Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

A-State Football Recruiting

Started by Seminole Indian, November 10, 2015, 08:22:50 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Seminole Indian

A-State has been winning on the field despite the coaching changes because they have been winning in recruiting, and that looks to continue.

According to this article they have had the best 4-year recruiting rank in the SBC, base on 247 composite rankings:

http://www.sbnation.com/college-football-recruiting/2015/2/6/7987571/recruiting-rankings-ratings-2015-college-football-teams

They currently have 16 athletes committed, and are again on track to have the top class in the SBC per 247 composite rankings.

Winning their three national tv games has added fuel to the fire, and they now find themselves in a much better position  to finish up strong again.

That is good  because while they do not lose a lot of players off this year's team, the ones they do lose are outstanding.

While there are quality players returning at their position's  replacing QB Fredi Knighten, AB J.D. McKissic , WR Tres Houston, RB  Michael Gordon and TE Darion Griswold, and DE Chrise Stone  is the biggest challenge facing the coaches.

The good thing is they will have the best roster of talent in the SBC to find those replacements.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Lanny

A state needs to look at Eli Jackson from Lake Hamilton
"It's only a game if you win but if you lose it's a stinking waste of time."

Al Bundy

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

pigture perfect

I have seen A-State 3 times this year. Wand is a fun guy to watch.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Dropkick

That is a lot of talent to lose. Didn't realize they were all in their last year.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Lanny on November 10, 2015, 12:24:13 pm
A state needs to look at Eli Jackson from Lake Hamilton

What's his position?
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

GolfNut57

ASU is also losing Luke Ferguson who handles kickoffs and punting. Gonna miss those kickoffs through the end zone and punts inside the opponents twenty.
"Golf is deceptively simple and endlessly complicated; it satisfies the soul and frustrates the intellect. It is at the same time rewarding and maddening – and it is without a doubt the greatest game mankind has ever invented." Arnold Palmer.

Dropkick

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 10, 2015, 10:11:32 pm
ASU is also losing Luke Ferguson who handles kickoffs and punting. Gonna miss those kickoffs through the end zone and punts inside the opponents twenty.
A very underrated part of the game

Seminole Indian

November 11, 2015, 05:51:00 am #8 Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 10:00:10 am by Seminole Indian
Forgot about Ferguson, and he may be the biggest loss. Had a great year thus far.

Also lose star CB  Rocky Hayes (5‐11, 182), and DT Robert Mondie (6‐2, 321) the transfer from UAB is another outstanding player graduating I failed to mention. Had a great year.

They return every one else on the interior DL, and add Alabama transfer Dee Liner and red-shirts E.J. Sutton,and  Javier Carbonell, so they should be even better.

The also return all their DE's other than Stone, and add highly touted RS T.J. Harris to the mix, and they just got a commitment from former Tennessee signee Joe Thomas, so I expect they will probably be stronger up front next year, and they were outstanding this year.

"In truth, knowledge is a great and very useful quality; those who despise it give evidence enough of their stupidity. Yet I do not set its value at that extreme measure that some attribute to it." - Michel de Montaigne

Seminole Indian

November 11, 2015, 05:57:23 am #9 Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 06:54:33 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 10, 2015, 10:08:58 pm
What's his position?
Think he is still listed as a FB/LB.

Listed at 5-10, 220 and with 4.7 in the forty is a would probably have to play LB, at A-State.

That's about the same size and speed of last years starter, and star Q. Lee, and bigger than current starter Khari Lain. Like those two he is very aggressive, and seems to have a natural  feel for the game.

GolfNut57

ASU is also going to have that Echols-Luper kid that transferred in from TCU next season. I think he is a receiver but may end up at QB depending on what happens next spring.

Seminole Indian

Quote from: GolfNut57 on November 11, 2015, 08:06:31 am
ASU is also going to have that Echols-Luper kid that transferred in from TCU next season. I think he is a receiver but may end up at QB depending on what happens next spring.
Wherever he ends-up he will help make the offense better because of his speed, and athleticism.

Most observers say he is absolutely perfect for the AB position being vacated by McKissic, is bigger and faster, and think that is were he will end-up.

IMO you can't rule out him being the QB  because  the coaches built this offense to take advantage of Knighten's unique skills and he has similar skills, and was a pretty decent QB in HS.

Think they are in the mix for a JC QB, that started out at Tennessee, and if they get him it may help determine where  Echols-Luper ends up next year.

