Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Ole Miss Update?

Started by hawgdawg63, May 31, 2017, 09:14:31 am

Previous topic - Next topic

hawgdawg63

Has anything new come out about the investigation of Ole Miss football? Seems to me since Freeze is still there Ole Miss feels comfortable that their self imposed bans will be enough. If the NCAA lets them off easy do you think the free pass to cheat will be for all to use?

I mean since SMU ( and I remember it well) no other team has had a player come out and say they got paid by a coach on national TV and players having pictures posted with weed in their position or having players jump out windows stoned. I mean if this doesn't show lack of control what would.

onebadrubi

While I'm all for hammering ole miss, you have to be careful saying the kids when home for a long weekend jumping out of hotel rooms stoned shows lack of control by the university. 

hawgdawg63

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 31, 2017, 09:19:12 am
While I'm all for hammering ole miss, you have to be careful saying the kids when home for a long weekend jumping out of hotel rooms stoned shows lack of control by the university.

You are right. However, just the total package of actions will come into play if and only if the NCAA wants to enforce the rules and keep the paying players some what under control. I just think certain schools can due what they want and others will get hammered and it will be business as usual for the NCAA. Ole Miss seems to be confident nothing major will happen because Freeze is still there...but I have been wrong before.

Psychohog

In the SEC cheatin' is just cheatin' but if you beat Alabama 2 years straight then somebody's going to have to stay after school....
Never smarten up a chump.

onebadrubi

Quote from: hawgdawg63 on May 31, 2017, 09:27:16 am
You are right. However, just the total package of actions will come into play if and only if the NCAA wants to enforce the rules and keep the paying players some what under control. I just think certain schools can due what they want and others will get hammered and it will be business as usual for the NCAA. Ole Miss seems to be confident nothing major will happen because Freeze is still there...but I have been wrong before.

I've said it on here for many years now.  Mark Emmert is an idiot and plays games, he has at ever one of his stops along the way on his path to running the NCAA.  It is no surprise at all to see how so many of these issues have played out (Miami for example, Cam Newton, Manziel, Ohio st, Az st) and playing out (UNC, Ole Miss, and so on).  NCAA is realizing the money play these powerful schools have they don't have any nuts against the schools any more.  I think Emmert also plays favorites or righteous hierarchy with some schools over others. 

KlubhouseKonnected

Another option is that it keeps on dragging out because they keep discovering new dirt.
If Auburn is dirty so is Gus. You can't have it both ways. Deal with it.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: BigoBoys on May 31, 2017, 10:26:00 am
Here is an update. 

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/attorney-ncaa-case-vs-ole-miss-close-death-penalty-can-get/

Here is a key part of that article:

"It is as close to the death penalty as you can get without that actually happen," Loyd said. "Coach Farrar has been questioned extensively, in fact, five times by the NCAA about those allegations."

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ole-miss-football/attorney-ncaa-case-vs-ole-miss-close-death-penalty-can-get/
Go Hogs Go!

onebadrubi

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 31, 2017, 11:16:14 am
Here is a key part of that article:

"It is as close to the death penalty as you can get without that actually happen," Loyd said. "Coach Farrar has been questioned extensively, in fact, five times by the NCAA about those allegations."

Keep in mind, the guy saying that is the attorney of the assistant coach that Ole Miss is trying to use as the scapegoat and put all the blame on him, which would ruin that mans career.   

Hogwild

Quote"I'm looking forward to [the bowl ban] in a weird kind of way," Ole Miss' coach added Tuesday during the SEC spring meetings. "I have the opportunity to really model for a group of young men how real life can be like when you're faced something you didn't ask for."

QuoteFor now, a short history of recent bowl bans isn't encouraging.

USC was given a two-year bowl game and lost 30 scholarships in 2010 just for the actions of one player, Reggie Bush. Ole Miss' case is arguably more widespread involving more assistants and blame placed on Freeze.
Penn State was given a four-year bowl ban in 2012, later cut in half, as a result of the Jerry Sandusky scandal. You shouldn't have to be reminded about the national upheaval that caused.
Former coach Jim Tressel lied to the NCAA, forcing Ohio State to stay home despite a 12-0 regular-season record in 2012.
The best/worst example of a bowl ban in the SEC might be Auburn in 1993. After an 11-0 season, the Tigers were kept out of a national title shot.
Freeze says he has reached out to some "NASCAR guys," FedEx CEO Fred Smith and former Baylor acting coach Jim Grobe for advice regarding his current situation.

