Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Phil Steele releases preseason All-SEC

Started by Polecat, June 01, 2015, 11:44:20 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Unbelievable about HH.  Am I just missing something?   HH is always discussed highly by other coaches, commentators, etc......But he only made 3rd team?
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

LRRandy

Quote from: duckman on June 02, 2015, 03:28:49 am
Steele = MOTHO

Will be fun proving he is.....

Auburn will win 8 at best, the Gus offense has been figured out.  We are the team that nobody will want to face.  Our throwback offense is the one that teams will have hell figuring out. 

We are now the different animal...
Arkansas' offense won't be hard for anyone to figure out. CBB knows that, and doesn't care. The issue is has he assembled enough of his players and coached them up to successfully run his system. CBB wants to run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows he is going to run it. Not hard to figure out. He just wants to make his offensive execution hard to stop.
This is fun, isn't it.

razorbacksnum1

Quote from: SooiecidetillNuttgone on June 02, 2015, 08:01:37 am
Unbelievable about HH.  Am I just missing something?   HH is always discussed highly by other coaches, commentators, etc......But he only made 3rd team?

HH not being 1st or 2nd team is a joke. He's been postseason All SEC two years in a row and Steele puts him on 3rd team behind an Alabama player who thus far has not done much. It shows the Alabama bias that's prevalent among the media. Makes Steele look bad IMO.

trashcan maN

OJ Howard had 260 yards. 81 of those came in one game. That's just borderline offensive..

duckman

Quote from: LRRandy on June 02, 2015, 08:24:47 am
Arkansas' offense won't be hard for anyone to figure out. CBB knows that, and doesn't care. The issue is has he assembled enough of his players and coached them up to successfully run his system. CBB wants to run the ball when everyone in the stadium knows he is going to run it. Not hard to figure out. He just wants to make his offensive execution hard to stop.

Should I have said hard to figure out a way to stop it?  Just because we run the ball when the other team knows we are going to run it doesn't mean it is easy to figure out how to stop us. 

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: HogBreath on June 01, 2015, 11:07:44 pm
This Phil Steele guy is a clown, and that's not a recent development either.
Phil Steele is about as good as they come when to it comes to this preseason guessing stuff.

I hope this does light a fire under some guys like Ellis and he breaks into the 1st or 2nd team spots.  Don't really care about 3rd and 4th team picks.  That is entirely subjective.  I guess it's all kind of subjective but you can usually pick the top 1 or 2 players at a position.

And it's really not a great stretch that he would be discounting our defensive ranking from last year since we lost the top 4 players that led that that defensive unit.

LRRandy

Quote from: duckman on June 02, 2015, 09:49:51 am
Should I have said hard to figure out a way to stop it?  Just because we run the ball when the other team knows we are going to run it doesn't mean it is easy to figure out how to stop us.
stopping it is what they have to figure out. :-)
This is fun, isn't it.

popcornhog

Quote from: HVHog on June 01, 2015, 11:59:30 am
no respect for our defense whatsoever.  Not one player mentioned.

On paper, I agree with him. Who on our defense is worthy of All SEC pre-season honors?

That said, I have an incredible amount of trust/belief/faith in this defensive staff. They'll overachieve on D and the offense will be really good imo.

My two biggest gripes were not having HH first team TE and not having BA on the list at all.
WPS

hogcard1964

Quote from: DeltaBoy on June 02, 2015, 09:54:07 am
Phil showing us NO RESPECT.

Does he have a poll running on his website we can infiltrate?

LRRandy

Hunter Henry being listed as 3rd team sec seems like a slight but Phil Steele has Hunter on his 4th team All Anerican team. He has three sec TE on his four all American teams.
This is fun, isn't it.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: popcornhog on June 02, 2015, 10:28:52 am
On paper, I agree with him. Who on our defense is worthy of All SEC pre-season honors?

Ellis, for sure.

But it's like somebody has already said, our kids that are of that quality are unknowns to the media because they weren't high profile recruits, i.e. Jared Collins, DJ Dean, Henre' Tolliver, Bijhon Jackson (star rating, but committed early to us, therefore no high profile recruit), JaMichael Winston.

