Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Instant Impact Newcomers

Started by GrizzlyRider07, January 31, 2015, 10:15:33 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HometownHawg

Quote from: Lake City Hog on January 31, 2015, 09:12:45 pm
We go thru this every freaking year! Someone please tell me which TRUE FRESHMAN O'Lineman is going to unseat Tretola or Skipper or Kirkland or Smothers or Ragnow or even Wallace. Hell, we even went thru this with Wallace last year and Koehler the year before!!!

Is Ledbetter going to come in and unseat Winston or Wise or even Mitch Loewen? NO, he won't!

We are set to sign a VERY good class, but how about we actually let them try on a uniform before we proclaim them as All-Americans. Jeez, some of you guys go nuts with every class.
He very well might , the coaches have brought him in with the thought of filling Flowers role from the start.

JaketheSnake

Not to mention these midterm guys her a huge jumpstart on the program and weight room. They can learn a lot of the playbook in that extra 5 months.  Still not as good as a redshirt, but better than coming in June

sgfhog

If instant impact does not necessarily mean starter, then:
Froholt
Cantrell
Weathersby (if we get him; Merrick, if we don't)
Dalton
Pettway or Hill (Reed, if he is a surprise "get")

Obviously, by naming Weathersby and Hill, I am an optimist.  Never Yield!

Ethan2010

The Dane.

[attachment deleted by admin]

bennyl08

Quote from: Lake City Hog on February 01, 2015, 12:40:16 pm
Sno, that's my point exactly. Are we really upgrading our talent? Is Merrick better than Skipper, Ragnow, Kirkland or Wallace? Hell, Is he better than Beck or Danenhauer? Some of you THINK he is, but the FACT is NO ONE knows.

What these kids turn into over the next 4 years is way, way up in the air. They could become AA's or busts. Time will tell us all.

I challenge any one of you to pick any one of the 25 that are projected to sign and tell me which current starter he will unseat. Which back-up will he unseat? And, of course, why he will do it.

Yes, we are from a physical standpoint.

Obviously nobody knows anything. For all YOU know, all 25 of these guys are starting next season. Doubtful, but for all we know, that is the case. Would you be willing to bet your life that NONE of the freshmen become starters next season (barring injury promotions, though you seem to doubt the ability of any of them to enter the two deep even).

Obviously somebody who knows and has played for multiple years at the SEC level is going to be more prepared. However, if knowledge and experience were so valuable, nobody would care about the NFL draft. I bet the Giants have a lot of receivers on their roster with more experience and knowledge than Odell Beckham Jr. That didn't stop him from being their best receiver as soon as he was healthy.  Why? Because he was physically better then the rest of them.

Now, the only place I feel pretty sure will have a true freshman starting, barring injury promotion is TE alongside Henry. You argue for Voelzke's experience and he is a strong asset to the team, but a guy who played quarterback the year before beat him out in the depth chart just over one spring/summer. These freshmen have arguably better physical traits than Mr. Derby did.

Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Twain

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 01, 2015, 08:08:37 am
There will always be freshman get playing time regardless of how much depth we have. Someone will be asked to fill in a gap in the depth chart, earn the time with the way they practice, someone ahead of the freshman doesn't work out how you projected, or gets in the dog house. That is just the way it works. We could have 5 more classes just like this one and we would still have a handful of freshman get PT.

For me the most logical spots are TE, DL, LB, and DB. Also I would say the punter but after RS Hedlund last year I have no clue.
This sounds spot on.  I think that going forward, we will see a majority of our incoming class redshirted, but there will always be a few that must see the field.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

ballhogger

Quote from: HometownHawg on February 01, 2015, 09:40:33 pm
He very well might , the coaches have brought him in with the thought of filling Flowers role from the start.
Honestly, I have always thought of Ledbetter as an interior player.  He is currently at 280 and could be slightly bigger than Philon.  I would see him, if good enough, sliding in Philon's role.

ballhogger

Quote from: IBleedRazorbackRed on January 31, 2015, 10:45:17 am
I see gragg, Cantrell, Ledbetter, froholdt, maybe derrick graham all getting significant snaps
I have noticed many say that Derrick Graham will get significant playing time.  I think that because of his story and passion to be a hog many want him to play early.  I certainly hope he is good enough to do so but I think that it will take a little while for him to develop.  After watching his highlights I see a phenomenal athlete but not an SEC linebacker ready to step in just yet.  I hope I am wrong but I don't see it yet.  I think his ceiling is out of this world though.

bennyl08

Quote from: ballhogger on February 02, 2015, 10:09:57 am
I have noticed many say that Derrick Graham will get significant playing time.  I think that because of his story and passion to be a hog many want him to play early.  I certainly hope he is good enough to do so but I think that it will take a little while for him to develop.  After watching his highlights I see a phenomenal athlete but not an SEC linebacker ready to step in just yet.  I hope I am wrong but I don't see it yet.  I think his ceiling is out of this world though.

Well, we also only have 5 linebackers ahead of him. If we want 6 players on the two deep, it'll be either Graham or Greenlaw or a walkon. Somebody we haven't seen a lot of will be in the two deep, and Graham appears to be more ready to step in and play than Greenlaw.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Hawgzinbowlz

Ledbetter and Cantrell would be the names that come to mind, with a total of 6-12 newcomers typically getting some playing time depending on our needs and the real skill level that the coach's see in the spring/fall practices.
As we develop and retain quality players this number may diminish slightly but I doubt it will decrease very significantly. There are too many smart, athletic and well coached newcomers, that play positions of need, to keep the better ones off the field.
Hungry Hogs.

" GO HOGS "

jackflash

With Ellis being the only sure starter at LB. I can see one of the in coming freshman getting playing time. Pulley with his size and speed will get a chance. Depending on where they play Dalton and with Scott if he comes could see playing time at safety.

Razorfox

Ledbetter, Blake Johnson, Froholdt, and Graham out of necessity to fill holes/lack of depth.

And I think one of the TEs as well just because one of them will  be as ready and talented as anyone already on the team, but Henry.   

Lake City Hog

Guys, I'm not hacking on this class in any way! I think we are bringing in one of the better classes that we have had in a long time.

All I'm saying is that they have some VERY good players in front of them, which is a good thing. It is a good thing for the program as well as for this group of players. Just think how much more we can possibly get out of Ledbetter if he has a year to learn our system and to practice against SEC caliber players every day.

How much better off will we be if we have 18 5th year seniors on the team 5 years from now? Think MSU this year only better. Too many people have the new toy syndrome, the new toy simply must be better than last year's model. And that ain't always true. Let's try to enjoy the older toys for a while longer.