Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Which potential 1st round matchups are good/bad for us?

Started by WxHog, March 06, 2018, 01:14:02 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

WxHog

Looking at current bracketology sites, it seems that the more likely teams we would face are:

St. Mary's
St. Bonaventure
Kansas State
Arizona State
NC State
Florida State
Butler
Providence
Middle TN

Other possibilities, if we are in 8-9 game:
Rhode Island
Creighton
Virginia Tech

Other possibilities, if we are a 6 seed:
Texas
USC
UCLA
Baylor
Marquette
Syracuse

Which of these teams jump out to you as a good or bad matchup to us?

Note: I intentionally left Oklahoma out. Committee will avoid an earlier season re-match if at all possible.

hogsanity

Any of them that have a really good PG or a pair of good guards that can shoot, or worse yet a good pg and a 3 that can shoot the 3.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

I'd rather play one of the small school teams that would not be used to our style of play.

GoHogs1091

These 3 would probably not be good match-ups.

Florida State   Leonard Hamilton would probably out-coach Anderson.

Virginia Tech   Very athletic. 

Syracuse (if they get in)   Terrible coaching match-up that would heavily favor Syracuse.  Boeheim would have his team ready for our outdated slogan based (Fastest 40 Minutes) system, and it would not be good for our stand-around offense to have to face his tough 2-3 defense.

I wouldn't worry too much if we faced UCLA.  UCA came very close to beating them early in the season (UCA lost to them in Overtime).

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/matchup?gameId=400988209

OldTimeHawg

Quote from: WxHog on March 06, 2018, 01:14:02 pm
Looking at current bracketology sites, it seems that the more likely teams we would face are:

St. Mary's
St. Bonaventure
Kansas State
Arizona State
NC State
Florida State
Butler
Providence
Middle TN

Other possibilities, if we are in 8-9 game:
Rhode Island
Creighton
Virginia Tech

Other possibilities, if we are a 6 seed:
Texas
USC
UCLA
Baylor
Marquette
Syracuse

Note: I intentionally left Oklahoma out. Committee will avoid an earlier season re-match if at all possible.

I have watched all of these teams this year. 

3 Worst Matchups (Least Worst to Worst)
3. Florida State
2. Virginia Tech
1. Butler

3 Best Matchups:
3. Kansas State
2. UCLA
1. Marquette (BY A WIDE GAP)

To be honest if we stay away from Mid. Tennessee and the 3 worst matchups we should be fine.  St. Bonny is hot though, but they don't have the guard play that beats Arkansas.
HOGS = LIFE

Slater

I remember playing Kansas State several times and coming up short in 80, 81 when they had Blackman.
FASTEST 40 ILUVMIKE

31to6

Quote from: WxHog on March 06, 2018, 01:14:02 pm
I would rather play a P5 bubble team than a mid-major that is #2 or #3 in their league.

The talent disparity isn't that great and those solid mid-major teams tend to play good fundamental basketball.

sickboy

Quote from: Slater on March 06, 2018, 07:09:04 pm
I remember playing Kansas State several times and coming up short in 80, 81 when they had Blackman.

Also, Dude. Blackman is not the preferred nomenclature. African American, please.

HogBreath

Quote from: Slater on March 06, 2018, 07:09:04 pm
Relax, he's graduated I think.
I said...LSU has often been an overrated team.

That ignoramus Draconian Sanctions said..if we're overrated, why are we ranked higher than you are?

Dudeman

St Mary's.  Watching them against byu they looked way terrible. Just one game that i watched though so im sure they are decent but they play in the wcc.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

ShadowHawg

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 06, 2018, 04:04:21 pm

Syracuse (if they get in)   Terrible coaching match-up that would heavily favor Syracuse.  Boeheim would have his team ready for our outdated slogan based (Fastest 40 Minutes) system, and it would not be good for our stand-around offense to have to face his tough 2-3 defense.

I wouldn't worry too much if we faced UCLA.  UCA came very close to beating them early in the season (UCA lost to them in Overtime).

I don't know what you are so concerned about. Miss St isn't going to be in the tournament

go hogues

Quote from: Dudeman on March 06, 2018, 09:17:21 pm
St Mary's.  Watching them against byu they looked way terrible. Just one game that i watched though so im sure they are decent but they play in the wcc.
They're a pretty good team. They were top 10 at one point this season if I'm not mistaken?
Quote from: Leadbelly on September 24, 2019, 09:05:22 pm<br />Dude, our back has been against the wall so long, we are now on the other side of the wall!<br />

Dominicanhog

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on March 06, 2018, 04:04:21 pm

They all out coach Mike in your eyes..FU