Seminole Indian

November 12, 2015, 07:29:03 am #12 Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 07:42:41 am by Seminole Indian
Despite the fact they are losing a lot of  'star' players from this year's team to graduation ,don't look for a drop-off next year. If they are able to add a handful of 'impact' players in the December and February signing periods, something this coaching staff is very, very good at, look for them to be better in 2016.

While talented , this is a smaller senior class than normal, and because they have been recruiting well for several years in a row, they have talented replacements for most of those departing already on campus.

In fact their younger talent is considered better than their older talent as a group, and as a result they are already in position to compete for an SBC Championship in 2016 'as is'.

Should have an even better defense next year, and one of the best OL's of any G5 to block for the above average skill players that they have been signing for several years.

This years recruiting is again just adding the icing to the cake.

DeltaBoy

A-State is doing a solid job recruiting the past 8 years or so.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.

Seminole Indian

Eight years is about right.

That they have be able to recruit as well, and win despite the coaching changes is nothing short of amazing.

What else is interesting is they just now are getting the things that conventional wisdom says you have to have to began to recruit well enough to enable you to win consistently

There are lots of coaches across the country hoping their fan base does not bring up A-State when it comes to excepting ' conventional wisdom'. Might make telling their fan bases to be patient, and keep forking over the dollars because everyone knows it takes 3-5 years for a new coach to get their program going a little more difficult. They have pretty much trampled 'conventional wisdom' into the dust in J-boro the last few years.

Seminole Indian

Getting votes in the AP, and coaches poll, along with having an off week this weekend is a big, big plus when it comes to the December signing period.

Last year they were able to add several outstanding mid-term transfer's, who joined a transfer who was sitting out. They, and a handful of impact freshmen are a big reason they are having success again.

Look for them to sign at least 4-5  this December if they can get the right ones to join a couple of high profile transfers setting out.

Seminole Indian

November 18, 2015, 10:37:17 am #16 Last Edit: November 18, 2015, 10:58:27 am by Seminole Indian
Anderson said yesterday they are going to hit the road Thursday evaluating, and recruiting, with the focus on December. Will have recruits on campus this weekend.

December again is critical for them because while they look to have above average talent returning at every position next year, they have a chance to be outstanding if they can add a few 'impact players' like they did last year.

As a result of their continued success, and especially their performance  in their three nationally televised games, they apparently are in position to do even better than last year.

Lanny

Look at jerry boatright from Marion

Al Bundy

Seminole Indian

November 23, 2015, 07:37:13 am #18 Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 11:32:58 am by Seminole Indian
You sure have a knack for finding some interesting players. Boatman, like Jackson has some nice upside but not sure they are not more 'prefered walkon'  candidates, if even that at this point in time.

Apparently there are a lot of players trying to get on the A-State coaches radar, including players that are committed to other schools, and players offered  earlier in the cycle that are trying to commit now but their commits are not being taken.

First problem for these players is the A-State coaches took a lot of early commits, which IMO was a mistake, second they are focusing on filling  some immediate needs with December JC transfers, and third the door has apparently opened for some players that had either dismissed them early on, or they were not even on the players radar for the few remaining spots.

Winning games on national tv, getting votes on the major FBS rankings, does wonders for a g5 when it comes to recruiting, and they still have a bowl game to open up even more doors.

Seminole Indian

November 26, 2015, 08:42:49 am #19 Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 09:39:50 am by Seminole Indian
Still hard to get a feel for where A-State is headed in filling out their class, but the focus does appear to be landing a few 'impact' players in December, something that is hard for G5's to do because these players are in demand. Know they would like to land at least 4-5 but would take more. They just added a commit from a  JC DE ( who was a highly recruited Tennessee commit out of HS) , and a JC WR (who was reportedly committed to Iowa State).

Did get a recommit from one of their more highly recruited HS recruits, a TE out of Louisiana.

If this year goes like recent years, several, actually most, of their current commits will pickup offers from bigger schools going forward, and they will keep most but probably not all of them.

Should again end up with one of the better G5 classes, and again add the best recruiting class to what is already the best roster of talent in the SBC, which is why they are winning, and should continue to do so.

Lanny

I own FearlessFriday and watch and call 6A football games

Al Bundy

Seminole Indian

November 26, 2015, 06:53:40 pm #21 Last Edit: November 26, 2015, 07:07:23 pm by Seminole Indian
Right, but that does not in itself explain being able to spot talent. 

Back in the day, that 'knack' was all that mattered, but not so much today. Everybody is an expert in talent, especially those that are not.

Those making money "given the people what the people want', made them experts.

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 11, 2015, 10:20:55 am
Wherever he ends-up he will help make the offense better because of his speed, and athleticism.

