Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Georgia Southern

Started by SquidBilly, October 24, 2017, 11:47:00 am

Previous topic - Next topic

SquidBilly

They fired their coach mid season after a very embarassing loss to UMass.  Why? Because they have a standard that their football team is held to and the administration was willing to act when the coach fell short.  We need an administration willing to do the same or they are sending a message that their standards for the program are much lower than ours.  And if that is the case they need to make it clear to the fans so that we can then decide whether or not we want to continue to support them.

hawg1221

The only problem with that example is there's a lot less money involved.

31to6

Quote from: hawg1221 on October 24, 2017, 12:51:30 pm
The only problem with that example is there's a lot less money involved.
Except that we generate more than 15x the profits they do. Money is all relative.

The $900k buyout they have to pay is actually more significant impact to their profitability than CBB's $5-10M.

Redhogs

Quote from: 31to6 on October 24, 2017, 01:01:25 pm
Except that we generate more than 15x the profits they do. Money is all relative.

The $900k buyout they have to pay is actually more significant impact to their profitability than CBB's $5-10M.
Save your breath..losers gonna make excuses for losers....it's like the plague, all over this board.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Redhogs on October 24, 2017, 01:07:09 pm
Save your breath..losers gonna make excuses for losers....it's like the plague, all over this board.
Why is he a loser?  Oh, bc someone pointed out a logical part of this equation and that doesn't fit with the "I hate everything Bert" mantra going arnd?  Stay classy

SquidBilly

I don't hate Bret and have never called him Bert, ever.  However it needs to be made clear that the team isn't living up to the standards for Arkansas football and the only way really to do that is a change at the top.  If Georgia Southern can send that message then we should be able to as well.  The money will be the same whether we do it now or at the end of the year, but the message sent from the admin will be much different. 

draftkings33

Their old coach went to Tulane.  One of the best coaches in the nation

SquidBilly

Quote from: The ColonelHog on October 24, 2017, 01:40:31 pm
I don't care what Ga Southern did.  Are you people crazy?  What is there to salvage this season?  Firing BB today won't change the arc of this team to go on a miraculous winning streak to make a bowl under an interim..  it won't help recruiting.  It won't cut the price of what BB will receive.  So what's the purpose?  This is just waaay out there silliness!  He will be gone when the season ends.  That's good enough for me.

It's not about any of that.  Its about sending a message to the fanbase that the administration has high expectations for the program and are committed to delivering that.  As a fan I have been through all of the coaches from Broyles, Holtz, Hatfield, through today.  One constant, the fans are still here but we won't be if a message is sent that winning doean't matter anymore.

Ramtough

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 24, 2017, 01:45:45 pm
It's not about any of that.  Its about sending a message to the fanbase that the administration has high expectations for the program and are committed to delivering that.  As a fan I have been through all of the coaches from Broyles, Holtz, Hatfield, through today.  One constant, the fans are still here but we won't be if a message is sent that winning doean't matter anymore.
The fans will be there no matter what and they know it. That's why BB is still standing on the sidelines. 70,000 last Saturday to watch the worst D1 team in the state. Lol

jkstock04

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 24, 2017, 01:40:42 pm
I don't hate Bret and have never called him Bert, ever.  However it needs to be made clear that the team isn't living up to the standards for Arkansas football and the only way really to do that is a change at the top.  If Georgia Southern can send that message then we should be able to as well.  The money will be the same whether we do it now or at the end of the year, but the message sent from the admin will be much different. 
You just now catching on to this? Wins and losses are the last thing on our administrations minds.
Thanks for the F Shack. 

Love,

Dirty Mike and the Boys

Redhogs

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 24, 2017, 01:26:18 pm
Why is he a loser?  Oh, bc someone pointed out a logical part of this equation and that doesn't fit with the "I hate everything Bert" mantra going arnd?  Stay classy
Ah you got me, yes I do hate everything Bert when it comes to where the football program is now...see how easy that was. Class all the way. And I never called him a loser...not even close, reading comprehension is not your friend.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

SquidBilly

Quote from: Ramtough on October 24, 2017, 01:54:47 pm
The fans will be there no matter what and they know it. That's why BB is still standing on the sidelines. 70,000 last Saturday to watch the worst D1 team in the state. Lol

Don't bet on it.  As the newer generations come along they have many more choices on how to spend their time and money.  Telling the fans that mediocrity or worse is acceptable will not be tolerated as much.

Sundog

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 24, 2017, 01:26:18 pm

OMG you just proved Redhog's very point! 

