Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

2010 NFL Draft : Ryan Mallet to be drafted by Buffalo Bills

Started by Lil Wayne, December 27, 2009, 11:28:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Holy City Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2010, 01:14:33 pm
Scouts and Analysts have consistently said he should probably come back for another year at Arkansas to develop and grow for another year. Why anyone would wish otherwise is beyond me. Best for him, best for Arkansas.

No one, & I mean NO ONE on this thread or this site (save for the Rebel trolls) wishes RM to leave.  Obviously his return is good for Ark. But anyone who thinks this is an open & shut case is fooling themselves.

The fact is there is no consenus on RM's draft status. This uncertainty is what's driving the discussion.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rookie on January 01, 2010, 01:32:23 pm
No one, & I mean NO ONE on this thread or this site (save for the Rebel trolls) wishes RM to leave.  Obviously his return is good for Ark. But anyone who thinks this is an open & shut case is fooling themselves.

The fact is there is no consenus on RM's draft status. This uncertainty is what's driving the discussion.

Which is irrellevant until he hears back from the NFL after the Liberty Bowl.
Go Hogs Go!

Holy City Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2010, 01:59:09 pm
Which is irrellevant until he hears back from the NFL after the Liberty Bowl.

Come on man, the evaluation of currrent draft eligible QB's is VERY relevant to RM's draft status. That's what this discussion is about.

No reason to try & kill a civil debate just b/c you think it's foolish for RM to consider this opportunity.  If this discussion is so irrelevant then don't waste your time with a response . . .

Holy City Hog

Here's an interesting take on the NFL Advisory Board's evaluation of underclassmen . . .

By Tim Tucker of AJC
Remember back in December (2008) when Asher Allen and several other UGA underclassmen petitioned the NFL's advisory board for a projection of their draft status?

When Allen surprisingly announced he would enter the draft, he said he hoped to be a 2nd-round pick but declined to say what round the advisory board had forecast for him.  "I don't want to get into that," the Bulldogs' junior DB said at the time.

Here's why:  Allen told me Monday that the league's advisory board actually projected that he would be a 5th to 7th round pick.

"At first, I was, like, 'What are you looking at?'" he said. "I didn't know if they had the right paper."  But as he asked questions he realized, he said, that the advisory board tends to give underclassmen a conservative, "worst-case-scenario" projection so as not to overly encourage them to leave school.

"Knowing what all was inside that [projection] made it a lot easier to grasp," Allen said. "I understood where they were coming from, so I read it a little bit different."

And he never believed he'd be a 5th to 7th round pick.  "I just didn't think I'd go that low," he said.  Allen was selected by Minnesota in the 3rd round — a lot closer to his hope (2nd round) than to the advisory board's projection.

Looking back on his controversial and somewhat criticized decision to enter the draft a year early, Allen feels he made the right call. Playing with a broken hand in last year's final five regular-season games reminded him that anything could happen injury-wise if he stayed another year. But the main factor, the Tucker High graduate said, was simply that he felt it was his time.

"My decision to leave was pretty much just feeling I'm ready," he said. "My dream is to play in the NFL, and the opportunity was right in front of me."

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2009/04/28/asher-allen-ignored-nfl-projection/

huthut

Quote from: hogdiggity on December 28, 2009, 07:15:02 am
Tebow will end up at Buffalo I believe.  Mock drafts are crap, anyone can just put names with teams and call them mock drafts

The Bills have the 8th pick in the 5th round?

longtimeHogfan

I don't like to plan my day because then the word premeditated comes into the conversation.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rookie on January 01, 2010, 02:09:23 pm
Come on man, the evaluation of currrent draft eligible QB's is VERY relevant to RM's draft status. That's what this discussion is about.

No reason to try & kill a civil debate just b/c you think it's foolish for RM to consider this opportunity.  If this discussion is so irrelevant then don't waste your time with a response . . .

Thanks for your guidance, I'll decide what I respiond to...ok, pumpkin?
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rookie on January 01, 2010, 02:34:35 pm
Here's an interesting take on the NFL Advisory Board's evaluation of underclassmen . . .

By Tim Tucker of AJC
Remember back in December (2008) when Asher Allen and several other UGA underclassmen petitioned the NFL’s advisory board for a projection of their draft status?

When Allen surprisingly announced he would enter the draft, he said he hoped to be a 2nd-round pick but declined to say what round the advisory board had forecast for him.  “I don’t want to get into that,” the Bulldogs’ junior DB said at the time.

Here’s why:  Allen told me Monday that the league’s advisory board actually projected that he would be a 5th to 7th round pick.

