Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Luc Bequette

Started by SquidBilly, February 01, 2015, 05:49:07 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bigdaddyhawg

If this is a really critical kid because he's this "legacy", and it would be just swell for him to be a Razorback, then let the kid walk on and earn his scholarship.

If his parents can afford him to go to Catholic High (didn't Debbie Thomas become a physician?) then they can afford to send him to college and give him the opportunity to earn that schollie.

Problem solved and the world can keep spinning on its' axis.

Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Hogman2

He is awfully small to play on the Arkansas O-line!  6'2" 250 is a full back or linebacker if he is fast enough!  Legacy scholarships are fine IF the player is BETTER than other players recruited at the same position!  IF NOT, NO!

ImHogginIt

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 02, 2015, 08:20:23 am
Last I read Florida was looking at him as a Center and not on the DL.  That could have changed by now but if not would you rather have him or Rogers?

If we lose the big OL from Houston the yes go get him

secneahog

Quote from: ImHogginIt on February 02, 2015, 09:30:30 am
If we lose the big OL from Houston the yes go get him

RD said without weathersby the staff is still happy with the 4 oline guys they've signed.  Their not going to reach just bc we have a scholarship
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

duckman

My take on legacy recruits, would you offer if his last name wasn't Bequette?  If so go get him, if not pass....

On a side note, 247 lists him as a 6'2" 250 lb DE while Rivals has him as a 6'2" 285 lb DT.  Which is it?  Pretty big difference there.

ArkansasI

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 02, 2015, 08:38:22 am
If this is a really critical kid because he's this "legacy", and it would be just swell for him to be a Razorback, then let the kid walk on and earn his scholarship.

If his parents can afford him to go to Catholic High (didn't Debbie Thomas become a physician?) then they can afford to send him to college and give him the opportunity to earn that schollie.

Why would any recruit with an offer from Cal pay to attend Fayetteville - or any other school?

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 02, 2015, 11:13:00 am
Why would any recruit with an offer from Cal pay to attend Fayetteville - or any other school?

Because he desired so strongly to be a Razorback, and his family can afford the cost of his education.  It happens quite frequently.  Not always with Cal, but it does happen.

My point was if it's so freaking important for him to play at the UA, what with his last name being Bequette and all, then let him walk on.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Mr. Prozac

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 02, 2015, 08:38:22 am

Catholic High School is cheap as private schools go. No comparison in costs.

That's not to say the coaches should or should not offer a scholarship.

ArkansasI

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 02, 2015, 11:27:59 am
Because he desired so strongly to be a Razorback, and his family can afford the cost of his education.  It happens quite frequently.  Not always with Cal, but it does happen.

My point was if it's so freaking important for him to play at the UA, what with his last name being Bequette and all, then let him walk on.
Really?  I can't name a single example of that ever happening in Fayetteville.  Maybe a player that doesn't have another major college offer... but that isn't what we are discussing.

Luc has an offer from Cal and is being considered by Florida.  Having watched a tiny bit of his tape, I saw a good sized kid that was high energy and played through the whistle.

Knowing the investment the family has in the Razorbacks, it seems Luc is just the type of player you'd want on campus to help grow the program.  Since all recruits are a bit of a crap shoot, I consider Luc worthy of a gamble.

I am sure that Luc is free to walk on at Arkansas.  However, it doesn't take a doctor, a lawyer and a smart kid very long to figure out the better offer.

Good luck to Luc!  If we've got an available scholly, I'd still love to see it offered to him.  I would be shocked if he disappointed any of us.

Pork Twain

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 01, 2015, 07:37:17 pm

How is your career as a coach going? Oh really, you must at least be an nfl scout...?

I for one will trust the guy up on the hill making millions of bucks a year to decide these things.
Well...Has the guy on the Hill made an offer yet?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 02, 2015, 12:10:11 pm
Really?  I can't name a single example of that ever happening in Fayetteville.  Maybe a player that doesn't have another major college offer... but that isn't what we are discussing.

Luc has an offer from Cal and is being considered by Florida.  Having watched a tiny bit of his tape, I saw a good sized kid that was high energy and played through the whistle.

Knowing the investment the family has in the Razorbacks, it seems Luc is just the type of player you'd want on campus to help grow the program.  Since all recruits are a bit of a crap shoot, I consider Luc worthy of a gamble.

I am sure that Luc is free to walk on at Arkansas.  However, it doesn't take a doctor, a lawyer and a smart kid very long to figure out the better offer.