JaketheSnake

Quote from: Redhogs on October 24, 2017, 01:07:09 pm
Hmm

Quote from: Redhogs on October 24, 2017, 02:18:04 pm
Ah you got me, yes I do hate everything Bert when it comes to where the football program is now...see how easy that was. Class all the way. And I never called him a loser...not even close, reading comprehension is not your friend.
Looks above like you are calling the poster you responded to a loser for stating the money situation is different. If I read that wrong, I apologize

Quote from: Sundog on October 24, 2017, 02:46:25 pm
OMG you just proved Redhog's very point! 
That losers make excuses for losers?  You seriously want to say that Georgia Southern is on the same playing field as the U of A? 

We all know BB needs to go, but common sense seems to have flown out the window a long time ago around here.

31to6

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 24, 2017, 04:38:30 pm
Looks above like you are calling the poster you responded to a loser for stating the money situation is different. If I read that wrong, I apologize
I did not respond because I presumed that he was in basic agreement with my comments and was calling the "poor little Arkan-saw" fans losers.

Bonehog

Just putting it out there but is it possible that players coming up these days don't have as much dedication to the state they play in than in the past?  Is it possible the more liberal mindset that seems to be pushing players away from schools like AR due to perception of the state?  I have no proof of any of this but something has changed.
If you look at your reflection at the bottom of the well
What you see is only on the surface
When you try to see the meaning, hidden underneath
The measure of the depth can be deceiving
The bottom has a rocky reputation!
                      Joe Walsh

East Clintwood

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 24, 2017, 01:45:45 pm

But the athletic director does not have high expectations for the program and he's just fine with where we are.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

JaketheSnake

Quote from: 31to6 link=topic=645131.msg11062915#msg11062915 http://savannahnow.com/blog/nathan-deen/2017-08-24/what-georgia-southern-making-play-auburn-and-other-power-5-teamsdate=1508904924
I did not respond because I presumed that he was in basic agreement with my comments and was calling the "poor little Arkan-saw" fans losers.
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/06/27/Colleges/Arkansas-Athletics.aspx?

http://savannahnow.com/blog/nathan-deen/2017-08-24/what-georgia-southern-making-play-auburn-and-other-power-5-teams

Arkansas' total athletic budget va Georgia Southern.  I'm assuming GS' budget is total, though the article doesn't make it clear if it's football only or total. 

Looks to be GS' budget is 30% of UA's budget, so as a percentage the GS buyout was much cheaper than UA's at $5.8 million. 

Pork Twain

So you are saying we should follow the path of Georgia Southern?  Here is my question.  What does firing CBB now do that doing so after 1 Jan will not do?  I will tell you what waiting till after 1 Jan will do, save the university millions.  Firing him at this point is not going to turn this around and help us to win it all
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

31to6

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 25, 2017, 06:47:46 am
http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Daily/Issues/2016/06/27/Colleges/Arkansas-Athletics.aspx?

http://savannahnow.com/blog/nathan-deen/2017-08-24/what-georgia-southern-making-play-auburn-and-other-power-5-teams

Arkansas' total athletic budget va Georgia Southern.  I'm assuming GS' budget is total, though the article doesn't make it clear if it's football only or total. 

Looks to be GS' budget is 30% of UA's budget, so as a percentage the GS buyout was much cheaper than UA's at $5.8 million. 
I was comparing the gross profit of each program (revenue - expenses).

In 2015-2016 the GSU program netted about $1.2M. We netted about $19M.

eaglehog

They were winless. It wasn't just the UMass loss.

JaketheSnake

Quote from: 31to6 on October 25, 2017, 08:13:26 am
I was comparing the gross profit of each program (revenue - expenses).

In 2015-2016 the GSU program netted about $1.2M. We netted about $19M.

Didnt see those numbers.  Care to link?  Not calling you a liar, just enjoy the research.

31to6

Quote from: JaketheSnake on October 25, 2017, 08:52:46 pm
Didnt see those numbers.  Care to link?  Not calling you a liar, just enjoy the research.
Here is a list I found for the 2015-2016 season: http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

JaketheSnake

parallaxpig

LSU fired Miles mid season. Did that work out for them. Don't think so. Eddie O will never take them to promise land.
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

31to6

Quote from: parallaxpig on October 26, 2017, 05:16:49 pm
LSU fired Miles mid season. Did that work out for them. Don't think so. Eddie O will never take them to promise land.
That's why you don't make an emotional choice in interim HC.

HogPharmer

Quote from: parallaxpig on October 26, 2017, 05:16:49 pm

Well they did kick our ass
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: Bret Squealema on October 24, 2017, 01:40:42 pm

What it does is show your potential candidates what you expectations are, and that winning is important.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

HardCore

Quote from: jkstock04 on October 24, 2017, 02:04:09 pm
You just now catching on to this? Wins and losses are the last thing on our administrations minds.

