Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Texas A&M is a golden opportunity

Started by HeathWimp, June 03, 2017, 10:28:07 am

Previous topic - Next topic

HeathWimp

A&M has been a source of frustration for us over the last few years, but I think we have a golden opportunity with the Aggies this year - not just to jump-start the 2017 campaign, but to help our competitive position for the next few years.

For all of his success in recruiting, Sumlin has not done much on the field, and is on the hot seat going into the season.  I think they have gone something like 8-5 for 4 straight years, and they have closed out those years with an end-of-season collapse. 
If we were to knock the Aggies off this year, we would be in great shape heading into the meat of our schedule.  More importantly, that might actually get Sumlin fired.  I could totally see the Aggies taking a play out of the LSU book, and firing him mid-season after what they view as a "bad loss." 

With all of the money and resources A&M has, they think they are an elite program, and should be winning 10 games a year.  They probably think they could replace Sumlin with the "next great thing," and be instantly competitive.  They might land a good coach, but it is going to take time for them to rebuild to the point that they are competitive in the SEC.  We are on the rise with CBB, and could take advantage of the rebuild in College Station for several years as we try to move into the next tier of the SEC.

Winning the 2017 game would give us confidence for the remainder of the 2017 schedule, but more importantly, could push Aggie down into "Ole Miss" irrelevance.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this game - it could be huge for us!
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

flagstaffhog

Go HOGS Go!

Al Boarland

Quote from: HeathWimp on June 03, 2017, 10:28:07 am
A&M has been a source of frustration for us over the last few years, but I think we have a golden opportunity with the Aggies this year - not just to jump-start the 2017 campaign, but to help our competitive position for the next few years.

For all of his success in recruiting, Sumlin has not done much on the field, and is on the hot seat going into the season.  I think they have gone something like 8-5 for 4 straight years, and they have closed out those years with an end-of-season collapse. 
If we were to knock the Aggies off this year, we would be in great shape heading into the meat of our schedule.  More importantly, that might actually get Sumlin fired.  I could totally see the Aggies taking a play out of the LSU book, and firing him mid-season after what they view as a "bad loss." 

With all of the money and resources A&M has, they think they are an elite program, and should be winning 10 games a year.  They probably think they could replace Sumlin with the "next great thing," and be instantly competitive.  They might land a good coach, but it is going to take time for them to rebuild to the point that they are competitive in the SEC.  We are on the rise with CBB, and could take advantage of the rebuild in College Station for several years as we try to move into the next tier of the SEC.

Winning the 2017 game would give us confidence for the remainder of the 2017 schedule, but more importantly, could push Aggie down into "Ole Miss" irrelevance.  I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this game - it could be huge for us!
They win 8 games and the coach will get fired. We win 8 and it will be considered a solid season.

That's some perspective for you.

LZH

We will beat A&M this year. We may screw up a half-dozen other games...but we're due.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: LZH on June 03, 2017, 11:09:12 am
We will beat A&M this year. We may screw up a half-dozen other games...but we're due.

I hope so. Half a decade is too long, and the fact that we haven't won since 2011 is almost too much to bear. This is the game I want to win the most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas%E2%80%93Texas_A%26M_football_rivalry

goodguytex

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 03, 2017, 11:26:08 am
I hope so. Half a decade is too long, and the fact that we haven't won since 2011 is almost too much to bear. This is the game I want to win the most.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Arkansas%E2%80%93Texas_A%26M_football_rivalry
That game and auburn are the 2 I want to win the most.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 03, 2017, 10:55:45 am
According to a couple of stories published recently, A&M may be interested in Chip Kelly as their next coach.  Say what you will about Kelly but clearly he would be an improvement over Sumlin. 

The thing that sucks is that they have all the pieces to be a dominant program. (recruiting, big $$ boosters, largest SEC student base, etc.)

