Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Auburn AD Jay Jacobs makes it clear he wants the Tigers in the SEC East

Started by MuskogeeHogFan, June 01, 2017, 06:40:09 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Birminghog

Quote from: Hog Fan...DOH! on June 01, 2017, 08:15:18 am
Bama doesn't "need" to play Tennessee every year.  And if AU does swap with Mizzou, you can expect Florida and UGA to get really good.  Screw Auburn.

Never underestimate the importance of the "3rd Saturday in October" to the Bama faithful.

Pork-n-Boots

It does make sense geographically, but nobody in the East, with the possible exception of Mizzou, would agree to this move. Trading Mizzou for Auburn doesn't help the likes of UF, UGA, UT, USCe, UK and Vandy. Its makes the division tougher. Coupled that with Alabama voting no, you have seven no votes which vetoes the move. it will NEVER happen unless the league grows to 16 teams. If OU and OSU were added, Mizzou moves west and Bama and Auburn go to the SEC East.

King Kong

Quote from: Pork-n-Boots on June 01, 2017, 04:22:42 pm
It does make sense geographically, but nobody in the East, with the possible exception of Mizzou, would agree to this move. Trading Mizzou for Auburn doesn't help the likes of UF, UGA, UT, USCe, UK and Vandy. Its makes the division tougher. Coupled that with Alabama voting no, you have seven no votes which vetoes the move. it will NEVER happen unless the league grows to 16 teams. If OU and OSU were added, Mizzou moves west and Bama and Auburn go to the SEC East.

UGA plays Auburn every year and it is the oldest rivalry in the south. Doubt they would vote no as it would just level the playing field in the East in their mind. Bama could careless about Auburn in the East. There only hang up would be if it prevents them from playing UT every year

j-mann

this will happen  in 2024   the big 12 will go away   

here is what i think happens  to all b12 members   

OKIE OKIE ST SEC   
TEX P12 OR INDY   
WVU ACC or AAC 
Kansas B 10  or p 12 
TCU  AAC
BAY AAC 
IOWA ST AAC or MWEST maybe B10  if NEB IOWA get their way 
Kansas st AAC OR Mwest 
T Tech MWEST  or pac12  if  TEXAS wants it   

c football will go to 4 16 team conf   
if ND and TEX are made to go in a conf   ND = ACC  TEX B Ten  because they are a AAU School 

SEC Okle Okle st
B 10 Kansas Tex 
ACC ND WVU
P 12   San Diego st UNLV   South Fla  Cent Fla   why the last 2  well Tex  will try and call shots from day 1  BYU will make school like CAL STAN unconformable and u add 4 major citys  San diego  Vagas  orl  tampa     
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

GoHogs1091

Quote from: 311Hog on June 01, 2017, 10:39:19 am
while this is true, they are making the rest of the conference bend over backwards in order to keep their wishes.  When Missou and A&M came into the league, Auburn should have gone east right then and there, but we all know why they didn't.  Bc Iron Bowl bc Tenner/Bama. Now teams and students are forced to blow more $$$ than they would normally have to, to travel farther than they should.  I mean Missou has to go to the east coast almost every game.

It doesn't make sense by any metric except that Bama gets what bama wants.

Well, when you are the only elite football program and you prop up the rest of what is purported to be a football conference, you tend to get a lot of what you want.

The SEC can basically be summed up as the following.

The 1 elite (Alabama) and the 13 wannabees.

What makes that aspect more bitter for us is that we are trying to overcome a tradition that was primarily created by an Arkansan from Fordyce (Paul Bryant).

PorkRinds

Quote from: j-mann on June 01, 2017, 08:54:09 pm
this will happen  in 2024   the big 12 will go away   

here is what i think happens  to all b12 members   

OKIE OKIE ST SEC   
TEX P12 OR INDY   
WVU ACC or AAC 
Kansas B 10  or p 12 
TCU  AAC
BAY AAC 
IOWA ST AAC or MWEST maybe B10  if NEB IOWA get their way 
Kansas st AAC OR Mwest 
T Tech MWEST  or pac12  if  TEXAS wants it   

c football will go to 4 16 team conf   
if ND and TEX are made to go in a conf   ND = ACC  TEX B Ten  because they are a AAU School 

SEC Okle Okle st
B 10 Kansas Tex 
ACC ND WVU
P 12   San Diego st UNLV   South Fla  Cent Fla   why the last 2  well Tex  will try and call shots from day 1  BYU will make school like CAL STAN unconformable and u add 4 major citys  San diego  Vagas  orl  tampa     

You may be right but I have no way of knowing because I have no clue what you just said.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: rljjr on June 01, 2017, 07:06:41 am
What does Alabama want? That's what will happen.