Most observers say he is absolutely perfect for the AB position being vacated by McKissic, is bigger and faster, and think that is were he will end-up.

IMO you can't rule out him being the QB  because  the coaches built this offense to take advantage of Knighten's unique skills and he has similar skills, and was a pretty decent QB in HS.

Think they are in the mix for a JC QB, that started out at Tennessee, and if they get him it may help determine where  Echols-Luper ends up next year.
All my TCU buddies say he is only there to be QB1 or he would have stayed and played WR at TCU.

Seminole Indian

December 02, 2015, 07:08:41 am #23 Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 07:56:34 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 01, 2015, 09:56:25 pm
All my TCU buddies say he is only there to be QB1 or he would have stayed and played WR at TCU.
Based on what has been reported that's all he has been practicing since he arrived.

They are bring in a former Tennessee QB this weekend, and if he signs that may change things, but if not I think he has a good shot at the job.

Just a bigger, faster, more athletic Knighten IMO, and is probably is a little better in the passing department.

Regardless he will play somewhere and they are going to be bigger and faster(actually a lot faster and they were plenty fast this year)  because of guys like him.

Read where they just added a commit from a former 4 star receiver to an already fast and talented group of receivers for the QB's to throw to.

Seminole Indian

December 02, 2015, 02:01:32 pm #24 Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 03:06:39 pm by Seminole Indian
Looks like they are still focusing on getting a few "impact" players on campus next semester, to join a couple that are setting out. Did the same thing last year and it turned things around for them.

This is the Rivals HS profile of the QB they are bringing in this weekend:

http://sports.yahoo.com/tcu/football/recruiting/player-Riley-Ferguson-117487

and here is the Rivals profile out of HS of the WR that committed today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/uga/football/recruiting/player-Kendall-Sanders-100333

hawginbigd1

Quote from: Seminole Indian on December 02, 2015, 02:01:32 pm
Looks like they are still focusing on getting a few "impact" players on campus next semester, to join a couple that are setting out. Did the same thing last year and it turned things around for them.

This is the Rivals HS profile of the QB they are bringing in this weekend:

http://sports.yahoo.com/tcu/football/recruiting/player-Riley-Ferguson-117487

and here is the Rivals profile out of HS of the WR that committed today:

http://sports.yahoo.com/uga/football/recruiting/player-Kendall-Sanders-100333
Everybody in the world offered these guys back in 2012, I am guessing they would both be graduate transfers?

Seminole Indian

December 02, 2015, 05:35:20 pm #26 Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:56:28 pm by Seminole Indian
Quote from: hawginbigd1 on December 02, 2015, 03:50:21 pm
Everybody in the world offered these guys back in 2012, I am guessing they would both be graduate transfers?
Mid-term JC's, and the QB is not a commit. They have him in  this weekend.

Also have a DE committed, and a couple of players sitting out who were as highly regarded as these two, and a handful of these type players every year can make a big difference difference at the G5 level, especially one as talented as A-State.

The scuttlebutt is that several others just like them want to join  their program, although some would have to sit out, so we will see.

Seminole Indian

December 02, 2015, 08:33:54 pm #27 Last Edit: December 03, 2015, 09:11:40 am by Seminole Indian
According to a poster on AStateNations.com, Anderson told the their TD Club that  Echols-Luper has requested to be moved to WR, and the 4 star WR from Texas has already signed a LOI ( I assume he was not playing football for anyone).

Said that Anderson said A-State  is primed to have a really good year next fall ( I agree with that statement), but QB is a concern.

Not bad players currently on their roster at that position but they are young and inexperienced.

Must think they have a good shot at the former Tennessee QB.

Again the scuttlebutt is that a lot of players, really good players, have approached their coaching staff about joining the program, so maybe by fall that position will be taken care of. 

DeltaBoy

AState doing great grabbing the hidden gems across the state . I really wish Dixon from Strong had came to ASU instead of LaTECH!

Seminole Indian

Think Dixon was committed to A-State a one time under Freeze but flipped when he left. Dixon, Knighten and Desmond Stegall from Searcy, all committed to Tech, but Malzahn got Knighten, and Stegall back, and almost got Dixon.

While most of their better players come from out of state, I would not call the players they get in Arkansas "hidden gems", and  IMO many of the in-state players they have been signing in recent years would have probably been Razorbacks prior to the last two coaching staffs on the hill.

You can see how well the players they had committed that flipped to the Razorbacks late have performed for them to get a feel for the quality of players they have been getting from in-state, and they get even better ones from out of state.

