Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Tyler Phillips - Oregon-errr ARKANSAS

Started by secfan1, January 28, 2015, 07:19:05 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

secfan1

January 28, 2015, 07:19:05 pm Last Edit: February 03, 2015, 03:59:16 pm by opineonswine
Before we get started...yes I Know the Hogs weren't planning on offering Tyler Phillips. I respect the Hog coaches on that and it's not an issue. I'm curious though after seeing he has been accepted as a preferred walk on to Oregon as to if Arkansas offered that similar possibility? Nothing I'm stewing over, just wondering. I mean if the kid is actually willing to walk on at major programs why not in state? This isn't intended to be a bash T. Phillips or smarter than everyone else thread either.

Not saying the kid would be a stud but if he is going to walk on somewhere then he is basically guaranteed to redshirt. Why not redshirt and develop a couple of years at Ark and you never know. Most likely be put on scholarship down the road if shown to be able to contribute on the field. He has the smarts to learn.

The_Boot_stops_here

Good question. Especially since Bielema is passionate about having a good walk on program. Would like to see Phillips get a shot here if he can be had w/o a schollie

redeye

It is a good question and maybe we have offered?  But, we've seen that Bielema doesn't take walk-on status lightly and it may be that he doesn't think Phillips is worthy of a walk-on offer.  Regardless, he seems like a great kid and I'm glad he received an offer from Oregon.

Choctaw Hog

Quote from: secfan1 on January 28, 2015, 07:19:05 pm
Before we get started...yes I Know the Hogs weren't planning on offering Tyler Phillips. I respect the Hog coaches on that and it's not an issue. I'm curious though after seeing he has been accepted as a preferred walk on to Oregon as to if Arkansas offered that similar possibility? Nothing I'm stewing over, just wondering. I mean if the kid is actually willing to walk on at major programs why not in state? This isn't intended to be a bash T. Phillips or smarter than everyone else thread either.

Not saying the kid would be a stud but if he is going to walk on somewhere then he is basically guaranteed to redshirt. Why not redshirt and develop a couple of years at Ark and you never know. Most likely be put on scholarship down the road if shown to be able to contribute on the field. He has the smarts to learn.

Perhaps Oregon has a major he's interested in that Arkansas doesn't. 

jjdlc

Back on topic, we've heard of what, 2 or 3 invited walk-ons so far.  We know that Bielema puts a lot of effort into the walk-on program, so I would imagine we'll be seeing several more over the next week or so.  Now, weather or not Phillips has gotten, or will get an invite, I have no idea, be a good question to ask RD.

#1 STUNNA

Maybe he just wants to walk on at oregon instead of arkansas...

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: #1 STUNNA on January 28, 2015, 08:47:37 pm

Don't go bringing common sense to the thread.  ;)
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

arktravlr

Eugene is a pretty awesome place.  Folks go places for all sorts of reasons.

intoxhog

Quote from: arktravlr on January 28, 2015, 08:53:00 pm
I can understand why the young man wanting to walk on at Oregon. This link will explain why.

http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=583149.0
Politicians and diapers should be changed frequently and all for the same reason. ~José Maria de Eça de Queiroz

arktravlr

Quote from: intoxhog on January 28, 2015, 09:01:07 pm
I can understand why the young man wanting to walk on at Oregon. This link will explain why.

Yeah, better climate than Tempe

texas tush hog

You are limited to five recruited walkons per year FWIW.

tusksincolorado

And western Oregon is one of those places!
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

Temprees

Quote from: texas tush hog on January 28, 2015, 09:08:29 pm
You are limited to five recruited walkons per year FWIW.
What makes the walk-on a recruited walk-on?

ricepig

Quote from: Temprees on January 28, 2015, 09:41:50 pm
What makes the walk-on a recruited walk-on?

He's asked to walk-on. A recruited walk-on is able to come into camp in early August, while the other's can't start practicing until school starts.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: (notOM)Rebel123 on January 28, 2015, 08:48:37 pm
Don't go bringing common sense to the thread.  ;)
Quote from: intoxhog on January 28, 2015, 09:01:07 pm

These
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.
Quote from: Boardon Hamsay on April 28, 2024, 05:45:23 pmI'm a market maker of instigation

ARtillahog

From talking to his dad, the Hogs never really pushed for anything from him.  They just never really seemed interested.  Oregon did.

secneahog

Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

Phenomenal One

Quote from: ARtillahog on January 29, 2015, 09:18:49 am
From talking to his dad, the Hogs never really pushed for anything from him.  They just never really seemed interested.  Oregon did.

