Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Attention to Detail

Started by SemperHawg, January 22, 2018, 01:50:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

SemperHawg

Thoughts?   I personally like it, but I understand not everyone has a military background so it may not be for everyone.

https://twitter.com/OhMyGrady85/status/955481293394980864

Cotton

I've seen it work in multiple athletic programs.  I'm all for it.  Do the small things right, every day, and the big things will follow.
"Who got a Scantron for Ryan Mallet?"  - Ryan Mallet, 2009

Razorbacks in Mexico

Ponderin' SUX

Nosboar Accubond

For this that don't wanna click

Inhogswetrust

January 22, 2018, 02:03:26 pm #3 Last Edit: January 22, 2018, 03:09:53 pm by Inhogswetrust
Sit up, put your feet on the floor, put your drinks down. Now don't leave towels in your locker. I think theses coaches are no nonsense types. Discipline and attention to detail on the field starts with instilling discipline and attention to detail off the field. I have no problem with that.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Pigsknuckles

Little things are like special teams. Rarely do they win you games, but they can darn sure beat you.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

Flrazrback

Good discipline develops respect on and off the field. Happy to see we now have a staff that has backbone.

99toLife

Had a coach say if you can't do the small things correct and consistently every time everyday no matter how minor you think they might be, I guarantee you will be overwhelmed and fail at the major things you face in real time. 

rljjr

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 22, 2018, 01:50:34 pm
Thoughts?   I personally like it, but I understand not everyone has a military background so it may not be for everyone.

I like it. He won't do that again. Standards need to be set and enforced. When you turn your head if you see somebody slacking then you've just set the new standard a little lower. Good stuff.

onebadrubi

We've seen these things from Petrino and Bielema.  Each stafff had their little things. 

Details in every area, very important. 

bennyl08

Quote from: Flrazrback on January 22, 2018, 02:09:06 pm
Good discipline develops respect on and off the field. Happy to see we now have a staff that has backbone.

Past coaching staff was no different in this regard.

Actions like this are good to see from a coaching staff, but if this is all it takes for you to be happy, then you should have been happy with the old staff as well.

As somebody else said, stuff like this won't win you games, but a lack of it will lose you games (see Smiley).
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: onebadrubi on January 22, 2018, 02:11:10 pm
We've seen these things from Petrino and Bielema.  Each stafff had their little things. 

I bet this coaching staff is required to wear shoes...........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

porque

Coach B did not stress attention to detail.

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2018, 02:14:27 pm
I bet this coaching staff is required to wear shoes...........................

Let's hope this team is required to get to class and make the grades like the last coaching staff...

BP was a very strict disciplinarian and the results was outstanding...to bad he didn't have self-discipline. 
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

ICEman

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 22, 2018, 02:13:19 pm

Actions like this are good to see from a coaching staff, but if this is all it takes for you to be happy, then you should have been happy with the old staff as well.

As somebody else said, stuff like this won't win you games, but a lack of it will lose you games (see Smiley).
Exactly, we had the best Special Teams in existence.
"College football is a sport that bears the same relation to education that bullfighting does to agriculture."

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: tusksincolorado on January 22, 2018, 02:35:47 pm
Let's hope this team is required to get to class and make the grades like the last coaching staff...

BP was a very strict disciplinarian and the results was outstanding...to bad he didn't have self-discipline. 

CJ won't leave his towel out again.  Sorry,  I've know him since JR High and can't call him Cheyenne.

I was lucky enough to see my son's Winter Training Program 2018  packet last weekend. 

The academic side is not only addressed, it's more rigorous than the previous staff. 

There is a defined weight room dress code.  No hats, earrings, headbands, cutoffs, or exceptions. 

Coach Morris was also surprised that many didn't show up to the meeting last Tuesday with paper and a pen.  It's a new world in the Smith Center. 

Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: FANONTHEHILL on January 22, 2018, 02:46:42 pm
CJ won't leave his towel out again.  Sorry,  I've know him since JR High and can't call him Cheyenne.

I was lucky enough to see my son's Winter Training Program 2018  packet last weekend. 

The academic side is not only addressed, it's more rigorous than the previous staff. 

There is a defined weight room dress code.  No hats, earrings, headbands, cutoffs, or exceptions. 

Coach Morris was also surprised that many didn't show up to the meeting last Tuesday with paper and a pen.  It's a new world in the Smith Center. 

You mean he expects youngsters today to know what a pen and paper is used for? Next thing you know he'll require them to write in cursive. They will have to have a new class on how to do that.

AirWarren

Man.....

