Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which Heisman RB would you rather have on your team?

Started by Ben, May 26, 2015, 08:38:49 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Which heisman RB would you take?

Earl Campbell
Bo Jackson
Herschel Walker
Barry Sanders
Other

Ben

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

The real Hogules

I voted for Hershel, but I'd rather have DMac.
I do realize that DMAC didn't win the Heisman, but he was the best I've ever seen with the ball in his hands.
Bobby's back and he ain't here to paint!

HogInFlorida

May 26, 2015, 08:58:40 pm #2 Last Edit: May 26, 2015, 09:20:20 pm by HogInFlorida
Herschel. Bo is the greatest athlete since the video camera was invented but Herschel had an unmatched work ethic (still does. He looks as ripped as ever and he's in his 50s) and he was a team player. Great as he was, Bo was all about Bo and that doesn't fit Bielema's ideal player mold. You could say Herschel is more #uncommon
Quote from: Mike Irwin on June 12, 2013, 09:18:52 pm
I'd rather be hit over the head with a brick than have to revisit the memories of those seven awful months with coach "Smile" in charge.

Cletus

See, what had happened was........

CDBHawg

jrulz83

Lenin is cautiously optimistic.

rickm1976

I voted for Earl.  His son and mine were on opposing HS teams, and I sat next to him in a Texas state playoff game.  He is a heck of a nice guy, and a class act.  He carried the Longhorns on his back back in the 70's.

pigbacon

Quote from: HogInFlorida on May 26, 2015, 08:58:40 pm
Herschel. Bo is the greatest athlete since the video camera was invented but Herschel had an unmatched work ethic (still does. He looks as ripped as ever and he's in his 50s) and he was a team player. Great as he was, Bo was all about Bo and that doesn't fit Bielema's ideal player mold. You could say Herschel is more #uncommon

I voted for Bo but can see your point with Hershel. Not a Heisman and not trying to derail, but I'd love to see John Riggins in CBB's offense. I love watching his highlights.

threeNout

if my team was a college team...EARL

if my team was a pro team...HERSCHEL

lahawg1

Earl as the FB, Bo and Herschel. Use them like Peyton, Felix, and DMac...sounds good to me.

gmarv

I voted for barry.i,ve never seen so many moments where you just were amazed at what he just did.

CDBHawg

Quote from: gmarv on May 27, 2015, 08:03:40 am
I voted for barry.i,ve never seen so many moments where you just were amazed at what he just did.

Barry had the best season of a college RB ever.

Had he not had Thurman Thomas in front of him, who knows what he'd of accomplished his first two years.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: The real Hogules on May 26, 2015, 08:46:49 pm
I voted for Hershel, but I'd rather have DMac.
I do realize that DMAC didn't win the Heisman, but he was the best I've ever seen with the ball in his hands.

Me too... Would rather have DMAC..!
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DLUXHOG

Hershel absolutely decimated opposing defenses for at least 3 of the 3 years he played at Georgia..........   He wasn't the fastest Heisman RB ever, but maybe the most powerful........
"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

RebelliousHog

Barry. Made things happen even when he had sub-par Olines. What he could do with THIS line?
Almost picked Bo , but as he matured he had injuries. Granted the hip thing was a freak accident. He was a monster athlete. As good as Herschel was, I never liked his running style. Campbell. Might really have fit better in this system. I just liked Sanders. 
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

NaturalStateReb

Well, I don't guess you can go wrong with any of these guys, but I went with Bo Jackson. 

If Bo Jackson hadn't been injured, he would have ended up as the best known athlete in the world.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

DeltaBoy

Earl Campbell cause D players today never seen anything like him.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

The_Bionic_Pig

Arkansas based: Basil Shabazz then Dmac....Madre Hill....C4....Peyton Hillis....James Rouse......Dennis Johnson

Overall:  #1 Herschell Walker #2 OJ Simpson (pre-shank) #3 Mike Rozier #4 Barry Sanders #5 Ricky Williams #6 Bo Jackson #7 Marcus Allen
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

BigSexyHog

Lebron raised money for kids... Rotnei stole crap from the equipment room

hawginbigd1

I am convinced that I have never, nor will ever see another Bo Jackson!

trashcan maN

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on May 27, 2015, 11:52:53 am

Overall:  #1 Herschell Walker #2 OJ Simpson (pre-shank) #3 Mike Rozier #4 Barry Sanders #5 Ricky Williams #6 Bo Jackson #7 Marcus Allen
Post-shank OJ is underrated. I'd take him late in the draft

Inhogswetrust

May 27, 2015, 01:14:08 pm #22 Last Edit: May 27, 2015, 01:48:46 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: rickm1976 on May 26, 2015, 10:45:44 pm
I voted for Earl.  His son and mine were on opposing HS teams, and I sat next to him in a Texas state playoff game.  He is a heck of a nice guy, and a class act.  He carried the Longhorns on his back back in the 70's.