QuoteMeanwhile, the lawyer of former Ole Miss coach Houston Nutt wants an apology for his client. Thomas Mars suggested some Ole Miss sources were a bit too aggressive in placing blame on Nutt for the NCAA wrongdoing.
A more sordid history could be in the making. Since August 2013, an NCAA bylaw has dictated a coach negligent of oversight of his program could be suspended for up to a year. If it happened, Freeze would be the first in FBS.
In fact, it is believed Freeze is the first FBS coach ever charged with violating the so-called "coaches' responsibility" bylaw.
http://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/ole-miss-crossroads-freeze-faces-ncaa-patterson-to-endure-another-empty-season/

If he is enjoying his bowl ban, why not give them two years?

hawgdawg63

Thanks for all the updates. It seems the article thinks what I think....Ole Miss putting itself on a bowl ban will be enough. The article even says....by giving Freeze a contract extension they must feel confident nothing more will happen to them.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: onebadrubi on May 31, 2017, 11:32:28 am
Keep in mind, the guy saying that is the attorney of the assistant coach that Ole Miss is trying to use as the scapegoat and put all the blame on him, which would ruin that mans career.   

Yeah, I understood that. But I figure he has seen the charges and probably had quite a lot of interaction with the NCAA's Legal Counsel with regard to same.
Go Hogs Go!

go hogues

Quote from: hawgdawg63 on May 31, 2017, 12:04:02 pm
Thanks for all the updates. It seems the article thinks what I think....Ole Miss putting itself on a bowl ban will be enough. The article even says....by giving Freeze a contract extension they must feel confident nothing more will happen to them.
This.

The Ole Miss brand (Archie, the Grove, Sundresses, The Blind Side, Freeze) is just too good for college football. My guess is they'll get off with only minor sanctions.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Seebs

As an aside - the death of journalism becomes so evident on these crappy blogs.

The story ends with things being submitted last week and things happening next week.

For God's sake, put a date on these things as reporting used to be a historical record.
Sloppy, lazy crap is what we are being fed. This hack is in charge of journalist standards at this rag. Yeah! University of Tennessee.
To add a "sig line" or "signature line": Go to your "profile" then go to "modify profile" then scroll down to where it says "Signature" and type in what you want it to say and then click on "change profile". That's it, you're done. Your sig line will only show up on your first post on each page.

Pigsknuckles

Still processing "weed in their position".
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: hawgdawg63 on May 31, 2017, 12:04:02 pm

I did not read it the way that you did apparently

MuskogeeHogFan

Ha! Apparently now, according to an "unnamed source", Ole Miss plans to deny most of the 21 violations that they are accused of committing.

The University of Mississippi and its football coaching staff are expected to deny most of the 21 violations brought on by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, a person directly involved with case tells 44News Sports Director JoJo Gentry.

The current list of allegations brought against Ole Miss and its football staff is the most significant list of charges against a NCAA program in 30 years, according to those with knowledgeable about the history of NCAA allegations.

http://44news.wevv.com/ole-miss-football-coaching-staff-deny-majority-21-ncaa-violations/
Go Hogs Go!

Suidae Suis Scrofa

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 31, 2017, 02:09:26 pm
Ha! Apparently now, according to an "unnamed source", Ole Miss plans to deny most of the 21 violations that they are accused of committing.

It sounds to me like either someone is out to get Ole Miss and has created a lot of accusations that Ole  Miss is confident they can disprove, or Ole Miss really did this stuff and figures they'll claim that nothing happened and take a chance that some of the claims get dropped before they have to admit to them.

-phil

RazorBassin

Wish they would have found something at Auburn, this will just return OM where they belong.  To the bottom of the SEC-W.  Auburn deserves a good ol death penalty, and I still feel like someone was paid off there.  Maybe I'm wrong, but there was way to much smoke for there not to be a fire.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Suidae Suis Scrofa on May 31, 2017, 02:56:42 pm
It sounds to me like either someone is out to get Ole Miss and has created a lot of accusations that Ole  Miss is confident they can disprove, or Ole Miss really did this stuff and figures they'll claim that nothing happened and take a chance that some of the claims get dropped before they have to admit to them.

