

ZERO

You wouldn't happen to wear Buddy Holly-style glasses, would you? Because it's a done deal if so.

GrizzlyRider07

Haha I may have a few videos on my computer of a few plays of me in a few games I know I have some pictures I'll post on here when I get home just so you don't think I'm just all talk
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.

WorfHog

Do it, if you don't you'll always ask yourself, what if?

redeye

I can remember being 25, in good shape and considering trying out for the Hogs.  I'd never heard of an older college player at that time and didn't think they allowed it, so I talked myself out of it.  When Chris Weinke was an AA QB at FSU in the nineties, I thought it was unfair that he was in his late twenties, but that seems silly today.  Still glad I never tried out, because in hindsight, it saved me a lot of embarrassment...   ;D  But's that's because I was small and slow, so by all means do it, if you think you have a chance.

centralhog

Thanks for your service.  Stay with the reserves and finish strong.

jjdlc

Absolutely, at least try out, you'll end up regretting it if you don't.  Worst thing that could happen is they say no.  Alternatively, who knows, the sky is the limit.  You wouldn't be the first older athlete to go to college, and find their way to the pros. 

I understand the time crunch your looking at around the corner.  While not twins, I had my first back in September, and it can be overwhelming, but there are quite a few athletes that do it, I'm sure there are support structures in place for that. 

Let us know how it turns out.  Despite what a few might tell you, and the lunatic fringe, the Hog family really does care for it's own.

duckman

Do it, you only live once.  If you don't try it there will always be that little "What If" in the back of your mind.  Plus if seXual cHOGolate did it, so can you!  Best of luck and thanks for your service!

pignparadise

Remember, at the end  you are never sorry for what you did only for the things you didn't do....
"The race is long.. and in the end it's only with yourself.....", Baz Luhrman "Sunscreen"

Sueie

Just ask him if you can play against Alabama and knock a certain receiver on his a$$.  It would be worth it if you never saw the field again.  ;D

JRHoward

Grizz, Thank You for your service!  Go For It!  Best of Luck to You and your new family.  Woooo Pig!   :razorback:
Woooo Pig!

Hogsmo Kramer

If you even think about this remotely serious do it and DO NOT look back.

Regret is an ugly thing to live with, I know from first hand experience, and I now fight a ghost I can't beat everytime I go to the gym or do anything competitive.

I quit on myself once in my life and swore I never would again. While I haven't since, that regret never 100% goes away no matter how much success I've had since then so don't make my same mistake.

Just some advice that I will give my kiddos as well when they're old enough to hopefully hear it.
Hogville = The Nexus of the Universe!!!!!

rzrbackramsfan

Yea i think you ought to try out

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "

BadHog

HA! Congrats on adding to the Hog family!
"Rumors are started by haters, spread by the fools and accepted by idiots."

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Seriously reach out to the athletic department.  The publicity and PR alone if you can make a legit run at it during spring ball could open some doors for you even if you decide joining the team isn't for you.

Cereal.
Hogville's resident uniform designer.

kp72204

Congrats brotha

GB-Razorback

Hey, if the 30-year-old Longhorns Nate Boyer Green Beret can do it, you should give it a shot.  I remember him from the first play of our bowl game ... he was injured and they were talking about him ... I thought that was very cool. 

Wow ... I just said something good about a Longhorn ... but he served his country, so I will give myself a pass ... though I do feel a little dirty.

WPS!
Elwood: It's 106 miles to Chicago, we got a full tanks of gas, half a pack of cigarettes, it's dark and we're wearing sunglasses.<br /><br />Jake: Hit it.

RazorBassin

I say go for it!  Thank you for your sevice from a fellow service member!

ldfergu

Quote from: Hogsmo Kramer on February 03, 2015, 01:31:33 pm
If you even think about this remotely serious do it and DO NOT look back.

Regret is an ugly thing to live with, I know from first hand experience, and I now fight a ghost I can't beat everytime I go to the gym or do anything competitive.

I quit on myself once in my life and swore I never would again. While I haven't since, that regret never 100% goes away no matter how much success I've had since then so don't make my same mistake.

Just some advice that I will give my kiddos as well when they're old enough to hopefully hear it.

Maybe quitting that one time ended up pushing you harder throughout life than you would have had you not quit

Hogsmo Kramer

Quote from: StoneTemplePiglets on February 03, 2015, 04:35:44 pm
Maybe quitting that one time ended up pushing you harder throughout life than you would have had you not quit

That's a good point and I think you're prob right about that.

I guess in the end it was a net positive since I'd rather die now than quit anything and without that experience maybe that wouldn't be the case.

That "ghost" as I refer to it is there always pushing me to prove myself to myself.

OLDHOG

Thank you for your service to our country. Now it's time to do for you and your family. Go for it. You only get one chance to do it right. You'll never forgive yourself if you don't try. Good luck and God bless.

Hogsmo Kramer

Oh and to the OP congrats on the twins and thank you for your service to our country I think the hogs will be lucky to have you if you so choose to follow this out.

ShadowTheHedgehog

I tell you what, growing up I always did Martial Arts and played as a Soccer Goalie so I can kick a ball pretty hard and far. When I was going back to college several friends told me to try out a s a kicker or a punter. I never really did and finished college. I am in my early 40s now and when i play with my friends/kids I can still kick the ball into the end zone from a kickoff distance and I can punt pretty well. I always thought it was a shame I never gave it a serious chance. So I say this, if you can balance your family, college, and athletics then go for it. Talk to some of the guys in athletics and explain your situation : Good luck and WPS.

Hogsmo Kramer

Speaking of never quitting and chasing dreams I'm actually watching my all time favorite movie next to "Rudy" in "Cinderella Man" right now.

Don't know what it is but I always seem to get something in my eye everytime I watch either of them.  ;D