Bama doesn't want the change....Barner is their beetch.
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on June 01, 2017, 09:15:44 pm
Well, when you are the only elite football program and you prop up the rest of what is purported to be a football conference, you tend to get a lot of what you want.

The SEC can basically be summed up as the following.

The 1 elite (Alabama) and the 13 wannabees.

What makes that aspect more bitter for us is that we are trying to overcome a tradition that was primarily created by an Arkansan from Fordyce (Paul Bryant).

Since 1998 UT, Auburn, LSU, FL and Bama have all won National Titles. No other conference has more than 2 teams.

Your statement is incorrect

LRRandy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 01, 2017, 10:02:52 pm
Since 1998 UT, Auburn, LSU, FL and Bama have all won National Titles. No other conference has more than 2 teams.

Your statement is incorrect
nearly 20 years. Ancient history is on your side. For the last few years however,  the statement is accurate.
This is fun, isn't it.

King Kong

Quote from: LRRandy on June 01, 2017, 10:11:29 pm
nearly 20 years. Ancient history is on your side. For the last few years however,  the statement is accurate.

FL, Bama, LSU and Auburn have all been in a NC game in the last 10 years. Newsflash only one team from every conference wins each year.

Yet the SEC continues to the conference with the largest number of different teams in those game and with wins for the National Title. Bama is the best of those programs, being on the most elite run in College Football history. But this SEC is weak stuff is completely inaccurate

LRRandy

Quote from: King Kong on June 01, 2017, 10:27:57 pm
FL, Bama, LSU and Auburn have all been in a NC game in the last year. Newsflash only one team from every conference wins each year.

Yet the SEC continues to the conference with the largest number of different teams in those game and with wins for the National Title. Bama is the best of those programs, being on the most elite run in College Football history. But this SEC is weak stuff is completely inaccurate
it's 5:00 somewhere foster brooks.
This is fun, isn't it.

hawganatic

Quote from: King Kong on June 01, 2017, 10:27:57 pm
FL, Bama, LSU and Auburn have all been in a NC game in the last 10 years. Newsflash only one team from every conference wins each year.

All that means is the conference is top heavy.  You get down past the third or fourth team and it starts getting pretty ugly.

TheGrove68

If they wanted to do it now and keep the rivalry's then Swap Vandy and Mizzou for Auburn and Bama.....Then you keep all the rivalries with IronBowl and Tenn. Bama cross division rival could be LSU. It would really make the East top heavy but it would solve the issue of can't realign because of old school rivalry's.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

LZH

Quote from: sevenof400 on June 01, 2017, 03:59:06 pm
I can see it now - LZH is going to accuse me of being a bad influence on others!

Dang right....somebody's gotta take the blame.

Hawghiggs

Quote from: TheGrove68 on June 02, 2017, 03:56:02 am
If they wanted to do it now and keep the rivalry's then Swap Vandy and Mizzou for Auburn and Bama.....Then you keep all the rivalries with IronBowl and Tenn. Bama cross division rival could be LSU. It would really make the East top heavy but it would solve the issue of can't realign because of old school rivalry's.

I've posted a similar statement. Except Mississippi state instead of LSU.

HOGINTENNESSEE

Quote from: hawganatic on June 02, 2017, 12:13:03 am
All that means is the conference is top heavy.  You get down past the third or fourth team and it starts getting pretty ugly.

In that same time frame UGA, Arkansas, Miss State, Ole Piss and South Carolina have all had atleast one 10 wins season.

Heck even Vandy had a 9 wins season

LRRandy

Quote from: HOGINTENNESSEE on June 02, 2017, 06:36:27 am
In that same time frame UGA, Arkansas, Miss State, Ole Piss and South Carolina have all had atleast one 10 wins season.

