Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Reed to announce around 10 on NSD

Started by ricepig, February 02, 2015, 03:32:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jcpack

"Uncommon" (D) is my version of saying that there's a good possibility that runningbacku, (who is the poster on the other board) that left the comment the above posts are talking about could be correct or full of it? Who knows?

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: TX HOG on February 02, 2015, 10:20:07 pm
If he wants to be a Hog, why hasn't he taken algebra?

He is taking it but he needs to finish the semester.

Uncommon

Quote from: jcpack on February 02, 2015, 10:22:14 pm
"Uncommon" (D) is my version of saying that there's a good possibility that runningbacku, (who is the poster on the other board) that left the comment the above posts are talking about could be correct or full of it? Who knows?
You didn't get my Jeopardy! reference.

TX HOG

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on February 02, 2015, 10:23:21 pm
He is taking it but need to finish the semester.

So he's taking it? Sounds good for us. If we was going to texas, why take the class??

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: TX HOG on February 02, 2015, 10:24:28 pm
So he's taking it? Sounds good for us. If we was going to texas, why take the class??

He is taking it, the problem, or issue is that he will not finish the semester for a few more months. That means that if you save a spot for him and he does not qualify then you "wasted" a spot. With that safety from IMG walking on and some of the other players in the walkon program I say take the chance on reed and if it does not qualify then use his scholarship on one of the walkons.

PS: I think his hope is to get an offer, qualify and be a hog, TU is the backup plan because the Big12 has more flexible academic rules. (In case we decide not to take a chance on him).

TX HOG

So it sounds like it's up to us. I was thinking he was high on the horns as well. they are his back up plan. Really wish he would've already taken care of it...

jcpack

Quote from: Uncommon on February 02, 2015, 10:24:12 pm
You didn't get my Jeopardy! reference.
Gotcha! I'm getting old and am not nearly as whitty as I once was! But, I can appreciate a good jeopardy reference!

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: TX HOG on February 02, 2015, 10:31:26 pm
So it sounds like it's up to us. I was thinking he was high on the horns as well. they are his back up plan. Really wish he would've already taken care of it...

Yeah me too. We need a good JUCO football program in-state to help these kids and funnel them back to the UofA.

HogFoo

Quote from: WriterWrong on February 02, 2015, 04:13:41 pm
He's probably a very good player, I just never felt like we were really interested in getting him to Arkansas. We just went the JuCo route with Hollister last year and he didn't have much impact in year 1. JuCo players are a gamble. Some pay off and some don't, which I think is why Bielema now prefers to get a kid straight out of high school and start developing them. Not just having 2 years with a kid.
Jucos aren't so much a gamble as it is they just need to be redshirted a year to acclimate to upper divisions.  Look at spaight for example.  He didn't do anything until this past season.  Tretola actually wasn't doing much till later in the season.  Anyways, it's just usually better if we can redshirt a player before they see the field.  It always works out best.  I would have loved to have had spaight again this next season.  If Reed does qualify, and his grades are the only reason why we wouldn't take him, I hope he gets redshirted. 
Basketball is back, baseball always, football was a dumpster fire once again..... but as the phoenix rose from the ashes, BMF Petrino has risen again!!! Lots to look forward to.  <br /><br />As the rain falls, I realize, that some where out there, some one, is wearing a mask while they shower............

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: swinemaster on February 02, 2015, 05:41:11 pm
To expound on another poster's reply, I think Martrell Spaight pretty much destroys your theory about CBB and JUCO players.  Martrell played and contributed less than Hollister in his first year here.  We all know what he did in his second year.  Why don't you give Hollister his second year before you call him a bust? 

And OBVIOUSLY you build a program with high school players.  You don't have 10 JUCOs in a class.  BUT, like Ledbetter, if you have one or two at positions that need immediate depth, you take them.

I'm gonna call you "The Bus Driver" cause you just took that fool to school..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

southeasthog

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on February 02, 2015, 10:29:22 pm
He is taking it, the problem, or issue is that he will not finish the semester for a few more months. That means that if you save a spot for him and he does not qualify then you "wasted" a spot. With that safety from IMG walking on and some of the other players in the walkon program I say take the chance on reed and if it does not qualify then use his scholarship on one of the walkons.

PS: I think his hope is to get an offer, qualify and be a hog, TU is the backup plan because the Big12 has more flexible academic rules. (In case we decide not to take a chance on him).
This is the problem. If we take a chance and let him sign a Scholarship and he doesn't qualify, then there is no Scholarship to give to a walkon. If they sign, it counts whether they make it to campus or not. That is the dilemma.