If they were able to stumble on a competent coach, I am afraid of what they might do. They might be contending with Bama every year in the West.

texas tush hog

Quote from: goodguytex on June 03, 2017, 11:28:31 am
That game and auburn are the 2 I want to win the most.

Bama is my top priority, but A&M and Auburn are close seconds.

247Hog

I've been pretty optimistic regarding football and our staff...but if we lose to A&M again this year...it might officially move me to the dark side.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

1highhog

Quote from: 247Hog on June 03, 2017, 12:07:26 pm
I've been pretty optimistic regarding football and our staff...but if we lose to A&M again this year...it might officially move me to the dark side.

Same here, if we lose again to the Aggies I'm officially moving to the darksiders, that is what the ones that want Bielema fired like the first year he was hired are called right?

jgphillips3

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 03, 2017, 11:06:08 am
They win 8 games and the coach will get fired. We win 8 and it will be considered a solid season.

That's some perspective for you.

Damn...that is sad but true.  But if Bielema had 4 straight top 15 recruiting classes and kept collapsing every year at the end, he would be fired too.  Well, once we owe him less than the GDP of Uruguay.

Quote from: texas tush hog on June 03, 2017, 11:58:29 am
Bama is my top priority, but A&M and Auburn are close seconds.

I agree.  Beating Bama is priority number one.  However, we are watching a dynasty unlike almost any other in the history of college football so I don't feel bad if we lose to them.  Losing to A&M 5 straight times when we have outplayed them 4 of those 5 only to collapse...yeah...they are absolutely my number two on the wish list.  I don't even care about Auburn or the rest.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: 247Hog on June 03, 2017, 12:07:26 pm

Last year we gave up 591 yards to A&M on 59 plays. They acquired 504 of those yards on just 16 plays. Cut the big plays in half by playing better defense this year and we will win.

Of course we have improvements to make on offense as well and we cannot repeat the missed opportunities that we had last year like these:

At 9:27 of 2nd Qtr                1st and Goal at A&M 9 yard line, 8 yard run to 1 yard line, fumble the ball away.
At about 3:30 of the 3rd Qtr   On a drive that started at our own 5, 1st and Goal at A&M 2 Yard line. 1 yard run, QB sneak for no gain, QB Sneak for no gain, run for loss of 5.
At about 3:00 of the 4th Qtr   1st and 10 at A&M 11, 2 yard reception, Incomplete, Incomplete, Incomplete.

Even with all of the big plays that we allowed last year in a 45-24 loss, we left 21 points on the field that would have once again, brought us to an OT game.

Take away just 1/3 of the big plays and cash-in on the opportunities that we had, and we would have won last year.

I expect Paul Rhoads defense to provide us with that opportunity this coming season.
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 03, 2017, 11:55:59 am
I agree with you emphatically here.  How in the world can A&M have so many things right and fail throughout the majority of its history to get the right coach?  I guess that's why we have Aggie jokes!

To be fair, they haven't historically had a lot of those things. For instance, their recruiting upswing of the last several years has coincided with Texas being awful.

bphi11ips

Yep.  A&M's longest winning streak against Arkansas is six, and that ended in 1943.  Since then Arkansas has had winning streaks of 9, 6 and 6.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

LRRandy

According to a couple of stories published recently, A&M may be interested in Chip Kelly as their next coach.  Say what you will about Kelly but clearly he would be an improvement over Sumlin.
that would be an interesting experiment to watch. With a d coordinator like Chavis ( should he remain) to potentially keep the defense strong, how would Kelly's offensive system work in the sec? Might be fun to watch.
This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on June 03, 2017, 03:32:09 pm
that would be an interesting experiment to watch. With a d coordinator like Chavis ( should he remain) to potentially keep the defense strong, how would Kelly's offensive system work in the sec? Might be fun to watch.