Heck even Vandy had a 9 wins season
like the song goes " those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end". It has ended. One team. Playing for anything meaningful. Embrace the new sec.
This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on June 02, 2017, 09:03:38 am
like the song goes " those were the days my friend, I thought they'd never end". It has ended. One team. Playing for anything meaningful. Embrace the new sec.

It isn't over. Alabama sits at the top right now and Saban has done a heckuva a job, but nothing stays the same.
Go Hogs Go!

TNhawgfan

If you played 3 easily beatable OOC teams, you would only have to win 3 of your 9 conference games to go bowling. If you can't win 3 of 9, your team is not worth bowling anyway
I'd rather be dead than be a Vol

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 02, 2017, 09:07:33 am
It isn't over. Alabama sits at the top right now and Saban has done a heckuva a job, but nothing stays the same.
well, it actually is over. Has been for a few years. During the golden era of sec football that has just passed the sec rolled over non conference teams in the early games, they placed multiple teams in the national championship game with 4 different teams winning a national title over that span. The league won the high profile BCS games. Beginning with the 2013 BCS games where the sec lost both games they played in, there has been one sec  team win a championship with no other team making the championship game. That is four seasons with only one team winning. Compare that to the seven national titles in a row by 4 different teams. Culminating with this past season where no team save Alabama won more than 8 games and the sec was below .500 for the bowl season. If that doesn't look like over to you then you might consider having your eyes checked. Or at the very least clean off those sec colored glasses and be a tad more objective. Is the sec still one of the toughest conferences? Of course. Does it dominate as it did during the golden era? Absolutely not.
This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on June 02, 2017, 09:29:22 am
well, it actually is over. Has been for a few years. During the golden era of sec football that has just passed the sec rolled over non conference teams in the early games, they placed multiple teams in the national championship game with 4 different teams winning a national title over that span. The league won the high profile BCS games. Beginning with the 2013 BCS games where the sec lost both games they played in, there has been one sec  team win a championship with no other team making the championship game. That is four seasons with only one team winning. Compare that to the seven national titles in a row by 4 different teams. Culminating with this past season where no team save Alabama won more than 8 games and the sec was below .500 for the bowl season. If that doesn't look like over to you then you might consider having your eyes checked. Or at the very least clean off those sec colored glasses and be a tad more objective. Is the sec still one of the toughest conferences? Of course. Does it dominate as it did during the golden era? Absolutely not.

You know, you need to stop posting things that are designed to just get a rise out of people on this board. They call that trolling and you are wearing out your welcome.
Go Hogs Go!

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 02, 2017, 09:33:09 am
You know, you need to stop posting things that are designed to just get a rise out of people on this board. They call that trolling and you are wearing out your welcome.
I see. Contradictory points of view are not welcomed. Even when the facts bear out those points of view.
This is fun, isn't it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LRRandy on June 02, 2017, 09:38:19 am
I see. Contradictory points of view are not welcomed. Even when the facts bear out those points of view.

That's not it and you know it.
Go Hogs Go!

LRRandy

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on June 02, 2017, 09:39:32 am
That's not it and you know it.
I posted the facts pointing to the run of dominance by the sec being over. It was in response to your assertion that it was not over. Is that not allowed? I didn't bash anyone. I suggested that you be a little more objective, is that what was wrong with my post?
This is fun, isn't it.

Wildhog

Quote from: LRRandy on June 02, 2017, 09:50:52 am
I posted the facts pointing to the run of dominance by the sec being over. It was in response to your assertion that it was not over. Is that not allowed? I didn't bash anyone. I suggested that you be a little more objective, is that what was wrong with my post?

We need that narrative to help with our recruiting.

So shut up.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

LRRandy

This is fun, isn't it.

uams1989

First of all, other than the geographical argument for Missouri, Auburn's argument about rivals is mostly BS. For the last 25 years, they've played the teams in the West every year (minus aTm).  They play UGA every year any way. I don't like the scheduling now where two schools don't play for 6 years but unless the conference goes to a 9 game schedule, there's no way to improve it.

