Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Is it time to seize the opportunity?

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, May 28, 2015, 08:45:38 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

MuskogeeHogFan

I have run into a lot of older Texas fans in the Tulsa area and any time that I bring up the Hogs (as I inevitably will) the talk turns back to the old Southwest Conference Days and of course, the butt-beating we gave them in the bowl game this past season.

Most that I have talked with would love to restart an annual game with Arkansas, either home and home or at a neutral site, like Dallas. Apparently, they always looked forward to this game. It may not be so for younger fans, but the fans with more years under their belts would like to see this renewed. Even though they were beaten to the "nth" degree in the bowl game, it apparently revived some sense of how great the games were in the old SW Conference days.

Texas has their annual rivalry game with Oklahoma in Dallas, but the folks I have talked to would enjoy seeing a permanent, OOC annual rivalry game with Arkansas renewed. They remember the old days when we faced them every year.

Personally, I would like to see this. it would be a great OOC game with someone who is viewed as a top tier national program and beating their arses on a national stage couldn't do anything but help our recruiting in Texas and nationally as well.

Aside from the normal, "screw Texas" remarks, what are your thoughts?
Go Hogs Go!

Bacons Rebellion

I like a rotating opponent for our home-and-home OOC game. It keeps things fresh. We can't really do both unless circumstances change.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bacons Rebellion on May 28, 2015, 08:54:30 pm
I like a rotating opponent for our home-and-home OOC game. It keeps things fresh. We can't really do both unless circumstances change.

We have several OOC games, why not make one of those Texas, every year? Aside from keeping things "fresh", could we reap greater benefit in recruiting in Texas?
Go Hogs Go!

Maddhog

"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

PorkSoda

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 28, 2015, 08:57:29 pm
We have several OOC games, why not make one of those Texas, every year? Aside from keeping things "fresh", could we reap greater benefit in recruiting in Texas?
I wouldn't mind rotating between Texas, TT, and TCU or something to that effect.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Paul

I'm old enough to remember watching the "Big Shootouts". I wouldn't mind playing them regularly but I don't have a burning desire to play them any more now that every week in the conference is a big game & their program has lost much of its luster.

Hogarusa

Sure, with Texas, let's also schedule Florida State, USC, and Ohio State.  Need a strong schedule to make up for the weak SEC West schedule. Plus those are great spots for recruiting. 

I prefer 4 directional schools and the likes of Duke, Kansas, Colorado, and Maryland from P5 schools.  Amazing those 4 schools actually represent the 4 other P5 conferences
I'll ride the wave where it takes me

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Paul on May 28, 2015, 09:13:12 pm
I'm old enough to remember watching the "Big Shootouts". I wouldn't mind playing them regularly but I don't have a burning desire to play them any more now that every week in the conference is a big game & their program has lost much of its luster.

Texas is isn't going to "stay down". That program will rise again. Just too much talent in Texas whether it is Charlie Strong as the HC or someone else. I see them kinda like Florida, just waiting for the right guy to head up the program.

Maybe it is the older fan in me, but I would love to see an annual grudge match against Texas again as an OOC match-up.
Go Hogs Go!

GatorHog

We should get weird - play a military branch, Ark. State, some new england school like UCONN.  We can always get matched up with Texas for the occasional bowl.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GatorHog on May 28, 2015, 09:22:56 pm
We should get weird - play a military branch, Ark. State, some new england school like UCONN.  We can always get matched up with Texas for the occasional bowl.

That would be weird all right, and needless. But let's not derail the thread. This is about playing Texas every year.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorWhacker

ricepig

If they can get their program back up to FBS level, than sure, as long as they're willing to come to RRS every year......