Good luck to Luc!  If we've got an available scholly, I'd still love to see it offered to him.  I would be shocked if he disappointed any of us.

You can afford to take this stance -- your job is not on the line in any way about which recruits we sign or don't sign.

I find it comical, and especially so with this kid.  If there was any doubt, don't you think CBB would LOVE to offer and sign this kid?  That's the easy way out, one which several of our former mediocre recruiting coaches would have taken.

I find it laudable and encouraging that our current HC isn't simply taking the "softer, easier path".

Pork Twain

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 02, 2015, 12:38:56 pm
You can afford to take this stance -- your job is not on the line in any way about which recruits we sign or don't sign.

I find it comical, and especially so with this kid.  If there was any doubt, don't you think CBB would LOVE to offer and sign this kid?  That's the easy way out, one which several of our former mediocre recruiting coaches would have taken.

I find it laudable and encouraging that our current HC isn't simply taking the "softer, easier path".
Sounds a lot like the coach we had before CBP.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ArkansasI

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 02, 2015, 12:38:56 pm

I don't understand why you're hammering away at this.  All I'm offering is some support and good luck for a local kid.

For the record, I 100% support Bret's recruiting and completely understand that my job isn't on the line.  I indicated in my reply that I would welcome an offer to Luc if we have an available scholarship.  When I read that a player that we previously thought would commit to us is now looking more likely to go elsewhere, and the next offers we learn about play at unrelated positions, I figure we've got an available scholly...

I know that I'm not a professional evaluator of high school football talent.  But you highlight one sentence in my post in an effort to make me sound like I would approach recruiting like a blind man at a dart throwing contest.

Lighten up...  I understand why Luc doesn't have an offer.  However, I can see that other men who depend upon coaching and recruiting for their paycheck are prepared to gamble on Luc.  As a lifelong Razorback, this kid is family to me.  Maybe it's not as comical as you make it sound.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 02, 2015, 01:07:57 pm
I don't understand why you're hammering away at this.  All I'm offering is some support and good luck for a local kid.

I apologize if I'm hammering away at this, but there is an issue in this I find particularly bothersome.

There are always "local boys" being pushed in the Recruiting Forum on Hogville, and that's not really something I care for to begin with.  IMO if the kid is good enough to play, the coaching staff with find them and offer them.

But there has also been the sport of second guessing any and every Arkansas kid that didn't get offered anytime that kid does anything at the school that did offer him.  The folks playing that sport like to use terms like "we missed on him", or "we should have offered".

It's all mental masturbation from people who have nothing at stake.  It takes no effort or discrimination of thought to say "we should offer him, he's an Arkansas kid".  Those people have nothing to lose in the matter, have no real information in the matter, and need to just be silent on the entire matter.

And I abhor second guessing.  It's lazy mentally and intillectually, and it's too easy to do.  I have been bothered by all the media second guessing Pete Carroll's decision on the goal line last night.  People who are absolutely clueless about pretty much everything about football are acting like they know better than a SB winning coach and his staff.  It's stupid.  It's arrogant.  And I dislike both of those qualities.

But let me ask you this: why does a kid from Arkansas have some need or entitlement above some kid from Texas, or Alabama, or Florida?

You guys want Luc Bequette to get that schollie that more deservedly goes to another kid based on football talent, but additionally perhaps that out of state kid has more need based on other factors.  Who are you to make that decision, not really knowing either kid or either situation?

Mike Irwin

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 02, 2015, 12:10:11 pm

He was at the Arkansas-Florida game basketball game with his dad. I was working and didn't get a chance to talk to them to find out if he was on an official visit.

ArkansasI

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 02, 2015, 01:26:12 pm
But let me ask you this: why does a kid from Arkansas have some need or entitlement above some kid from Texas, or Alabama, or Florida?

You guys want Luc Bequette to get that schollie that more deservedly goes to another kid based on football talent, but additionally perhaps that out of state kid has more need based on other factors.  Who are you to make that decision, not really knowing either kid or either situation?
I appreciate the reply, but reject your premise.  I think you're still overthinking my posts regarding Luc - I am assuming that we are offering players that are not more talented than Luc.  And since when are football scholarships offered on need or entitlement?  Football coaches have to recruit and award scholarships to the best players available.  That's it...

I don't mind advancing the argument that when all other things being equal, a kid from Arkansas should get the nod over a kid from out of state.  In-state kids have paid taxes to our flagship, so they are more invested in the resources than kids from out of state.

Of course, determining when "all other things being equal" occurs is a mighty complicated thing... but you shouldn't base your argument on the idea that kids Bret is offering have no other offers on the table.  Most kids with a scholarship offer from the University of Arkansas have options.