I have to admit, that would be an interesting experiment. And I am not sure that having Chavis would be an issue for him from a defensive standpoint. Kelly liked to have a pretty good defense when he was at Oregon.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: LRRandy on June 03, 2017, 03:32:09 pm

Kelly's offense would work fine in any conference. 
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

247Hog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 01:18:13 pm
Last year we gave up 591 yards to A&M on 59 plays. They acquired 504 of those yards on just 16 plays. Cut the big plays in half by playing better defense this year and we will win.

Of course we have improvements to make on offense as well and we cannot repeat the missed opportunities that we had last year like these:

At 9:27 of 2nd Qtr                1st and Goal at A&M 9 yard line, 8 yard run to 1 yard line, fumble the ball away.
At about 3:30 of the 3rd Qtr   On a drive that started at our own 5, 1st and Goal at A&M 2 Yard line. 1 yard run, QB sneak for no gain, QB Sneak for no gain, run for loss of 5.
At about 3:00 of the 4th Qtr   1st and 10 at A&M 11, 2 yard reception, Incomplete, Incomplete, Incomplete.

Even with all of the big plays that we allowed last year in a 45-24 loss, we left 21 points on the field that would have once again, brought us to an OT game.

Take away just 1/3 of the big plays and cash-in on the opportunities that we had, and we would have won last year.

I expect Paul Rhoads defense to provide us with that opportunity this coming season.

Exactly...we should have won those games and our defense SHOULD be improved over the last game. Combine that with the bye week, added focus due to losing several years in a row, makes me think if we can't get it done this year, it might be more of a coaching issue which would probably tilt to the dark.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

247Hog

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 03, 2017, 05:00:00 pm
Kelly's offense would work fine in any conference.

I see Kelly as CBP 2.0

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 04:52:37 pm
I have to admit, that would be an interesting experiment. And I am not sure that having Chavis would be an issue for him from a defensive standpoint. Kelly liked to have a pretty good defense when he was at Oregon.
yeah, keeping Chavis would be a plus.
This is fun, isn't it.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: 247Hog on June 03, 2017, 05:07:06 pm
I see Kelly as CBP 2.0

I actually like BP's offense over Kelly's.  I wouldn't want to see BP at a big boy SEC program.  Fortunately, his personality has seen that it hasn't happened.  Hopefully that doesn't change.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

rhames

It's been more like a golden shower the last few years.
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 03, 2017, 05:11:05 pm
I actually like BP's offense over Kelly's.  I wouldn't want to see BP at a big boy SEC program.  Fortunately, his personality has seen that it hasn't happened.  Hopefully that doesn't change.

BP's is a game plan that he calls as the game unfolds and he takes advantage of what the defense gives him. His is a more analytical, traditional OC, kind of game. A good DC can out-scheme him.

Kelly's offense is one that is more like Clemson's was vs. Alabama in the CG in January. Not necessarily better or better athletes than the other team, but a war of attrition through more and more pass and run plays (short, short, long, short, short, long) that wears the opponent down over time, giving his better conditioned athletes a chance to make big plays when the defense tires.
Go Hogs Go!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: rhames on June 03, 2017, 05:22:02 pm

I'm not sure that I am qualified to either endorse or not endorse that statement. Sounds as if you are more qualified, and I am indeed sorry to say that for you. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

Quote from: rhames on June 03, 2017, 05:22:02 pm

From what I hear, most Aggies love a good golden shower.

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 05:29:10 pm
BP's is a game plan that he calls as the game unfolds and he takes advantage of what the defense gives him. His is a more analytical, traditional OC, kind of game. A good DC can out-scheme him.

Kelly's offense is one that is more like Clemson's was vs. Alabama in the CG in January. Not necessarily better or better athletes than the other team, but a war of attrition through more and more pass and run plays (short, short, long, short, short, long) that wears the oppo

nent down over time, giving his better conditioned athletes a chance to make big plays when the defense tires.