-phil

They may be trying to take a page from UNC's book and just tell the NCAA to pound sand. A little different situation but they could be trying to limit the damage. Obviously they aren't going with the thought process of, "throwing themselves on the mercy of the court". Of course if it is true that this is the most significant list of charges against a school in 3o years, they may feel like, "what have we got to lose?"
Go Hogs Go!

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on May 31, 2017, 02:09:26 pm

The University of Mississippi and its football coaching staff are expected to deny most of the 21 violations brought on by the National Collegiate Athletic Association, a person directly involved with case tells 44News Sports Director JoJo Gentry.

The current list of allegations brought against Ole Miss and its football staff is the most significant list of charges against a NCAA program in 30 years, according to those with knowledgeable about the history of NCAA allegations.

http://44news.wevv.com/ole-miss-football-coaching-staff-deny-majority-21-ncaa-violations/

Anyone surprised by this has really had their head in the sand. Ole Missdecided to go "all in" and this is just more of that.

Birminghog

I'm all for bashing OM, but unless the board of regents knew about it and the governor is on the board, it will never reach the SMU level. Not that it has to.

TheRazorback500

Do you wanna get Rocked?

GuvHog

Quote from: Birminghog on May 31, 2017, 05:30:06 pm
I'm all for bashing OM, but unless the board of regents knew about it and the governor is on the board, it will never reach the SMU level. Not that it has to.

The SMU Death Penalty was actually a 2 year penalty as the were only allowed to play a non-conference schedule the second year and were ineligible for post season play. I don't see the NCAA going that far with Ole Miss. I do believe a 1 year death penalty and the loss of this year's recruiting class is a possibility though.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Inhogswetrust

June 01, 2017, 12:25:44 pm #24 Last Edit: June 01, 2017, 12:40:32 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: go hogues on May 31, 2017, 12:53:41 pm
This.

The Ole Miss brand (Archie, the Grove, Sundresses, The Blind Side, Freeze) is just too good for college football. My guess is they'll get off with only minor sanctions.

Snuck in the dumbest post of the month on the last day of the month.......................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 01, 2017, 12:25:44 pm
Snuck in the dumbest post of the month on the last day of the month.......................

I smh as well

RazorWest

Quote from: KlubhouseKonnected on May 31, 2017, 04:34:15 pm
Anyone surprised by this has really had their head in the sand. Ole Missdecided to go "all in" and this is just more of that.

Absolutely, by going all in the NCAA has to come up with tangible proof, IE a money trail.  As Breaking Bad teaches, laundered money is hard to track.  Wonder if Ole Miss purchased any car washes.

rljjr

This.

I can respect your opinion, but I disagree with the statement that the brand is too good for college football. The Ole Miss brand has contributed 2 wins against Alabama in the modern era of football -- oh, and back to back Cotton Bowls that hadn't been done in 50 -- FIFTY -- years.

The BRAND had to re-brand itself by dropping the Rebel Flag and getting rid of Col Reb for a Black Bear. The BRAND is a still-frame capture of one of its marquee players with a gas mask bong. The BRAND is one of not having made an SEC Championship Game since the SEC expanded.

I know Arkansas has its issues, but I really don't know if there is such an animal as the Ole Miss brand that has much cachet further than its own state borders.

JoeyCapital

Quote from: rljjr on June 01, 2017, 03:30:41 pm
The BRAND is a still-frame capture of one of its marquee players with a gas mask bong. 
Seconded
What did you say? I missed it. Was distracted. My side piece was arguing with my side piece

Rzbakfromwaybak

This is going to get interesting.  Ole Miss giving Freeze a 4 year extension on his contract, right in the middle of all this mess !! Reward the coach for running a crooked program ??  And, if it's true that Ole Miss is really going to deny most of these charges as the rumors claim ?  Has Ole Miss really gone..."all in" ? Maybe Ole Miss feels they don't have much to loose, at this point ? Be easy to see how the NCAA could interpret those actions... as thumbing their nose at everything.  Mighty risky, while the NCAA is holding a big hammer in their hands.
Arkansas born, Arkansas bred, when I die I'll be a Razorback dead.

Sivad

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 02, 2017, 12:58:06 am
Ole Miss giving Freeze a 4 year extension on his contract, right in the middle of all this mess !! Reward the coach for running a crooked program ??
Ole Miss is hooked on cheating.

