Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Film Breakdown of Future Opponents Offenses: Auburn

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 02, 2015, 06:15:34 am

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

Good article that breaks down what we may see from Auburn this year.

"In fact, this team — despite Malzahn's philosophical approach being widely covered — may take some getting used to as it could easily be transformed from the most dominant rushing attack to one centered predominantly around the pass.

That, in itself, would make Auburn the most difficult team to game plan for as we know it will always be able to execute in the run game."

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/auburn-football/film-study-auburns-malzahn-brewing-something-special-offense/
Go Hogs Go!

chitwnhog

I told someone the other day that Auburn is gonna look more like Springdale with Mustain and Tulsa when Malzahn was OC.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: DawgTownHog on June 02, 2015, 07:29:58 am
I told someone the other day that Auburn is gonna look more like Springdale with Mustain and Tulsa when Malzahn was OC.

Like you I expect to see Gus shift his focus back to the shorter passing game, occasionally stretching the field with deeper patterns and then relying on a sound run game. Offensively I think they will be a challenge. The big question mark that wasn't covered in this is whether Muschamp will be able to have as much of an immediate effect on their defense as Robb Smith had on ours?
Go Hogs Go!

DeltaBoy

Which Springdale team? the one that got punked by Central High or the next year when the Bulldogs rolled the state.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

chitwnhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 02, 2015, 07:42:12 am
Like you I expect to see Gus shift his focus back to the shorter passing game, occasionally stretching the field with deeper patterns and then relying on a sound run game. Offensively I think they will be a challenge. The big question mark that wasn't covered in this is whether Muschamp will be able to have as much of an immediate effect on their defense as Robb Smith had on ours?

That really is the big question...

chitwnhog

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 02, 2015, 08:53:35 am
Which Springdale team? the one that got punked by Central High or the next year when the Bulldogs rolled the state.

I'm talking about Auburn throwing much like those teams and them looking less like they have the last few years. That Central team was a beast...sadly it was probably the last great team they will ever have.

JansterZ71

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 02, 2015, 07:42:12 am

I think it will be more like 60% passing 40% running.  More passing than in the past 2-3 years due to QB utility but with Auburn's offensive line and the two 5* ponies in the backfield I doubt they stay away from the ground.  But like you said,  it's really all about whether or not Muschamp can get that D working. 
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

Wildhog

AU's going to be very good this year.  Just an absurd amount of talent on that team.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

JoeyCapital

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2015, 04:01:09 pm
AU's going to be very good this year.  Just an absurd amount of talent on that team.
I like our chances

to have less players arrested than them.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: JansterZ71 on June 02, 2015, 03:59:59 pm
I think it will be more like 60% passing 40% running.  More passing than in the past 2-3 years due to QB utility but with Auburn's offensive line and the two 5* ponies in the backfield I doubt they stay away from the ground.  But like you said,  it's really all about whether or not Muschamp can get that D working. 

Rush attempts to passing attempts for them last year were 65% to 35% so that is pretty much a radical shift in focus from one year to the next.
Go Hogs Go!

BPsTheMan

Auburn lost four out of their last five last year.

They're "brewing something special"?

Wasn't Nick Marshall "special"?

JansterZ71

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on June 02, 2015, 07:53:17 pm
Auburn lost four out of their last five last year.

They're "brewing something special"?

Wasn't Nick Marshall "special"?

Yes but wouldn't you agree their offense wasn't the problem?
I believe that this is a practical world and that I can count only on what I earn. Therefore, I believe in work, hard work.
I believe in education, which gives me the knowledge to work wisely and trains my mind and my hands to work skillfully. I believe in honesty and truthfulness, without which I cannot win the respect and confidence of my fellow men. I believe in a sound mind, in a sound body and a spirit that is not afraid, and in clean sports that develop these qualities. I believe in obedience to law because it protects the rights of all. I believe in the human touch, which cultivates sympathy with my fellow men and mutual helpfulness and brings happiness for all. I believe in my Country, because it is a land of freedom and because it is my own home, and that I can best serve that country by "doing justly, loving mercy, and walking humbly with my God."

JansterZ71

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 02, 2015, 07:33:28 pm
Rush attempts to passing attempts for them last year were 65% to 35% so that is pretty much a radical shift in focus from one year to the next.
I agree, that is radical.

BPsTheMan

ballz2thewall

how good a runner is jefferson?

"runner" as in "zone read" type runner?
The rest of the frog.

HogWall Jackson

I believe other teams are trying to figure out exactly How to match up with our offense with the "New Looks" that they will see this year. Our OL will be still even better this year and the play calling will be better too.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HogWall Jackson on June 03, 2015, 05:38:25 am
I believe other teams are trying to figure out exactly How to match up with our offense with the "New Looks" that they will see this year. Our OL will be still even better this year and the play calling will be better too.