Chief Mac

Quote from: HogFoo on February 02, 2015, 10:41:06 pm
Jucos aren't so much a gamble as it is they just need to be redshirted a year to acclimate to upper divisions.  Look at spaight for example.  He didn't do anything until this past season.  Tretola actually wasn't doing much till later in the season.  Anyways, it's just usually better if we can redshirt a player before they see the field.  It always works out best.  I would have loved to have had spaight again this next season.  If Reed does qualify, and his grades are the only reason why we wouldn't take him, I hope he gets redshirted. 

so I guess Tretola should've redshirted last year based on your thought process
"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

onebadrubi

Quote from: ShadowTheHedgehog on February 02, 2015, 10:14:20 pm
Give him a commitable offer. If he qualifies that is just great and we have a great player at WR that can come in and help, if he does not qualify then we have an open scholly to use on some of those stud walkons we are getting.

If you do that and he doesn't qualify the only benefit them becomes one less scholy the athletic department pays for.  Can't be given to someone else for two years, I believe

ricepig

Quote from: Chris McWilliams on February 03, 2015, 06:31:57 am
so I guess Tretola should've redshirted last year based on your thought process

Yeah, he didn't play much, probably third or fourth series in the Auburn game......

Gone Hoggin

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 02, 2015, 05:42:47 pm
You should read the comment about K.J. under this article by RD.  Sounds very promising!!

RBU has accurate information.  The only thing in there that I saw that is debatable is the 70%-30%

hogcard1964

colbs

RD said they will take Reed if he wants to be a hog.

RazorPiggie

ShadowTheHedgehog

Quote from: onebadrubi on February 03, 2015, 06:45:02 am
If you do that and he doesn't qualify the only benefit them becomes one less scholy the athletic department pays for.  Can't be given to someone else for two years, I believe

Hmmm really? I thought it would go back if they did not qualify at all. Thanks, makes sense. (Thanks for the info).

How early can you give a scholly to a walkon? In cases like this would it not make sense to ask the player to be a preferred walkon and then have the scholly ready for them as soon as the qualify and make it to campus?

hawg1221

Quote from: Gone Hoggin on February 03, 2015, 08:05:05 am
RBU has accurate information.  The only thing in there that I saw that is debatable is the 70%-30%

He later changed it to 80%-20% in another comment.  What he said seems very believable.

Gone Hoggin

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 03, 2015, 08:50:04 am
He later changed it to 80%-20% in another comment.  What he said seems very believable.

He is 99%....other factors bring the overall percentage down

WriterWrong

Quote from: swinemaster on February 02, 2015, 05:41:11 pm
To expound on another poster's reply, I think Martrell Spaight pretty much destroys your theory about CBB and JUCO players.  Martrell played and contributed less than Hollister in his first year here.  We all know what he did in his second year.  Why don't you give Hollister his second year before you call him a bust? 

And OBVIOUSLY you build a program with high school players.  You don't have 10 JUCOs in a class.  BUT, like Ledbetter, if you have one or two at positions that need immediate depth, you take them.

The only thing I'm making my opinions on are what Bielema said in his season-closing conference.
What he said was he doesn't think he wants to go the JuCo route as much as he has in the past. He wants to focus on full-qualifiers out of high school. He also said that obviously you'd take a kid like Spaight every chance you get.
Nobody knew Spaight was going to be All-SEC. The coaches certainly believed he could be a difference maker and brought him in and it worked out really well.
But, if you go back and read through what Bielema said during that press conference it doesn't sound like he's seeking JuCo kids that much.
Doesn't mean we won't sign Reed. Like I said, if the kid can play and the coaches want him, I hope we get him.

hogcard1964

Quote from: hawg1221 on February 03, 2015, 08:50:04 am

So the 80 is Bama and the 20 is Ohio St.?

Been10Hog

Quote from: southeasthog on February 03, 2015, 06:04:40 am
This is the problem. If we take a chance and let him sign a Scholarship and he doesn't qualify, then there is no Scholarship to give to a walkon. If they sign, it counts whether they make it to campus or not. That is the dilemma.
Wrong! Doesn't work that way. We don't lose a scholarship if someone doen't come. We can give one to a walkon any time if it's available.

nationwish

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 03, 2015, 10:32:28 am
Wrong! Doesn't work that way. We don't lose a scholarship if someone doen't come. We can give one to a walkon any time if it's available.

He could mean we lose the number against our signing limit. Also, if he doesn't qualify, you would almost have to give it to a walk on going into his third or fourth year. Otherwise, that would also count against the 25, not just total scholarships.

Tim Harris

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 03, 2015, 10:32:28 am

We lose one of the 25 though.

If we sign 25 this year even if he doesn't make it to campus them we still only get to sign 25 next year.  If we don't sign him and say only sign 24 then we would be allowed to sign 26 next year.

As far as the walkons go we would only give them a scholarship if they had been here for 2 years.  If not then they count back to the class they were in.

ricepig

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 03, 2015, 11:46:04 am

If we sign 25 this year even if he doesn't make it to campus them we still only get to sign 25 next year.  If we don't sign him and say only sign 24 then we would be allowed to sign 26 next year.