I think Arkansas is making a late push for him

GrizzlyRider07

He actually just committed to Arkansas as a walk on just now lol
Dont Talk, Just Act.
Don't Say, Just Show.
Don't Promise, Just Prove!

Tim Harris

https://twitter.com/tylerp_nlr/status/562414273905717249

@TylerP_nlr: I am excited to announce that I will play football at the University of Arkansas next year! #WPS 🐗

greenie

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 02, 2015, 06:57:39 pm

That makes 2 solid safety walkons for this class (including Reid Miller)

logand02

Quote from: Tim Harris on February 02, 2015, 07:01:11 pm
https://twitter.com/tylerp_nlr/status/562414273905717249

@TylerP_nlr: I am excited to announce that I will play football at the University of Arkansas next year! #WPS 🐗

So happy about this.  I believe this young man will earn a scholarship soon. 

GEO-HOG

Good news! Excited to see this kid earn a scholarship.  He clearly has the work ethic.

ArmyOfnobunaga

Wow this is a helluva walk-on imo.

This would be a scholarship guy in years past. I think he earns a schollie soon though.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

Razorhog25

I think this is a big get for Arkansas. A year with herb. And he could be a good player.

Phenomenal One

Quote from: GrizzlyRider07 on February 02, 2015, 06:57:39 pm

I know .... I didn't want to be the one that posted it because he hadn't sent that tweet yet .... I talked to his mom right after he committed and he hadn't announced yet ....my son and his little brothers are best friends ....

Phenomenal One

He's going to school on an academic scholarship .... It is pretty much the same 'preferred walk-on' situation that Oregon offered him but I don't think he had an academic scholarship with Oregon

Scott7703

Big time player here. Huge get as a walkon.

jjdlc

This is awesome, I've been hoping he would end up here.  We are going to end up with one heck of a invited walk on class.

TrueBlue

3* Walk-on?

Times have changed.

Congrats young man!

regi

Very interesting, may mean Hogs are off of Jackson. Either way, I think he is a walk on that could pan out,

secneahog

He said Martrell Spaight success was amazing to him. He's going to work just as hard as he did. Gonna play OLB.
Remix MMA.  Alan "the talent" Belcher - Born_Imboden Arkansas- Next 185 UFC Champ!

secneahog

Quote from: regi on February 02, 2015, 07:22:29 pm
Very interesting, may mean Hogs are off of Jackson. Either way, I think he is a walk on that could pan out,

How does adding a walk on mean we're off of Kendrick?

Großer Kriegschwein

Quote from: secneahog on February 02, 2015, 07:25:13 pm

It makes sense after a long night of drinking.......heavily.
This is my non-signature signature.

MuskogeeHogFan

February 02, 2015, 07:30:56 pm #34 Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 08:18:11 pm by MuskogeeHogFan
Quote from: regi on February 02, 2015, 07:22:29 pm

Why? This is the equivalent of being in the bonus round. Good player, staying home and walking on. that could have a P-5 scholarship elsewhere? It says a lot of positive things about the program.

Edit: He was an Invited Walk On at Oregon with offers from Air Force and Campbell.

This has zero effect on anyone else that we are on for signing day.
Go Hogs Go!

regi

Quote from: secneahog on February 02, 2015, 07:25:13 pm

Just think they are worried about Kendrick getting on campus

ArmyOfnobunaga

Im not sure at this point if we are "off" anyone.
There is nothing either good or bad but thinking makes it so.     -Some guy named Will

regi

Quote from: ArmyOfnobunaga on February 02, 2015, 07:33:09 pm
Im not sure at this point if we are "off" anyone.

I disagree, BB would rather hold a ship, than over sign,(not sure I agree with this strategy)  he has made that clear, They have told a few kids, that they should go n another direction.