Hawgzinbowlz

A game with Texas would be as good as we could schedule, for an OOC game.
With that being said and taking into consideration our SEC schedule, year after year, I would prefer that we don't limit ourselves to scheduling Texas on an annual basis. I would like to include them along with TCU, TT and maybe Houston/SMU for an added presence in Texas (along with our annual A&M game at 'Jerry's World') and still would like to not be limited to a Texas school every year. An added state of Texas, D-1, OOC game would be OK 50% percent +/- of the time.
Along with our directional contests and a couple of rent-a-wins I like the fact that we are scheduling Michigan for a home and home and would prefer that our high level OOC game be spread around, including multiple Texas schools, to spread our footprint toward a more national scope.
I do like beating the dog Hog out of Texas but would prefer a wider footprint for our one high level D-1 OOC game. If we were to play a Michigan, Wisconsin, Nebraska, ND, Miami, Clemson, Va./West Va., SoCal/UCLA, Oklahoma/Oklahoma State etc. etc. I think CBB could use these type of games to enhance our recruiting.

" GO HOGS "

PonderinHog

Quote from: RazorWhacker on May 28, 2015, 09:25:43 pm
Screw Texas.

Someone had to do it.  :)
Quote from: ricepig on May 28, 2015, 09:30:22 pm
If they can get their program back up to FBS level, than sure, as long as they're willing to come to RRS every year......
Y'all are on the right track.   ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown:: ::hornsdown::

ZERO

I don't know. I would love to get in on some annual Texas hate like the Arkansas fans before me, but with the strength of the SEC, I'm afraid it will just be too big of a gamble in the long run. Especially if we end up moving to a 9-game conference slate. With only three OoC slots, do we really want to take up one with a potentially powerful Texas each and every year?

A guy mentioned Arkansas State up there (probably jokingly), and I know you're staunchly in the "what do we gain from that situation?" crowd. I ask you the same thing of playing Texas every year. We already play Texas A&M in Dallas every year for the recruiting, and we have games with Texas Tech and TCU lined up, so it's safe to assume we're always going to have recruiting presence in the state of Texas, sometimes very significant presence. We're trying to make it to the playoff and win national titles, and I don't see how a yearly game with Texas could do anything but hinder us.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

Quote"These fans hate Texas more than they like themselves."

ZERO

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 28, 2015, 09:33:30 pmI would like to include them along with TCU, TT and maybe Houston/SMU for an added presence in Texas (along with our annual A&M game at 'Jerry's World') and still would like to not be limited to a Texas school every year. An added state of Texas, D-1, OOC game would be OK 50% percent +/- of the time.
Along with our directional contests and a couple of rent-a-wins I like the fact that we are scheduling Michigan for a home and home and would prefer that our high level OOC game be spread around, including multiple Texas schools, to spread our footprint toward a more national scope.

I think I agree with this. Texas, Texas A&M, TCU, Texas Tech, North Texas, Texas State, UTEP, Houston, Rice, UTSA, and SMU are all FBS programs in the state of Texas. That's 11 programs to pepper in.
Quote from: Squealers on December 30, 2014, 05:14:49 pmCharlie Strong and I have something in common... yesterday we both got colonoscopies.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: ZERO on May 28, 2015, 09:46:15 pm
I don't know. I would love to get in on some annual Texas hate like the Arkansas fans before me, but with the strength of the SEC, I'm afraid it will just be too big of a gamble in the long run. Especially if we end up moving to a 9-game conference slate. With only three OoC slots, do we really want to take up one with a potentially powerful Texas each and every year?

A guy mentioned Arkansas State up there (probably jokingly), and I know you're staunchly in the "what do we gain from that situation?" crowd. I ask you the same thing of playing Texas every year. We already play Texas A&M in Dallas every year for the recruiting, and we have games with Texas Tech and TCU lined up, so it's safe to assume we're always going to have recruiting presence in the state of Texas, sometimes very significant presence. We're trying to make it to the playoff and win national titles, and I don't see how a yearly game with Texas could do anything but hinder us.

Sorry, just my hatred of Texas and despite rotations of OOC games year to year, this is one we could hang our hats on every year and would likely be picked up as a regular rivalry game by national broadcasts. Can we get too many games that are broadcast nationally for recruiting purposes?
Go Hogs Go!

hoglady

I would love it.
A decent OCC game built in every year.
Couldn't do anything but help Texas recruiting.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 28, 2015, 09:51:12 pm
Sorry, just my hatred of Texas and despite rotations of OOC games year to year, this is one we could hang our hats on every year and would likely be picked up as a regular rivalry game by national broadcasts. Can we get too many games that are broadcast nationally for recruiting purposes?