247Hog

Ole Miss can probably give Freeze a 100 year extension because they know it won't matter. They can say to the coach they bring in to replace Freeze that they supported Freeze during the good and bad times. Unfortunately for us and Freeze, Ole Miss will find whatever they want to void the buyout of his contract.

Freeze at Ole Miss and being under microscope for cheating is great for us. Hope he stays a long time.
If there's one thing any of you should know as hog fans, brace yourself for disappointment and never get your hopes up.

It could be raining female body parts outside and we'd all be hit in the head with a pecker - Dmaxfan

KlubhouseKonnected

Quote from: 247Hog on June 02, 2017, 09:38:44 am
Ole Miss can probably give Freeze a 100 year extension because they know it won't matter. They can say to the coach they bring in to replace Freeze that they supported Freeze during the good and bad times. Unfortunately for us and Freeze, Ole Miss will find whatever they want to void the buyout of his contract.

Freeze at Ole Miss and being under microscope for cheating is great for us. Hope he stays a long time.

That extension is primarily for PR and recruiting

NaturalStateReb

The NCAA regulates the major conferences only as much as the major conferences permit it. 

If you think there's going to be a "death penalty" for a Power 5 institution anywhere ever again--especially the SEC--go ahead and put down that crack pipe.  Do you really think the SEC and Disney are going to allow the NCAA to take 1/14th of the conference's football game inventory?  It's not going to happen, ever.

It's entirely possible that there will be additional scholarship reductions, but that's about where it's going to stop.  It's going to hurt--it already has hurt--but if you're sitting around waiting for Armageddon from the NCAA, you'll be left wanting.  When you boil down what the NCAA is going to do to any Power 5 institution from here on out, it won't make enough to cover a biscuit.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

go hogues

Quote from: rljjr on June 01, 2017, 03:30:41 pm
I can respect your opinion, but I disagree with the statement that the brand is too good for college football. The Ole Miss brand has contributed 2 wins against Alabama in the modern era of football -- oh, and back to back Cotton Bowls that hadn't been done in 50 -- FIFTY -- years.

The BRAND had to re-brand itself by dropping the Rebel Flag and getting rid of Col Reb for a Black Bear. The BRAND is a still-frame capture of one of its marquee players with a gas mask bong. The BRAND is one of not having made an SEC Championship Game since the SEC expanded.

I know Arkansas has its issues, but I really don't know if there is such an animal as the Ole Miss brand that has much cachet further than its own state borders.

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on June 01, 2017, 12:25:44 pm

Pundits LOVE OM. They slobber all over themselves talking about them and their campus and "a game day at the Grove". Their contribution to the romantic image of college football is stitched right alongside the big boys that earn the same respect for ON THE FIELD performance. I hate OM more than any other team but it's obvious that those who control the airwaves and print media love them. Therefore, I just have a hard time believing anything of substance will happen to them.
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

hawganatic

Quote from: Rzbakfromwaybak on June 02, 2017, 12:58:06 am
This is going to get interesting.  Ole Miss giving Freeze a 4 year extension on his contract, right in the middle of all this mess !! Reward the coach for running a crooked program ?? 

Contract extensions are about recruiting, not about the coach.  How many times do we see a coach get an extension, and be fired within a couple of seasons?

Besides, who are they going to get to come in if they get rid of Freeze?  No coach with any kind of career ambition is going to touch that job until all this is over and the majority of the sanctions are behind them.

hawganatic

This.

I guess USC's "brand" just isn't as good as Ole Miss.  Or Ohio States, or Penn States...

I laugh at the people who claim the NCAA won't hammer the big name schools where there are plenty of examples where they have.  It's a matter of being able to prove what they think happen, not just acting on rumors and circumstance.

PorkRinds

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 05, 2017, 08:53:15 am
The NCAA regulates the major conferences only as much as the major conferences permit it. 

If you think there's going to be a "death penalty" for a Power 5 institution anywhere ever again--especially the SEC--go ahead and put down that crack pipe.  Do you really think the SEC and Disney are going to allow the NCAA to take 1/14th of the conference's football game inventory?  It's not going to happen, ever.

It's entirely possible that there will be additional scholarship reductions, but that's about where it's going to stop.  It's going to hurt--it already has hurt--but if you're sitting around waiting for Armageddon from the NCAA, you'll be left wanting.  When you boil down what the NCAA is going to do to any Power 5 institution from here on out, it won't make enough to cover a biscuit.