RussVegas Hawg

Awesome get!!

doubt him coming as a walkon has anything to do with Jackson 

WooPig90

Quote from: regi on February 02, 2015, 07:36:07 pm
I disagree, BB would rather hold a ship, than over sign,(not sure I agree with this strategy)  he has made that clear, They have told a few kids, that they should go n another direction.

You are the same moron who said BB doesnt understand how to recruit at a high level so what you say means nothing

ArmyOfnobunaga

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 02, 2015, 07:52:13 pm
You are the same moron who said BB doesnt understand how to recruit at a high level so what you say means nothing

LR Hog

RD just confirmed on Twitter that he is all Hog.
Like a boss.

regi

Quote from: WooPig90 on February 02, 2015, 07:52:13 pm

Not sure that is what I said, you idiot hack, but he should look at Knoxville, Oxford, Auburn, Tuscaloosa at the aggressive approach they take, over commit, work it out by any means. Contrary to popular belief, it does not come back to hurt these schools. I would also work on that two for one trade. Thomas (not sure what he does) and Coach Smith to USC for Tee Martin. Tee is a great guy, up and coming coach and can take 11 months off and out recruit those two combined.

regi

Quote from: LR Hog on February 02, 2015, 07:54:34 pm
RD just confirmed on Twitter that he is all Hog.

Well after the kid himself and three other sources said it....just kidding, RD is the man.

COCHISE

Congrats to Tyler.  Also, another incentive for KJ to stay home?

TXrazorback

Quote from: COCHISE on February 02, 2015, 08:02:48 pm
Congrats to Tyler.  Also, another incentive for KJ to stay home?

Not sure if that is a factor for KJ, but he definitely just retweeted Tyler's post and said congrats to his friend...I don't care what anyone else says on this board.  KJ would be a huge get for us...
Quote from: Hawg Balling on December 04, 2012, 03:59:08 pm
According to Hogville, fantasy offense and passing 80 times a game wins championships.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: regi on February 02, 2015, 07:59:03 pm
Not sure that is what I said, you idiot hack, but he should look at Knoxville, Oxford, Auburn, Tuscaloosa at the aggressive approach they take, over commit, work it out by any means. Contrary to popular belief, it does not come back to hurt these schools. I would also work on that two for one trade. Thomas (not sure what he does) and Coach Smith to USC for Tee Martin. Tee is a great guy, up and coming coach and can take 11 months off and out recruit those two combined.

I'll just say this, the more we win, the more successful that we become, the better our recruiting will be. It is a product of the other. Bielema and staff have shown that they can produce a better team from lower recruiting rankings. What we will see in the future is whether they can leverage better recruiting classes (than he ever had at Wisconsin) into bigger winners in the SEC West.

The jury is still out because it hasn't happened yet, but if what he can do with lower level recruiting classes without having all of the players he needs on campus to execute his system/philosophy is any indicator, we should be in for some really good years of Arkansas football in the future. Time will tell. I suspect that if we win 11-12 games in a season, you'll be on board.
Go Hogs Go!

redeye

Where is all this Tee Martin stuff coming from?  Has he expressed an interest in coaching at Arkansas?

I think the schools you mentioned have a different recruiting approach because they can afford it.  They only offer SEC caliber players and can fill a class that way.  In contrast, Arkansas wouldn't fill a class if we just threw out offers to every SEC caliber player, so we have to be more selective with the players we want and then show them more attention then those schools.  Regardless of all that, Bielema had more former players in the past couple of Super Bowls then the coaches of any of those schools, so it's sorta hard to argue with his technique, imo.

Really excited to see Tyler Phillips in an Arkansas uniform here.  This is great news!

ArmyOfnobunaga

I think we should put the exact quote here unless it has suddenly been deleted.

edit this was the one...

this jack Affenpinscher  has an agenda .... I guess we all do in a way

Quote from: regi on February 01, 2015, 10:28:29 pm
They don't have any and never will, because they don't put top classes back, to back, to back. A&M will get one, before we do, because we do not seem to get the importance of talent. If we did, we would hire a HC, who understands, recruit at a High Level, or you have no chance in the SEC.

PEtrader

Oddball on NWA: "I'm drinking wine and eating cheese, and catching some rays, you know. "