“At first, I was, like, ‘What are you looking at?’” he said. “I didn’t know if they had the right paper.”  But as he asked questions he realized, he said, that the advisory board tends to give underclassmen a conservative, “worst-case-scenario” projection so as not to overly encourage them to leave school.

“Knowing what all was inside that [projection] made it a lot easier to grasp,” Allen said. “I understood where they were coming from, so I read it a little bit different.”

And he never believed he’d be a 5th to 7th round pick.  “I just didn’t think I’d go that low,” he said.  Allen was selected by Minnesota in the 3rd round — a lot closer to his hope (2nd round) than to the advisory board’s projection.

Looking back on his controversial and somewhat criticized decision to enter the draft a year early, Allen feels he made the right call. Playing with a broken hand in last year’s final five regular-season games reminded him that anything could happen injury-wise if he stayed another year. But the main factor, the Tucker High graduate said, was simply that he felt it was his time.

“My decision to leave was pretty much just feeling I’m ready,” he said. “My dream is to play in the NFL, and the opportunity was right in front of me."

http://blogs.ajc.com/uga-sports-blog/2009/04/28/asher-allen-ignored-nfl-projection/

That's nice, and it might have made perfect sense for him. But a key position like QB where you better have your stuff together before you go...well, just my opinion but I don't think Mallett is ready from either the standpoint of developed skills or emotional maturity. The NFL may disagree but all they care about is what they hope a kid will do for them today...with little regard for his long term future...can he sell tickets today and move his team towards a playoff? The heck with what is best for him long term and career wise.

I hope Mallett makes an educated and very mature decision not just looking at his short term financial renumeration, but what he stands to accomplish and make over the long haul.

All that being said, best of luck to RM whatever he may decide.
Go Hogs Go!

JONAS

I would definitely come back if I was projected to go to Buffalo.

HogSophist

Quote from: nutted on December 28, 2009, 11:21:18 am
well according to the hair doo.....mel kiper....RM isn't even one of the top 5 JR's that might leave for the draft.

Add the top 5 SR's and he doesn't even see RM going as one of the top 10 QBs much less a top 10 pick.

odd he has mallett as the 5th qb, prior to locker declaring he was coming back.

http://nwahomepage.com/content/fulltextfox_sports?cid=138552

Care to link up your info, or was it merely out of your 6?
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

HogSophist

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2010, 01:14:33 pm
Scouts and Analysts have consistently said he should probably come back for another year at Arkansas to develop and grow for another year. Why anyone would wish otherwise is beyond me. Best for him, best for Arkansas.

best for him and best for arkansas may be two different things.
signature removed by Hogville staff. (but Erie's quote revived because I missed it)

In an era where there are over $70 trillion in future obligations, beyond the debt,   taking up practices in budgeting that are tantamount to saying 'And then in 2040, a magic dragon will sh*tpoopy $100 trillion and fix our problems'  simply isn't wise. --ErieHog

Speedracer

Mock drafts can't predict trades and there are some teams I'm sure that would love to go after Mallet if he falls down to picks 10+.  That would only cost you a first and later round pick.
Like smites bother me.

Holy City Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on January 01, 2010, 04:42:29 pm
Thanks for your guidance, I'll decide what I respiond to...ok, pumpkin?

Name calling?  That's how you respond to a factual comment trying to stay on topic?   Seriously I would expect a more mature response from someone who considers themselves to be a legit contibutor. Thought you were better than that.

Unless Locker changes his mind, which could happen, there aren't any Jr QB's who would impact this QB class more than RM by declaring early.  Snead could announce, maybe Keenum at Houston if the HC leaves, but those guys should fall behind RM. One QB name that hasn't been mentioned much is Tim Hiller of Western Michigan, 6-5, 235lb Sr with good arm & lots of snaps under his belt, threw for 3,200 yds & 60% comps.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Rookie on January 02, 2010, 12:09:06 pm
Name calling?  That's how you respond to a factual comment trying to stay on topic?   Seriously I would expect a more mature response from someone who considers themselves to be a legit contibutor. Thought you were better than that.

Unless Locker changes his mind, which could happen, there aren't any Jr QB's who would impact this QB class more than RM by declaring early.  Snead could announce, maybe Keenum at Houston if the HC leaves, but those guys should fall behind RM. One QB name that hasn't been mentioned much is Tim Hiller of Western Michigan, 6-5, 235lb Sr with good arm & lots of snaps under his belt, threw for 3,200 yds & 60% comps.

Lighten up, I answered your post, read below the post you cited. And if you call "pumpkin" name calling, you are incredibly thin skinned for someone who is telling someone else not to post.
Go Hogs Go!