Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How To Fix The One And Done Rule

Started by TexArkHogFan, August 25, 2015, 01:33:27 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

jbcarol

Adam Zagoria ‏@AdamZagoria 11h11 hours ago

How Villanova Succeeded Without One-and-Dones https://www.sny.tv/college-recruiting/news/how-villanova-succeeded-without-one-and-dones/170306022?tcid=tw_article_170306022 ...

QuoteChrist the King coach Joe Arbitello was driving one day in the spring of 2015 when his cell phone rang.

It was Villanova coach Jay Wright calling to say that the school, which was among the first to offer a scholarship to star guard Rawle Alkins during his time at the New York Catholic league powerhouse, would no longer be recruiting him.

"He said Rawle wasn't going to come in and just start because guys weren't leaving," Arbitello, who has known Wright for many years, told SNY.tv by phone from New York. "Jay was just being honest, unlike a lot of college guys."

While some consider Alkins a potential one-and-done talent, Villanova knew they would have a slew of experienced perimeter players returning in 2016-17 -- potentially including Jalen Brunson, Josh Hart, Phil Booth, Mikal Bridges and Donte DiVincenzo -- and wouldn't necessarily be able to offer Alkins significant playing time.

"I just couldn't see myself in a Villanova uniform," Alkins, who was also recruited by North Carolina after moving to Raleigh (N.C.) Word of God Academy, told SNY.tv. "I have the most respect for Coach Wright and Villanova and think they're playing absolutely insane but I just didn't think it fit my playing style and it wasn't the right fit."

Interestingly, Villanova assistant Ashley Howard told SNY.tv that Villanova just hasn't had the "litmus test' yet of a potential one-and-done player coming into the program.

"If it fit we would take those guys but we just haven't had the litmus test yet," Howard said in the Villanova locker room on Sunday. "If we had a guy that came in and it was the right fit at the right time then I think we would be able to do it."

Instead, he said, Villanova opts to rely on the players they already have, giving them room to improve over time.

"I think a lot of times with recruiting now, guys look to see which guys are leaving which programs so it's almost like a perfect fit [for them]," Howard said. "We have guys that are in the program so they may not necessarily be the fit but if it was the right fit I think we would take a kid [who might be one-and-done] if he fit a need of ours."

A year ago, Duke won the national championship with three eventual one-and-dones in Jahlil Okafor, Justise Winslow and Tyus Jones.

But that's not how Villanova rolls, not at all.
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

Inhogswetrust

If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

jbcarol

https://twitter.com/wildcatnews/status/744169307643482113

QuoteIn the 2005 NBA labor negotiations, former commissioner David Stern won a key provision. The new collective bargaining agreement mandated that draft prospects be at least 19 years old and a year removed from high school.

Now a decade old, the one-and-done rule is no less controversial. Here are three perspectives on its impact:

A glossary of key one-and-done terms

NCAA -- The good shepherd. Billion-dollar "non-profit organization." Steward of "amateurism."

NBA: A rule designed to protect owners from themselves

Yes, a 19-year-old Kevin Garnett had skipped college, warranting a lottery pick in 1995, opening the gates for Kobe Bryant the next year and Tracy McGrady the year after that. But with a growing gallery of perceived busts -- from Korleone Young (1998) to Jonathan Bender (1999) to Darius Miles (2000) -- Stern and the owners, Jordan included, advocated for a rule change to stem the tide.

Never mind that the pipeline from high school to the NBA would soon deliver LeBron James. In the ballroom, Jordan lamented what he saw as the league's sinking standard of professionalism. Fellow attendees recall him explaining that these high schoolers were too unpredictable to scout, badly needed to learn fundamentals, even that they threatened disaster, both on and off the court.

Of course, less than five months later, Washington found itself in possession of the No. 1 pick in the 2001 NBA draft. And Jordan could not help but select ... out of Glynn Academy in Brunswick, Georgia ... Kwame Brown.

College basketball: Duke, Kentucky's disparate approaches converge

By Eamonn Brennan

A DECADE ON, the one-and-done-era has now had a profound impact on the NCAA, which was a mere bystander to its inception.

