Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

An amazing recap of arguably our troops' finest hour

Started by RazorbackJAC, August 02, 2011, 10:21:41 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RazorbackJAC

Arkansas Football.  It's the players running through the "A".  It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "Woo Pig Sooie!"  It's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other.  Those select few who put on the jersey are ... chosen.  They wear the colors.  They pay the price, and they succeed.  They are exceptional.  They are RAZORBACKS!

TeufelHog

August 05, 2011, 10:10:31 pm #1 Last Edit: August 05, 2011, 10:18:28 pm by TeufelHog
Not even close to our "troops finest hour."  Those involved would agree.

"According to the United States Navy "the 36-day (Iwo Jima) assault resulted in more than 26,000 American casualties, including 6,800 dead."[13] To put that into context, the 82-day Battle of Okinawa lasted from early April until mid-June 1945 and U.S. (5 Army and 2 Marine Corps Divisions) casualties were over 62,000 of whom over 12,000 were killed or missing, while the Battle of the Bulge lasted 40 days (16 Dec 44 – 25 Jan 45) with almost 90,000 U.S. casualties of; 19,000 killed, 47,500 wounded, and 23,000 captured or missing."  Wikipedia

APPROACHING 10 YEARS in Iraq and Afghanistan our casualties don't even come close to those numbers.  The fact that it took almost 10 years to find/kill Osama bin Laden is an embarassment.  Not a finest hour. 

RazorbackJAC

Since I have never served, TH, I'll simply have to defer to you. Even if it wasn't our "finest hour", it was still an awesome read.
Arkansas Football.  It's the players running through the "A".  It's more than 70,000 fans calling, "Woo Pig Sooie!"  It's the state of Arkansas banding together behind one team and a mascot like no other.  Those select few who put on the jersey are ... chosen.  They wear the colors.  They pay the price, and they succeed.  They are exceptional.  They are RAZORBACKS!

1CavHog

I think both of you are right. In respect to D-Day, Okinawa, and other massive battles in WWI / WWII this does not compare in terms of bravery and casualties.

In terms of significance to a generation though the killing of Bin Laden is hard to match. 9/11 was the defining moment of our generation, it changed our entire way of life. Finally getting Bin Laden was a monumental moment.

1CavHog

Also it is being reported 23 Navy SEALS were among the 31 killed this morning when a Chinook was shot down in Afghanistan. RIP.