If an annual game with Texas were scheduled there would be a lot of upside, and it would be an instantly revived rivalry. It wouldn't be a negative but for me personally I would prefer a more national footprint.
Good subject.

" GO HOGS "

ZERO

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 28, 2015, 09:51:12 pm

Ultimately, fans just want to be entertained by their team. Playing Texas would pay the most entertainment many of our fans could ask for, so I don't blame you or anyone else for wanting it. I kind of want it, myself. But it's been 50 years now since we won a NC, and I'd like to stop hanging our hats on something we did half a century ago, we'd better be prepared for the possibility of another half a century if this happened.

RazorWhacker

Quote from: ZERO on May 28, 2015, 09:46:15 pm

Hating Texas (spit) is not something to "get in on". Sorry, I know some of you young'uns won't understand.

Hating Texas (spit), well,... it just IS....If you're a Razorback fan you hate Texas (spit).... There is no understanding, misunderstanding, don't get it, what's it all about BS...SCREW TEXAS (SPIT)!

Move the saggies to a home/home and then play Texas (spit) in Dallas every year. You will learn to understand the Texas (spit) hate after a few years, especially after watching the Texas (spit) refs make Mark Curles and Penn Wagers look like Abe Lincoln.

Screw Texas (spit).

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on May 28, 2015, 10:00:06 pm
If an annual game with Texas were scheduled there would be a lot of upside, and it would be an instantly revived rivalry. It wouldn't be a negative but for me personally I would prefer a more national footprint.
Good subject.

" GO HOGS "

Playing Texas, with the revival of an old rivalry game, considering that Texas isn't getting A&M back anytime soon, would be a great t.v. match-up, a throw back, and with recent results to inspire the masses.
Go Hogs Go!

ZERO

Quote from: RazorWhacker on May 28, 2015, 10:02:17 pm
Hating Texas (spit) is not something to "get in on". Sorry, I know some of you young'uns won't understand.

This is exactly what I'm talking about. I became a Razorback fan without the encouragement of anyone in my family, and I'm not old enough to remember all the bloodshed of those glory days. How people my age be expected to be that emotionally attached to something so foreign to us? So, yes, I would love the chance to experience what would probably be the ultimate Hog fan experience in going to the Arkansas-Texas games whenever I could, rather than wait for the stars to align.

But every year? Hey, I'd get behind it 100% if it came to fruition, but the logical side of me knows that's a risky move.

Smokehouse

I'm not a fan of permanent OOC matchups, outside of the really big, uninterrupted rivalries out there. Even if it works out well a lot of years, there's always the chance that it really handcuffs you when it comes to working out the rest of the schedule. Especially if it was a permanent neutral site game that could limit home games in the future.
QuoteSometimes a warrior just has to lay down on the ground there for a minute and just have a good bleed. Just bleed.

Words of wisdom from John Pelphrey.

rickm1976

No thanks.  Our (and just about every other SEC school) schedule is tough enough as it is.  The shorthorns are down right now, but they will be back.

Hollywood_HOGan45

I like rotating major non sec teams like we are now. Tcu next year then Michigan in 18 and 19 is perfect.
Playing Texas a couple times in a decade would be nice to drum up the old rivalry memories though.

RazorWhacker

Quote from: ZERO on May 28, 2015, 10:07:18 pm
This is exactly what I'm talking about. I became a Razorback fan without the encouragement of anyone in my family, and I'm not old enough to remember all the bloodshed of those glory days. How people my age be expected to be that emotionally attached to something so foreign to us? So, yes, I would love the chance to experience what would probably be the ultimate Hog fan experience in going to the Arkansas-Texas games whenever I could, rather than wait for the stars to align.

But every year? Hey, I'd get behind it 100% if it came to fruition, but the logical side of me knows that's a risky move.