AND JUST A REMINDER, Saban brought up going to a 9 game conference schedule two or three years ago. It was defeated in a vote 13 to 1, with the lone vote for being Bama. Interesting that the Awbs even voted against it but now they want to move.

Some are making Bama out to be the bad guy but why should Bama have to lose a huge game (TSIO) because the Awbs want an easier road to the SECCG?

The move will also heavily weight the East. It would make it easier for Bama and LSU, under current circumstances, to get to the SECCG. Move both Bama and Auburn and it really would be ridiculous, although it would probably help Arkansas.

It only takes 4 votes to kill the move and it only takes 4 votes to kill a 9 game conference schedule. It ain't happening folks.

I think this is actually Auburn just posturing to get their games with UGA and Bama changed so they're both not away in the same years.
"They got a name for the winners in the world...
They call Alabama the Crimson Tide..."

oldfart

Quote from: King Kong on June 01, 2017, 10:18:47 am
You are seriously underestimating the Bama/UT rivalry.

It means a great deal to both schools.

has been for years and years and years. .first college game i ever watched..

NuttinItUp

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 02, 2017, 03:36:35 pm
Makes sense.

The map now looks kind of awkward...

Yeah, let's push Alabama and Auburn to the East in trade for Missouri and Vandy. Seems fair. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

j-mann

my point Okle wants out of the big 12 and to a lesser extent so does UT   those 2 schools  drive  the big 12 

we are headed toward a 4 16 team conf  setup   unless the CFP  goes to 8 teams by 2024   
calling the hogs from Jonesboro    i have  cerebral  palsy  Rheumatoid arthritis   and Chronic Fatigue Syndrome   i cannot space  well  or spell well   but i still  love the hogs

Rzback

Geographically move Auburn and Bama to the East and Vandy and MO to the West

East:
Florida
Georgia
Tennessee
Auburn
South Carolina
Alabama
Kentucky

West:
Vandy
Arkansas  :razorback:
LSU
A&M
Mizzou
Ole Miss
Miss State
Winning Percentages (how times have changed!) Frank Broyles 71%  Lou Holtz  74%  Ken Hatfield 76%  Jack Crowe 38%  Joe Kines 35%  Danny Ford 47% Houston Nutt 61%  Bobby Petrino 67%  John L Smith  33%  Bret Bielema 46%  Chad Morris 14%  Sam Pittman 52%

Dumb ole famrboy

I find the following quote from the article somewhat odd.

"Most of all our students come from Georgia, Florida, Tennessee, South Carolina, Kentucky, a few from Mississippi, very few from Louisiana."

What about Alabama - do they have any students that come from there?

geauxhawgs

Missouri dang sure doesn't have to travel any more than Florida in the East. Mizzou is closer to Kentucky, Tennessee & Vandy. Their geography and demographics in the state put as many and possibly even more fans closer to SEC East schools than Florida fans and visa versa for the other schools fan bases.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: geauxhawgs on June 03, 2017, 10:43:22 am
Missouri dang sure doesn't have to travel any more than Florida in the East. Mizzou is closer to Kentucky, Tennessee & Vandy. Their geography and demographics in the state put as many and possibly even more fans closer to SEC East schools than Florida fans and visa versa for the other schools fan bases.

Even more of a reason for a realignment that sends Alabama and Auburn to the East and Missouri and Vandy to the West. I'm sure that while that will relieve any current angst that Florida suffers about travel expense, it will give them ulcers with regard to an increase in the competition level in the East.

As for Arkansas, I'd take that trade any day of the week.
Go Hogs Go!

geauxhawgs

Missouri and the bulk of their fanbase (STL) are closer to MORE universities in the SEC East than they are in the West. How does this continue to slide under the radar?? Lord people....their only 4 hours from Nashville and 5 from Lexington. Those are BOTH closer than ANY university for them in the West including Ole Miss & us.

In addition to that...Auburn is closer to MORE schools (not all) MORE in the West than they are in the East. This isn't rocket science y'all. Look up the distances and then factor in where the BULK of their fan base will be traveling to the away games from.

Wildhog

Quote from: geauxhawgs on June 03, 2017, 03:22:53 pm
Missouri and the bulk of their fanbase (STL) are closer to MORE universities in the SEC East than they are in the West. How does this continue to slide under the radar?? Lord people....their only 4 hours from Nashville and 5 from Lexington. Those are BOTH closer than ANY university for them in the West including Ole Miss & us. .