Agree.  Didn't mean to imply one was better than the other.  Just that I like watching one over the other.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on June 03, 2017, 06:32:27 pm
Agree.  Didn't mean to imply one was better than the other.  Just that I like watching one over the other.

Both are impressive. Don't think that I wasn't right there pulling for the Hogs when BP was the HC, I was. But the same can be accomplished by Enos. I think he is that good, even if not with as many years of experience as BP. Just wish he were in the box so he could see everything, but then he couldn't work directly with the QB's (like Petrino) when they come off the field.
Go Hogs Go!

Bubba's Bruisers

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 06:47:19 pm
Both are impressive. Don't think that I wasn't right there pulling for the Hogs when BP was the HC, I was. But the same can be accomplished by Enos. I think he is that good, even if not with as many years of experience as BP. Just wish he were in the box so he could see everything, but then he couldn't work directly with the QB's (like Petrino) when they come off the field.

Well, I didn't realize Enos was added to the comparison.  But now that he apparently is, there's a huge problem with Enos.  He's not the HC, so his longevity with the program is much more tenable.  He likely isn't around much longer.  Would be very surprised if he's back in 2018.  If not, will be very difficult to replace.  Expect a step back.

DeltaBoy

I am past tired of giving games away to Bama , Arbarn and TAMU we really need to win 2 out of Three this year to show this staff making progress!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

Darren DeLoach

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 03, 2017, 11:55:59 am
I agree with you emphatically here.  How in the world can A&M have so many things right and fail throughout the majority of its history to get the right coach?  I guess that's why we have Aggie jokes!

Aggies gonna Aggies. Always have and always will.
ο λογος υμων παντοτε εν χαριτι αλατι ηρτυμενος ειδεναι πως δει υμας ενι εκαστω αποκρινεσθαι

NuttinItUp

Quote from: Darren DeLoach (semohawg) on June 03, 2017, 09:06:53 pm
Aggies gonna Aggies. Always have and always will.

Wish they'd Aggie a little more when they play us.

oldbooniehog

Al Boarland

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 03, 2017, 05:29:10 pm

Kelly's offense is one that is more like Clemson's was vs. Alabama in the CG in January. Not necessarily better or better athletes than the other team, but a war of attrition through more and more pass and run plays (short, short, long, short, short, long) that wears the opponent down over time, giving his better conditioned athletes a chance to make big plays when the defense tires.

This is true, but a lot of the things Kelly was doing to give him a competitive advantage programs across the country are doing now. For example, hydration tracking and other nutritional monitoring. As far as his system goes it's like everything else. More times than not the more talented team wins.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 04, 2017, 06:48:02 am
This is true, but a lot of the things Kelly was doing to give him a competitive advantage programs across the country are doing now. For example, hydration tracking and other nutritional monitoring. As far as his system goes it's like everything else. More times than not the more talented team wins.

I know that statement seems logical and all but too often we have seen the teams with "HUNH, go, go, go, stress the opponents defense with speed of play", type of teams that often are less talented, beat more talented teams.

As a recent example, I do not believe that Clemson was more talented than Alabama but, going into the NCG, they were better conditioned than Alabama. Clemson ran 99 plays (to Alabama's 66) in that game and wore down the Alabama defense. To further illustrate that point Clemson had just 5 plays for more than 10 yards in the first half. As Alabama began to wear down, Clemson reeled off 14 plays of more than 10 yards in the 2nd half.

Even with all of that it took a 68 yard, 10 play drive in the final 2 minutes of the game to beat Alabama. You don't see that happen very often but you do see more talented teams get beaten by less talented teams when they are able to wear them down.

