Started by Lanny, June 06, 2015, 09:21:36 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Lanny

37 years is a long time.

Congrats to the Arkansas Derby winner
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

SultanofSwine

Dominant performance for sure. Went back and watched secretariats Belmont run and compared times. Crazy what secretariat did. Awesome showing thought by AP and great for oaklawn.

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

SultanofSwine

2nd fastest Belmont by triple crown winner and 6th fastest at 1.5 miles.

lefty08

Quote from: SultanofSwine on June 06, 2015, 09:54:05 pm
2nd fastest Belmont by triple crown winner and 6th fastest at 1.5 miles.

I believe it was the largest margin of victory for a crown winner in the Belmont as well
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Hogfaniam

Quote from: lefty08 on June 06, 2015, 09:57:30 pm
I believe it was the largest margin of victory for a crown winner in the Belmont as well

Uh...
"My dog Sam eats purple flowers"

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

lefty08

Torqued pork

Congrats to American Pharaoh. He became horse racing royalty and earned himself a sweet retirement.

Steef

jbcarol

ELMONT, N.Y. — The roar from the crowd came not so much as it was happening but after it was over.

QuoteDown on the track, as American Pharoah hit the finish line, the sound from the Belmont Park grandstand just washed over you, like 37 years of disappointment and frustration and emptiness were all cleansed in one memorable moment.

In fact, the roar sounded not so much like cheering as rejoicing, the sound of an entire sport rejoicing...

The winner's share of the Belmont Stakes purse was $800,000.

Julio Cortez/AP
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jgphillips3

It was a great race.  Blazing fast time.  6th fastest in history and second only to secretariat for times by a triple crown winner with a beautiful pull away at the end.  Fun stuff.

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

lol not quite. :)
Let's make some waves.

cypert2

Obviously never heard of Secretariat.
Swinging on the two and the four.

lefty08

Quote from: cypert2 on June 07, 2015, 08:59:45 am
Obviously never heard of Secretariat.

Nah just misheard the tv while remodeling my bathroom. I actually had never seen his Belmont race until it was posted here though

tusksincolorado

I was 14 years old when the streak of 3 Triple Crown winners began in the 70's. At that time I didn't think it was such a huge deal. It seemed like every other year there was a new Triple Crown winner. Realized yesterday while I was watching the Belmont with my wife that it had been 37 years since the last Triple Crown winner....WOW, how time has flown by....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

bphi11ips

Quote from: steefhog on June 07, 2015, 04:31:50 am
Greatness.

I still get chills.

Congrats to AP.

One of the greatest moments in American sports during the 20th Century.  I watched it on the same television at my grandparents house where my family watched Razorbacks football games.  The only thing that came close to the Hogs for them was Oaklawn, where my grandmother had been placing daily double bets since the early 20's.   I had my first corned beef sandwich there with her.  She bet my birthday on the double.  Lost.

The '73 Belmont was highly aniticipated.  In the days of 3 networks available free to anyone within range of a broadcast signal, it was the talk of the country leading up to the race.  The excitement built all day Saturday as we waited to see if Secretariat could become the first horse in 25 years to win the Triple Crown.  My grandfather and two of his best friends sipped High Balls while my grandmother and the best friends' wives chatted on the patio in their sundresses.  The men wore ties.  I ate half a can of Charles Chips.  Everyone crowded around the television as the horses made their way around the track.  As Secretariat thundered down the stretch all alone the entire room was filled with old people dressed as if it were Sunday morning rather than Saturday afternoon jumping up and down like the Hogs had just beaten Texas.  That vision flooded back when I clicked the link.  Thanks for posting. 

Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Steef

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 07, 2015, 11:28:57 am
One of the greatest moments in American sports during the 20th Century.  I watched it on the same television at my grandparents house where my family watched Razorbacks football games.  The only thing that came close to the Hogs for them was Oaklawn, where my grandmother had been placing daily double bets since the early 20's.   I had my first corned beef sandwich there with her.  She bet my birthday on the double.  Lost.

The '73 Belmont was highly aniticipated.  In the days of 3 networks available free to anyone within range of a broadcast signal, it was the talk of the country leading up to the race.  The excitement built all day Saturday as we waited to see if Secretariat could become the first horse in 25 years to win the Triple Crown.  My grandfather and two of his best friends sipped High Balls while my grandmother and the best friends' wives chatted on the patio in their sundresses.  The men wore ties.  I ate half a can of Charles Chips.  Everyone crowded around the television as the horses made their way around the track.  As Secretariat thundered down the stretch all alone the entire room was filled with old people dressed as if it were Sunday morning rather than Saturday afternoon jumping up and down like the Hogs had just beaten Texas.  That vision flooded back when I clicked the link.  Thanks for posting.

Great story. Good post.

I agree it was one of the biggest sporting moments of the 20th century.

Truth in advertising... jbcarol posted the video. I just 'quoted' it.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 07, 2015, 11:28:57 am

The greatest race horse ever.

P.S. Wow I had forgotten about Charles Chips. We used to get them in the metal cans when I was a young kid! I loved them. I haven't seen them in years so I googled it. Low and behold they still make them!
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

bphi11ips

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 07, 2015, 12:39:22 pm
The greatest race horse ever.

P.S. Wow I had forgotten about Charles Chips. We used to get them in the metal cans when I was a young kid! I loved them. I haven't seen them in years so I googled it. Low and behold they still make them!

I'd forgotten about Charles Chips, too.  Then I watched "The Help".  That film was a time machine without the Charles Chips can on the kitchen counter,  but that set the mood for me. 

The other thing I remember about Charles Chips is they were delivered.  Like milk and laundry.  The Charles Chips step van looked just like the can.  Powerful branding.

Different times the 60's.  Not all good, but definitely different.   
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

Hogsolo

tusksincolorado

Quote from: bphi11ips on June 07, 2015, 01:01:13 pm
I'd forgotten about Charles Chips, too.  Then I watched "The Help".  That film was a time machine without the Charles Chips can on the kitchen counter,  but that set the mood for me. 

The other thing I remember about Charles Chips is they were delivered.  Like milk and laundry.  The Charles Chips step van looked just like the can.  Powerful branding.

Different times the 60's.  Not all good, but definitely different.   

Their BBQ Chips were the BEST....in that big tan and brown tin! Reminds me of the popcorn tins at Christmas.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!