Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Last minute disappointments in recruiting

Started by bruisemeister, February 03, 2015, 03:05:21 am

Previous topic - Next topic

bruisemeister

I know everyone is disappointed by the probability of a last second defection of a prized player. I know some still have hopes but it does not look good. Never fear. Lets relive some disappointments from the past. You may not feel as bad. I not so keen on the years but I do know about how things turned out.

The late 70's-Chet Winters. This highly regarded back(I think out of Jacksonville)chose Oklahoma over his home state Hogs. He probably had dreams of being the next Billy Sims. He was a starter late in his career for the sooners but was usually the 4th option in the wishbone attack. He finished with just over 700 career rushing yards and spent a year in the NFL. The Hogs on the other hand had a couple of out of state signees to play running back. Darryl Bowles finished his career with over 1500 rushing yards and Gary Anderson finished just under 2000. However, it was Anderson's all purpose yardage that he became known for. He ran back punts, kickoffs, caught passes along with his great rushing. He ended up making a Pro Bowl with the Chargers.

The early 80's-Eric Mitchell. Some say Lou Holtz was fired because he failed to sign this QB out of Pine Bluff. He was Michael Vick when Michael Vick was a toddler. All was not lost. Mitchell ended up getting passed over at OU by a walk on named Jamel Hollieway. He ended up being a 4th string running back when Charles Thompson took his #2 QB spot away. Since OU was loaded at QB with Hollieway, Mitchell and Troy Aikman,they passed over guy out of their own state. The Hogs ended up settling on him. He was Quinn Grovey.

Cedric Houston-Losing Houston hurt but this was healed a little by signing Darius Howard. Houston ended up having a good but not earth shattering career with Tennessee. He even played a little pro ball. The Hogs would have loved to have him but were perfectly content with the top rushing attack in the SEC during the time he played with guys like Fred Talley, Howard, Cedric Cobbs and QB Matt Jones.

Matt Stoltz-Hog fans were upset when this linebacker chose LSU over his home state Hogs. However, some personal issues came up and he ended up being a Hog in the end but never played.

Roy Upchurch-Who? Hog fans thought the world had ended when this blue chip running back signed with Alabama in 2005. His loss made room for another runner named Felix Jones. The Hog fans also had forgot about an early commitment who many felt would play safety named Darren McFadden. We know how these guys did. As for Upchurch. He got lost in a numbers game for the Tide. He could never break the starting line up with Alabama's bevy of great runners such as Glen Coffee, Terry Grant and Mark Ingram. He finished with just under 1000 career rushing yards.

Michael Dyer- Ok. This one kinda hurt...or did it? He was MVP of the BCS title game for Auburn in his Freshman year. He exceeded 1000 yards. He went on to become All SEC in his sophomore year. However, he soon had some off the field problems and left the Tigers. There was an opportunity for him to become a Hog a couple of years ago but Coach B was satisfied with his one two punch of Alex Collins and Jonathan Williams. Would the Hogs have won a national title in his freshman year like Auburn? No. They would have if they had Cam Newton at QB. In fact, Knile Davis had more rushing yards than Dyer that season.

DGB- Oh that one hurt. The Hogs have yet to find a receiver in his mold. However, it ended up the Hogs saved a lot of drama getting passed over by him.

Altee TenPenny- He chose Bama over his home state Hogs. However he never could get any significant playing time with T.J. Yeldon, Derrick Henry and the Drake. The Hogs would have loved to had him but were perfectly content with Alex Collins rushing for 1000 in his first two seasons.

I hope Hog fans feel better now. The ones in the past that really hurt are the ones we don't think about. Who knew Willie Roaf had not finished growing? Who really heard about Cortez Kennedy out of high school? We spent so much time thinking about Houston and Howard, that D'Angelo Williams was not really given a good look. Why didn't they give Charles Clay a shot? I think Coach B won't make those mistakes.

RobGob

+1. Thanks for the read. 

Here's something that's NOT a disappointment:

RD just tweeted that Kendrick Jackson has re-opened his recruitment.  Probably means he is a hog.   :razorback: :razorback:

usf15cc

that was a great read thanks for posting :razorback:

bighog77

Is this possible defection a commit or someone not committed. If its someone not or was once committed im not losing sleep over him or them. Coach has got us in the right direction. Yes I know its not probable were are going to get any more top ranked recruits but i am still looking forward for the future of this program even thought I wish we were one of those schools getting numurous top recruits at the end.