Although I don't harbor any love for the faster style of offense I will say that it does tend to be an equalizer against more talented teams that want to pound the life out of you.
Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

It'll be a bidding war between them and Ole Miss
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

nchogg

I said I would not predict how many wins we have this year but we will dismantle A&M. It's time to get that monkey off our back.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: nchogg on June 04, 2017, 04:13:39 pm
I said I would not predict how many wins we have this year but we will dismantle A&M. It's time to get that monkey off our back.  :razorback: :razorback: :razorback:

It is probably easier to say that we are going to just "do it" rather than actually getting it done. Truthfully, we probably should have beaten them in 2013 but we certainly should have won in 2014 and 2015 and last year, in terms of having a well planned and executed defensive scheme, our DC just didn't show up. There was no reason to get beaten last season but on defense, we just had mismatches in coverage and mis-alignments that handed A&M the game. And on offense we somehow managed to squander 3 TD opportunities inside their 11 yard line.

It isn't as if they are unbeatable.

This year they return a lot of players and experience.

They lose their QB and all but 1 of their big play WR's. TE's aren't much of a factor in their offense. They return all of their RB's. They return the middle of their O-Line but they lose both OT's.

On defense they lose a starting DT and both starters at DE but they return a lot of 2nd line experience. They lose 1 starting LB and in the Secondary, their starting SS.

Other than that, they are in pretty good shape with what they have coming back.

We just need to take advantage of the opportunities that we have on offense and limit the big plays that we hand them. Keep in mind that they ran just 59 plays last year for 591 yards, but they gained 504 of those yards on just 16 plays.

If we play ball as we are capable of playing, we can win. Hand them big plays and we will probably lose.
Go Hogs Go!

nchogg

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 04, 2017, 06:14:17 pm
It is probably easier to say that we are going to just "do it" rather than actually getting it done. Truthfully, we probably should have beaten them in 2013 but we certainly should have won in 2014 and 2015 and last year, in terms of having a well planned and executed defensive scheme, our DC just didn't show up. There was no reason to get beaten last season but on defense, we just had mismatches in coverage and mis-alignments that handed A&M the game. And on offense we somehow managed to squander 3 TD opportunities inside their 11 yard line.

It isn't as if they are unbeatable.
I feel our defense will be very salty for that game. Coach R will turn our defense at times. We get pressure on their QB and it's a different story.

This year they return a lot of players and experience.

They lose their QB and all but 1 of their big play WR's. TE's aren't much of a factor in their offense. They return all of their RB's. They return the middle of their O-Line but they lose both OT's.

On defense they lose a starting DT and both starters at DE but they return a lot of 2nd line experience. They lose 1 starting LB and in the Secondary, their starting SS.

Other than that, they are in pretty good shape with what they have coming back.

We just need to take advantage of the opportunities that we have on offense and limit the big plays that we hand them. Keep in mind that they ran just 59 plays last year for 591 yards, but they gained 504 of those yards on just 16 plays.

If we play ball as we are capable of playing, we can win. Hand them big plays and we will probably lose.

HeathWimp

I had not heard about possible interest by Chip Kelly, but I could see that.

Still, I think turning over their staff would be disruptive.  Even with a proven coach like Kelly, they could be off their groove for several years.   Which could really help us, especially if Ole Miss is also rebuilding after a coaching change. 
11/19/2023:  Keeping my original semi-prophetic, apocalyptic signature below.  We continue to regret passing on Norvell, who is in the running for the Playoffs.  We continue regret passing on Kiffin, who is eyeing a New Years 6 game.  Heck, we regret passing on Drinkwitz (he may be a dork, but he will have his team in a New Years 6 game after they truck us on Black Friday).

Meanwhile, Sam is drinking Pittman, wondering if he has the leverage to re-hire Enos, Sexton is doing the triple Lindy into his Olympic-size pool full of cash, and thousands of hog fans are planning to dress up as empty seats for next year's Halloween game.

11/25/2018:  My original "Chad Morris" signature is below.  I'm modifying my view as follows:  We will continue to regret passing on Norvell and Kiffin.   After 3 years, when Morris is 10-26, we are going to be saying "What were we thinking?  Even Bert was better than this!"

