Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Difference between last year and this year (long)

Started by Hogsolo, January 11, 2018, 04:36:57 am

Previous topic - Next topic

Hogsolo

This year we don't have the same level experience on defense in Mike's system as last year.  Last year we had Moses and Manny Watkins with four years in the system.  Plus Moses was really good on D.  He cleaned up a lot of mistakes.

This year our core group are only 1 going on 2 years in the system.   Plus the big two are offensive minded players first. 

Anton has four years but seems to have confidence beyond his ability, especially on the offensive end.  He can be a difference maker when he let's the game come to him instead of trying to create offense.

When the season started I was worried about having a big that could anchor the D.  We have that talent wise, just not experience wise.  Thompson could do better and should do better on D.

I'd like to see a starting five of Barford, Macon, Bailey, Thompson, and Jones.

Let the young guns come off the bench with an energy explosion.   Gafford is WAY more talented than Thompson, but to me it seems that Trey integrates with the older guards better at the beginning of games.  Gafford is also a great infusion of energy off the bench.

Jones can then be the bailout for Macon and Barford when they pull defense to them.  Hopefully he doesn't have the Yips.

I like Bailey on D and on the boards offensively with our shooters in the game with him. 

That'll leave Beard as the calming factor of Hall and Gafford off the bench.  The rest of the bench looks like spot minutes unless Thomas can find his role like he did late last year.  Cook plays hard, but isn't quite athletic enough for SEC play, IMO.  I'd like to see a Gabe get some time too just because he's shown a willingness to play D and throw himself in there on the boards.

In the final analysis this team, like last years, is going to have to learn that D is more important than O.  If they find the rhythm on D the O will be there.

Unlike those who blindly want CMA fired, I want to see this team perform to their talent.  Hopefully they are as athletic and talented as we all hoped they would be.

My worry is it's too late to get the team D working like it did last year.  If not we're probably a .500 level team.

Also, don't even consider changing coaches without a home run hire ready to step in.

GHG

Beaverfever

Quote from: IAMHogholio on January 11, 2018, 04:36:57 am
Also, don't even consider changing coaches without a home run hire ready to step in.
Im not in a hurry.  They should let mike babysit until we find someone we know can win. He got us out of the gutter that Pel put us in and I'll be appreciative of his contributions to the program.  But it's time to start considering how we will get this program to the next level. 

The_Iceman

He doesn't have Dusty Hannah's to bail out his bad coaching.

Kevin

Players who laying for the wrong reasons. They think every game is a pro tryout.

They need to realize there is no nba in their future

Submit yourselves therefore to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you.<br />James 4:7
Reject Every Kind Of Evil 1 Thessalonians 5:22