Per google:

Columbia to Lexington: 6 hrs 43 mins
Columbia to Nashville:  6 hrs 11 mins
Columbia to Fayetteville:  4 hrs 48 mins
Columbia to Oxford:  6 hrs 55 mins
Columbia to Knoxville:  8 hrs 43 mins
Columbia to Starkville:  8 hrs 17 mins

I was going to do more but I stopped caring.
1909/1964/1965/1977

geauxhawgs

Now run the numbers from STL...3 million people, all Mizzou fans vs Columbia 100,000.......No offense but not many people travel from towns like columbia, oxford, starkville, auburn, athens, etc...

Wildhog

Quote from: geauxhawgs on June 03, 2017, 03:46:20 pm
Now run the numbers from STL...3 million people, all Mizzou fans vs Columbia 100,000.......

Not even Missourians care about Mizzou football.  Just consider it a win for Arkansas, as we'd have another close game on a yearly basis.
1909/1964/1965/1977

MuskogeeHogFan

Now run the numbers from STL...3 million people, all Mizzou fans vs Columbia 100,000.......No offense but not many people travel from towns like columbia, oxford, starkville, auburn, athens, etc...

That really doesn't matter. What is the distance from Texas (Austin) to Kansas State or Kansas? Or Texas to W. Virginia?

Purely from a regional, geographical standpoint (not taking miles into consideration) putting Missouri and Vandy in the West and Alabama/Auburn in the East makes more sense than the way it is now. It's just difficult to break with tradition. But if they did that, Auburn and Alabama could easily schedule to keep their Iron Bowl and Alabama could maintain their match with Tennessee each year.
Go Hogs Go!

geauxhawgs

I'm not sure it makes as much sense as some tend to believe. A lot (when I say a lot, I mean pretty much only Auburn & the SEC West lol) have knee jerk reactions right now based on the success of Alabama IMO. Just don't understand what it would truly accomplish other than creating more news articles. I can PROMISE you Auburn won't leave for the East if they said "alight, we'll give y'all the East...but Bamas coming with ya." Back to the West boys!

LZH

Not many travel, period. If a visiting team brings 5,000 people, that's pretty damn good.

Fwiw, LR has more Hog fans than Fayetteville, so let's get into that.....GSD! GSD!

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: LZH on June 04, 2017, 07:37:01 am
Not many travel, period. If a visiting team brings 5,000 people, that's pretty damn good.

Fwiw, LR has more Hog fans than Fayetteville, so let's get into that.....GSD! GSD!

Stop it...don't go there. ;)
Go Hogs Go!

LZH

geauxhawgs

Quote from: LZH on June 04, 2017, 07:37:01 am

Completely agree 100%! That's another reason why I have a difficult time understanding the geography argument for Auburn to the East. What does it accomplish?

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: geauxhawgs on June 04, 2017, 07:57:08 am
Completely agree 100%! That's another reason why I have a difficult time understanding the geography argument for Auburn to the East. What does it accomplish?

No matter what they say, this isn't about geographical relevance for Auburn. But hey, that's fine. So let's just send both Alabama schools to the East.
Go Hogs Go!

NuttinItUp

I've always wondered why Missouri doesn't have a better sports program. The  state has twice the population base of Arkansas and only have one FBS school. (unlike states like Alabama & Mississippi which have a larger population but have to divide among more than one FBS school)

geauxhawgs

Quote from: NuttinItUp on June 04, 2017, 08:42:58 am
I've always wondered why Missouri doesn't have a better sports program. The  state has twice the population base of Arkansas and only have one FBS school. (unlike states like Alabama & Mississippi which have a larger population but have to divide among more than one FBS school)

Kansas city is Jayhawk country, as Lawrence is part of the KC metro so I think that takes a HUGE hit on their total population in terms of being Mizzou country ...If UK wasn't where it is, Mizzou athletics would be a lot better. Throw in all of the pro sports teams on top of the EXTREME cultural/geographical differences across the state and the reality is Mizzou is like a minor league team.