4th and 25 hurt way worse

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: PorkRinds on June 05, 2017, 01:26:48 pm
4th and 25 hurt way worse

"Ole Miss is not my rival.  Ole Miss is not my rival."
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hawganatic on June 05, 2017, 10:24:12 am
I guess USC's "brand" just isn't as good as Ole Miss.  Or Ohio States, or Penn States...

I laugh at the people who claim the NCAA won't hammer the big name schools where there are plenty of examples where they have.  It's a matter of being able to prove what they think happen, not just acting on rumors and circumstance.

Let's unpack that for a minute.

The Reggie Bush sanctions came along in 2011.  PAC Network didn't come into existence until the following year, and SEC Network was still three years away.  The only conference network that was going was BTN, and it wasn't setting the world on fire yet.  The PAC wrapped up some tv deals that same year, but most of this stuff came and went before the big money started to get on the table.

The Ohio State affair came along at about the same time--2011.  All of the same things are true for them. 

In the Penn State affair, the NCAA ultimately ended up rolling back many of the sanctions it levied on the Nittany Lions.  Although the motivation for levying the sanctions was clear, what wasn't clear was whether the NCAA even had the authority to sanction actions by Penn State that were really crimes.  The NCAA rescinded many of the penalties in three phases, with all of it wrapped up within 3 years.  (BTW, 3 of those Penn State guys got prison sentences last week, as well they should).  Penn State and the Big Ten were in a position where they couldn't publicly resist the NCAA back in 2012; they could, however, work to quietly roll it all back as quickly as possible, which they did.

I'm not saying the NCAA isn't ever going to enforce anything, either at Ole Miss or anywhere else.  What I'm saying is that the money now is so huge that the NCAA isn't powerful enough to jerk that money out of the hands of either conferences or networks.  Pre-2011, maybe it was a theoretical possibility.  Now, that time has passed.  It's like a government agency regulating a small number of extremely rich, extremely powerful corporations.  Sure, the agency can inspect them, fine them, maybe even make them squirm a bit, but those corporations aren't going to tolerate an existential threat.  The same is even more true here, where the regulated really form the regulator.

hawganatic

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 05, 2017, 01:45:23 pm
Let's unpack that for a minute.

The Reggie Bush sanctions came along in 2011.  PAC Network didn't come into existence until the following year, and SEC Network was still three years away.  The only conference network that was going was BTN, and it wasn't setting the world on fire yet.  The PAC wrapped up some tv deals that same year, but most of this stuff came and went before the big money started to get on the table.

The Ohio State affair came along at about the same time--2011.  All of the same things are true for them. 

In the Penn State affair, the NCAA ultimately ended up rolling back many of the sanctions it levied on the Nittany Lions.  Although the motivation for levying the sanctions was clear, what wasn't clear was whether the NCAA even had the authority to sanction actions by Penn State that were really crimes.  The NCAA rescinded many of the penalties in three phases, with all of it wrapped up within 3 years.  (BTW, 3 of those Penn State guys got prison sentences last week, as well they should).  Penn State and the Big Ten were in a position where they couldn't publicly resist the NCAA back in 2012; they could, however, work to quietly roll it all back as quickly as possible, which they did.

I'm not saying the NCAA isn't ever going to enforce anything, either at Ole Miss or anywhere else.  What I'm saying is that the money now is so huge that the NCAA isn't powerful enough to jerk that money out of the hands of either conferences or networks.  Pre-2011, maybe it was a theoretical possibility.  Now, that time has passed.  It's like a government agency regulating a small number of extremely rich, extremely powerful corporations.  Sure, the agency can inspect them, fine them, maybe even make them squirm a bit, but those corporations aren't going to tolerate an existential threat.  The same is even more true here, where the regulated really form the regulator.

Ehhhh, marginal argument at best.  If that were true then the investigation on Ole Miss wouldn't have even gotten this far.  It would have already been squashed by the SEC or the networks if either had the ability to do that.  There was also plenty of money on the table in 2011 where, if that were a factor like you say, it would have played into how those school's got punished. 