There is the problem.  Expectations begin at the Top.  If the head of the department does not have those expectations, that filters down to the coaches, which in-turn, filters down to the players.  It is clear as glass seeing that in this Admin.
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

Ex-Trumpet

I don't care what Ga Southern did.  Are you people crazy?  What is there to salvage this season?  Firing BB today won't change the arc of this team to go on a miraculous winning streak to make a bowl under an interim..  it won't help recruiting.  It won't cut the price of what BB will receive.  So what's the purpose?  This is just waaay out there silliness!  He will be gone when the season ends.  That's good enough for me.

You only assume he will be gone at the end of the season.  Nothing from the admin has given me any reason to believe next year will be any different.

That's the risk by not firing during midyear and hiring an interim.  At least with that there's hope for next year.  The way JL is doing it?  Who really knows?!?!  And apathy sets in...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

rljjr

Quote from: Ex-Trumpet on October 27, 2017, 09:19:19 am
You only assume he will be gone at the end of the season.  Nothing from the admin has given me any reason to believe next year will be any different.

That's the risk by not firing during midyear and hiring an interim.  At least with that there's hope for next year.  The way JL is doing it?  Who really knows?!?!  And apathy sets in...

You still have scotch and bourbon.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: rljjr on October 27, 2017, 09:23:07 am
You still have scotch and bourbon.

I need to replenish after last weekend!!
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

GuvHog

I don’t care what Ga Southern did.  Are you people crazy?  What is there to salvage this season?  Firing BB today won’t change the arc of this team to go on a miraculous winning streak to make a bowl under an interim..  it won’t help recruiting.  It won’t cut the price of what BB will receive.  So what’s the purpose?  This is just waaay out there silliness!  He will be gone when the season ends.  That’s good enough for me.

No, they aren't crazy. Firing CBB now would give the Athletic department a head start on looking for a new HC and with the number of Job openings that are likely to occur at the end of the season, a head start is very important.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HotlantaHog

Middle of the season fires typically are a very bad idea.

You have to put someone else in charge-- an assistant or coordinator. If you do, you have to give them a legitimate shot at the job if they turn things around. So you could well end up with Ed Orgeron after a successful tryout. (Or I should point out Dabo Swinney at Clemson ended up with his job this way -- which is very much the exception to the rule.)

I don't know Arkansas's assistants well enough to be certain, but my guess is we really don't want to promote any of them to head coach. So unless the head coach walks away in disgust a la Steve Spurrier at South Carolina, you muddle through and decide at the end of the season to make change if one is needed.

You can't interview anyone or install anyone who is not currently employed (a la Les Miles) until the end of the season anyway.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 27, 2017, 09:55:32 am

You have to put someone else in charge-- an assistant or coordinator. If you do, you have to give them a legitimate shot at the job if they turn things around. So you could well end up with Ed Orgeron after a successful tryout. (Or I should point out Dabo Swinney at Clemson ended up with his job this way -- which is very much the exception to the rule.)

I don't know Arkansas's assistants well enough to be certain, but my guess is we really don't want to promote any of them to head coach. So unless the head coach walks away in disgust a la Steve Spurrier at South Carolina, you muddle through and decide at the end of the season to make change if one is needed.

You can't interview anyone or install anyone who is not currently employed (a la Les Miles) until the end of the season anyway.

I'm not sure that it's typically a bad idea.  Certainly sometimes it is.

If ever there was a time to do it this was the year.  After last year's 2nd half collapses, promises of being better and failing, I could have supported a mid-season firing.

And, the fanbase has no enthusiasm because we are watching a horrible product (those that are still watching) with very little hope that things are going to be different next year.  If fact, there's reason to believe that CBB might be back.

GuvHog

Quote from: HotlantaHog on October 27, 2017, 09:55:32 am

No, they don't have to give an interim coach promoted from the staff a chance to turn things around.

Ed Orgeron got the LSU job because LSU put all their eggs in one basket when they went after Hermann and didn't consider anyone else. When Texas stole their basket of eggs, they were left with their faces hanging out and were forced to hire Orgeron by default.

Once a head coach is terminated, they can interview anyone who is not currently coaching or even interview coordinators if they want to.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

HotlantaHog

Quote from: GuvHog on October 27, 2017, 10:05:49 am
No, they don't have to give an interim coach promoted from the staff a chance to turn things around.

Ed Orgeron got the LSU job because LSU put all their eggs in one basket when they went after Hermann and didn't consider anyone else. When Texas stole their basket of eggs, they were left with their faces hanging out and were forced to hire Orgeron by default.

Once a head coach is terminated, they can interview anyone who is not currently coaching or even interview coordinators if they want to.
If they fire Bret, someone is going to be interim coach. If that interim coach does an amazing job, he will be considered especially if Plan A and Plan B fall through .... That is reality of how hiring interim coaches works. It's not bad if your guy is an underappreciated star.