Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB article

Started by RebHog, January 29, 2018, 02:47:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 30, 2018, 11:24:24 am
Poor, pitiful excuse(s). Okay, even if one "buys" the fact the CBB didn't INITIALLY understand/prepare for the speed and style play by the SEC, we're to believe that he was still searching and trying to figure it out after five years ??? If that's indeed the case then I'm not sure which is more embarrassing/condemning: his continued inability to understand the different environment and challenges presented by the league or his apparent unwillingness or inability to recruit, coach, and otherwise deal with those issues. In either case he's NOT presented his own case in the best of light(s). Sometimes the wisest thing to do is to refrain from opening your mouth and causing your own ignorance/shortcomings to show through for all the world to see.  :-X :-X :-X

Halfway would have been in the 2015 season.  Mistakes made early contributed to what we saw in season 5. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: HeathWimp on January 30, 2018, 09:01:19 am
I find it hard to believe that he has had offers from NFL teams to work as an assistant....
i was thinking the same thing. they were probably Quality control or analyst positions.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 30, 2018, 11:29:18 am
So is your ability to miss the point.
point was, what, how contracts work? Of course he has to take one of the jobs he was offered, or else pay a penalty on what he is owed by us. I figured it was a prerequisite to contributing to this conversation.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 30, 2018, 11:30:03 am
Halfway would have been in the 2015 season.  Mistakes made early contributed to what we saw in season 5.
I'm trying to give CBB the benefit of the doubt as he seemed to still not understand or comprehend the issues he was facing even after all that time. I mean it was obvious that in addition to all the other issues he was facing he couldn't even make in game adjustments. And how many times did we hear the tired old "well we had a great week of practice after virtually every defeat" ??? I kept wondering and hoping we'd never see the on the field results from a BAD week of practice...yikes >:( :o

IronHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 30, 2018, 09:51:29 am
Petrino did beat LSU and would have again just as Bielema did.

No sign Petrino was beating Bama anytime soon.  He had one great half against them in 4 games.  Otherwise, Saban's defense closed down the field, punished our receivers on the short crossing routes we ran because we couldn't protect the qb to the point our wr's had alligator arms and shut down our offense.  We didn't threaten them vertically whatsover. 

Childs could and did get verticle on Bama

The problem was and is the double standard that allows the Bama secondary to mug less physical receivers
Iron sharpens iron, So one man sharpens another.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: IronHog on January 30, 2018, 11:51:25 am

Childs could and did get verticle on Bama

The problem was and is the double standard that allows the Bama secondary to mug less physical receivers

One catch of 31 yards in the first half of the 2010 game.  The only half where Petrino's offense had any success vs Bama. 

2 catches for 11 yards as a Fr
4 catches 60 yards and a TD as a So in a 35-7 loss, longest catch 20 yards
3 catches for 44 yards as a Jr vs Bama, longest catch 31 yards in the first half,
2 catches for 17 yards as a Sr

11 catches 132 yards 1 TD long of 31 yards in 4 games

Yes Bama gets away with a lot of physical contact.  Petrino hadn't figured out how to beat it. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Vantage 8 dude on January 30, 2018, 11:42:03 am
I'm trying to give CBB the benefit of the doubt as he seemed to still not understand or comprehend the issues he was facing even after all that time. I mean it was obvious that in addition to all the other issues he was facing he couldn't even make in game adjustments. And how many times did we hear the tired old "well we had a great week of practice after virtually every defeat" ??? I kept wondering and hoping we'd never see the on the field results from a BAD week of practice...yikes >:( :o

I think we did some good prep.  We had some good starts.  Played with some better teams well into games.  Other times it was awful.  You are correct it was the adjustments where he failed.  He and his staff couldn't figure out how to adjust when the opponent did.  Early on, you could attribute some of it to a lack of options in terms of personnel. 

MultipleScoreGasms

Quote from: Redhogs on January 30, 2018, 08:29:31 am
No ...we did NOT pay market value for those RESULTS. We paid JLS less than #1 mil a year and got the SAME results...see how that garbage works.