I also believe that our offense as a whole, will be more productive this year. The question is, with all of the talent that they have on defense at Auburn, will Muschamp be able to have an immediate positive effect on that side of the ball?

Our defense should be good again next year but I think that when we play Auburn that we are going to see more passing from them this year, as the article suggests, which should make them more difficult to defend. That was the purpose in posting this article by Murf, who does a great job of breaking these things down. A good preview of one of our opponents.
Go Hogs Go!

oldbear

It is very difficult with a fast paced offense to have a statistically strong defense. Not unlike our ball control offense, both sides of the ball, along with special teams have to compliment one another. The field position that you allow the other team through special teams and the number of possessions that you give the other team have a huge effect.

Generally, a faster paced offense goes even faster after the first, first down of a drive. If they don't get that first down, the defense is put more at risk. The more often they allow three and out, the more at risk the defense becomes. I believe it will be difficult for Muschamp to have and significant effect statistically, due to opponents having more snaps per game. In that scheme, the offense has to be successful.

I am not a fan of putting that much stress on one side of the ball. It is the in vogue thing to do and many people enjoy watching video games on tv. I really think it is like every other trend that has occurred in football. It will come and go and portions of it will stay, but only portions. Remember, the wishbone was very innovative in its day.

ballz2thewall

Quote from: oldbear on June 03, 2015, 08:30:17 am
It is very difficult with a fast paced offense to have a statistically strong defense. Not unlike our ball control offense, both sides of the ball, along with special teams have to compliment one another. The field position that you allow the other team through special teams and the number of possessions that you give the other team have a huge effect.

Generally, a faster paced offense goes even faster after the first, first down of a drive. If they don't get that first down, the defense is put more at risk. The more often they allow three and out, the more at risk the defense becomes. I believe it will be difficult for Muschamp to have and significant effect statistically, due to opponents having more snaps per game. In that scheme, the offense has to be successful.

I am not a fan of putting that much stress on one side of the ball. It is the in vogue thing to do and many people enjoy watching video games on tv. I really think it is like every other trend that has occurred in football. It will come and go and portions of it will stay, but only portions. Remember, the wishbone was very innovative in its day.

this.

i speak of it often. offensive pace is the largest factor in a team's defense; more so than a coaching change. the bottom line is that if yards are gained quickly, coupled with occasionally 3 and outs, the defense is in peril more so than a steady pace.

ask robb smith - he'll vouch for this.
The rest of the frog.

JansterZ71

Quote from: Harry Rex Vonner on June 02, 2015, 08:24:05 pm
not to Georgia

Doesn't matter,  Auburn's offense isn't the problem.  Just like Arkansas's defense wasn't the problem last year, but they still had a bad game now and then.

gmarv

the defense auburn saw last year when they played us.they won,t see when they play us this year.

jabohog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 02, 2015, 07:33:28 pm
I know last years game with them was the first game of the year, but out of the 70 plays Auburn ran on offense, 31% was pass plays. However, Johnson played only the first half (If I remember correctly) and he had 243 yards of the 293 total passing yards with two TDs throwing. I bet they throw more this year to try to score quickly, and run the later quarters to for TOP. Still may show more running plays, but may not be a much a part of the cumulative score.

I think Muschamp will have the defense in killer mode. The only weak spot may be the secondary because of depth.

Wow, a head coach with Arkansas roots that loves to beat the Hogs, and one of the best DCs in the country that hates Arkansas! Ought to be a physical game in The Don's Pig Sty.

LZH

Like him or not, Gus is a helluva OC.  We'll see.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: LZH on June 03, 2015, 04:26:01 pm
Like him or not, Gus is a helluva OC.  We'll see.
Can't disagree with that. Muschamp is a helluva DC, too.

We are gonna have less players flash pics of themselves holding cash than they will, though.
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Wildhog on June 02, 2015, 04:01:09 pm

The friends of Saban in Birmingham have quietly set up Auburn this year.  It's almost as if someone there wants teams to have extra reps to get ready for Gussie:

The week before the play the Tigers, MSU, UK, and Bama have lightweight OOC teams.
Georgia has UK at home,
A&M has USCe at home,
and Arkansas has an open date before Auburn at home.

Mike_e

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on June 03, 2015, 11:14:51 pm
The friends of Saban in Birmingham have quietly set up Auburn this year.  It's almost as if someone there wants teams to have extra reps to get ready for Gussie:

The week before the play the Tigers, MSU, UK, and Bama have lightweight OOC teams.
Georgia has UK at home,
A&M has USCe at home,

That's too bad.  Hope it helps. 

:)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on June 03, 2015, 11:14:51 pm

Georgia has UK at home,
A&M has USCe at home,

I think that this is great. Let's hope it trumps Auburn's talent base. If it backfires and they win in spite of all this, they will be in the SECCG.
Go Hogs Go!