As far as Penn State, I actually agree with rolling everything back.  The sanctions were really a PR move by the NCAA because the backlash was so bad.  As bad as the situation was, it was still outside of parameters of the football team and no competitive advantage was gained by the football team.  All that was being accomplished by the sanctions was punishing a team and administration that had nothing to do with what happened.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hawganatic on June 05, 2017, 02:12:25 pm
Ehhhh, marginal argument at best.  If that were true then the investigation on Ole Miss wouldn't have even gotten this far.  It would have already been squashed by the SEC or the networks if either had the ability to do that.  There was also plenty of money on the table in 2011 where, if that were a factor like you say, it would have played into how those school's got punished. 

As far as Penn State, I actually agree with rolling everything back.  The sanctions were really a PR move by the NCAA because the backlash was so bad.  As bad as the situation was, it was still outside of parameters of the football team and no competitive advantage was gained by the football team.  All that was being accomplished by the sanctions was punishing a team and administration that had nothing to do with what happened.

I don't think the SEC or any other conference would squash it at the outset.  That would make it look like there's no regulation at all.  That's not what I'm saying.  What I'm saying is that I don't think we'll see program-devastating penalties levied on Power 5 programs anymore.  These conference and network deals are too interrelated for that. 

Let's say you give Wisconsin the death penalty for a year.  Sure, Wisconsin takes a huge hit.  But Ohio State, Michigan, and Fox also take big hits, since knocking Wisconsin out vaporizes 1/14th of the Big Ten's football inventory for the year.  That's a major financial loss for all involved.  The Power 5 conferences aren't going to allow that to happen, because it's too much of a financial threat.  Being in the NCAA is voluntary; the NCAA knows that, too.  They're not going to do anything to incentivize the Power 5 conferences to break away--there's already too much talk about that for them right now. 

I agree with you on Penn State.  To me, it was an opportunistic power grab by the NCAA.  I think they could have penalized Penn State in some form or fashion, but the penalties were just so out there ($60 million fine, really?) that the NCAA really didn't have much choice but to walk it back eventually.

hawganatic

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 05, 2017, 03:03:00 pm
What I'm saying is that I don't think we'll see program-devastating penalties levied on Power 5 programs anymore. 

Oh yeah, nobody is ever going to get the death penalty again.  That's pretty widely accepted.  Not sure why people keep bringing that up.

Ole Miss will get something along the lines of what USC got and are going to be down for several years.  Probably get their bowl ban extended, reduced scholarships, and reduced recruiting visits.  Freeze is also probably going to get slapped with the show-cause penalty  There's been too much attention brought to this already for them to get anything less.

My original post in this thread was in reference to somebody claiming the Ole Miss "brand" was too big to get any real type of punishment.  That's just a laughable since there are several examples of bigger name schools getting hammered.

NaturalStateReb

Quote from: hawganatic on June 05, 2017, 03:24:42 pm
Oh yeah, nobody is ever going to get the death penalty again.  That's pretty widely accepted.  Not sure why people keep bringing that up.

Ole Miss will get something along the lines of what USC got and are going to be down for several years.  Probably get their bowl ban extended, reduced scholarships, and reduced recruiting visits.  Freeze is also probably going to get slapped with the show-cause penalty  There's been too much attention brought to this already for them to get anything less.

My original post in this thread was in reference to somebody claiming the Ole Miss "brand" was too big to get any real type of punishment.  That's just a laughable since there are several examples of bigger name schools getting hammered.

I don't think it's got anything to do with the "brand" either.  It's a good brand, but not a huge brand. 

I think we'll see reduced schollies and recruiting visits.  I don't think there will be a 2nd year bowl ban or a show-cause on Freeze; I think the only way Freeze is let go is if Ole Miss is worried that there will be a 2nd year bowl ban and cutting him loose is the only way to avoid it.  His extension tells me they're not too worried either way--if no 2nd year ban, it's good for recruiting; if there is a 2nd year ban, they fire him for cause and don't pay the extension.  I think there will be a show-cause on Barney Farrar, and that's why his attorney is kicking up the latest on the link above.  I think there will also be a show cause on Chris Vaughn. 

hawganatic

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on June 05, 2017, 03:50:22 pm
I don't think it's got anything to do with the "brand" either.  It's a good brand, but not a huge brand. 