When you hire someone, you pay market value based on past performance, and what you believe they can do.  Unless you can see into the future, you don't know the final results at the negotiation table.  The same will be the case for CCM, and every coach that follows.  Until the time when quality coaches accept jobs with pay scales based on a "per win" metric, that market will continue.  Simple "supply & demand."  So yes, I see how it works.

Russ22

Quote from: MultipleScoreGasms on January 30, 2018, 12:09:17 pm
When you hire someone, you pay market value based on past performance, and what you believe they can do.  Unless you can see into the future, you don't know the final results at the negotiation table.  The same will be the case for CCM, and every coach that follows.  Until the time when quality coaches accept jobs with pay scales based on a "per win" metric, that market will continue.  Simple "supply & demand."  So yes, I see how it works.
This is silly. Long did not have to overpay and bend the UA athletic department over on a buyout. Bert and Jeff used a win over a down and out rival to milk the UA for a bunch of $. That was not "market forces" creating the situation with that contract. Sometimes, you are better off letting a guy walk knowing that you can get someone as good or better for the same or less money.
For the latest Arkansas High School 7-on-7 football news:

http://7on7football.blogspot.com/

Pigsknuckles

January 30, 2018, 12:17:49 pm #109 Last Edit: January 30, 2018, 01:10:16 pm by Pigsknuckles
Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on January 29, 2018, 02:59:02 pm
What land mine?s is he speaking of? 

SEC opponents probably.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Tusks

Every time the bafoon CBB opens his mouth I have that much more respect for Barry Alavarez.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

justmakeit2thebcs

Dimwits.....the landmines he is referring to were referencing recruiting and the competition.  You want him to "own" it, ask him, he will tell you he owns every bit of it.  Entirely his fault.  Yet you would rather infer something to fit your narrative from an article with zero knowledge of the context of the question. 

Some of you want him to come out on national television and say "I suck and should never be hired again" because you believe it.     

ricepig

Quote from: Russ22 on January 30, 2018, 12:17:19 pm
This is silly. Long did not have to overpay and bend the UA athletic department over on a buyout. Bert and Jeff used a win over a down and out rival to milk the UA for a bunch of $. That was not "market forces" creating the situation with that contract. Sometimes, you are better off letting a guy walk knowing that you can get someone as good or better for the same or less money.

Yeah, they were the only two that had to sign that contract......

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 30, 2018, 12:38:55 pm
Dimwits.....the landmines he is referring to were referencing recruiting and the competition.  You want him to "own" it, ask him, he will tell you he owns every bit of it.  Entirely his fault.  Yet you would rather infer something to fit your narrative from an article with zero knowledge of the context of the question. 

Some of you want him to come out on national television and say "I suck and should never be hired again" because you believe it.     

Really? His recruiting was slightly better than other coaches we had in the SEC YET he lost more than they did. That landmine was in his head.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: The NewEra on January 30, 2018, 10:28:45 am
A book could be written on all of the errors Bielema made while coaching here.  I'm not going to write that book here.  A good many posters have already outlined some of the most glaring deficiencies of this coach.

What I will say is, the only true "Land Mines" Bielema faced at Arkansas was believing that Jeff Long could protect him forever.  Not understanding that winning SEC games was critical.  Not realizing that 20-30 point beat downs would humiliate the fans and boosters to no end.  Not realizing that his excuses, despite personal charm in press conferences would start eroding his support.  Not realizing that power brokers would actually give him the boot and pay that obscene buyout he was gifted by Long in order to get rid of him and start a new chapter.  Bielema thought his relationship with Long and the SEC Network crew and his snake oil salesman skills would buy him a few more years here.  He overestimated the fan bases willingness to tolerate incompetence and poor decision making.
Your post is filled with stupidity.  You think he didn't realize winning games was critical?  You think he didn't realize 30 point beatdowns were humiliating.   As for realizing he might get fired, what did you want him to do?  Stop trying?  Act like he wasn't coming back? Stop recruiting?  How on earth could you possibly know he wasn't concerned? Based on the stupidity of your post alone, I can guarantee you CBB has acheived far greater success in his profession that you in yours.  He is a better man with far more character, he wouldn't be hiding behind a keyboard disparaging you.  Why do you feel the need, 3 months after he was fired to beat a dead horse?

