Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Does Brent Venables have Texas recruiting ties???????

Started by Tweeter, October 25, 2017, 07:58:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Tweeter

I'm not up to speed on him so forgive me if this has been asked.  I like he's a defensive guy and seems like he would be a good fit

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Tweeter on October 25, 2017, 07:58:08 pm
I'm not up to speed on him so forgive me if this has been asked.  I like he's a defensive guy and seems like he would be a good fit

Really?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brent_Venables
Go Hogs Go!

EastexHawg

He spent 12 years at Oklahoma and recruiting Texas is the Sooners' life blood.

factchecker

Anybody who has coached for Oklahoma is going to have ties in Texas.

However, the key is to hire assistant coaches with connections.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

GoHogs1091

After the following link loads, scroll down to see who Venables out-recruited for the following player.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2010/corey-nelson-15367

The above link may be slow to load.

rhames

"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

PharmacistHog

Quote from: GA reddiehog on May 18, 2019, 12:36:02 pm<br />Hogs have hit a wall at the wrong time of the season.  I will go on record now and say they may not even get out of their regional.  The hitting has been carrying them with a few good pitching outings but they just don't have the reliable pitching they need to get back to the CWS.<br />
Quote from: GA reddiehog on April 16, 2024, 07:44:38 pmPitching over hyped and hitting nonexistent is going to make for several loses here on out. Maybe it will not be as bad as the BB team. Lack of hitting has been a problem for many moons.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 25, 2017, 08:06:19 pm
WHERE IS GUV

I don't need to respond because the other posters have pretty well covered it.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

rhames

Quote from: GuvHog on October 25, 2017, 08:18:05 pm
I don't need to respond because the other posters have pretty well covered it.

I'm confused. Are you indeed writing a children's book?
"I'm too drunk to taste this chicken"

"Can we get some waffles after we get some ass?" - Aunt Tiffany Freeman

Quote from: Hamdsome 1 on September 05, 2023, 06:43:26 pmSTHU. I get in more steps per day, at work, than you could possibly fathom.
The only down time my legs see is when seated in 1st Class.

GuvHog

Quote from: rhames on October 25, 2017, 08:21:29 pm

I'm confused. Are you indeed writing a children's book?

No, Pharm was just having a little fun at my expense.

Pigstie

He's not going anywhere. Waiting out his time to take over Clemson when Swinney takes over Alabama.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

GoHogs1091

Quote from: Pigstie on October 25, 2017, 08:58:44 pm
He's not going anywhere. Waiting out his time to take over Clemson when Swinney takes over Alabama.

Either that, or he becomes Oklahoma's next Head Coach when Lincoln Riley flames out (Riley is already showing a possible future flame-out--a loss at home to an unranked Iowa State team and a very close win against a bad Baylor team).

MikePiazza

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2017, 09:13:11 pm
Either that, or he becomes Oklahoma's next Head Coach when Lincoln Riley flames out (Riley is already showing a possible future flame-out--a loss at home to an unranked Iowa State team and a very close win against a bad Baylor team).

The same Iowa State team who is now ranked (based solely on the fact it beat OU) and Baylor is horrible but it's trying to play spoiler to everyone. Riley may ultimately flame out but beating Ohio State on the road and figuring out how to not lose the Texas game (like Stoops had done a couple of times the last couple of years) is pretty solid, if you ask me.
Identity theft is not a joke, Jim. Millions of families suffer every year.

Pigstie

Quote from: GoHogs1091 on October 25, 2017, 09:13:11 pm
OU's defensive issue will end after this year. It was agreed that Stoops would stay as DC for one year after his brother retired. Riley will get his own guy next season.
The views and opinions of this poster are personal only, and are not one of a professional coach or X Box player.  Beware the Mall Cop.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pigstie on October 25, 2017, 08:58:44 pm

I don't think so. Saban is King at Bama so he'll likely be allowed to hand pick his successor from his own staff.

RazorPiggie

I don't care where the HC is from and it really doesn't matter all the much. The HC needs to be the closer. The assistants need to be the ones that have the ties to Texas, Louisiana, and the rest of the south.

Pigstie

Quote from: GuvHog on October 26, 2017, 11:23:53 am
I don't think so. Saban is King at Bama so he'll likely be allowed to hand pick his successor from his own staff.
You are somewhat correct. He is king, and he is hand picking, and he has already picked Dabo.

GuvHog

Quote from: Pigstie on October 26, 2017, 12:37:28 pm
You are somewhat correct. He is king, and he is hand picking, and he has already picked Dabo.

No, Saban wouldn't do that. That would be a massive insult to his assistant coaches.

Pigstie

GuvHog

Quote from: Pigstie on October 26, 2017, 08:56:08 pm
Think what you want. It's been done.

No it hasn't. Nick Saban is loyal to his assistants.

Pig in the Pokey

You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

The NewEra

Quote from: MikePiazza on October 25, 2017, 09:26:30 pm
The same Iowa State team who is now ranked (based solely on the fact it beat OU) and Baylor is horrible but it's trying to play spoiler to everyone. Riley may ultimately flame out but beating Ohio State on the road and figuring out how to not lose the Texas game (like Stoops had done a couple of times the last couple of years) is pretty solid, if you ask me.

We'll get a better idea of just how good Iowa State is after this weekend.

NaturalStateReb

"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

The NewEra

Quote from: Pigstie on October 26, 2017, 08:56:08 pm
Think what you want. It's been done.

This is what I heard also. 

Who makes more sense?  Dabo who was raised in Alabama, played ball there, coached under Saban, went on to win a NC on his own at Clemson or someone unproven as a head coach on Saban's staff.  Frankly, Bama would be crazy not to bring him home when Nick retires.

Coach Riley at OU is a rookie but his largest problem is one that most coaches have and that is being able to keep the minds of the troops on the task ahead and how great it really is.  First off, OU is not as good as hyped, never has been this season and is not likely to rise to the level the media has put them at.  Baker Mayfield, alone, does not make a team.  Mayfield's energy makes OU a 2 win better team than they are.  Losing to an inferior team and I didn't say a bad team, I said inferior, happens when you are not mentally ready to play.  Ask Gundy over at OSU what can happen when a determined and mentally tough, but inferior TCU comes calling and you don't have your troops mentally ready to play.

Venables is very attractive as our next HC but I do wonder why he hasn't been taken way before now.  He has been in coaching at some level since 1993 and no takers??

GuvHog

Quote from: 12247 on October 27, 2017, 09:40:55 am
Coach Riley at OU is a rookie but his largest problem is one that most coaches have and that is being able to keep the minds of the troops on the task ahead and how great it really is.  First off, OU is not as good as hyped, never has been this season and is not likely to rise to the level the media has put them at.  Baker Mayfield, alone, does not make a team.  Mayfield's energy makes OU a 2 win better team than they are.  Losing to an inferior team and I didn't say a bad team, I said inferior, happens when you are not mentally ready to play.  Ask Gundy over at OSU what can happen when a determined and mentally tough, but inferior TCU comes calling and you don't have your troops mentally ready to play.

Venables is very attractive as our next HC but I do wonder why he hasn't been taken way before now.  He has been in coaching at some level since 1993 and no takers??

TCU is not inferior to OSU and they have proven it. They are currently #4 nationally and unless they lose, they are a shoe in for the National Championship playoffs.