Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Top 41 Programs in Total Defense

Started by Dwight_K_Shrute, January 05, 2018, 05:12:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Dwight_K_Shrute

Listed below are the top 41 schools in total D. Why did you use 41 instead of say 40?  Well because UAB was number 41 and if they can have that good of a defense after just restarting their program their DC must be good.

Anyhoo I did a strike through for any that were not likely.  By that I mean at upper P5 schools and not likely to leave or the school would most likely match the offer.

There are a few exceptions like a TCU where the DC may want to spread their wings from under Patterson's shadow and be the guy.  Florida's DC was Randy Shannon who I assume is still available. 

The point is while many of the top Defenses are at P5 schools with established coordinators there are several at G5 schools or attainable from another P5 school that isn't known for paying big $'s. 

Instead of hiring Chavis wouldn't the wiser strategy be to hire the next Chavis or the next Venables?  If a G5 guy is good enough to be our HC why wouldn't a successful G5 coordinator be good enough to build our defense?

Saban, who has an eye for talent went after UTSA's DC.  Fresno State's DC is an interesting case.  They changed coaches last year and Jeff Tedford, an offensive guy, hired his DC from the CFL.  Looks like that outside of the box thinking paid off.  When you think about the CFL one thing that stands out is more space so have to be more inventive to cover more space and speed probably plays a factor in that as well. 

Instead of fixating on a name shouldn't the focus be fit and potential for future success?

Alabama (SEC)
Wisconsin (Big Ten)
Michigan (Big Ten)
Clemson (ACC)

UTSA (C-USA)
Georgia (SEC)
Michigan St. (Big Ten)
Washington (Pac-12)
Ohio St. (Big Ten)
Mississippi St. (SEC)

San Diego St. (MWC)
LSU (SEC)
Virginia Tech (ACC)
Auburn (SEC)

Fresno St. (MWC)
Washington St. (Pac-12)
Penn St. (Big Ten)
Florida St. (ACC)

TCU (Big 12)
Southern Miss. (C-USA)
Duke (ACC)
Boise St. (MWC)
Wyoming (MWC)
Troy (Sun Belt)
Utah (Pac-12)
Northern Ill. (MAC)
Indiana (Big Ten)
Marshall (C-USA)
Appalachian St. (Sun Belt)
Minnesota (Big Ten)
Florida (SEC)
Army West Point (FBS Independent)
Georgia Tech (ACC)
Northwestern (Big Ten)
Middle Tenn. (C-USA)
Iowa (Big Ten)
South Fla. (AAC)
Miami (FL) (ACC)
Eastern Mich. (MAC)

Virginia (ACC)
UAB (C-USA)
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

Hogindasticks

January 05, 2018, 05:18:16 pm #1 Last Edit: January 05, 2018, 06:00:08 pm by Hogindasticks
You guys hit the head coach on the head....NOT....so I am assuming the DC search is exactly the same and you don't know squat.   Mark them all off and start over.

colbs

A few things.  A big + for Chavis is his SEC experience which Morris does not have.  I think another positive is the assistants he will bring along. 

Qadi999

first, off you cant glean anything from a ranking system of defenses that don't play equal teams. just because UAB has a top 50 defensive ranking does not mean they have the 50 best defense in the country, these lists mean less than nothing.

HogPharmer

Quote from: colbs on January 05, 2018, 05:34:19 pm
A few things.  A big + for Chavis is his SEC experience which Morris does not have.  I think another positive is the assistants he will bring along.

Chavis has all the qualities people were whining about our HC not having. Yet those same people are whining about the possibility of getting Chavis.
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

colbs

Quote from: HogPharmer on January 05, 2018, 05:42:09 pm
Chavis has all the qualities people were whining about our HC not having. Yet those same people are whining about the possibility of getting Chavis.
And some are wanting to hire DCs that have not had success in the SEC but complained about the last HC because his wins were in the B10.

What this list does do is show that somehow these teams ended up, the top 41.  Remember, nearly every G5 school plays 2 or 3 P5 teams annually, to gain enough funds to keep the doors open and they use those same defenders to go do that.  So, in many ways, these Guys may have done a much better than some Blueblood DC ranked up above them in the rankings.

Snout team

Is this list from one year?  We have hired enough one hit wonders.  Now if the list is from the past 3-5 years I'm listening.
The scout team (snout team) is an important part of the team although it gets little credit.

Acehawg

And as we know one year of good statistics doesn't equal long term success.  Think Robb Smith.

redeye

IIRC, Shannon has agreed to be the DC for UCF next season.

QuoteInstead of hiring Chavis wouldn't the wiser strategy be to hire the next Chavis or the next Venables?  If a G5 guy is good enough to be our HC why wouldn't a successful G5 coordinator be good enough to build our defense?

Normally I'd have no problem with this, but since we used this strategy with our head coach, I'd rather have an experienced DC and there probably isn't a DC with more SEC experience than Chavis.  Malzahn brought some of his young guys with him to Auburn, but Auburn also made sure Malzahn had some experience on his staff.

