Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I'm starting to despise these wagers that cost less than $1

Started by songofthesword, August 14, 2013, 02:52:12 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

songofthesword

It's really defeating the purpose of the wager. If I wanted to win $300 bucks I would play an exacta. The odds of you hitting a $300 exacta and the odds of you hitting a $300 superfecta with a 3 dollar ticket are roughly the same so what's the freaking point?

IF I am playing a suerfecta dammit I want to hit 5 figures. That's the whole point. ]

That was a very stupid and short term decision whoever thought this was a good idea.

I am pretty much a win wager guy but I usaed to always dabble with exotics for shits and giggles and i don't even do that anymore because it's not worth it. I once won $5700 on a trifecta at ellis park. You can't do that today. This was pre $.10/.50 cent wager. Today that would have been a 60 dollar hit.

HawgWild

A couple of things SOS: 1) You can always increase the amount of your wager to give you the pay off level you desire, and 2) back in the day Oaklawn Park took nothing but WPS and the Daily Double.

Who do you like in the Travers?

Horsesrus

Some appreciate the lower minimums to avoid W2-G forms.  You can still bet $3 exactas but if you want to avoid tax paperwork, placing 6 .50 exactas can avoid that in some cases.   With the advent of online wagering I'd be curious to know if the ADW companies accumulate like wagers and still send a W2-G when the sum of the wins would require one.  On track, unless you cash them together and admit to it, there is no paper trail if you split up wagers to avoid the $602 and 300-1 threshold for a W2-G.

Of course everyone reports every dollar won on their taxes whether it generates a W2-G or not ;)

jdelo77

0.50 cent exactas ? who offers that ? I can  see what SOS is saying and sometimes there is now way around it, its smarter to bet more , some times its smarter to bet less, what pisses me off is 300-1 and BAM they take taxes, I hit a $345 dollar exacta playing Santa Anita ( yes it was a $1 EX ) but it was just for fun , never thought it would hit now i get taxed on it !

songofthesword

i'm not even talking about extas i'm talking about tris and superfectas and pick5's and stuff. dammit if i actually hit a trifecta i want to walk out with some stacks lol that's the point of making the bet.

they are taking away the ability to hit a real lick. I mean, my normal wager per race is between 100-200 per race to win.  but i mean, that's my real money. i also have a play fund money and for my play fun, when i'm just playing around, i want the ability to make a 5 dollar wager and win 5-10 grand on something. you can't do that anymore.

i remember when i was little my dad took me to the track and made like a 10 dollar trifecta wager on a race and won like 2200 dollars and everyone was all happy and we went to red lobster, etc lol. now you cant' do that anymore. now everyone has hit the same tri because everyone can spread because it's just 50 cents instead of 1-2 dollars.

that's what makes gamblers right there.

mckinneyhog5

Quote from: songofthesword on August 15, 2013, 04:04:41 pm
i'm not even talking about extas i'm talking about tris and superfectas and pick5's and stuff. dammit if i actually hit a trifecta i want to walk out with some stacks lol that's the point of making the bet.

they are taking away the ability to hit a real lick. I mean, my normal wager per race is between 100-200 per race to win.  but i mean, that's my real money. i also have a play fund money and for my play fun, when i'm just playing around, i want the ability to make a 5 dollar wager and win 5-10 grand on something. you can't do that anymore.

i remember when i was little my dad took me to the track and made like a 10 dollar trifecta wager on a race and won like 2200 dollars and everyone was all happy and we went to red lobster, etc lol. now you cant' do that anymore. now everyone has hit the same tri because everyone can spread because it's just 50 cents instead of 1-2 dollars.

that's what makes gamblers right there.
Agreed, it gives betters more selections for a lesser price and allows more people to hit it thus decreasing the takeout on the more expensive $2.00 wager.  I can't stand .50 pick fours.  On the other hand it does generate more action now.
Quote from: mckinneyhog5 on April 07, 2019, 10:29:55 pmGuys, we have hired the BEST coach that we could have hired. Musselman is gonna rock it here like we haven't seen since the early 90's. Just sit back and watch it unfold! We WILL be a nationally recognized program again soon.

holeinthewall

Part of it is the lower wagers. Part is the casual money players don't play as much. Pick 4 used to pay very nice now unless you catch a bomb or a sequence of 10-1+ horses they don't pay crap. I can remember twice hitting $1 Pick 4's that paid around $400 and not one horse being over 5-1. Now that won't get you back $100.

I have almost quit playing entirely for the very reason accept for the win wagers you can't get fair paybacks.