GolfNut57

Quote from: DeltaBoy on December 15, 2015, 01:34:57 pm
AState doing great grabbing the hidden gems across the state . I really wish Dixon from Strong had came to ASU instead of LaTECH!

Being as Dixon was from Junction City he wanted to stay closer to home and still play D1 football. Ruston was it.

Seminole Indian

January 07, 2016, 08:03:53 am #31 Last Edit: January 07, 2016, 08:27:24 am by Seminole Indian
As always it looks like it will be an interesting run the the finish as many of A-State's current commits are attracting the attention of P5 and top Tier G5 Programs. Always dicey under the best of circumstances, and it does not help that they lost their OC, and their RB Coach to Maryland.

Their top RB Commit has opened up his recruiting. He still has ASU as his favorite. Held  an offer from P5 Nebraska, but expects more (Maryland for sure).

They lost their top QB target when the 4-Star former Tennessee QB picked Memphis over ASU, and Texas.

Do have a commit from a 3 Star JC QB Justice Hansen, who is expected to enroll for the spring semester.

Here is his Rivals profile out of HS:

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansasstate/football/recruiting/player-Justice-Hansen-116372

They apparently would like at least one other transfer QB (graduate transfer or JC), and  are still recruiting others.

GolfNut57

Quote from: Seminole Indian on January 07, 2016, 08:03:53 am
As always it looks like it will be an interesting run the the finish as many of A-State's current commits are attracting the attention of P5 and top Tier G5 Programs. Always dicey under the best of circumstances, and it does not help that they lost their OC, and their RB Coach to Maryland.

Their top RB Commit has opened up his recruiting. He still has ASU as his favorite. Held  an offer from P5 Nebraska, but expects more (Maryland for sure).

They lost their top QB target when the 4-Star former Tennessee QB picked Memphis over ASU, and Texas.

Do have a commit from a 3 Star JC QB Justice Hansen, who is expected to enroll for the spring semester.

Here is his Rivals profile out of HS:

https://rivals.yahoo.com/arkansasstate/football/recruiting/player-Justice-Hansen-116372

They apparently would like at least one other transfer QB (graduate transfer or JC), and  are still recruiting others.

Here's video of Hansen from his one year in Jr College.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/377931/highlights/302688384/v2

Seminole Indian

Not knocking Knighten at all, but this is the type of QB they needed  for that offense to really click. Has all the skills, and being available for spring ball, and having three years of eligibility is a big plus.

Might impact the decision making process of the California JC prospect. Think he was scheduled to visit in a couple of weeks. He picked up several offers, including an SEC offer recently, so will have to see.

DeltaBoy

Quote from: GolfNut57 on December 15, 2015, 07:17:37 pm
Being as Dixon was from Junction City he wanted to stay closer to home and still play D1 football. Ruston was it.

Nope he played at Strong and took them to a state title his SR Year 2011.

Rooka

Quote from: DeltaBoy on January 07, 2016, 01:18:54 pm
Nope he played at Strong and took them to a state title his SR Year 2011.
This is correct. Still was closer for him to go to LaTech than ASU though.

Seminole Indian

January 08, 2016, 10:05:02 pm #36 Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 07:46:54 am by Seminole Indian
Quote from: GolfNut57 on January 07, 2016, 09:14:23 am
Here's video of Hansen from his one year in Jr College.

http://www.hudl.com/athlete/377931/highlights/302688384/v2
Saw a tweet by the A-State HC saying  he has signed his LOI.

Has three years of eligibility, plus will be there during spring so that is a very big pickup for the Wolves.

Little more info:

http://www.scout.com/college/oklahoma/story/1630286-justice-hansen-finds-new-home

As far as the decommit of their top RB Commit I found this on Howlyes.com, so it looks like it was fallout from losing their RB Coach:

http://www.ardmoreite.com/article/20160108/SPORTS/160109686

He is a player that could contribute next year but if they lose him they apparently have several big-time RB's expressing interest in joining their program as transfers.

asuato

Quote from: Seminole Indian on November 11, 2015, 05:51:00 am
Forgot about Ferguson, and he may be the biggest loss. Had a great year thus far.

Also lose star CB  Rocky Hayes (5‐11, 182), and DT Robert Mondie (6‐2, 321) the transfer from UAB is another outstanding player graduating I failed to mention. Had a great year.

They return every one else on the interior DL, and add Alabama transfer Dee Liner and red-shirts E.J. Sutton,and  Javier Carbonell, so they should be even better.