ChopSooie

Any of those teams on your list run an offense like Morris?

lumphog

psssssssst..... most of them are LOCO   :-\

thebignasty

Quote from: Hogindasticks on January 05, 2018, 05:18:16 pm
You guys hit the head coach on the head....NOT....so I am assuming the DC search is exactly the same and you don't know squat.   Mark them all off and start over.

What do you think the point of this thread is?

bennyl08

Chavis: Has fielded top defenses in the past. However, those were at top programs at the time as well. He was starting to slip some at LSU which is why they didn't fight too hard to keep him from the aggies. While his time at the aggies was short compared the long and impressive resume of his, it was the first time he was DC at a school with defensive talent closer to the level that we have. Further, it was the first time coaching defense for an offensive similar to what we will be running. All of his success has been with pro style, huddle up offenses and defenses where the third stringers are basically all top talents. Aggies had a couple of elite players like Garrett but then elsewise weren't anything special. Chavis is older and it's possible his heart isn't as in the game anymore. His dip in production, even while still at LSU and not being as passionate anymore would coincide with the rumors that he doesn't like to recruit. On the flip side, his last few years at LSU also were towards the tail of Les Miles and that could have come into play same as Bielema's shortcomings bled into the team despite success of the coordinators and assistants in the past. Further, he does have an impressive resume in his earlier years and LSU and at Tenner back when they were good, so at least under ideal conditions, we know that Chavis can sustain a good defense. Also, he has experience as a collegiate coach which Morris lacks in general and experience in the SEC which Morris lacks entirely.

I like the idea of getting a Vic Koenning though. Koenning also has a ton of experience in the college ranks including 15 years as DC and even 3 years as HC. Koenning has primarily worked at less talented schools like Wyoming, Troy, Illinois, KSU though though he also has 7 years at Clemson and NC. He consistently has his defenses playing well in terms of scoring and total yards and he consistently ranks highly in the impact plays like sacks, tfl, interceptions, and fumbles. He also excels in taking schools that have been doing very bad and quickly improving them. Of course, he has downsides as well. 30 years in the college ranks, 15 years as a DC, 3 years as AHC/Safeties, and 3 years as HC and he only has two high-ish profile schools to his name. His resume looks amazing, but why have more p5 schools not snatched him up in the past? He also doesn't have experience in the SEC, which with a coach who lacks experience, having a coordinator who knows the territory could be useful.

In short, Chavis has been to higher highs than Koenning, and has extensive experience in the SEC which are both great. However, Chavis hasn't been very good in about 5 years time, and he became way worse in his only job where he'd be asked to do similar things as he would be asked to do here at Arkansas. It's possible that precipitous drop was just due to being with a program who didn't have a great HC, but that's still a pretty big red flag. Smith had a top 10 defense here at Arkansas even. Koenning doesn't have near the prestige of Chavis, doesn't have SEC experience, and doesn't have a ton of time at big name schools at all, but he has been in similar situations to what he would experience here and has excelled in those conditions.

Either DC could do amazingly here or could be atrocious here. Hope whoever we get has success and will root for them to have success.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

Pork Twain

They are only happy when they cry.  As is clear by focusing on Chavis's first and last year at A&M and ignoring the two in the middle and ignoring the other two decades of stellar defensive production.  All to support their tears.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

jvanhorn

I am not a big Chavis fan, but with Clinch gone and Venebles not available, I am not sure we have a whole lot of good options--and those options are probably getting fewer every day.

Pork Twain

Quote from: jvanhorn on January 06, 2018, 03:14:06 am
I am not a big Chavis fan, but with Clinch gone and Venebles not available, I am not sure we have a whole lot of good options--and those options are probably getting fewer every day.
If you don't really even know the guy's name, was he really that high on your list?
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

goodguytex

Quote from: Qadi999 on January 05, 2018, 05:40:45 pm
first, off you cant glean anything from a ranking system of defenses that don't play equal teams. just because UAB has a top 50 defensive ranking does not mean they have the 50 best defense in the country, these lists mean less than nothing.
And these lists are going off 1 year, which doesn't take into account upperclassmen on the team, injuries, stuff like that. Chavis has a whole body of work that shows he has been one of the best in the country.

His big issue is his time at A&M. Defensive record there has not been good at all. But I don't know what practice time compared to the offense the defense had, what their injury situation was like, what their experience on the defense was like the last 3 years. There are, again, mitigating factors to be taken in consideration.

People are justified in being concerned though. They should be. Doesn't mean chavis is a bad hire. Just one with some definite risk. But with great potential for being a success.

Inhogswetrust

Everyone wants a sure fire hire. The problem is there is no such thing as sure fire............................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

HardCore

Quote from: Acehawg on January 05, 2018, 06:11:42 pm
And as we know one year of good statistics doesn't equal long term success.  Think Robb Smith.

That good stat year was probably Randy Shannon, not Robb Smith
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

ChicoHog

Quote from: HardCore on January 06, 2018, 08:37:25 am
That good stat year was probably Randy Shannon, not Robb Smith
I don't know about that.  He did not do well at UF this year.  I think he is a good recruiter but a very mediocre coordinator and head coach.