I got ya. I know what you're saying. What I'm trying to do is put it in perspective for you. So let this sink in... for us older Razorback Fans, hating Texas (spit) is... natural. Built in. There is nothing to get in on. It's like you're saying you want to become a cattle rancher so you can "get in" on some fence mending. Fence mending is something a cattle rancher does because it has to be done. It's not trendy or cool to mend fences, it's just what he does. If you want to be a cattle rancher, you mend the fences.. likewise.. if you want to be a Razorback Fan, you hate Texas (spit)... Mandatory... No choosing to do it or not. You get up early, get your coffee and start hating Texas (spit).

Hell yes. Play Texas (spit) every year. There isn't really any other choice.

Hope this helps.

ZERO

JIHawg

I love to hate Texas.  Yes to playing them at JerryWorld instead of the Tex. Tech or TCU game.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 28, 2015, 10:04:24 pm
Playing Texas, with the revival of an old rivalry game, considering that Texas isn't getting A&M back anytime soon, would be a great t.v. match-up, a throw back, and with recent results to inspire the masses.

I like the idea, and there is some added intrigue to that game.  All of the sports channels and bowl experts worked hard to sell our "rivalry" and history in the bowl game last year, until we curb stomped them.  But....even then... 

...it was obvious that the media has a soft sport for Texas, and they weren't going to rip on them, because even when we had our foot on their throats they wouldn't shut up about how they were young, and would regain prominence in the coming seasons.  It sort of got to be ridiculous. 

That's why I can't stand them.  While I've heard plenty of excuses, there is no REASON that Texas shouldn't be a powerhouse football team every single season.  Somehow, they managed to take their sense of entitlement and ego, and have it carry over to the players.  At least that's my guess, because they have underachieved for so long that it's not even funny.  With their resource and recruiting base, it's a joke that they stink.  They should be embarrassed at this point. 

Having said all of that, I would love to have a yearly game with them.  The fact is, if we can't beat Texas, then winning in the SEC is going to be a long row to hoe.  They may rise from the ashes and be dominant again, but it would be fun to kick 'em around a little for a few years while they're "working things out."   ;) 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

bphi11ips

Is there an opportunity to play Texas every year?  Wouldn't Texas have to agree? They already owe us a game in Fayetteville that is long overdue.

If it happens it will be as a conference game.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

SooiecidetillNuttgone

Move the saggies to a home/home and then play Texas (spit) in Dallas every year. You will learn to understand the Texas (spit) hate after a few years, especially after watching the Texas (spit) refs make Mark Curles and Penn Wagers look like Abe Lincoln.

Screw Texas (spit).

Agree with this.....Well, for a Four on and Two off.  That would allow for a home and home with a diff school for each program every once in a while.   Plus, the grind.   God, the grind of the SEC.  A series with a weak P5 opponent in a decent recruiting ground those two off years would allow for a spreading around effect.   Plus, the two years off should build suspense back up.

Doing my idea would set up 4 serieses with Texass for a 24 year stretch.   That would be a nice run.

Oh, and before some Brainiac gets giggly as a little girl to correct someone.....4 games on +2 games off = a 6 year stretch x 4  Texass serieses would equal 24 years.   

Well, 22 years if we didn't renew cause you wouldn't count the following 2 game series on what would be the ''off'' years.

Probably a stupid idea, huh?   I obviously don't know jack about scheduling.
His response to me:
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on October 13, 2016, 11:48:33 am
So everyone one of the nationalized incidents were justified? There is no race problems with policing? If that is what you believe.....well bless your heart, it must be hard going through life with the obstacles you must have to overcome. Do they send a bus to come pick you up?

Shrevepork

Yes, Yes, Yes to any OOC with the 'Horns would be sweet.
We're coming up on the 50th anniversary of Brittenum to Crockett going down the field in the final minutes and Brittenum scoring to beat number 1, Texass. It was glorious. I had a high school friend that was going to UT and wanted to spend the night in my Yocum room. He didn't show up after the game.

Dickson was crazy and, if you had Texas plates on your car, you would likely lose your radio antenna. I watched from above the bowling alley, where the slot car tracks were. It was a real riot.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on May 29, 2015, 01:04:59 am
Is there an opportunity to play Texas every year?  Wouldn't Texas have to agree? They already owe us a game in Fayetteville that is long overdue.

