Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

CBB article

Started by RebHog, January 29, 2018, 02:47:51 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

RebHog

https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/lessons-learned-from-his-arkansas-tenure-bret-bielema-has-a-decision-to-make/ar-BBIpzVe

Article full of excuses on why he failed including this lil gem:

"The biggest difference between the two, he believes, was how well he understood the Badgers' program before he took over as the head coach after spending two years as Barry Alvarez's defensive coordinator. "I want to go into a situation where you know everything that's going on," Bielema said. "I didn't have to worry about uncovering land mines halfway into the job."

Arazorbackguy1

What land minds is he speaking of? 
I have 10 to 12 points to make per game.

Busta_Nutt

Thanks for sharing.

Nice truck you got there, Reb. Used to have me one just like it, except mine was green. Had a headache rack too. Bet somebody down there in Saline Co. is enjoying the heck out of her. Big Honch was what I called it. It was country boy loaded - had duel exhaust and all.

Inhogswetrust

UNLESS one is familiar with all aspects of a job by having worked there for your predecessor then there will NOT be any situation where you know "everything" that's going on. BUT after three or four years you should know it and if something isn't working right then fix it! Some coaches are better at seeing problems and coming up with fixes. Others can't.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Arazorbackguy1 on January 29, 2018, 02:59:02 pm

The only one's I can think of he planted them.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

k.c.hawg

There is not a direct line drawn but in the next paragraph he states he didn't understand how much depth you had to have in the O Line and D line to be competitive in the SEC. The writer then stated that might be an unsolvable problem at Arkansas because Bama, Auburn, LSU and so on were always going to get first crack at those guys.
Just sitting on the deck with a cold beer and a hot tequila watching the razorbacks roam.

Snout team

Well if it was half way through his coaching tenure here it is safe to say he either created it or recruited it.  The turn around happened with guys he inherited mixed with some he recruited.  His flop happened with his guys.

The lack of recruiting on the lines didn't happen until he ran off his coaches.

Hmmm
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

SemperHawg

What is it he always used to say?  "You earn everything" 

I guess that doesn't apply to getting fired, because I didn't see a ton of ownership in there.

SemperHawg

The Irony of this all is talking about uncovering land mines from the previous coaches and then taking credit for a player the previous coach left him in the same article.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 29, 2018, 03:10:23 pm
The Irony of this all is talking about uncovering land mines from the previous coaches and then taking credit for a player the previous coach left him in the same article.

Nice catch!

Redhogs

Quote from: RebHog on January 29, 2018, 02:47:51 pm
https://www.msn.com/en-us/sports/ncaafb/lessons-learned-from-his-arkansas-tenure-bret-bielema-has-a-decision-to-make/ar-BBIpzVe

Article full of excuses on why he failed including this lil gem:

"The biggest difference between the two, he believes, was how well he understood the Badgers' program before he took over as the head coach after spending two years as Barry Alvarez's defensive coordinator. "I want to go into a situation where you know everything that's going on," Bielema said. "I didn't have to worry about uncovering land mines halfway into the job."
Piss poor excuse maker from day one....left us in shambles, screw him. $30 million thrown down the toilet.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

hawgon

Landmines?  What, you mean like that the SEC is hard and we actually expect to win at Arkansas?  I tell you it is tough to coach under those conditions.

Con el Cerdos

Quote from: k.c.hawg on January 29, 2018, 03:05:28 pm
There is not a direct line drawn but in the next paragraph he states he didn't understand how much depth you had to have in the O Line and D line to be competitive in the SEC. The writer then stated that might be an unsolvable problem at Arkansas because Bama, Auburn, LSU and so on were always going to get first crack at those guys.

One of my first observations of Bielema's "system" after his announced hiring was what he has stated he has figured out after mostly a five years of failure at Arkansas.

And I've never coached anything above Pee Wee level.

kp72204

Thanks for the link. Was a very intresting read. Shouldn't there be an asterisk by his 3 Championships. wasn't his conference down and Ohio St on probation? I'll admit recruiting could be tough for certain people (really tough) but shouldn't you at least be competitive in the games? Shouldn't you post game pressers at least sound different instead of we had a good week of practice? I thought he was a good guy off the field (pulling up on random fans and having a beer), but a horriblein game adjuster. I am curious to know what jobs he's been offered.

Virgil

Man he just rubs me wrong.  Just admit you franked up and didn't get the job done. 
It's not what you push but what pushes you!!

DeltaBoy

He ran off his best recruiters and it came back and bit him in the 6.  Boo Hoo for him NOT he got 30 million a hot wife and a healthy child. He is set if he smart.
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

twistitup

Tito

He's not the first to step on the Tito land mine

...not the last
How you gonna win when you ain't right within?

Here I am again mixing misery and gin....

oldgoat

"He's one of the few coaches who wouldn't have to change anything about his delivery to succeed on television."