This is a Razorback football site and I am unabashedly pro-Luc, not anti-anybody else.  Based upon what I know - admittedly, virtually nothing - I am rooting for Luc to get an offer.  That's it.  I was in school with his dad and I'd like him to be able to watch his son play for the team he loves and lives near.  California is a long way from Little Rock.

I have no connection with the other player(s) that will get an offer in lieu of Luc.  I wish them nothing but the best.

ArkansasI

Quote from: Mike Irwin on February 02, 2015, 01:30:45 pm
He was at the Arkansas-Florida game basketball game with his dad. I was working and didn't get a chance to talk to them to find out if he was on an official visit.
Thanks Mike.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: ArkansasI on February 02, 2015, 01:54:49 pm
I appreciate the reply, but reject your premise.  I think you're still overthinking my posts regarding Luc - I am assuming that we are offering players that are not more talented than Luc.  And since when are football scholarships offered on need or entitlement?  Football coaches have to recruit and award scholarships to the best players available.  That's it...

I don't mind advancing the argument that when all other things being equal, a kid from Arkansas should get the nod over a kid from out of state.  In-state kids have paid taxes to our flagship, so they are more invested in the resources than kids from out of state.

Of course, determining when "all other things being equal" occurs is a mighty complicated thing... but you shouldn't base your argument on the idea that kids Bret is offering have no other offers on the table.  Most kids with a scholarship offer from the University of Arkansas have options.

This is a Razorback football site and I am unabashedly pro-Luc, not anti-anybody else.  Based upon what I know - admittedly, virtually nothing - I am rooting for Luc to get an offer.  That's it.  I was in school with his dad and I'd like him to be able to watch his son play for the team he loves and lives near.  California is a long way from Little Rock.

I have no connection with the other player(s) that will get an offer in lieu of Luc.  I wish them nothing but the best.

I may have given the wrong impression -- my comments weren't aimed at you specifically.

And I don't really have a problem with much of anything you said.  I actually respect you clearly stating you "pro-Luc" position.

I'll just say that being "pro-Luc" may not be the best position for our coaching staff.

Rzrbk63

Quote from: bruisemeister on February 02, 2015, 02:39:44 am
First of all. Did he want to come to U of A? It sounds like both of his parents are well educated. CAL is one of those schools like Stanford and Vanderbilt where you can't blame a kid for going there if they have higher educational aspirations. It aint all about athletics. Considering professional football players have the shortest average career, academics should matter more to a young man.

I think Chris's senior season was 1987. He was the starting right tackle who lined up alongside Freddie Childress in 1986 and 1987. Those were some good lines.

I can tell you with almost certainty that if the Hogs offer he would jump to Fayetteville.  Being a Razorback is in his blood, and like others, I think if we have a scholarship available we should offer him.  He is definitely a better than average player with a huge upside.  If he has half the work ethic of his dad, who was in law school at the same time he was playing for the Hogs, he will continue to improve. 

Dan42AR

In my opinion we don't need him in the SEC unless it is with the Hogs. If he is good enough for most other SEC teams then we need him to keep the name legacy here at home. If we have an opening.

texas tush hog

Quote from: duckman on February 02, 2015, 09:44:03 am
My take on legacy recruits, would you offer if his last name wasn't Bequette?  If so go get him, if not pass....

On a side note, 247 lists him as a 6'2" 250 lb DE while Rivals has him as a 6'2" 285 lb DT.  Which is it?  Pretty big difference there.

Hatfield took a couple of Lindsey boys, who were marginal, and after about three years development, both turned out to be decent players. Same with Stephen Jones.  My question then, as now, is with the money that Big Jim and Jerry has, why are they not walking on. I was told that their scholarships would be repaid many times over. Politics is politics, but don't bite the hand that feeds you. Listening Jeffie, talk to Bret. Also Luc is going to be a helluva player, bank on it.

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 02, 2015, 03:35:53 pm
Hatfield took a couple of Lindsey boys, who were marginal and after about three years development both turned out to be decent players. Same with Steve Jones.  My question then as now is with the money that Big Jim and Jerry has, why are they not walking on. I was told that their scholarships woud be repaid many times over. Politics is politics but don't bite the hand that feeds you. Listening Jeffie, talk to Brett.

Who is Brett?

yraciv

My biggest problem with some fans is the demand for homegrown players.  I honestly believe some on here would rather have a lot of 2 star projects that lack major offers from their hometown, over higher rated players from out of state that the staff has determined more deserving of an offer. 