I think we'll see reduced schollies and recruiting visits.  I don't think there will be a 2nd year bowl ban or a show-cause on Freeze; I think the only way Freeze is let go is if Ole Miss is worried that there will be a 2nd year bowl ban and cutting him loose is the only way to avoid it.  His extension tells me they're not too worried either way--if no 2nd year ban, it's good for recruiting; if there is a 2nd year ban, they fire him for cause and don't pay the extension.  I think there will be a show-cause on Barney Farrar, and that's why his attorney is kicking up the latest on the link above.  I think there will also be a show cause on Chris Vaughn.

I don't think the extension has anything to do with their confidence in Freeze or what is going on.  It's just a show for recruiting.  Like you said, they can still fire him for cause, so the extension really doesn't mean anything.  Ole Miss isn't going to let go of him simply because, who would they go get right now?  No coach in their right mind is going to willingly go into that mess.  Might as well stick with the horse that got you there. 

The number of infractions and the level they are at, I don't see how they get out of at least one more year out of post season.  I think USC's infractions were less and they got two years (2010 and 2011).

Inhogswetrust

June 05, 2017, 04:09:47 pm #45 Last Edit: June 07, 2017, 03:57:36 pm by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: go hogues on June 05, 2017, 09:32:50 am
Pundits LOVE OM. They slobber all over themselves talking about them and their campus and "a game day at the Grove". Their contribution to the romantic image of college football is stitched right alongside the big boys that earn the same respect for ON THE FIELD performance. I hate OM more than any other team but it's obvious that those who control the airwaves and print media love them. Therefore, I just have a hard time believing anything of substance will happen to them.

That's silly. The media doesn't love anyone UNLESS it brings in ratings. While old misses was winning then of course we heard about them moreso than some others. That's the nature of media. The grove is a nice tailgating experience but the media talks about something at all schools. With us it's the hog call, with old misses it's the grove. Nothing wrong with that. When old misses isn't winning they aren't a media darling and pundits don't "love" them. The only one's that are romantic about old misses are old miss folks.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hawgar The Horrible

One of their most prominent boosters was banned last fall. The same guy that owns numerous car dealerships and supplied players with rides.

My source is a guy that played for OM in the early 90's and his father hosts golf outings for Freeze in my locale. It was confirmed by another neighbor of mine that is part of the Pickwick/Ole Miss clique.

Freeze and Co. are guilty as sin. And I mean corrupt.
There are fans and there are supporters. The latter carries the weight.

ErieHog

Quote from: Seebs on May 31, 2017, 01:40:55 pm
As an aside - the death of journalism becomes so evident on these crappy blogs.

The story ends with things being submitted last week and things happening next week.

For God's sake, put a date on these things as reporting used to be a historical record.
Sloppy, lazy crap is what we are being fed. This hack is in charge of journalist standards at this rag. Yeah! University of Tennessee.

January 9th would be the day they need to file the official response.

Of course, it will be deny, deny, deny, and deny some more-  admitting never does anything for you.

In the end, I would expect their punishment to be somewhere between USC and Penn State.    They won't get the year 2  or year 3 bailout, though, because they broke actual rules that the NCAA can legally enforce.

In general terms, of course they were going to extend Freeze; they have to show a public face of continuity, until this is getting into the end phases.

They can and will fire him in a red hot minute, using whatever comes down the pipe from the NCAA as a shown cause of the termination, and not owe him a dime;   in turn, he gets a little monetary bump to see this through-- so they each come out ahead from him not staying under his existing contract. 

No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."

husker71

something is going on right now but I cant catch what happened but Feinbaum gets mentioning "in the last couple of hours"   have to get lawn mowed and trying to go in and out to listen.  Oh the hell with the lawn wont be the 1st time I pissed off my wife.  I will just tell her it is broken right now and throw down some oil.

ErieHog

They released their response.  Its about 125 pages, with a ton of deflection so far.
No cause, ever, in the history of all mankind, has produced more cold-blooded tyrants, more slaughtered innocents, and more orphans than socialism with power. It surpassed, exponentially, all other systems of production in turning out the dead. The bodies are all around us. And here is the problem: No one talks about them. No one honors them. No one does penance for them. No one has committed suicide for having been an apologist for those who did this to them. No one pays for them. No one is hunted down to account for them. It is exactly what Solzhenitsyn foresaw in The Gulag Archipelago: "No, no one would have to answer. No one would be looked into." Until that happens, there is no "after socialism."