True.  But he would have to change his pants.
Hoglady: "Some things in life are only a big deal when you make them a big deal."

AflacHawg

Quote from: oldgoat on January 29, 2018, 03:36:41 pm
"He's one of the few coaches who wouldn't have to change anything about his delivery to succeed on television."

True.  But he would have to change his pants.

Yes, because he has always been full of darn.

Grizzlyfan

It's hard to argue that you get to 8-5 and 5-3 in year 3 and then discover the land mines.  The more likely explanation is complacency.

hogcards

I said 5 years ago that he was a garbage coach as well as a guy with a very questionable character. I was correct. He's the worst coach we've ever had.
"You have enemies? Good. It means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life."~Winston Churchill

"Racist -- a person who wins an argument with a liberal."~Rush Limbaugh

#lgb
#mediaistheenemy
#stoleninarizona

SemperHawg

Quote from: hogcards on January 29, 2018, 04:29:23 pm
I said 5 years ago that he was a garbage coach as well as a guy with a very questionable character. I was correct. He's the worst coach we've ever had.
I was going to start arguing with you on that, but to put it into perspective.  Two of Bielema's 5 years here he had a worse conference record than Johnelle.  That is astounding that he couldn't best Johnelle in two of the five years he was here.

hawgon

He is Houston Nutt without the southern accent.  Well, that and he was not as good of a coach. 

870hogfan

Who cares? He's gone....

farmhawg

From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

jgphillips3

Land mines:

1. "They actually wanted to win."
2. "Being fat, drunk and stupid is no way to go through life."
3. "Expecting wins in exchange for compensation."

HognitiveDissonance

Bielema is a great guy, but he's always been too confident(or, cocky) in his own abilities; too much hat, not enough cattle. He talks a better game than he plays. He'll always win the press conference, but he may not win as many games as you want.

The 'landmines' are that he discovered that Arkansas is a tougher place to win than Wisconsin.
He found out the hard way.
And he's damaged his career because now everyone knows Wisconsin's success under him was not really due to him, seeing that each coach who followed him has duplicated the same success, including last year when they were 12-0 at one point.

It also needs to be pointed out that his predecessor, Petrino(I don't count John L. Smith), managed to win 10 and 11 games in back-to-back years. Petrino was in the same job, same conference, as Bielema, facing the same challenges, and he managed to excel.

Bielema's excuses are just that...excuses.

Monsterhog

This quote from the article says it all in my opinion.

" he should have better understood before he took the job how difficult it would be to recruit the type and quantity of players he needed to recruit to play the style he wanted to play. New Arkansas coach Chad Morris, whose preferred offensive style is more similar to those in the Big 12, may have an easier time finding what he needs. "

What kind of research does a HC need to understand how difficult the SEC, in particular the SEC West is?   This guy is basically admitting he just flat out failed...   He may indeed find his way back to a HC job in college as this author states.  it won't be in a Power 5 conference with an admission like this.   

Hog N Bama

The great excuse maker.

Pig in the Pokey

Quote from: hawgon on January 29, 2018, 04:41:05 pm
He is Houston Nutt without the southern accent.  Well, that and he was not as good of a coach.
actually Nutt is WAY better.
You must be on one if you think i aint on one! ¥420¥   «roastin da bomb in fayettenam» Purspirit Gang

Bebop

Quote from: Monsterhog on January 29, 2018, 05:48:00 pm

" he should have better understood before he took the job how difficult it would be to recruit the type and quantity of players he needed to recruit to play the style he wanted to play. New Arkansas coach Chad Morris, whose preferred offensive style is more similar to those in the Big 12, may have an easier time finding what he needs. "

What kind of research does a HC need to understand how difficult the SEC, in particular the SEC West is?   This guy is basically admitting he just flat out failed...   He may indeed find his way back to a HC job in college as this author states.  it won't be in a Power 5 conference with an admission like this.

Surprise, surprise, he basically states that he didn't know what he was getting into when he came to Arkansas. Daddy Alvarez wasn't helping him out anymore. Somehow, however, he "...needed more time". Dude is a giant excuse maker. He reminds me of the type of people that what the title and authority and none of the responsibility.

It became apparent by year 3 that he wasn't going to get it done here. I wished I would have seen it sooner.

Atlhogfan1

He took the wrong job at the wrong time.  Made a bad career mistake. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

Bebop

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2018, 06:09:38 pm
He took the wrong job at the wrong time.  Made a bad career mistake.

Correction: there would never have been the right time for Bielema to be our head coach. He's not a good head coach.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Bebop on January 29, 2018, 06:13:07 pm
Correction: there would never have been the right time for Bielema to be our head coach. He's not a good head coach.