The coaches have seen Luc Bequette, and they know of the Bequette legacy at Arkansas.  They have obviously determined he is too much of a project and moved on.  His offer list is not overwhelming, so I'm assuming most major conference D1 coaches agree with that opinion. Still rooting for the young man though!

texas tush hog

ricepig

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 02, 2015, 03:40:41 pm
Fixed it, sorry my t finger was overactive.

No problem, all in fun....

texas tush hog

Quote from: yraciv on February 02, 2015, 03:40:10 pm
My biggest problem with some fans is the demand for homegrown players.  I honestly believe some on here would rather have a lot of 2 star projects that lack major offers from their hometown, over higher rated players from out of state that the staff has determined more deserving of an offer. 

The coaches have seen Luc Bequette, and they know of the Bequette legacy at Arkansas.  They have obviously determined he is too much of a project and moved on.  His offer list is not overwhelming, so I'm assuming most major conference D1 coaches agree with that opinion. Still rooting for the young man though!

I'm not demanding anything, especially homegrown players. Luc is a different story. Worth the gamble IMHO, as was George, Jay, Chris, Jake, Lindy, John David and Stephen. Not to mention a mother who was an Olympic Bronze medalist and an outstanding orthopedic surgeon. Might need that contact with the knee and joint injuries we have quite often these days. Have our own James Andrews on the sidelines. Pretty too. Okay so much for my sales pitch. Not going to do any good any way.

Hawgzinbowlz

If the young man is talented enough, he should walk on and show his skills. CBBs walk on program will extend a scholarship, if deserved. Coach Bielema has 0 qualms about a walk on receiving a scholarship, after the player proves his worth.
With the 25/85 numbers currently in place any questionable coaching decision could have negative implications for the program. Limited roster space.
We have some talented walk-ons coming. Reid Miller, IMG Academy...

" GO HOGS "

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: texas tush hog on February 02, 2015, 03:54:47 pm
I'm not demanding anything, especially homegrown players. Luc is a different story. Worth the gamble IMHO, as was George, Jay, Chris, Jake, Lindy, John David and Stephen. Not to mention a mother who was an Olympic Bronze medalist and an outstanding orthopedic surgeon. Might need that contact with the knee and joint injuries we have quite often these days. Have our own James Andrews on the sidelines. Pretty too. Okay so much for my sales pitch. Not going to do any good any way.

Now it's just getting silly.

All you Luc Lovers need to go and watch "The Junction Boys", about Bear Bryant's beginnings at TAMU.

Hint: the very first thing he did was to put an end to under-talented players being given scholarships because they were somebody's son, or friend, or cousin, or whatever.

I'm not completely sure, but I think it turned out he knew what he was doing.

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 02, 2015, 04:20:36 pm
Now it's just getting silly.

All you Luc Lovers need to go and watch "The Junction Boys", about Bear Bryant's beginnings at TAMU.

Hint: the very first thing he did was to put an end to under-talented players being given scholarships because they were somebody's son, or friend, or cousin, or whatever.

I'm not completely sure, but I think it turned out he knew what he was doing.

You had me until the bold. lol

" GO HOGS "

SquidBilly

There are 85 scholarship players allowed on a team.  If you go three deep at every position on offense and defense that is only 66.  And the specialists and you're at no more than 70.  That leaves 15 scholarships and you certainly don't want to waste those but at the same time it does give you one or two to take a flyer on a kid who has some ability and has a name legacy within the program.  Even if it turns out he is just a special teams guy for us it is worth a shot to give him a scholarship. 

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Bret Squealema on February 02, 2015, 05:50:46 pm
There are 85 scholarship players allowed on a team.  If you go three deep at every position on offense and defense that is only 66.  And the specialists and you're at no more than 70.  That leaves 15 scholarships and you certainly don't want to waste those but at the same time it does give you one or two to take a flyer on a kid who has some ability and has a name legacy within the program.  Even if it turns out he is just a special teams guy for us it is worth a shot to give him a scholarship.

I'm with you 100%, if CBB/Staff agree.

" GO HOGS "

redeye

Quote from: duckman on February 02, 2015, 09:44:03 am

That sums up my view as well, although I certainly wouldn't mind seeing another Bequette in an Arkansas uniform.  They have a reputation of exceeding expectations and I'd be surprised if Luc was different.  Plus, he seems like an outstanding young man.