Usually he carried the other teams tacklers on his back...............all the way to a TD.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HiggiePiggy

Quote from: hawginbigd1 on May 27, 2015, 12:41:18 pm
I am convinced that I have never, nor will ever see another Bo Jackson!

That's the way I feel about Barry sanders.   Emmitt Smith should be sending him a thank you card every year for retiring early. 

Screw the Detroit Lions. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

HVHog

Earl Campbell, and then when we needed a backup on the OL, he could play there!

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HogInFlorida on May 26, 2015, 08:58:40 pm
Earl Campbell was uncommon
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang
@Slackaveli

TheHAWGfather

atekido

Since this is a hypothetical group.  ignoring injuries and such.  Bo jackson.

ChicoHog

Barry was my far my favorite to watch but I voted for Campbell because I think he would have been most successful in BB offense.  He was a tank.  Sanders was more exciting but he also could lose yards once in a while.  Campbell was a man amongst boys so to speak.  Kind of like Jim Brown was back in the day. 

East Clintwood

Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: trashcan maN on May 27, 2015, 12:51:59 pm
Post-shank OJ is underrated. I'd take him late in the draft

They call that upside right?
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

KlubhouseKonnected

Nobody has ever combined speed and power like Bo Jackson.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 29, 2015, 12:10:55 am
Nobody has ever combined speed and power like Bo Jackson.

I agree.  I was actually amazed recently by watching Walker in his UGA days, and he ran with more power than I remembered.  They were both incredible.  I'd still lean toward Bo, because if he broke free...NO ONE was going to catch him, he gawn, which seemed almost silly at his size.   

DMAC is in that conversation.  He didn't win the Heisman, but I think a few things could have certainly helped him get at least one.  If Nutt had let him go crazy in the "warm up" patsy games to pad his stats, and if the media hadn't looked for every possible way to give it to Tebow on his second chance, I think he wins at least that one. 

One of the biggest jokes I've seen in CFB was the media touting the number of TD's Tebow had as some marvelous accomplishment.  He was running it in from inside the 3 yard line, and Meyer called his number every time in those situations.  How could he NOT score? 

Forgive me...I'm still bitter.  DMAC was the best player that season and he got jobbed.   
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

fsmhogfan

I grew up in Houston and Campbell was so good that fans changed the name of the team to the Houston Earlers. I didn't see him play for Texas other than old highlights but what he did during his first four years in Houston was just incredible.

The compiled list is pretty interesting. Each guy had such a unique running style and you could make a compelling argument for each one. I do wonder if the OP was talking about pro or college?

For those who mention DMac, he is my sentimental favorite as well and hopefully with a good OL in Dallas he can show how good he really is.

jgphillips3

Bo Jackson.  Freakiest athlete I ever saw.  Sub 4.2 speed at the combine (yes I know 4.12 is disputed but anyone that saw him run knows he was at least DMAC fast).  Barring that hip injury, who knows how good he could have been.

PonderinHog

For those of you that didn't pick Bo, you don't know Diddley.

justmaybe

I'd vote for Earl because I grew up watching him decimate the hogs. It would just be a pleasure to see him in the same uniform.

staffhog

Everyone listed is a "straight ahead power runner with the excdeption of Mr Sanders.

However for our offense under CBB, it would be Earl Campbell.  In his prime you simply couldn't stop him in the power game.   Bo and Herschel had the luxury of added space to hit outside as opposed to Earl being the tip of a hard rock auger.

urkillnmesmalls

Quote from: staffhog on May 29, 2015, 11:13:38 pm
Everyone listed is a "straight ahead power runner with the excdeption of Mr Sanders.

However for our offense under CBB, it would be Earl Campbell.  In his prime you simply couldn't stop him in the power game.   Bo and Herschel had the luxury of added space to hit outside as opposed to Earl being the tip of a hard rock auger.

Mr. Staff, you are grossly underestimating the pessimism by some here on Hogville.  Your pay attentioner is broken, or that Falstaff has finally turned on you. 