As far as the walkons go we would only give them a scholarship if they had been here for 2 years.  If not then they count back to the class they were in.

Ok, help me out on Reed, he's telling the coaching staff, then tweeting later. It doesn't sound like he's signing a LOI in that scenario, does it?

Been10Hog

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 03, 2015, 11:46:04 am

Right. We lose 1 of the 25 that ended up not being used if you give it to a walkon. Then the scholarship is being used and does count. But, if you have an "empty" one available why not give it to a walkon for busting his rear and pay for his school until the next class comes along. One year of tuition and housing is not cheap. Coach Hatfield used to do that over the summer to pay for selected walkons' summer school as a reward for working hard.

ricepig

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 03, 2015, 11:52:58 am
Right. We lose 1 of the 25 that ended up not being used if you give it to a walkon. Then the scholarship is being used and does count. But, if you have an "empty" one available why not give it to a walkon for busting his rear and pay for his school until the next class comes along. One year of tuition and housing is not cheap. Coach Hatfield used to do that over the summer to pay for selected walkons' summer school as a reward for working hard.

If we sign 25 to LOI's, and one doesn't make it(Pruitt), then you lose that spot. You always have your 85 number to deal with, if you sign 23/yr.

Been10Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2015, 11:55:27 am
If we sign 25 to LOI's, and one doesn't make it(Pruitt), then you lose that spot. You always have your 85 number to deal with, if you sign 23/yr.
You lose the opportunity to bring someone else in, but you can offer that financial aid to someone who is already on campus if you don't go over the 85. Pruitt's scholarship could have been given to a walkon for a year then give it to a new recruit and the walkon has to pay his way again. It's still a year of not having to pay room/board

secneahog

Reed is announcing at his old high school...hmm mmm

:razorback:
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

MAL3

Quote from: secneahog on February 03, 2015, 03:20:08 pm

If DR signs with UA, they won't have to worry about missing out on a NLR high school player. Reed is ready right now.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: secneahog on February 03, 2015, 03:20:08 pm

His cousin announced he will be a walk-on at AR. Adds to the mix.
This is my non-signature signature.

ricepig

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 03, 2015, 12:41:23 pm
You lose the opportunity to bring someone else in, but you can offer that financial aid to someone who is already on campus if you don't go over the 85. Pruitt's scholarship could have been given to a walkon for a year then give it to a new recruit and the walkon has to pay his way again. It's still a year of not having to pay room/board

Or, Pruitt's scholarship could have been carried over allowing us to sign 26 this year. If you give the scholarship to a freshman or sophomore, it counts against their class.

secneahog

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 03, 2015, 03:41:33 pm
His cousin announced he will be a walk-on at AR. Adds to the mix.

I I didn't know phillips was his cousin.  6'4 ....4.3 speed please! !
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

WooPig90

Quote from: secneahog on February 03, 2015, 03:45:28 pm
I I didn't know phillips was his cousin.  6'4 ....4.3 speed please! !

Not phillips, Byron keaton the CB

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 03, 2015, 03:46:58 pm

Call me the eternal optimist. We will land Reed & Hill.

secneahog

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 03, 2015, 03:46:58 pm

+1 thanks. I just read that it was Keaton.  Solid walk on guys.

ricepig

Quote from: Großer Kriegschwein on February 03, 2015, 03:51:08 pm
Call me the eternal optimist. We will land Reed & Hill.

Some might say crazy........

Been10Hog

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2015, 03:42:15 pm
Or, Pruitt's scholarship could have been carried over allowing us to sign 26 this year. If you give the scholarship to a freshman or sophomore, it counts against their class.
Why not give it to a walkon for the 2014-2015 academic year when Pruitt and no one else is using it, then take it to apply to this class. Giving us 26 for this class. The walkon got a free year and now goes back to paying own way as they had initially intended. He gives up the scholarship after 1 year. It is added to this years class giving us the chance to sign 26.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 03, 2015, 03:56:33 pm
Why not give it to a walkon for the 2014-2015 academic year when Pruitt and no one else is using it, then take it to apply to this class. Giving us 26 for this class. The walkon got a free year and now goes back to paying own way as they had initially intended. He gives up the scholarship after 1 year. It is added to this years class giving us the chance to sign 26.

[attachment deleted by admin]

ricepig

Quote from: Been10Hog on February 03, 2015, 03:56:33 pm

It will be used, we always will have 85 on scholarship.

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: ricepig on February 03, 2015, 03:55:12 pm
Some might say crazy........

Not really crazy....I just think things are way way too weird to guess at, so I'm reverting to being optimistic.

Calling All Hogs

Reed having to only pass one more class he is enrolled in does not seem like much of a risk.

masshog2412

Quote from: MAL3 on February 03, 2015, 03:39:37 pm
If DR signs with UA, they won't have to worry about missing out on a NLR high school player. Reed is ready right now.
This
NLR announces at 9 and Reed at 10? interesting...