Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

UAB brings back Football 2016.

Started by DeltaBoy, June 02, 2015, 11:12:13 am

Previous topic - Next topic

DeltaBoy

http://espn.go.com/college-football/story/_/id/12991674/uab-blazers-football-return

Strange change of events after the egg heads got exposed for lying about the state of affairs in the Athletic dept.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Inhogswetrust

i'm not so sure it wasn't just mishandled publicly by their admins. Perhaps they could have given some sort of warning that the financing of those programs needed to,be increased privately or at some point in the near future it would be shut down and then work diligently to help raise those funds................ The fact remains MOST schools athletics operate with an deficit and must find funds somewhere to cover those losses or they should get out of big time athletics.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Svrdhd

I was in Birmingham on business yesterday as this was coming out, the gossip around the water cooler was surprisingly not FIFA but UAB.
  Coach Bill Clark was a very hot high school coach in Alabama and in his first year as a college head coach took Jacksonville State to the playoffs. Then in his next year got UAB bowl eligible after a prolonged dry spell. Then the UAB football program was killed by the UA BOT, with many laying the blame on Paul 'Bear' Bryant Jr..
  Story goes that Bill Clark went to plead UAB's case directly to Saban. Saban really didn't have a dog in the fight but Clark knew he could make things happen. Reportedly Saban called Paul Bryant Jr. while Clark was present. PBJ denies this call happened, or so it is claimed.
  Several players have since transferred to other programs, but something made Clark hang in there, even though he certainly had opportunities come his way over the last few months. He was clear he wants to stay in the B-ham area.
  No idea if there is any validity to any of this, this is just what some business owners in Birmingham are talking about.

I'll burn that bridge when I come to it.

yraciv

June 03, 2015, 10:47:29 pm #3 Last Edit: June 04, 2015, 01:06:42 pm by yraciv
I highly doubt Saban gives 2 shits about UAB football, and I think Colin Cowherd nailed it.  http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12996471

But best of luck to Bill Clark, who seems like a passionate guy. Yeah maybe the admin dropped the ball, and at least they corrected it.  But UAB is going to likely be a cellar dweller there for years to come, and no one will continue to go to their games.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: yraciv on June 03, 2015, 10:47:29 pm
I highly doubt Saban gives 2 shits about UAB football, and I think Colin Cowherd nailed it.  http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=12996471

But best of luck to Bill Clark, who seems like a passionate guy. Yeah maybe the admin dropped the ball, and at least they corrected it.  But UAB is going to likely be a cellar dweller there for years to come, and no one will continue to go to there games.

I think CC only cares about CC...............................He does touch on the fact that few people actually "cared" about UAB football. However it is a feel good story that sometimes the media does publicize (but not nearly often enough) and that isn't a bad thing.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

DeltaBoy

I love College Football so much that I glad UAB is BACK!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Doug

Quote from: yracivBut UAB is going to likely be a cellar dweller there for years to come, and no one will continue to go to there games.
No one will continue to go to THEIR games? You're kidding, right?

They had the 3rd highest C-USA per game average last year... and this whole fiasco has brought a LOT of attention back to the school. So much so that they could very will finally have enough committed money to build an on-campus stadium that they will not have to use Legion Field much longer.

Please, get your facts straight before trying to come off as informed about a situation that you're not up to date on. :)

I've been following this fiasco since it started... been a fan of the Blazers for a while. Been one of the biggest advocates behind restoration of CFB, Bowling and Rifle.

The blame for this lies squarely at the University of Alabama System Board of Trustees (Paul Bryant, Jr. in particular) and Ray Watts.
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

jackflash

If I was a high school football player being recruited by several schools. I think UAB would be at the bottom of my list Bring back the program doesn't mean they would kept it.

Doug

They're going to keep it. They have no choice now. :)
--Doug
Full time Web Developer, Sports junkie and Sports Personality

@BearlyDoug  |  @GridironHistory  |  @Hogville
TheFan.net | BearlyDoug.com | My plugins on WordPress.org | GridironHistory.com

(If you have a tech question, please post in the Help forum, instead of private messaging or emailing me (unless I request it). Thanks!)

DeltaBoy

I wish them all the best and shame on Bears son UAB in no way hurting BAMA!

phadedhawg

Great news!  It was hard to watch all them young men getting their hearts broken when they cancelled the program. 

Glad the fans are getting their team back too.