justmakeit2thebcs

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 30, 2018, 12:50:19 pm
Really? His recruiting was slightly better than other coaches we had in the SEC YET he lost more than they did. That landmine was in his head.
CBB underacheived make no mistake about it, but Nutt's SEC was a lot easier than CBB's.  Petrino did well, but A&M, Ole miss and MSU were nearly as good as the last few years.  The landmind was recruiting overall depth and the athletes in the trenches on defense.  The formula for Wisc didn't work and he failed to adjust quick enough.  You saw the offense spread out and uptempo in the later years (folks then claimed we had no identity on offense.  the swith to the 3-4 was an attempt to better utilize the athletes availble in recruiting.  Just too little too late.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2010-Football/Commits
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2011-Football/Commits
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2012-Football/Commits

Petrino's last three clases were the foundation for CBB, 2012 was okay 10-11 sucked.  Change in style didn't help.  Chad is going to struggle for the same reason, won't really be his fault until you yahoos are roasting him over an open flame 5 years from now.

Russ22

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2018, 12:43:51 pm
Yeah, they were the only two that had to sign that contract......
Rice, are you saying that the contract between Bielema, the UA, and the Razorback Foundation was a necessity to keep the football program at such a high (8-5) level?

It seems of all the things we don't see eye-to-eye on, this is one where we could agree: Sometimes, it is better to let a coach to test the market.

I think that is the only way universities will get a handle on coaching salaries. There isn't a shortage of good football coaches. There is a shortage of ADs willing to take a chance on unproven coaches.

Hogindasticks

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 30, 2018, 01:21:58 pm
CBB underacheived make no mistake about it, but Nutt's SEC was a lot easier than CBB's.  Petrino did well, but A&M, Ole miss and MSU were nearly as good as the last few years.  The landmind was recruiting overall depth and the athletes in the trenches on defense.  The formula for Wisc didn't work and he failed to adjust quick enough.  You saw the offense spread out and uptempo in the later years (folks then claimed we had no identity on offense.  the swith to the 3-4 was an attempt to better utilize the athletes availble in recruiting.  Just too little too late.

https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2010-Football/Commits
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2011-Football/Commits
https://247sports.com/college/arkansas/Season/2012-Football/Commits

Petrino's last three clases were the foundation for CBB, 2012 was okay 10-11 sucked.  Change in style didn't help.  Chad is going to struggle for the same reason, won't really be his fault until you yahoos are roasting him over an open flame 5 years from now.

Don't assume we will be roasting anybody in five years. IF Bret had done what needed to be done then he wouldn't have gotten roasted on his way out the door since he wouldn't have been out the door. Things CAN change. It only remains to be seen if they will AND if the change will be enough or not.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

ChicoHog

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 30, 2018, 12:08:09 pm
I think we did some good prep.  We had some good starts.  Played with some better teams well into games.  Other times it was awful.  You are correct it was the adjustments where he failed.  He and his staff couldn't figure out how to adjust when the opponent did.  Early on, you could attribute some of it to a lack of options in terms of personnel. 
Well said.  I thought it was a good column with my only rebuttal being the 2011 team was out best in recent history.  I think the 2010 group was better as they almost beat Bama and should have, lost to Auburn at Auburn with some bad calls and lost to a good Ohio St team in the Sugar Bowl.  The 2011 team got smoked by Bama and LSU and beat an inferior K-state team in the Cotton bowl.  The reason the 2011 ranking was so much better than 2010 was the win vs the loss in the bowl game.  My point is the 2010 Buckeyes were a far superior team to the 2011 Wildcats who in my opinion were vastly over ranked. 

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: ChicoHog on January 30, 2018, 02:00:03 pm
Well said.  I thought it was a good column with my only rebuttal being the 2011 team was out best in recent history.  I think the 2010 group was better as they almost beat Bama and should have, lost to Auburn at Auburn with some bad calls and lost to a good Ohio St team in the Sugar Bowl.  The 2011 team got smoked by Bama and LSU and beat an inferior K-state team in the Cotton bowl.  The reason the 2011 ranking was so much better than 2010 was the win vs the loss in the bowl game.  My point is the 2010 Buckeyes were a far superior team to the 2011 Wildcats who in my opinion were vastly over ranked.