Sounds like he is preparing for real world job etiquette.

netteltonhog

So just what does "with prowlers" mean?

livevanguy

Quote from: netteltonhog on January 22, 2018, 03:10:34 pm
AND a 50 yard suicide? Is that like a mix of all the sodas at an Arby's or something?
Call'n the hogs from the Pacific Northwest

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: netteltonhog on January 22, 2018, 03:10:34 pm

IIRC it's a workout sled where weights can be added.

Dropkick

Really appreciate the info you share here.

FutureMan

Discipline and accountability is exactly what this team needs.  Last year, everything was too relax - no heart, no desire.  This disciplined approach is the exact shot in the ass needed by this team.
"Once we believe in ourselves, we can risk curiosity, wonder, spontaneous delight, or any experience that reveals the human spirit."
- E.E. Cummings

Dropkick

Strong discipline may help make the numbers work out too.

This is why I wouldn't have done well in the military or on a football team. Too many rules. Now, I'm not saying they're wrong and I don't have the first clue what it takes to run a team.

Reservoir Hogs

Quote from: livevanguy on January 22, 2018, 03:14:44 pm
AND a 50 yard suicide? Is that like a mix of all the sodas at an Arby's or something?

I think prowlers are the weight sleds mentioned above...
believe a 50 yrd suicide would be like line drills;
start at goal line -> run to 10 yrd line -> run back to goal line -> run to 20 yrd line -> run back to goal line -> continue thru 50 yrd line.
possibly they go back down as well.

SemperHawg

MasterChiefHog

Outstanding! Semper and I can relate.
Quote from: oldman1015 on December 28, 2017, 11:40:00 am
Having a bad day or always a dick?
Quote from: Hogs-n-Roses on December 06, 2019, 09:39:55 am
Sorry fo any misspells or paragraph s. I m on a scaffold.
Quote from: Hogwild on October 18, 2018, 08:23:47 amSince we are being optimistic, let's go full tilt boogie! If we win out, Ole Miss wins out, and Bama loses out. Then all we need is Miss. State to win against LSU & Texas A&M, and then have the Aggies upset LSU. 
And then we are hanging an SEC WEST Champion banner.

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: Reservoir Hogs on January 22, 2018, 03:25:56 pm
I think prowlers are the weight sleds mentioned above...
believe a 50 yrd suicide would be like line drills;
start at goal line -> run to 10 yrd line -> run back to goal line -> run to 20 yrd line -> run back to goal line -> continue thru 50 yrd line
possibly they go back down as well.

We called those "ladder drills". Brutal. They were always done at the end of practice.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

FANONTHEHILL

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 22, 2018, 02:13:19 pm

Benny, I don't always agree with you, but I enjoy your posts always.  In this regard you are absolutely correct.  There was a "laid back" attitude that in some ways was detrimental, but academics and carrying yourself as you should off the field were always stressed.  The mood will be less casual, but many of the principles regarding conduct that Coach Morris wants are identical to the previous staff.
Favorite quote from practice.  Made to my son:<br /><br /><br />Technique is nice, but it comes down to this.  Block the F'er in front of you. - Sam Pittman 2015

RebelW

I love it! Plus these boys have to lean up some, the coaches will use every Oppurtunity to get someone a little more stronger! Extra work

blueridger

if this type of on the field and off the field discipline is surprising to you folks...then I understand why you've had a tough go of it the last few years. that goes for classroom discipline also.  you can't build a program with 115 players doing what they want, when they want, how they want.  i've been telling ya'll, CCM and this staff are the real deal. 

RME

Quote from: Karma on January 22, 2018, 03:23:30 pm
This is why I wouldn't have done well in the military or on a football team. Too many rules. Now, I'm not saying they're wrong and I don't have the first clue what it takes to run a team.

If you had the talent to do so and were given a scholarship to play football at a P5 school you couldn't follow the rules set forth by the coach?

hogfansince79

It's a good thing.  I doubt he leaves another towel in his locker.

When I was in boot camp (U.S. Navy), they started from day 1 teaching us to say - yes sir.  If you responded when addressed with anything other than - yes sir, or aye aye sir - then it was 25 pushups.  The first 3 days I was saying sir to everyone and everything just about, but that fourth day, I guess I had some kind of aneurysm or something because I kept saying - yeah - so much so that by the end of the day, the company commander was just pointing to the deck, instead of saying - give me 25.  I bet I did 200 pushups that day.  lol  Sure taught me to not say - yeah - anymore.

If it moves, salute it... and if it don't, paint it grey.
"If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went." — Will Rogers

"Think of how stupid the average person is, and realize half of them are stupider than that." — George Carlin

Quote from: RyanMallettsEgo on January 22, 2018, 03:50:36 pm
If you had the talent to do so and were given a scholarship to play football at a P5 school you couldn't follow the rules set forth by the coach?
It's a hypothetical as I certainly didn't have the talent, but in general, I avoid situations where I'm going to be micro-managed. Again, I'm not saying its the wrong way to coach a team, just what works for me.