No need for a correction.  He took the wrong job at the wrong time. 
Quote from: MaconBacon on March 22, 2018, 10:30:04 amWe had a good run in the 90's and one NC and now the whole state still laments that we are a top seed program and have kids standing in line to come to good ole Arkansas.  We're just a flash in the pan boys. 

hoghearted

Quote from: Bebop on January 29, 2018, 06:13:07 pm

This sums it up pretty well.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

King Kong

I hope he gets well playing job soon to cut down our buyout

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Monsterhog on January 29, 2018, 05:48:00 pm

Let's hope he doesn't turn us into Ok ST or TT.  We'll  get rolled in the SEC.  Happy to see Morris and staff recruiting the Deep South and not obsessing with just the B12 region. 

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: twistitup on January 29, 2018, 03:27:58 pm
Tito

He's not the first to step on the Tito land mine

...not the last

I'm waiting for Boris' Revenge to come out... That would be the name of my Tequila if I was a Rooskie...
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

DoubleReedHawgCaller

A couple female midgets, a few bottles of Wild Irish Rose, and a room at the Trout Inn...... who knows what may happen.....

Oklahawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2018, 06:16:04 pm
No need for a correction.  He took the wrong job at the wrong time. 

Co-sign.

We will have a thread in a few years where the same folks who take glee in bashing him here are proclaiming that his UA experience is the reason he is successful somewhere else.

No.

Sometimes, it is the wrong time, and sometimes it is a bad fit (regardless of timing).
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

Oklahawg

Quote from: Atlhogfan1 on January 29, 2018, 06:22:53 pm
Let's hope he doesn't turn us into Ok ST or TT.  We'll  get rolled in the SEC.  Happy to see Morris and staff recruiting the Deep South and not obsessing with just the B12 region. 

Another that I agree with. It is easy to be smitten with the new girl at school.
I am a Hog fan. I was long before my name was etched, twice, on the sidewalks on the Hill. I will be long after Sam Pittman and Eric Mussleman are coaches, and Hunter Yuracheck is AD. I am a Hog fan when we win, when we lose and when we don't play. I love hearing the UA band play the National Anthem on game day, but I sing along to the Alma Mater. I am a Hog fan.<br /><br />A liberal education is at the heart of a civil society, and at the heart of a liberal education is the act of teaching. - Bart Giamatti <br /><br />"It is a puzzling thing. The truth knocks on the door and you say, 'Go away, I'm looking for the truth,' and so it goes away. Puzzling." ― Robert M. Pirsig<br /><br />Love is the most important thing in the world, but baseball is pretty good, too.  – Yogi Berra

WPS007

[ "I didn't have to worry about uncovering land mines halfway into the job."

[/quote]

Land Mine = Working Hard

Bacons Rebellion

Everybody involved in college football knows the SEC West is located behind a huge sign that says, "ACHTUNG MINEN!"

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 29, 2018, 06:42:17 pm
Co-sign.

We will have a thread in a few years where the same folks who take glee in bashing him here are proclaiming that his UA experience is the reason he is successful somewhere else.

No.

Sometimes, it is the wrong time, and sometimes it is a bad fit (regardless of timing).

True on the fit.

From Tusk Till Dawn

Will be interesting to see how Morris does with Bielema's players in the new scheme.  Also interesting to see where CBB goes next and how he does cause it will likely be a rebuild too.

Atlhogfan1

Quote from: From Tusk Till Dawn on January 29, 2018, 06:53:04 pm
Will be interesting to see how Morris does with Bielema's players in the new scheme.  Also interesting to see where CBB goes next and how he does cause it will likely be a rebuild too.
Bielema has left some good skill talent which should excel and some prospects at qb.  Just not a premier RPO qb.   

BB needs to focus on loading up on HS olinemen from the beginning at his next stop and don't stop till he is 3 deep. 

hoglady

Quote from: Virgil on January 29, 2018, 03:21:15 pm
Man he just rubs me wrong.  Just admit you franked up and didn't get the job done. 

I'm with you.
Can't hardly stand to listen to him talk.
Inside every "older" person is a younger person wondering what the hell happened?

"Compassion for animals is intimately associated with goodness of character, and it may be confidently asserted that he who is cruel to animals cannot be a good man."
― Arthur Schopenhauer, The Basis of Morality

McKdaddy

Quote from: Con el Cerdos on January 29, 2018, 03:19:03 pm
One of my first observations of Bielema's "system" after his announced hiring was what he has stated he has figured out after mostly a five years of failure at Arkansas.

Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

McKdaddy

Quote from: Grizzlyfan on January 29, 2018, 04:17:05 pm
It's hard to argue that you get to 8-5 and 5-3 in year 3 and then discover the land mines.  The more likely explanation is complacency.
Don't buy upgrades, ride up grades.

"You are everything that is wrong with this place . . . Ban me"

"CPI, ex-food and energy, is only good for an anorexic pedestrian"--Art Cashin

Razorbax

Quote from: Oklahawg on January 29, 2018, 06:42:17 pm
Co-sign.

No.

And sometimes it is a bad coach.