Agreed.  2010 team was better. 

The NewEra

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 30, 2018, 12:52:42 pm
Your post is filled with stupidity.  You think he didn't realize winning games was critical?  You think he didn't realize 30 point beatdowns were humiliating.   As for realizing he might get fired, what did you want him to do?  Stop trying?  Act like he wasn't coming back? Stop recruiting?  How on earth could you possibly know he wasn't concerned? Based on the stupidity of your post alone, I can guarantee you CBB has acheived far greater success in his profession that you in yours.  He is a better man with far more character, he wouldn't be hiding behind a keyboard disparaging you.  Why do you feel the need, 3 months after he was fired to beat a dead horse?

Just take a chill pill Jen!

WizardofhOgZ

From Tusk Till Dawn

Clearly about to be a full moon.  As for market value comments, CBB was the second lowest paid HC in the West.

Tusks

Quote from: justmakeit2thebcs on January 30, 2018, 12:52:42 pm

Well tell CBB to not take interviews and give asinine answers to his ineptness 3 months after the fact.  If he'll stop beating the dead horse then so will the fans.
sometimes it's a good and some times it's a schit

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

War Boar

This is the same article as the msn.com article posted earlier.  Still, thanks for posting. I look for every razorback scrap I can find this time of year.  Go Hogs!

pigture perfect

I still don't hate the man. Just wish it would have worked out.
The 2 biggest fools in the world: He who has an answer for everything and he who argues with him.  - original.<br /> <br />The first thing I'm going to ask a lawyer (when I might need one) is, "You don't post on Hogville do you?"

Atlhogfan1

WizardofhOgZ

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 30, 2018, 02:50:30 pm
http://www.hogville.net/yabbse/index.php?topic=656333.0

::)

Interesting . . . I saw the thread's subject line, but when I saw it was an msn link, figured it was a different article.  First time I've seen MSN post links to Sports Illustrated articles . . . or at least, first time I noticed it.

Sorry for the duplication.

MultipleScoreGasms

Sure it was.  At least JL's perception of market forces relative to a coach he did not want to lose.  Perhaps CBB could have used the same situation to market himself elsewhere.  As far as your negotiating points, I agree.  In my estimation, CBB was a better negotiator than JL. 

Flrazrback

Maybe this could be Bret's calling. No hate for the man what so ever. Wish him and his family all the best.

Vantage 8 dude

Not sure any of the arguing/disagreement on this thread would have even been needed or even thought about had CBB not made some comments that made him appear to be some sort of victim rather than his plain inability to recruit, develop talent, make in-game adjustments, develop and keep a staff that was both innovative and at least equal to most others throughout the league. When it comes right down to it "own your failure" 'cause you were given pretty much all that you ever asked for. 

ricepig

Quote from: Russ22 on January 30, 2018, 01:35:36 pm
Rice, are you saying that the contract between Bielema, the UA, and the Razorback Foundation was a necessity to keep the football program at such a high (8-5) level?

It seems of all the things we don't see eye-to-eye on, this is one where we could agree: Sometimes, it is better to let a coach to test the market.

I think that is the only way universities will get a handle on coaching salaries. There isn't a shortage of good football coaches. There is a shortage of ADs willing to take a chance on unproven coaches.

Nope, I'm saying the culpability extends beyond those two. As to the other, your AD would be a good one to learn this lesson. I agree, salaries are out of kilter and the eventual downturn in TV contracts will drive coach's, professional players, etc, down as well.

hawg1221

Quote from: WizardofhOgZ on January 30, 2018, 03:19:19 pm
Interesting . . . I saw the thread's subject line, but when I saw it was an msn link, figured it was a different article.  First time I've seen MSN post links to Sports Illustrated articles . . . or at least, first time I noticed it.

Sorry for the duplication.

One could have thought it was a college basketball article.

FutureMan

He tried and it didn't work out.  It happens.  Good luck to Bret, I hope he finds success in whatever path he chooses next.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: FutureMan on January 30, 2018, 03:48:42 pm
He tried and it didn't work out.  It happens.  Good luck to Bret, I hope he finds success in whatever path he chooses next.