Hoggish1

Quote from: Inhogswetrust on January 22, 2018, 02:03:26 pm
Sit up, put your feet on the floor, put your drinks down. Now don't leave towels in your locker. I think theses coaches are no nonsense types. Discipline and attention to detail on the field starts with instilling discipline and attention to detail off the field. I have no problem with that.

Discipline is discipline.  Get with it or get gone...

Vantage 8 dude

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 22, 2018, 01:50:34 pm

Obviously a good portion of Alabama's great success has to do with their superior athletes and great talent. However, there's also no doubt that some of it also has to do with Saban's (and his staff) laser focus on details-even to practice schedules and offseason training. Yep, learn to concentrate and take care of the small details and the larger ones get to be much less difficult to address.

LRrazorback

IIRC didn't drew Morgan accuse CBB of falling asleep in a meeting?  If so, this staff seems to be the total opposite. Thank God!!

TX HOG

Didn't DJ Williams say something insightful about coach B's practices?

bennyl08

Good to hear about the academic side. Petrino improved on Nutt, Bielema improved on Petrino, and it's great to see that Morris aims to improve upon Bielema.

No headbands in the weightroom though? Does he not expect them to sweat? Between having somebody who can't see because of the sweat in their eye, somebody having to stop to use a towel to wipe themselves off with and thus using a lot more resources, vs. wearing something designed to keep sweat out of your eyes in a hands free manner, I'd encourage the latter.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

MuskogeeHogFan

It all begins and ends with discipline. Do what you are told, or coached to do. In terms of football, not being disciplined enough to play the scheme as coached can put you out of position, which makes you look slower than you are, can take you or someone else who is doing their job, out of the play or less effective. I guess that is why I was always mystified by our previous staff (who was supposed to be big on discipline) when they would say things like, "Well, they were coached to do it this way...but they obviously aren't doing it." Well why not? Did they feel like they had so little talented depth that they couldn't afford to pull a guy who wasn't executing the scheme? I don't know, just speculation.

It is my hope that this isn't just a first go-round with the discipline, a shock to the system to signal the initial change. I hope they stick with it from now on because it will produce a better team overall. I'd rather have a developed 3 star guy who is disciplined in sticking to the scheme than a 4 star guy who thinks he can free-lance at times (on ability alone) and try to make a big play, but ends up giving up a big play instead.

It is often times the little things that count and end up producing a better team performance. Without discipline, the little things can sometimes be overlooked.
Go Hogs Go!

Bash

Much more Petrino-like than Bielema-like.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

alohawg

Accountability matters, even on the smallest of things. It's a mindset.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: LRrazorback on January 22, 2018, 04:38:16 pm
IIRC didn't drew Morgan accuse CBB of falling asleep in a meeting? 

Quote from: TX HOG on January 22, 2018, 04:43:24 pm
Didn't DJ Williams say something insightful about coach B's practices?

Yes to both.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: FutureMan on January 22, 2018, 03:16:39 pm
Discipline and accountability is exactly what this team needs.  Last year, everything was too relax - no heart, no desire.  This disciplined approach is the exact shot in the ass needed by this team.

I remember in the first couple of years CBB saying they must bring paper and pencil. Anyone remember a star RB running around with a mattress because he missed a meeting?

I don't recall those type of reports the last two years.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

RockyMtnHog

A little military-like discipline goes a long way.  It separates the men from the boys and helps to instill right from wrong behavior.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

RockyMtnHog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 22, 2018, 05:19:05 pm
Good to hear about the academic side. Petrino improved on Nutt, Bielema improved on Petrino, and it's great to see that Morris aims to improve upon Bielema.

No headbands in the weightroom though? Does he not expect them to sweat? Between having somebody who can't see because of the sweat in their eye, somebody having to stop to use a towel to wipe themselves off with and thus using a lot more resources, vs. wearing something designed to keep sweat out of your eyes in a hands free manner, I'd encourage the latter.

Sweat gets in your eyes and it stings.  One of the little things to get used too.
"On the Eighth Day, God created the Razorbacks!"

okrazorback

Just listen to the guys posting here and you will find out.

Silver Hog

Quote from: bennyl08 on January 22, 2018, 05:19:05 pm

No headbands in the weightroom though? Does he not expect them to sweat?

So what do they do on 3rd and 3 when the helmet is on and they have sweat running into their eyes? This is football after all, not tennis.

Quote from: okrazorback on January 22, 2018, 06:57:38 pm
Just listen to the guys posting here and you will find out.
You missed the "I don't like people to tell me what to do part"