The same authority that once prevented Lew Alcindor from playing on the varsity as a freshman has now crowned two of its past five national champions (Kentucky in 2012 and Duke in 2015) led primarily by one-and-dones. Kevin Durant, Greg Oden, Derrick Rose, Kevin Love, Michael Beasley, John Wall, and DeMarcus Cousins ruled upon arrival. In 2010, the media made Harrison Barnes the first freshman preseason Associated Press All-American in college basketball history. Three more (Andrew Wiggins, Jahlil Okafor and Ben Simmons) have since joined. And only once in the decade since -- in 2009, when Oklahoma sophomore Blake Griffin went to the Clippers -- has a one-and-done freshman not been the No. 1 overall pick.

John Calipari...

jbcarol

SportsCenter ‏@SportsCenter 14h14 hours ago

This is the 5th time in the Common Draft era that each of the top 3 picks has been a freshman.

All of those years have come since 2008.

jbcarol

Chad Ford, ESPN's analyst of NBA drafts: "What players do at 19 is actually a very strong indicator of what they're going to do at the NBA (level). Guys that don't figure it out until they're 20, 21, 22 can struggle more in the NBA. ... They end up topping out in college basketball."

QuoteFord said he liked Jamal Murray more than Buddy Hield as a prospect. One reason is age: At 19, Murray is perceived as having a greater "upside" than Hield, who is 22.

What players do at 19 is actually a very strong indicator of what they're going to do at the NBA (level)," Ford said on a teleconference earlier this month. "Guys that don't figure it out until they're 20, 21, 22 can struggle more in the NBA. ... They end up topping out in college basketball."

At 19, Murray averaged 20.0 points, the highest average for any player in John Calipari's seven seasons as UK coach. Hield averaged 7.8 points as a freshman.

Former UK star Rex Chapman wondered if Ford's rating of Hield contradicted this general assessment. Was Hield much better positioned in the mock draft this year than last year?

He was. In his 2016 mock draft updated early last week, Ford had Hield being taken with the No. 8 pick. Hield was not among Ford's top 30 prospects going into the 2015 NBA Draft.

Then in the draft, New Orleans took Hield with the sixth pick, while Murray went seventh to Denver.

Youth-is-served has not always been the NBA philosophy. Chapman recalled feeling like he was at a disadvantage as the youngest player in the 1988 draft and in the first few seasons of his pro career.

"I can remember trying to grow facial hair, thinking it will help me get calls from the referees," he said.

It was a different time.

It was a better time.

jbcarol

jbcarol

Adrian Wojnarowski ‏@WojVerticalNBA Oct 20

Among items that will be in final CBA agreement: NBA's "one-and-done" college draft rule will remain in place, sources tell @TheVertical.

jbcarol

Could the one-and-done era in college basketball finally be nearing an end? If so, SEC commissioner Greg Sankey thinks he and his conference would be happy.

Quote"My sense is it's not working for anyone," Silver said Thursday before Game 1 of the NBA Finals. "It's not working for the college coaches and athletic directors I hear from. They're not happy with the current system. And I know our teams aren't happy either, in part because they don't necessarily think the players who are coming into the league are getting the kind of training that they would expect to see."

Silver didn't propose a solution, whether it be allowing high school players in the draft, or extending the rule to having players spend two or more years in college.

Sankey, speaking at the end of SEC meetings in Destin, said he hadn't seen Silver's statement but based on what he was told he liked it.

"I think we would welcome longer stays," Sankey said. "In fact, I know we'd welcome longer stays. If there's a change to the one-and-done rule, that has to be made between the NBA and the NBA players association, and we understand and respect that."

Sankey hearkened back to his college days in upstate New York, when he would watch star upperclassmen competing in the Big East.

"You'd see Patrick Ewing and Rony Seikaly in that setting. And we had it here [in the SEC] for two to three to four years. That created some pretty special moments," Sankey said. "We're going to deal with the system we have. It's almost like football recruiting: You have a system, you learn it and you make decisions on how you operate and proceed. So, we'll do that for now and see what might develop at the NBA level."

The 2017 NBA Draft is June 22. In its latest mock draft, SEC Country projects two Kentucky players among the top 5 picks. Both Malik Monk and De'Aaron Fox spent one season with the Wildcats. Nine of the top 10 players in the mock draft were college freshman last season; the other played in France.

jbcarol

ESPN Stats & Info
‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo
55m55 minutes ago

Only two National Champions in the "one-and-done era" (since 2006) started a one-and-done player.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: jbcarol on March 31, 2018, 01:56:14 pm
ESPN Stats & Info
‏Verified account @ESPNStatsInfo
55m55 minutes ago

Only two National Champions in the "one-and-done era" (since 2006) started a one-and-done player.

One of the most interesting posts on the subject.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi