Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is being a darkhorse going to be more a blessing or curse for Arkansas?

Started by Ben, June 01, 2015, 08:34:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

Being considered a darkhorse heightens the momentum going into the season.
At the same time, its putting a target on you and lowering your chances of sneaking up on someone.

Do you think Arkansas being tagged as a darkhorse be more helpful, harmful, or neutral?
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

Vantage 8 dude

Well if we're going to hope to steadily improve and begin to build a consistently competitive program we're going to have to get away from the idea that "we've got a target on our backs" 'cause we're expected to reach higher standards. I say embrace the expectations and use it as a positive motivation and incentive to win more games and play at a higher plain. You can't expect to have a top notch program if you're always concerned with being on the radar of other teams. It's how the 'Bamas, LSUs, tOSUs and other consistently high level programs; they adapt to the pressure and expectations and usually perform to those standards.

Kevin

i think we will be better, not sure it translates to many more wins
Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Ben on June 01, 2015, 08:34:34 pm
At the same time, its putting a target on you and lowering your chances of sneaking up on someone.

Do you think Arkansas being tagged as a darkhorse be more helpful, harmful, or neutral?

No one we play considers us to be a "darkhorse". That "darkhouse" tag is generated by sportswriters who are looking for reads and have no idea about how to really evaluate an opponent.

I assure you that Alabama has great respect for us, as does LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Missouri and everyone that we play. They aren't buying that "darkhorse" crap that writers spew at this time of the year.
Go Hogs Go!

Hawgzinbowlz

DARK HORSE :
a candidate or competitor about whom little is known but who unexpectedly wins or succeeds.

Every one knows who we are, our style of play and the uptrend of The Hogs.

We won't sneak up on anyone and we'll compete in EVERY GAME in '15, and all of our opponents will be ready.

The only thing that would qualify us as a 'dark horse' is our win total at years end and whether we would surprisingly challenge for Atlanta.

Being labeled a dark horse will have no effect on our teams performance this coming season. It does give the media something to write/discuss.

" GO HOGS "

sowmonella

It will make us more confident and give us the motivation to work harder.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

010HogFan

we aren't the dark horse for no reason...we are the dark horse because of the talent and experience we return, which should translate into at least a couple more wins.

Cinco de Hogo

As a team we are only borderline "darkhorse" but because of loses at certain positions it could be termed "dark" or more like muddy.  No differant than any other team.

However mostly writers are waiting to see "How the Allen Turns".  Fair or not, with the hiring of Enos most writers and fan are expecting to see a significant improvement in how the offense operates WITH Allen under center.

How the offense operates, or you could term it, how Allen operates the offense could easily add two win to last years total and that with a bowl win would be a nine win season...most would take that right now it BB's third season

If the defense is as good as last year that is entirely possible but even if it isn't I think the offense steps forward and wins some games. 

popcornhog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 01, 2015, 08:44:20 pm
No one we play considers us to be a "darkhorse". That "darkhouse" tag is generated by sportswriters who are looking for reads and have no idea about how to really evaluate an opponent.

I assure you that Alabama has great respect for us, as does LSU, Ole Miss, Miss State, Missouri and everyone that we play. They aren't buying that "darkhorse" crap that writers spew at this time of the year.

I'm not sure I follow your post. The dark horse tag is a compliment. It means that we can compete for the SEC, although we aren't the favorite.
WPS

Rison Razor Hog

Quote from: Ben on June 01, 2015, 08:34:34 pm

Darkhorse status is something sportswriters dream up for the fans to create hype or discussion. I think all the coaches in the SEC know who Arkansas is and what we are going to be capable of, so being labeled as a darkhorse neither hurts nor helps.
And on my deathbed, I'll achieve total consciousness, so I've got that goin' for me!

To paraphrase Benjamin Franklin: Billions for defense, but not one cent for dhimmitude!

Calling All Hogs

Every individual football program in the SEC is multimillion dollar business. With the help of technology, game planning is extensive. I doubt anyone sneaks up on anyone anymore. At least as far as coaches are concerned. Of course the game is still played by college students so motivating them to get up for 12 regular season games can be difficult and I'm sure general perception of how good a team is can be a factor.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: sowmonella on June 02, 2015, 08:24:23 am
It will make us more confident and give us the motivation to work harder.

This is what I want to see from the TEAM!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

PaintballHog

The cat was out of the bag at the end of last season.

We're a contender now.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: PaintballHog on June 02, 2015, 11:58:10 am
The cat was out of the bag at the end of last season.

We're a contender now.
Exactly, nobody will be sleeping on us, or really wanting to play us.

Paul

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 01, 2015, 08:44:20 pm

Agree with this.  Fans of other SEC teams are worried about playing us.  They ask me what I think our record will be this year & i just tell them " I don't know how many more games we'll win but I know we're going to hurt some people!'

Pigsknuckles

Dark beats dead. As a couple previous posters intimated, no opposing coach will take us for granted, though some fans, or talking heads might.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

jgphillips3

It's not harmful.  If we were pegged the favorite, that would be bad.  Dark horse is just a measure of respect for the up and comer.

Mike_e

A target on our backs no.

Circle the wagons and hide the women yes.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

LZH

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: LZH on June 03, 2015, 04:12:00 pm
I doubt we sneak up on anyone this year.

A much improved passing game would actually catch a few DC's off guard.  Our opponents are not going to drop back into coverage until someone other than Hatcher & the TE's demand respect.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*