I think that if we had won the Missouri game and the Belk Bowl he would still be here.  I still can't believe we lost that damn Belk Bowl.  I liked Bielema, but I have never seen such a head-scratcher of a series of games as that stretch between the loss of the MO game in 2016 and the loss of the one in 2018, I have re-watched a lot of those games and it's just hard to make sense of what happened.

grayhawg

Quote from: razorbackfaninar on January 30, 2018, 04:05:46 pm
I think that if we had won the Missouri game and the Belk Bowl he would still be here.  I still can't believe we lost that damn Belk Bowl.  I liked Bielema, but I have never seen such a head-scratcher of a series of games as that stretch between the loss of the MO game in 2016 and the loss of the one in 2018, I have re-watched a lot of those games and it's just hard to make sense of what happened.
Those two games done it for me, that's when I got off the Bret boat

wachhog

Bielema said he  didn't understand the kind of depth it took to play his style of football in the SEC West. Obviously, Long didn't know it either.
Funny that a total football novice such as I knew that much. They took our money to set our program back a decade. I have no sympathy.

buldozer

Sounds like BB and SI are still making excuses for a poor performance here by the fat guy. He recruited higher rated classes here than he did at WISkY..... he was lazy in coaching and recruiting is more factual and any top rated assistants he hired quit soon as they figured out his failings

Russ22

Quote from: ricepig on January 30, 2018, 03:41:02 pm
Nope, I'm saying the culpability extends beyond those two. As to the other, your AD would be a good one to learn this lesson. I agree, salaries are out of kilter and the eventual downturn in TV contracts will drive coach's, professional players, etc, down as well.
We agree.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on January 30, 2018, 02:35:33 pm
Clearly about to be a full moon.  As for market value comments, CBB was the second lowest paid HC in the West.

In that case he was overpaid by one. Had the worst record in the west his tenure.

Hog N Bama

GoldCoastHog

Quote from: wachhog on January 30, 2018, 04:13:00 pm
Bielema said he  didn't understand the kind of depth it took to play his style of football in the SEC West. Obviously, Long didn't know it either.
Funny that a total football novice such as I knew that much. They took our money to set our program back a decade. I have no sympathy.

Hmm, guess Bobby Petrino either got a memo or understood a little better..

wachhog

Quote from: hogcards on January 29, 2018, 04:29:23 pm
I said 5 years ago that he was a garbage coach as well as a guy with a very questionable character. I was correct. He's the worst coach we've ever had.
Amen.

ParkerSchnabel

That article only proves that he's STILL too stupid to get it. And how in the world are people on here saying it was a bad fit ? Are they referring to him trying to fit into a Volkswagen ? Its a job. Fit has nothing to do with it. You either do your job or you don't.

He's had all this time to reflect and he is still lost about what happened.

Hey Bert guess what. You ran off Pittman then you abandoned the run game in favor of a pass heavy offense bc you wanted to be Bobby. After you lost your identity you started throwing players under the bus. Oh and it really hurt when you stopped recruiting offensive lineman. Got it ? That blank stare still haunts me. Dude is retarded and anyone who supported him post year one is too.

wachhog

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 29, 2018, 06:42:56 pm
Another that I agree with. It is easy to be smitten with the new girl at school.
Just the fact that Morris is not that loud-mouthed  tub of lard is enough to make me happy. He was an embarrassment in so many ways.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 30, 2018, 06:05:01 pm
In that case he was overpaid by one. Had the worst record in the west his tenure.
I know its crazy, although his first 3 years records are remarkably similar to our new head coach's past gig (main difference being back to back bowl wins).  I kid, I kid, Im looking forward to CCM's new scheme, just a little worried about the transition.

Hog N Bama

Quote from: grayhawg on January 30, 2018, 04:09:06 pm
Those two games done it for me, that's when I got off the Bret boat
Me too. I said I'm done. No more excuses. GIT!

Redhogs

Thank you.....maybe jeffie even got a kick back for their little scam...we'll never know. At best incompetence, at worst criminal.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?