SemperFi

Some people wonder all their lives if they've made a difference. The Marines don't have that problem. - Ronald Reagan

Hawgzinbowlz

Hoggish1

I was feeling good before I read it, but thanks!

DeltaBoy

Cedric Houston was lied to by Nutt and his staff who tryed to get him to play safety.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hawginbigd1

Not bad info, but a couple of things you are slightly off on:

Jamel Holliway could have went to any school in the country, and was more highly rated than Mitchell, which is the biggest reason i could not believe EM went there, and seems i was right about that.

Not sure i recall this Mcfadden playing safety stuff either, I am pretty sure he would have been great at it, but he was here to be the stud RB.

I have always been upset and rightfully so about Howard over Houston and Williams. Love Talley, but he was not better than Houston or Williams. If we had either of these(I prefer Williams and his speed) guys in the backfield with or to back up Cobbs with all his injuries we would have been much better.

hogfan870

Solomon Thomas - hoped we were going to get him last year.  Before that, last I remember was DGB

yraciv

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on February 03, 2015, 09:32:51 am
Not bad info, but a couple of things you are slightly off on:

Jamel Holliway could have went to any school in the country, and was more highly rated than Mitchell, which is the biggest reason i could not believe EM went there, and seems i was right about that.

Not sure i recall this Mcfadden playing safety stuff either, I am pretty sure he would have been great at it, but he was here to be the stud RB.

I have always been upset and rightfully so about Howard over Houston and Williams. Love Talley, but he was not better than Houston or Williams. If we had either of these(I prefer Williams and his speed) guys in the backfield with or to back up Cobbs with all his injuries we would have been much better.

Nailed my thoughts, but good post none the less. McFadden did play Safety in High School, but noone seriously thought he was anything other than the next great RB.  Like Nutt would let an athlete like that go from his prized position to defense.  He got that one right!

hawginbigd1

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 03, 2015, 09:39:21 am
Solomon Thomas - hoped we were going to get him last year.  Before that, last I remember was DGB
I really believe Richard Sherman is the reason we didn't get Solly.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: bruisemeister on February 03, 2015, 03:05:21 am
I know everyone is disappointed by the probability of a last second defection of a prized player.

I'm trying to decipher this statement.  Are you suggesting there's a current commit that likely jumps ship between now and NSD?  Or is this just a reference to Hill and/or Weathersby?
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

bigdaddyhawg

Recruiting is about a bunch of disappointment.  At least if you're a Hog fan.

IMO that's simply part of the reality of things for the UA.  Really, that not just the reality for the UA, but for pretty much every single CF program out there.  I guess the perpetual top 5, i.e. Bama, FSU, LSU, USCW, etc, experience far less than the rest of us.

That's why you offer something like 75-100 kids and only sign 25.  You get rejected by the vast majority.

It is painful when one of the top in state kids leaves us year after year, but I think that's more attributable to those kids having stars in their eyes, and recent Razorback history has not been the type of success those kids believe they need to be involved with.

I tend to take exception with one of those top kids if he disses our program as he leaves, or he commits and makes promises, then disregards them.

But I, like the rest of you, long for the day when the University of Arkansas starts and ends strong, fills a class with top recruits, gets every in state recruit we wanted, and get all the recruiting class adulation that comes with a Top 10 class.

We may have to wait a few more years to experience that joy, though.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

justmakeit2thebcs

worst ever was basketball ---Anfernee Hardaway

scruf

There's at least one every year (player who won't be named) where you say, "How did they lose him?" but there's also at least one surprise every year (Froholdt), a player who you're like, "How did they get him?"

searkhogfan

Love the comparisons.  All is not lost or won on KJ, or any other player.

On a side note.  Hatfield was the coach when Mitchell signed with OU.  Woo Pig

flagstaffhog

Besides Kieth Jackson, has any in-state recruit ever left and had much success in football?

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: flagstaffhog on February 03, 2015, 06:42:55 pm
Besides Kieth Jackson, has any in-state recruit ever left and had much success in football?

Go HOGS Go!

A few, not many.

Leslie O'Neal was an AA at Okie State, and a stud. 

Another kid, James White maybe, went from Hot Springs to Okie State and was very good in the DL.

That stud DL from Wilson Rivercrest that went to Miami was an AA and first rounder, HOFer.

There was an OL from Ft. Smith that went to OU and had a very nice career for them.

I'm sure there are a few more.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

TrueBlue

Go HOGS Go!

definitely Keith Jackson

Also in the '70's Philip Dokes

PintailKiller

DeAngelo Williams went to Memphis and has done pretty good.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

PintailKiller

Go HOGS Go!