Having said that, I don't think Bielema is interested in filling out the roster, just for the sake of filling out the roster.  If he doesn't think a player will ever contribute, I don't think that player receives an offer.  I think he'd rather save the schollie and use it for a transfer, a walk-on who's beginning to materialize or just save it for the next class.  When a good opportunity appears for another player unexpectedly, it would suck if you didn't have an available schollie for him and we don't have schollies freeing up like we have in the past.

Tim

Quote from: 1hogfan on February 01, 2015, 05:53:45 pm
His legacy should have earned him an offer. I can't believe it didn't.
Oh good grief.  This is big time college football, not a fraternity. 

Tim

Tim

Quote from: Ched "UglyUncle" Carpenter on February 01, 2015, 10:17:31 pm
Man, I totally agree.  I hate to let any of them get away.

Man, I totally disagree.  I will trust the head coach in this situation. 

Tim

greenie

The Bequette family is, no doubt, a great Razorback family.  I would love to see Luc join that tradition.  However, my a$$ is not on the line to get wins for the Hogs.  I think that CBB is a sentimental guy, but he also knows his mission and will likely only spend his precious scholarships on those he thinks is most likely to advance this program. 

Good luck to Luc.  I hope he's an All American somewhere.

Hawgzinbowlz

A lot of time, after Wednesday, to fill any open scholarships, 2015.

D-1 football signing period, (Regular Period) February 4, 2015 April 1, 2015.
http://www.nationalletter.org/

Bored waiting for Wednesday, so filling in the time with nonsense.

" GO HOGS "

ArmyOfnobunaga

Florida and Cal would take a bequette ..and .... If CBB is open to it... Im down with it.

There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

regi

Luc is a back up plan for the worst Florida recruiting class in my memory, they got their first consensus 4 star commit today, and he was a long time FIU commit. If Cowart signs with AU, Luc could get a signing day offer.

Uncommon

Quote from: regi on February 02, 2015, 07:14:41 pm
Luc is a back up plan for the worst Florida recruiting class in my memory, they got their first consensus 4 star commit today, and he was a long time FIU commit. If Cowart signs with AU, Luc could get a signing day offer.
FAU*

regi

Wooderson

Jake was not 6'5" 272 lbs when he was recruited. Luc could very well grow into a great player.

It really bothers me that posters trash Arkansas talent here.  I guarantee the majority of great players during the history of our program have been from Arkansas.  The top players from Arkansas are just as good as the top players from Florida, Texas, or California.  We just don't have as many of them.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

regi

Quote from: Wooderson on February 02, 2015, 07:36:17 pm
Jake was not 6'5" 272 lbs when he was recruited. Luc could very well grow into a great player.

It really bothers me that posters trash Arkansas talent here.  I guarantee the majority of great players during the history of our program have been from Arkansas.  The top players from Arkansas are just as good as the top players from Florida, Texas, or California.  We just don't have as many of them.

A 3 star from Little Rock just committed to Walk On. maybe Luc should. Sure they would take him

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: Wooderson on February 02, 2015, 07:36:17 pm

You need to wake up and smell the coffee, friend.

At any rate, nobody has "trashed" Luc.  It's not trashing the kid to say he apparently doesn't have top level D1 talent.

You folks are acting like we've run over your dog.

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 02, 2015, 07:45:36 pm

At any rate, nobody has "trashed" Luc.  It's not trashing the kid to say he apparently doesn't have top level D1 talent.

No man.... I get tired of people that see others with a different opinion and pull the "YOU ARE TRASHING A KID!?!" card.... its ludicrous. I see you guys opinion... and I simply disagree. I don't think the anti-Bequette people are bashing him in any way and you guys actually have good points.

I just look at the roster we have on schollie atm... and Id take him.

JJ watt ( I know... such an overdone example)... was like a 2 star or something.

If CBB is down with him. I am down with him.

And if CBB isn't down with him, I am down with him succeeding in life with me as a fan because I feel like I owe his family that much.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Wooderson

Quote from: bigdaddyhawg on February 02, 2015, 07:45:36 pm

Prove me wrong.
Give me liberty, or give me death!

AiredaleHog

Have any of you seen him play?? He was the opposite of dominant against a small Alma team. He was a good high school player but that doesn't equate to a scholarship.

redeye

Quote from: regi on February 02, 2015, 07:14:41 pm

Wow!  I think we were once recruiting Jordan Scarlett, so I bet Randy Shannon flipped him.  Nice pickup by the Gators.

They actually had several 4-star commits this year, but they all decommitted.  They had one left when Scarlett committed and it's rumored that he'll also decommit soon.

bigdaddyhawg