Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

RIP Wayne Harris ( Thumper)

Started by ImHogginIt, June 04, 2015, 07:58:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorBiker

I grew up in El Dorado and saw him play as a kid. Sorry to hear about his death. A great linebacker at 155 lbs.!

goodguytex

He always gave it his all on that football field. He was one of the great ones in Razorback football history. God be with and comfort his family.

smb

Sorry to hear the news. May God bless.
GeorgiaHOG

MuskogeeHogFan

Great article on ESPN about Harris. RIP "Thumper".

As a senior in 1960 at Arkansas, Harris was selected the outstanding player in the Southwest Conference and played in the Cotton Bowl Classic and the All-American Bowl.

He was inducted into the College Football Hall of Fame in 2004, also is in the Arkansas Sports Hall of Fame and was named to Arkansas' all-century team.

Harris was drafted by the Boston Patriots of the American Football League, but opted to play for Calgary because Alberta better suited his lifestyle.

"Basically the decision was made because I didn't want to go East, there are too many people down there," Harris he said. "I wanted to stay in the West and I talked to a couple of guys at college who were playing up here and they really loved the CFL and told me it was really a first-class league. I'm sort of a loner and don't like a lot of people being around."

Harris said the ability to hold down a job outside of football in Canada also was a factor.

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/13014834/wayne-harris-former-arkansas-razorbacks-cfl-linebacker-dies-77
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Sir Oinksalot

Wayne Harris is probably my favorite Razorback player even though I never saw him play.  We lived in ElDorado back in those days and
my dad was good friends with Coach Gregery and he never missed a game......the stories alone endeared Harris to me and as a small lad
he was a hero to us kids.  I remember my dad telling the story like yesterday about how Coach Gregery swore to my dad the doctor
told him, he broke two needles on Harris trying to give him a shot in his arm....and how  dirty team once tried to hurt Harris and it infuriated him.
They carted three players off the field on stretchers in the second half, and about how when he was a Razorback playing SMU, Don Meridith
went back to pass and not seeing anyone open took off up the middle to what looked like a wide open field.  He asked later what had
happened.  What happened is Harris met him in the hole and knocked him colder than a wedge. 

A true legend, Wayne Harris will be greatly missed even though he lived in Canada after college.  His brother told me they loved him in Canada.

Be ye therefore like the grasses and yield
to the inevitable forces of Nature,
and in so yielding survive...

1hogfan

Rest in Paradise Wayne. Prayers for his family and friends.

staffhog

S.O., the Dandy Don story is one of my all-time favorites Razorback memories.  It is true, I didn't see the game but read about it.

Thumper was one of the great Hogs of all time.  Hate to hear he's gone.

TOM "tbw1"

Quote from: Sir Oinksalot on June 05, 2015, 08:36:03 am

Wayne Harris is probably my favorite Razorback player even though I never saw him play.  We lived in ElDorado back in those days and
my dad was good friends with Coach Gregery and he never missed a game......the stories alone endeared Harris to me and as a small lad
he was a hero to us kids.  I remember my dad telling the story like yesterday about how Coach Gregery swore to my dad the doctor
told him, he broke two needles on Harris trying to give him a shot in his arm....and how  dirty team once tried to hurt Harris and it infuriated him.
They carted three players off the field on stretchers in the second half, and about how when he was a Razorback playing SMU, Don Meridith
went back to pass and not seeing anyone open took off up the middle to what looked like a wide open field.  He asked later what had
happened.  What happened is Harris met him in the hole and knocked him colder than a wedge. 

A true legend, Wayne Harris will be greatly missed even though he lived in Canada after college.  His brother told me they loved him in Canada.

Harris' most famous tackle happened his junior season in 1959, when he knocked out SMU quarterback Don Meredith. The Mustangs were in the Spread offense and Meredith faked outside and ran up the middle, where Harris was waiting.

"They hit like this, both going full speed," Broyles said years later, clenching his fists and knocking them together.

Wilson Matthews, who at that time coached Arkansas' linebackers, said of Meredith's condition: "It is hard to see your receivers when your eyeballs are in the back of your head."
Well see, there's your problem. What you should be thinking is, what would Harry Rex do?

Westcoasthog

I just saw the news about  Wayne Harris' death.  Wayne was a great football player at Arkansas, and for the Calgary Stampeders.  My prayers and
sympathy are with his family.