Also - Kevin WIlliams from Fordyce or maybe Camden.  Now with the Seahawks.
"Just take the ball and throw it where you want to. Throw strikes. Home plate don't move."

intoxhog

Quote from: PintailKiller on February 03, 2015, 06:51:41 pm
DeAngelo Williams went to Memphis and has done pretty good.
Didn't he fax his LOI to Nutt and it simply said NO. LOL

Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

PintailKiller

Quote from: intoxhog on February 03, 2015, 06:59:59 pm
Didn't he fax his LOI to Nutt and it simply said NO. LOL

Seems like I remember it that way.

flagstaffhog

Well I forgot about Deangelo Williams. Yes, I would consider him successful in both the college and professional levels.

If I remember correctly,  Philip Dokes was a humongus lineman for his time (300+ pounds), and an Okie St. Cowboy. I just didnt know he was an Arkansan...

Go HOGS Go!
Go HOGS Go!

Tusks

There's been plenty more.  I remember an OL from Newport that went to TN.  Started a couple games before getting kicked off the team before his SR year.  Greg Jones another OL from J'boro that also went to TN.

Where is Brett Smith & Cedric Houston now.  Where do they live.  I remember CH committed to hootie on hootie's birthday.

Now that we know what we know about $TN$ I'm not surprised at all that they got players from AR back in the day.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

Qhog

Good post by the OP!  The sky is not falling.

10yrsofhell

Wasn't there a La lber named robert peace or pierce that was related to Joe Ferguson that ended up at TN. Wonder what happened to that guy.
"Who controls the past controls the future. Who controls the present controls the past."
― George Orwell, 1984
"Every record has been destroyed or falsified, every book rewritten, every picture has been repainted, every statue and street building has been renamed, every date has been altered. And the process is continuing day by day and minute by minute. History has stopped. Nothing exists except an endless present in which the Party is always right."
― George Orwell, 1984

jseinfeld50

Quote from: flagstaffhog on February 03, 2015, 07:01:43 pm
Well I forgot about Deangelo Williams. Yes, I would consider him successful in both the college and professional levels.

If I remember correctly,  Philip Dokes was a humongus lineman for his time (300+ pounds), and an Okie St. Cowboy. I just didnt know he was an Arkansan...

Go HOGS Go!

He was 6'6" 250-260 lbs at NLR Ole Main. Brothers Phil and Michael were both unusually large for Arkansas HS lineman in the 70's.

old hog

Not sure of timeline, but my biggest disappointment was Basil Shabazz signing a pro contract with the Cards, I believe. Oh what coud have been.......

bigbadhog

Troy Aikman was interested in the Razorbacks but was not a fit with hatfield's sorry offense.  Thumped us in the cotton bowl...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

bruisemeister

Quote from: tusked on February 03, 2015, 07:11:01 pm
There's been plenty more.  I remember an OL from Newport that went to TN.  Started a couple games before getting kicked off the team before his SR year.  Greg Jones another OL from J'boro that also went to TN.

Where is Brett Smith & Cedric Houston now.  Where do they live.  I remember CH committed to hootie on hootie's birthday.

Now that we know what we know about $TN$ I'm not surprised at all that they got players from AR back in the day.
[/quote
I had forgot Brett Smith and the Warren 3. I remember the irony in 2006 (his final year). He scored a touchdown late in the Hogs blowout against his Vols. Marcus Monk made us forget about him.

Keyser Sooieze

great post.  +1 and thanks for the memories.

redeye

I don't even remember Roy Upchurch, but there was a span of years during that time when I quit following recruiting.

Might throw Harold James on there also.  He was a rivals100 RB out of Osceola who chose Alabama in 2000, but after a year in Tuscaloosa, and an impending NCAA investigation, they suddenly discovered his entrance exam scores were invalid.  Harold switched to safety and attended a couple of JUCO's, but I'm not sure he ever played D1 football again.

redswarmrising

Quote from: hogfan870 on February 03, 2015, 09:39:21 am

and another one from last year - Josh Frazier

bob slydell

Quote from: tusked on February 03, 2015, 07:11:01 pm

Reggie Coleman from J'boro went to Tenn and was pretty good there and played in the NFL.

Cortez Kennedy and Willie Roaf were both studs in college and are now HOFers.

Jeremy Parnell from Gosnell is in the NFL now. Of course he left the state to go play bball at OM.
*this is not a criticism of moderatin.

searkhogfan

I took the post by the OP, to mean players the hogs tried to sign.  A lot of the guys being named were not Offered by the Hogs.