The also return all their DE's other than Stone, and add highly touted RS T.J. Harris to the mix, and they just got a commitment from former Tennessee signee Joe Thomas, so I expect they will probably be stronger up front next year, and they were outstanding this year.

Robert Mondie may not be done....

Seminole Indian

Apparently the paper work is already in front of the NCAA , and Anderson feels he has a good shot at getting a waver. They are stacked in the DL and I don't think they plan on signing a DL this signing period.

A-State picked up three pretty nice commits this weekend, and as usual the dash to signing day will be interesting to say the least. Many of their commits, probably most,  will pick up other offers over the ext few days.

The good thing is, like last year, they have really addressed their critical recruiting needs for next year with their mid-year guys, so February is just icing on the cake for down the road. Their ability to address immediate needs  with high quality mid-terms is something that separates them from any coaching staff that has been at A-State.

DeltaBoy

Hope that State has a great day Wed.

hoghappy

Me too. Love what the Red Wolves have done lately. Help get to make Arkansas Proud.

Seminole Indian

They should end up with one of, if not the best SBC classes, and they will join the best roster of talent in the SBC, and one of the best in G5 for that matter, but it is a long time to tomorrow.

They still have a couple of spots open, and may sign a couple of non-qualifiers just to establish a relationship.   

The good thing for them is that they have absolutely knocked it out of the park with transfers, and mid-year recruits, and they return most of their 2-deep from last year. They should be loaded for 2016.

Lanny

I would like to see the list if you can post it here.

Al Bundy

Seminole Indian

February 03, 2016, 11:29:07 am #43 Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 01:16:00 pm by Seminole Indian
Looks like they have finished for the day.

Lost a DE to UCF, an OL to USA, and flipped a LB from USM.

Here is their official release:

http://www.astateredwolves.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=7200&ATCLID=210680748

These are  probably not the last additions to this eclectic class of transfers, grey-shirts, blue-shirts, mid-term, and traditional signees. While there are probably not enough traditional signees for this class to be that highly ranked by the recruiting services, my bet is when people see the 2016 team they will agree that this is the best influx of talent in the history of A-State football.

DeltaBoy

The Tribe signed a solid class.

Seminole Indian

February 03, 2016, 01:56:38 pm #45 Last Edit: February 03, 2016, 02:48:32 pm by Seminole Indian
Not sure most really grasp what that coaching staff is up to over there.

Lets start with the fact they had a small senior class this past year, and return most of the players that contributed to that 9-4 record. 

Now add the fact that they were able to sit aside the best group of red-shirts in school history, (shown here with their 247 composite star rankings):

**DE, TJ Harris
***DT, Javier Carbonell
***RB, Jamal Jones
**LB, Kirk Louis
***LB, Avery Johnson
***OL, Dalton Ford
***OL, Cam Davis
***QB, D.J. Pearson
***WR, Omar Bayless
**WR, Jaylon Marshall
*** OL, Ben Benton

This is a very, very talented group of players by G5 standards, and when added to what is returning, would IMO be the best team in the SBC next year ................by far.

When you add in the players they are announcing today( excluding blue-shirts, and the new additions that signed knowing they are grey-shirts next year), the influx of new talent to what was already the best talent in the SBC, is a game changer.

Look for them to add a couple of additions  prior to the start of fall camp, and 2016 could be a special season for A-State football.

DeltaBoy

Just read an article that stated A-State using a free agent approach to getting players.

Seminole Indian

I call it the Trooper Taylor effect, and the truth is he is a big reason they have had success landing these 'free agents', and they are game changers for them.

DeltaBoy

It should help State keep moving forward.

Seminole Indian

February 05, 2016, 08:49:09 am #49 Last Edit: February 05, 2016, 09:00:59 am by Seminole Indian
The transfers, and mid-term additions make this an outstanding class, although many are not included in the class rankings.

They were all brought in to compete for a starting spot, and make this team better, and are absolutely outstanding athletes. Even better than last years group that helped the team go from 7 wins to 9 wins, and these guys have the talent to help increase the win total again this year.

Other than the two JC's, Wednesday's additions, while a solid group by G5 standards,  are not being counted on  to make an impact next year, and most should red-shirt.

JC RB Armond Weh-Weh, is a 220lb back with 4.4 speed, and will have a shot at starting.

JC CB Landon James-Wilson, is expected to push for pt at corner.

As far as the freshmen, former Razorback Bobby Joe Edmonds son, BJ Edwards, is big, fast and talented, and could earn pt at the nickle or safety spot.

Safety Ben Sukut is talented  enough to earn pt at safety.

LB Vada King, has the tangibles to play as a true.