If it happens it will be as a conference game.

Oh, you and I both know it will probably never happen. I have just run into so many Texas fans here lately and while they are not very proud of how their team played in the bowl game, they said that they enjoyed the anticipation of playing Arkansas again and wished that we were playing each other every year. But as we know, fans don't make the schedules.
Go Hogs Go!

Jeff "hogfanintx" Anderson

The only Time Texas does anything there must be a benefit to Texas.  I don't see anything they would have to gain from it.  Almost like the same reason there is zero benefit for the Hogs to play Arky ST.

They don't need the revenue at all.  Certainly don't need to recruit the state of Arkansas.  Perhaps it would make a few of their older alum smile, but that's about it.

So long and short it's never gonna happen.
Let's make some waves.

HogWall Jackson

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 28, 2015, 08:45:38 pm
I have run into a lot of older Texas fans in the Tulsa area and any time that I bring up the Hogs (as I inevitably will) the talk turns back to the old Southwest Conference Days and of course, the butt-beating we gave them in the bowl game this past season.

Most that I have talked with would love to restart an annual game with Arkansas, either home and home or at a neutral site, like Dallas. Apparently, they always looked forward to this game. It may not be so for younger fans, but the fans with more years under their belts would like to see this renewed. Even though they were beaten to the "nth" degree in the bowl game, it apparently revived some sense of how great the games were in the old SW Conference days.

Texas has their annual rivalry game with Oklahoma in Dallas, but the folks I have talked to would enjoy seeing a permanent, OOC annual rivalry game with Arkansas renewed. They remember the old days when we faced them every year.

Personally, I would like to see this. it would be a great OOC game with someone who is viewed as a top tier national program and beating their arses on a national stage couldn't do anything but help our recruiting in Texas and nationally as well.

NO MORE NEUTRAL SITE GAMES! If we play them it has to be Home and Home. I don't think we should help them reclaim their reputation in being a Legitimate Program. They should 1st renew the Game with A&M. We are rebuilding our program now, a bit ahead of Texas, but make no mistake we still have progress to be made. No objection to playing them, it just should be to benefit our Program for once.

MuckyPig

We do play them again in 2021 (9/11).

Looks like our next opportunity to get on their schedule would be 2025.  The time to make a deal would have to be now or I'll be to old to be allowed to watch a game like that...could die screaming at the TV or whatever we watch in the future.

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/big-12/texas-longhorns.php

lahawg1

I thought I heard that starting in 2016 (may have the year wrong) that all P5 schools have to schedule an OOC P5 school. This arrangement would kill a couple of birds with one rock....And who knows, in a few years they may be in the SEC West.....

ricepig

Quote from: lahawg1 on May 29, 2015, 07:35:31 am
I thought I heard that starting in 2016 (may have the year wrong) that all P5 schools have to schedule an OOC P5 school. This arrangement would kill a couple of birds with one rock....And who knows, in a few years they may be in the SEC West.....

Nope, but SEC schools have that mandate, but they allow BYU, Army, and ND to count as one. We have TCU and Michigan lined up for 2016-2019, we're covered.

Cinco de Hogo

I was 11 in 1968 and remember it well. 

NO is my answer!  If we never played Texas again I would be just fine, don't miss them at all.  I don't even think about them anymore, they are not relevant to my sports well being.

You younger fans are missing out on nothing but a bunch of angst and frustration.  Sure we beat them occasional but only if they are down which in reality should NEVER happen but the football gods are good to the rest of the football world sometimes.

I enjoy letting Texas fans know they are second rate to our opponents in the SEC, that is how those shorthorns deserve to be treated.  They have had all the chances they deserve to be a respected program and the arrogant pricks have screwed the pooch with just about everyone that loves football. They are destroyers of conferences and why anyone would want to play them is beyond understanding.

By the way, T A&M is heading in the same direction.  The SEC has created a monster that I hope it can control.  If they do it will only be because they are...well...Aggies!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 28, 2015, 08:45:38 pm

I agree and for all the reasons you mentioned.  I know you know this, but it would also be a big deal for recruiting in that talent rich state.  Just the arrogance of the Texas fans and this state's passion to be better than Texas in any way possible would quickly elevate this game to the level it once was at.  Not to mention how the media would jump all over this matchup.  It would be a no lose series.