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: HeathWimp on June 05, 2017, 05:10:13 pm
I had not heard about possible interest by Chip Kelly, but I could see that.

Still, I think turning over their staff would be disruptive.  Even with a proven coach like Kelly, they could be off their groove for several years.   Which could really help us, especially if Ole Miss is also rebuilding after a coaching change. 

Just because they change HC's doesn't mean that after an evaluation, half or more wouldn't be retained. That would help insure some degree of continuity. I can't believe he would get rid of the DC (Chavis) and he would probably be given options to retain most of his staff.

I cringe to think what Kelly (who would be his own OC) and the marriage with Chavis on defense, might produce. Probably better than with Sumlin.
Go Hogs Go!

Hoggish1

We will beat aTm and won't screw up half a dozen games.

LZH

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 05, 2017, 05:14:47 pm
I cringe to think what Kelly (who would be his own OC) and the marriage with Chavis on defense, might produce. Probably better than with Sumlin.

Me too. Of course, I was pretty confident that Sumlin was the guy. But if he were, he would have done more by now.

ChicoHog

Kelly was only a HC for 4 years at Oregon with their perfect storm of USC and UW being down, Nike money and trendy uniforms. He got out just in time under a recruiting scandal.  I'm not convinced he is that great a coach.  I think he is a really good offensive mind but a little too arrogant, poor people skills and not a good guy to work for.  Very similar to Petrino personality wise but at least BP has proved it over the long haul.  Kelly is a little gimmicky also.  I have no issue if he goes to A&M. 

Boss Hog in the Arkansas

Quote from: HeathWimp on June 03, 2017, 10:28:07 am

With their resources and recruiting classes, they SHOULD be winning 10 games a year. That's why sumlin is on the hot seat.
That's right, you don't want to be the man to replace the man.  You want to be the man to replace Rory Segrest.

hoghearted

Been saying that about 'Bama for almost 10 years now, but it hasn't happened yet.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

redleg

We should beat A&M this year. But my main priority is to continue winning streaks over Miss St and Ole Miss, get back at LSU and Auburn, and finally beat Alabama after losing to those arrogant jerks for a solid decade!  >:(
I honestly do not see a W against Bama as long as Saban is there.  :(
But I do believe that Lsu and Auburn are both overrated...again.
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.

Al Boarland

Quote from: redleg on June 12, 2017, 01:34:56 pm
We should beat A&M this year. But my main priority is to continue winning streaks over Miss St and Ole Miss, get back at LSU and Auburn, and finally beat Alabama after losing to those arrogant jerks for a solid decade!  >:(
I honestly do not see a W against Bama as long as Saban is there.  :(
But I do believe that Lsu and Auburn are both overrated...again.

Who do you think is the second best team in the SEC?

redleg

Quote from: Al Boarland on June 12, 2017, 09:22:03 pm
Who do you think is the second best team in the SEC?
In 2017? Whomever wins the East. Georgia maybe.
Auburn always seems to be overrated in the pre-season. All of the AP folks love the Gus Bus. But other than his first year in 2013, when he was coaching his and Chizik's leftovers, his teams have under-produced.
LSU is loaded with good talent, but they did lose a lot off of last year's team. Most importantly to me, while Ed "rajin cajin" Orgeron is a great recruiter and a great defensive coach, he has not proven to be a very good head coach. He recruited some excellent players to Ole Miss, but couldn't coach them. Maybe time has improved his head coaching ability, but I'm inclined to think not.
Freeze is a cheater.
Sumlin has done less with more, and unless the Aggies win ten games, he's gone...and I think he's gone!
Dan Mullen is the anomaly to me. He's a very good head coach, but he won't ever win an SEC championship at Miss St. Two years ago when they reached #1 was a fluke. He would be better served by leaving for a higher profile position at say, Oklahoma, or Iowa, or Notre Dame, should any of those jobs open up soon.
Just my opinion.  ;D
If it ain't broke, fix it till it is.