Were any of those kids playing for Bama, or Auburn, or OM, or LSU they would have been on his list.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

hogcard1964

That said, I have an incredible amount of trust/belief/faith in this defensive staff. They'll overachieve on D and the offense will be really good imo.

My two biggest gripes were not having HH first team TE and not having BA on the list at all.

My gripe is we don't have one starter off our offensive line.  That seems very odd.

HogBreath

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 02, 2015, 09:59:27 am
Phil Steele is about as good as they come when to it comes to this preseason guessing stuff.

I hope this does light a fire under some guys like Ellis and he breaks into the 1st or 2nd team spots.  Don't really care about 3rd and 4th team picks.  That is entirely subjective.  I guess it's all kind of subjective but you can usually pick the top 1 or 2 players at a position.

And it's really not a great stretch that he would be discounting our defensive ranking from last year since we lost the top 4 players that led that that defensive unit.
Reading thru the thread, it appears that most are a lot less impressed with the great Phil Steele than you apparently are.

I stand by my previous statement, the guy is a clown.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

bennyl08

Quote from: HogBreath on June 02, 2015, 05:57:20 pm
Reading thru the thread, it appears that most are a lot less impressed with the great Phil Steele than you apparently are.

Statistically speaking it is true, or at least is was true as of a few years ago.

http://preseason.stassen.com/

You can look at which publications get their preseason stuffs correct (though I don't see all conference lists, just rankings). Steele is consistently near the top.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

hogcard1964

Quote from: HogBreath on June 02, 2015, 05:57:20 pm

I think Steele is one of, if not the best.

YIKES

Pre-season polls and teams are for giggles. It's the post-season opinions that matter more.
"When you look long into an abyss, the abyss looks long into you." Nietzsche

Theolesnort

When Arkansas finishes with the top defense in the SEC this coming season after Steele had no Razorbacks in the top 4 all conference teams on defense then............. should this be grounds for extreme embarrassment for Phil Steele? He needs to be beaten over the head with it this post season ad nausea um. Sheer ignorance for a self proclaimed expert who never misses a opportunity to blow his own horn. I still kinda like the guy but, scheese.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

hawg66

Arkansas had one player mentioned on the three deep All-SEC defense named last year at media days, they finished 9th nationally, 2nd in the SEC.  AU had six named last year.  Sheesh.

The SEC media also had two offensive players named last year preseason for MSU, Dak and a receiver.  They led the SEC in total offense, top 10 nationally.

Steele is alright.  He picks about nine different ways, publishes them all, then brags incessantly about the ones he got right.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 02, 2015, 08:07:39 pm
I think Steele is one of, if not the best.

I do agree with you, but he's definitely drinking the kool-aid on a few of those SEC schools.
Let us then turn this government back into the channel in which the framers of the Constitution originally placed it.  Abraham Lincoln, 1858

Grizzlyfan

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 03, 2015, 07:56:55 am
When Arkansas finishes with the top defense in the SEC this coming season after Steele had no Razorbacks in the top 4 all conference teams on defense then............. should this be grounds for extreme embarrassment for Phil Steele? He needs to be beaten over the head with it this post season ad nausea um. Sheer ignorance for a self proclaimed expert who never misses a opportunity to blow his own horn. I still kinda like the guy but, scheese.
If your first sentence happens none of us will be giving a second thought to Phil Steele.

Pig in the Pokey

the whole damn unit! #9 defense, bro.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

bennyl08

I've stated previously that I think he definitely made some mistakes here.

However, we could have the number one defense in the country and not have any players on the list and it wouldn't inherently be wrong. I mean, we have the best rushing offense in the SEC but Chubb and Fournette are individually better than our guys individually. Especially for the first two teams, the only player on our defense right now that I would consider for first or second team is Ellis. I think we certainly have the horses to put up another very good defense and as the season goes, we get a few more guys on the list. However, yeah, right now most of our defense is full of names that most people haven't heard of and wouldn't be surprised if most of the guys listed ahead of our guys were drafted to the NFL ahead of our guys, save for the TE position. Henry should easily be drafted over Engram and OJ Howard still has a long way to go.
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Theolesnort

Benny naming two teams and leaving all the Razorbacks off, yeah I might could see that, but naming 4 teams without a hog???? Grounds for being tarred and feathered I'd say. The guy blew it big time and he has no excuses.
There's Nuttin in the world worth a solitary dime cept Old dogs and children and watermelon wine.

duckman

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 03, 2015, 04:14:24 pm
Benny naming two teams and leaving all the Razorbacks off, yeah I might could see that, but naming 4 teams without a hog???? Grounds for being tarred and feathered I'd say. The guy blew it big time and he has no excuses.