The NewEra

Quote from: Paul on May 28, 2015, 09:13:12 pm

Another great thing about playing Texas is they are always ranked 20 points higher in the polls than they deserve.  Beating them is always a false boost to one's RPI.

duckman

I would love to go to a home and home schedule with A&M and have a Ark vs. Tex game at Jerry world every year....

The NewEra

Hating Texas (spit), well,... it just IS....If you're a Razorback fan you hate Texas (spit).... There is no understanding, misunderstanding, don't get it, what's it all about BS...SCREW TEXAS (SPIT)!

Screw Texas (spit).

This is so true (spit).  Sorry, just had to do that.............Look at how fired up this state was for the bowl game with them and neither team was highly ranked.  The last time we had that excitement around here was in the bowl game against Ohio State.  This would quickly become one of the most anticipated game every year.

Mike_e

How about the day after Thanksgiving?

We'd get a monster rivalry game and twist aTm and  misery both.

As to it being too hard - you can run with the big dogs all you like but to actually be one you've got to grow big dog teeth.
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

jgphillips3

Move the A&M game to home and home, play Texas in Arlington and schedule scrub teams for the other OOC.  I'd be good with that.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: The NewEra on May 29, 2015, 08:30:55 am
This is so true (spit).  Sorry, just had to do that.............Look at how fired up this state was for the bowl game with them and neither team was highly ranked.  The last time we had that excitement around here was in the bowl game against Ohio State.  This would quickly become one of the most anticipated game every year.

I'd like to have the concession on "Tuck Fexas" t-shirts with an upside down Longhorn below the lettering. In fact, those might sell right now. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

The NewEra

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 29, 2015, 08:54:19 am
I'd like to have the concession on "Tuck Fexas" t-shirts with an upside down Longhorn below the lettering. In fact, those might sell right now. ;)

I'm with you on the desire to have a piece of that action.

BTW, one stipulation I would have in place for this game that would be non-negotiable.  We should not agree to play them with the only televised rights for any of the games going to The Longhorn Network.  Make it an ESPN or major network televised game only.  I wouldn't want to do ANYTHING that would help out their pitiful Network.

Inhogswetrust

May 29, 2015, 09:00:43 am #48 Last Edit: May 29, 2015, 09:12:45 am by Inhogswetrust

Screw Texas (spit).

A lot of younger fans do not understand the obsession with hating tejas. They were not around when it was such an important contest like LSU and Bama are today. That's fine. I understand it BUT they DO need to understand that tejas considers themselves the biggest power broker in college sports and are the most arrogant bunch beating out such notables for that title such as USCw, OSU, ND, MI, OU and of course Bama. Hogfanintx said it best, tejas does nothing unless it is benefits them. They don't care what anyone else thinks or does, they are in their warped mind the emperor. That is the main reason the little 12 will always be shaky. It  will probably be that way until OU, OSU, KU and others grows a pair like TAMU, Mizzou, Nebraska and Colorado did. Think about that for a minute. That is FOUR teams that left the little 12. The number open reason is tejas arrogance. They couldn't keep those in the fold so they had to go out and get other schools that they never would have asked to join before.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Bacons Rebellion

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 28, 2015, 08:57:29 pm

We have several OOC games, but only one is a home-and-home series. If we add Texas and it replaces one of the rent-a-win games, then RRS is sitting empty one weekend every two years and our admin probably doesn't want to do that.

Assuming we go 50/50 with Texas (which we haven't done historically) then we add 1/2 a loss per year which doesn't help us get to the playoff (If we went 12-1 in the SEC, it won't matter if we beat Texas or not; if we went 11-2 we're probably out of the playoff picture).

If it replaces the rotating game (Rutgers, Texas Tech, TCU, Michigan) then we lose the national-scope variety. I would really be against that. I enjoy that game.

I might see it if the SEC cuts the conference schedule by a game.