I've seen it right here on this very discussion board that one Mr. Alex Collins is not a complete back, because he gets caught from behind.  The first time EC trucked two guys at the LOS, and then got drug down from behind by a corner or safety 20 yards downfield, we'd have whiners saying he isn't fast enough.  Never mind turning a 1 yard gain into 20, he couldn't outrun everyone on the field so he stinks.   

Meanwhile, I've seen AC pop through the line and be face on with a LB, AC goes left, and the LB goes right, jock meet field turf.  He turns what a "normal back" gets 2.5 yards out of into 15, but some fans freak out because someone had the angle on him and drug him down.  What about the 12 extra yards he got for elite vision and ability to change direction?

I would have to look it up, but I think both he and JWill are very close on YPC, and total yards.  Yet you don't hear anything about weaknesses from JWill.  How does AC manage to accomplish that feat with these alleged weaknesses.  "Not fast enough."  "Not a power runner."  Well..he's doing SOMETHING right.   

I think it could be EASILY argued that our 1-2 punch together would be more productive under CBB than any single one of those guys in today's game.  That would be a good poll too.  Would you rather have our 1-2 combo, or any of the guys on that list...but you can just have one of them? 

We have two of the best backs in the country this upcoming season, and we're lucky to have them.  I just want the guys we have to stay healthy and that will mean great things for us. 
I've never wanted a Hog coach to be successful more than I do for Pittman.  He's one of the good guys.

DLUXHOG

"Don't go in anyplace you'd be ashamed to die in..."
(you might get this someday)

DOGALUM

I'm as big of a Bo Jackson fan as you are likely to find......my favorite athlete EVER. 

But Barry Sanders is the greatest running back to ever play the game of football. 

/thread
A man who wouldn't cheat for a poke, don't want one bad enough!

Torqued pork

hawkhawg

If you pick Bo you get him on the Baseball team, too.

LZH

Earl Campbell was my all-time favorite (he and 'Sweetness'), and I still tell my (uninterested, mostly) daughter and her football-playing friends how much of a beast Bo was.  But Barry Sanders was ridiculous....can you imagine being in the open field with this guy and it's just you between him and the endzone?  I voted Barry.

hawkhawg

Felix averaged more yards per carry than all those guys.

LZH

Quote from: hawkhawg on May 30, 2015, 01:45:13 pm
Felix averaged more yards per carry than all those guys.

My juvenile delinquent can beat up your honor student.

hawkhawg

Quote from: LZH on May 30, 2015, 01:31:47 pm
Earl Campbell was my all-time favorite (he and 'Sweetness'), and I still tell my (uninterested, mostly) daughter and her football-playing friends how much of a beast Bo was.  But Barry Sanders was ridiculous....can you imagine being in the open field with this guy and it's just you between him and the endzone?  I voted Barry.

Actually I think if I was in the open field and I was the only thing between these guys and a touchdown, Barry would be the one I would pick.  At least you know Barry is going to go around you.  Bo, Hershel, and Earl would go through you.   

LZH

Quote from: hawkhawg on May 30, 2015, 01:52:58 pm
Actually I think if I was in the open field and I was the only thing between these guys and a touchdown, Barry would be the one I would pick.  At least you know Barry is going to go around you.  Bo, Hershel, and Earl would go through you.   

Yeah, but maybe as I went down, they might step on me and trip or something  ;).  Sanders?......you'd have to have some quicks to get a hand on him.

HiggiePiggy

May 30, 2015, 09:36:40 pm #48 Last Edit: May 30, 2015, 09:47:47 pm by HiggiePiggy
Quote from: sevenof400 on May 30, 2015, 07:24:16 pm
The problem with Sanders is he was a drive killer - yes he might spring a 60 yard special run at some point in a game but in constantly trying to make something special from nothing (and failing to put his shoulders down and grind out positive yardage on more carries), the Lions kept their punter plenty busy. 

Sanders doesn't belong in this conversation at all. 

He was the only reason the lions made the playoffs.  The guy averaged over 1500 yards a year on the ground.  Over 15k yards rushing in his career.  His early retirement is the only reason Emmitt smith passed him.   Guy does belong in this conversation.   

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barry_Sanders

Go down to his record stats and look at that and tell me he doesn't belong in the conversation.  Don't forget what he did in college is by far better than any other back mentioned on this list. 
If a man speaks and no woman is around to hear him, is he still wrong?

BigPapaHawg

WOO PIG