Wow we agree on something.... +1

HogBreath

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on June 03, 2015, 09:56:22 am
If your first sentence happens none of us will be giving a second thought to Phil Steele.
I'll not be giving a second thought to the dude under any circumstances.  Let him slobber on Bama & Auburn.  He can kiss my azz.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

bennyl08

Quote from: Theolesnort on June 03, 2015, 04:14:24 pm

See my first post in this thread where I say the same thing. I'm not arguing his list isn't flawed this year, simply debating some of the logic in this thread. His list isn't wrong because our defense was statistically good last year and should be pretty good this year too. His list is wrong because we have some individually talented players that he left off in favor of projections. We could have the best 11 man group on defense in the country, but if there are 44 better individuals on the other 13 SEC teams, our guys don't need to be on the list. How good they are as a group is irrelevant. The idea that he thought there were 16 better LB's than Ellis in the SEC is crazy though.

hogcard1964

Quote from: bennyl08 on June 03, 2015, 01:14:38 pm
I've stated previously that I think he definitely made some mistakes here.

However, we could have the number one defense in the country and not have any players on the list and it wouldn't inherently be wrong. I mean, we have the best rushing offense in the SEC but Chubb and Fournette are individually better than our guys individually. Especially for the first two teams, the only player on our defense right now that I would consider for first or second team is Ellis. I think we certainly have the horses to put up another very good defense and as the season goes, we get a few more guys on the list. However, yeah, right now most of our defense is full of names that most people haven't heard of and wouldn't be surprised if most of the guys listed ahead of our guys were drafted to the NFL ahead of our guys, save for the TE position. Henry should easily be drafted over Engram and OJ Howard still has a long way to go.

Chubb probably is.  Fournette probably isn't as good as either of ours.

EastexHawg

Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 03, 2015, 10:19:30 am
the whole damn unit! #9 defense, bro.

That was last year, and that #9 unit lost its top three players...including Trey Flowers, who I believe was the best player OVERALL in the entire SEC.  It's going to be very hard to replace Flowers, Philon, and Spaight.

I agree with everyone else that Hunter Henry should have been the first team TE. 

GolfnHog

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 01, 2015, 11:11:20 pm
Totally meaningless list.  Tell Phil to try this again in 6 months when it counts, & let's grade him on how much he got right the first time.

Exactly, as the thread title implies, it's a Preseason list. That only equates to "Not sure about anything but just so people will read, here's a list"
Have you ever listened to someone  or read what they put into thoughts and wondered...."who ties your shoelaces for you?"

azhog10

For an Oline to give up the least amount of sacks the last two years and get 0 first team OLine is beyond me. HH is another one, and we continue to get no love for the Defense. I thought this last season would have changed that.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: azhog10 on June 04, 2015, 02:45:34 pm
For an Oline to give up the least amount of sacks the last two years and get 0 first team OLine is beyond me. HH is another one, and we continue to get no love for the Defense. I thought this last season would have changed that.

I hear where you're coming from here, but honestly, until we breakthrough into the top level of the SEC our players will continue to be disrespected.

Media types are pretty much always late to come to the truth, sometimes a couple of years after the fact.

bigdaddyhawg

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 04, 2015, 01:06:32 pm

IF Fournette starts practicing and playing as a grown, determined man, he could be the best in the league.

But it's just potential at this point, and until he realizes that potential, your assessment will be accurate.

Swine-as-wine

Wonder if 'ol Phil will wanna redo after we smoke Auburn's ass like a cheap cigar

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hogcard1964 on June 04, 2015, 01:06:32 pm
list should go 1. chubb 2. jwill 3. collins 4. fournette
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli