Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Great Article on Hogs 2015 Offense

Started by bphi11ips, June 09, 2015, 01:08:03 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bphi11ips

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Mike_e

This is setting up to be a really nice year.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

younghog

---
Enos will swing the pendulum ever so slightly in that direction, which could make all the difference in the world.
--

Nice Read..

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2490716-why-arkansas-offense-could-be-the-secs-surprise-of-2015

I LOVE IT

GO HOGS
GO HOGS

HeismanHawg

I think Enos will keep us on the field longer with sustained drives and I think we'll be able to go downfield when we need to.

gmarv

thanks for the link.if ba continues to improve year over year like he has so far his passing completions percentage will be in the low 60s.which I think most of us will be happy with.

bigbadhog

I continue to doubt we ever see a 3000 yard passer with BB as head hog.  Also continue to hope I am wrong...
Thanks for the WINS Coach Petrino!

younghog

I think ENOS will change the WAY we look at the Arkansas Offense..

Its clear he is effective at having an efficient offense.. Not putting him up there with BP but easily the guy knows how to move the ball.

WE WILL SEE.

go HOGS
GO HOGS

HungryHog

I have got to stop reading things like this.  I have had so much kool-aid over the past few months, it can't be healthy. 

I talk to my friends and family like we are going to win it all this year.  I need help.

The schedule is tough.  The SEC press still puts us lower in the west... surely they know what they are talking about...?  (Just trying to talk myself back to reality.)

These types of articles make me get my hopes WAY too high.  It sure is fun though!

PorkSoda

Quote from: bigbadhog on June 10, 2015, 02:03:25 pm
I continue to doubt we ever see a 3000 yard passer with BB as head hog.  Also continue to hope I am wrong...
as long as we still have 2 1000 yard rushers, I'd be good with 3000 passing in addition. 
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

wildhogman

Now that he has our defense clicking again. I don't think we will see a season where we need 3000 yards passing. So long as we continue to pound teams on both sides of the ball.

HillBillyHogfan

#1 I think Enos will look better on game day seeing how he doesn't have butt-cheeks on both the front and back when wearing his khakis.

#2  Enos will run the damn ball against aTm in the forth quarter with a 2 TD lead and put the game out of reach
Observations from the holler... Maker of Newton County's best corn-squeezins'  @HillbillyHogfan

MuskogeeHogFan

You could be right. He had one 3,000 yard passing team in his time at Wisconsin, but he did have a few years of 2,700-2,800. I don't think that it is out of realm of possibility for BA to emerge as one of these guys in the 2,700-2,800 range given that we threw for 2,444 last season with a different and perhaps less effective OC in terms of play calling.

Will BA break 3,000 yards? Don't know, but in 2011 with Russell Wilson, Wisconsin needed 515 yards passing combined in their last two games (14 that season) to exceed the 3,000 yard mark. In 12 games that season he averaged 230.4 passing. I could see it being possible that BA produces at that pace through the first 12 games under Enos but then again, this is the SEC which is known for great defense, not the Big Ten.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

"Enos will swing the pendulum ever so slightly in that direction, which could make all the difference in the world."

I disagree with the "ever so slightly", and leave it at, "Enos will swing the pendulum in that direction" and the below is accurate...
"That's enormous for Allen, who's set up for a phenomenal senior season."

...And, combined with our running game, 2500-2800 Passing Yards for the regular season is enough for an 8-9+ win season, with efficient passing play and numbers.

I think it's going to be a 'Robb Smith in '14' season for CDE and The Hogs, on offense, in '15.

Good read, from someone who is paying attention.

" WOO PIG "

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on June 10, 2015, 07:25:26 pm
"Enos will swing the pendulum ever so slightly in that direction, which could make all the difference in the world."

I disagree with the "ever so slightly", and leave it at, "Enos will swing the pendulum in that direction" and the below is accurate...
"That's enormous for Allen, who's set up for a phenomenal senior season."

...And, combined with our running game, 2500-2800 Passing Yards for the regular season is enough for an 8-9+ win season, with efficient passing play and numbers.

I think it's going to be a 'Robb Smith in '14' season for CDE and The Hogs, on offense, in '15.

Good read, from someone who is paying attention.

" WOO PIG "

I don't know that I want to place such lofty expectations on Enos for this year. Robb Smith came in and reduced the yardage we gave up by an average of about 90 yards per game which is a pretty huge turnaround, especially in one season.

Do I think that our offense will improve by gaining on average, 90 more yards per game, from 406 to 496? I guess it could happen, especially with an improved passing game that should help take some focus off of the defense of our running game. If that happens it could be good enough to produce a top 20 offense. But I will be happy if we just improve to an average of 450-460 yards per game. That alone would make a huge difference and had we produced that last year, I suspect that we might have won at least 3 more games in the regular season than we did.
Go Hogs Go!

Chief Mac

as long as we have a defense like last year, 2500 passing/rushing will be sufficient

"We spend two hundred and fifty billion dollars a year on defense and here we are....the fate of the planet in the hands of a bunch of retards I wouldn't trust with a potato gun!

Hog N Bama

It's going to be interesting to see what the press has to say once the season gets underway. Excited to see Enos commanding the offense!! :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

bphi11ips

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 11, 2015, 06:13:01 am
I don't know that I want to place such lofty expectations on Enos for this year.

Lofty expectations or not, here's some research I posted a few weeks back where the question was QB improvement when Enos takes over.  It ties in well with this topic:

Dan Enos was a grad assistant at Michigan State from 1991-1993, where he was the starting QB his last two years, having led the Spartans to a Big 10 co-championship his senior year.  Here's a link to his Wiki bio:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Enos

Enos took over as OC three times between 1994 and 2003, but none of the schools where he took over were D1 schools with easily available year-to-year stats, at least not that I can find.  This is the first time Enos has taken over as OC at a D1 (now known as FBS) school. However, in 2004, Enos took over as QB coach at Cincinnati.  Since he is also the QB coach at Arkansas, his track record there is applicable for purposes of this subject.  The results at Cincinnati were impressive.  Gino Giudugli's QB rating jumped 33.5 points in one year.  You can compare Giudugli's 2003 and 2004 numbers at these two links:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/cincinnati/2003.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/cincinnati/2004.html

Perhaps based on Giudugli's strong progress, Michigan State hired Enos to coach QBs in 2005.  Drew Stanton's rating jumped 21.6 points over the previous year:

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/2004.html

http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/schools/michigan-state/2005.html

There are no other numbers showing a QB's progress when Enos took over purely as a QB coach or OC, but the average increase posted by Giudugli and Stanton was 27.55.

Brandon Allen finished last season with a rating of 129.2.  A 27.55 increase would have landed him at 156.75.  Based on 2014 NCAA QB rankings, Allen would have replaced Hutson Mason at number 10.  Allen's actual finish was 68, so that would have been a rise of 58 spots.

At both Cincinnati and Michigan State, Enos took over a QB who had started the previous year.  Same at Arkansas.  If history repeats itself where QB improvement is concerned the year Enos arrives on the scene, the Hogs could be looking at no worse than 10-2, and Brandon Allen could wind up as SEC POY.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 11, 2015, 09:59:42 am
Lofty expectations or not, here's some research I posted a few weeks back where the question was QB improvement when Enos takes over.  It ties in well with this topic:

Dan Enos was a grad assistant at Michigan State from 1991-1993, where he was the starting QB his last two years, having led the Spartans to a Big 10 co-championship his senior year.  Here's a link to his Wiki bio:

Brandon Allen finished last season with a rating of 129.2.  A 27.55 increase would have landed him at 156.75.  Based on 2014 NCAA QB rankings, Allen would have replaced Hutson Mason at number 10.  Allen's actual finish was 68, so that would have been a rise of 58 spots.

At both Cincinnati and Michigan State, Enos took over a QB who had started the previous year.  Same at Arkansas.  If history repeats itself where QB improvement is concerned the year Enos arrives on the scene, the Hogs could be looking at no worse than 10-2, and Brandon Allen could wind up as SEC POY.

This is great information, and if the anecdotal evidence it provides carries forward for the Hogs it will be great! I am starting to get excited like before 2011's season.

Wooo Pig!
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 11, 2015, 06:13:01 am
I don't know that I want to place such lofty expectations on Enos for this year. Robb Smith came in and reduced the yardage we gave up by an average of about 90 yards per game which is a pretty huge turnaround, especially in one season.

Do I think that our offense will improve by gaining on average, 90 more yards per game, from 406 to 496? I guess it could happen, especially with an improved passing game that should help take some focus off of the defense of our running game. If that happens it could be good enough to produce a top 20 offense. But I will be happy if we just improve to an average of 450-460 yards per game. That alone would make a huge difference and had we produced that last year, I suspect that we might have won at least 3 more games in the regular season than we did.

I'm not necessarily referring to a 90 yard per game swing for CDE to offensively match, in 2015, the results we saw from CRS on defense in '14.
Efficient play calling, understanding how to call a power game from the inside out and not in a manner that is like trying to fit a square peg in a round hole (particularly in the second half and more particularly in the fourth quarter), understanding the quarterback position (from first hand experience) and thus maximizing BAs ability and generally being on the same page with CBB should yield offensive results in '15 that will make us much more efficient.
This is being said with not one offensive play having been run by CDE as our OC.
Coach Enos history with QBs, in his first year as their coach, is impressive (Drew Stanton, Gino Guidugli).
An efficient OC would likely have been the difference in 1-3 of our games in '14.
We shall see, and I wouldn't be surprised at all if CDE helps us be very successful this coming season. We have a lot of weapons at our disposal and I believe Coach Enos will use them in a manner that yields better results than in the past...with more wins.
Coach Smith's defense looked like an SEC defense last year and I expect our offense to look like an SEC offense, for each entire game, this coming season.

" GO HOGS "