Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

All in on coaches

Started by Cinco de Hogo, January 04, 2018, 09:11:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

clew

Quote from: Pudgepork on January 04, 2018, 09:56:14 am
Does a fan have a say in the decision?  The real answer is no.  You have to trust that the decision makers want whats best.  Unlike the complainers, they have actually met the man. 

The ones complaining the loudest are disruptive and a burdon to moving forward. Their complaints only breed distention and doesn't add anything positive
Great post--I was going to post the same.  Love the avatar--Seabiscuit was awesome.
Pure as the dawn

GuvHog

Quote from: 31to6 on January 04, 2018, 12:55:09 pm
I agree and I am cautiously optimistic. I think we could be anywhere from surprisingly good to very good.

But I can’t hold a first year coach responsible for any particular # of wins.

If you look at coaching hires, there is no real correlation between performance in year 1 and overall performance. For every coach that rolls in and wins big from the very start there are two who seem great at first but can’t sustain a program.

Likewise, often really excellent coaches struggle in year 1 for a variety of reasons (roster churn, too much change too fast, humans make mistakes, unable to get prefered staff, etc).

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be anywhere close to calling for his head if things don't go well this year, that would be ridiculous. It's smart to give him a bit of a grace period.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Wildhog

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 01:19:20 pm
Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't be anywhere close to calling for his head if things don't go well this year, that would be ridiculous. It's smart to give him a bit of a grace period.

There were plenty of red flags in CBB's first year. 

CCM shouldn't be judged on year one, but red flags should be noted (as well as indicators of future success, like Petrino showed in '08/'09).
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

East TN HAWG

I can't say that I'm all in on the coaches.  Most seem to be giving the offensive coaches a pass.   

I am worried how a OL coach with only GA and 3 years experience at SMU will match wits against the SEC elite DL coaches.  We just hired one of those with Anderson, and it did not work out so well.  The same with other offensive coaches. 

I feel more confident on the defensive side because of the experience of Caldwell and team.  They've actually been through the SEC grind before.  Its easy looking at the SEC from the outside, but when you start playing in it you realize how hard it is top to bottom. 

The Kig

Quote from: GuvHog on January 04, 2018, 12:50:33 pm
Arkansas returns 73 players from last year and 16 starters. Chad has inherited a good situation at Arkansas and I believe his Hogs will surprise some people this year.

Very cautiously hopeful that we can surprise.  Having 16 starters from a historically bad team.... not exactly a massive reason to believe we are suddenly going to win.  Our schedule is better, our staff is better, and hopefully the players performance was a reflection of the poor coaching. 
Poker Porker

hoghearted

I won't necessarily be focused so much on wins, than on how they perform overall. I don't want to see them squander double digit leads after the first half, or come out with absolutely no adjustments in the second. No bone headed mistakes, stupid penalties, or wth play calling.
It really is this simple. Unchecked government power leads to corruption, and lack of accountability for it is drastically eroding confidence in our institutions.    aristotle

redeye

Petrino was the only hire that I've ever been 100% full in, because I had no doubt that he'd be successful.  Unfortunately, uncertainty is normally part of the process.  I'm not even certain that Saban would be successful at Arkansas, given his less-than-stellar performances when he lacked outstanding talent. 

Petrino had proven himself with lesser talent, so that was some of my reasoning.  Having said that, Bielema also had proven himself with lesser talent, except when it came to top programs like Ohio State, so that gave me pause.  Scott Frost was the "option" that I would have been most certain about, but I put option in quotes, because we all know he wasn't really an option.

But I'm still excited about Morris.  I like his enthusiasm, his reputation in Texas and that he's not an over-the-hill coach who I know will struggle.  He's still somewhat of an unknown and I think that's the best you can usually hope to get.  Hiring an established coach who's known to win everywhere is very rare for any school.  And it wouldn't surprise me one bit if Fisher or Kelley disappoint at A&M or UCLA, because it seems to happen more often than not with coaches of that caliber, after they take on a new job.

I like that Morris is young, but not so young that he's still learning the ropes.  I like that he has contacts in the profession and that he's respected in it.  I also really like that his HUNH offense is balanced and still respects TOP, which should make it easier on his DC.  Look at it this way... if we're able to split TOP with power running schools, like LSU, then that means we're running more plays on offense than that school, since we're playing hurry up.

Pork Twain

Positivity is the sunlight to the Hogville negativity vampires.
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

https://www.facebook.com/groups/sweetmemes/

Hawgzinbowlz

New coaches deserve our support until it becomes unwarranted.

" GO HOGS "

Wildhog

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on January 04, 2018, 10:50:16 pm
New coaches deserve our support until it becomes unwarranted.

" GO HOGS "

Totally agree.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

EastexHawg

I don't know how to decide I am going to support or not support someone or something, believe or not believe something based on what I wish would happen.  I always look at and make decisions about things for what they are, not what I want them to be.

One thing for sure I know about Morris and every other coach is that nothing any of us say, think, or do will affect the outcome of a single play, game, or season.

BearsBisonsBoars

Quote from: hogsanity on January 04, 2018, 09:50:15 am
What is the point of "being all in " on a coach though, as a fan. The only people that need to be all in are the players and the staff. It matters not one whit if you or I are " all in " for a coach.

You really think players and recruits don't hear the chatter?

Phil D

Quote from: SemperHawg on January 04, 2018, 09:26:01 am
I take the position of being all in on the program, the coach is just a paid extension of the program and can be adjusted/removed if results are undesirable.

This is my position as well.
GO HOGS!!!!!!

Pork Twain

I just am still at a loss for what good bitching does at this point. 
"It is better to be an optimist and proven wrong, than a pessimist and proven right." ~Pork Twain

Hawgzinbowlz

Quote from: Pork Twain on January 05, 2018, 03:14:05 am
I just am still at a loss for what good bitching does at this point.
Cathartic.   "Crying is cathartic relief".

" GO HOGS "

Pork Twain

Quote from: Hawgzinbowlz on January 05, 2018, 06:28:34 am
Cathartic.   "Crying is cathartic relief".

" GO HOGS "

As we were all in year 1 of JLS and year 4/5 of CBB, but these guys have not even all been announced yet.

jackflash

for me support them until they prove them self

Hogsolo

Changing coaches frequently is bad for a program.   Best scenario is for stability in leadership.

I hate changing coaches and hope we don't have another in my lifetime.

LZH

Quote from: oldhawg on January 04, 2018, 10:11:06 am
The decision has been made.  My opinion carries no weight.  I have no influence or sources.

This. Why do people cry "give him a chance" about a coach when it's already a done deal....as if I/we had any say to begin with?

Besides, btw, he 'has a chance '. He's the coach right now, ya know. It's all up to him....not me/us.

opineonswine

SportsTalkwBo
18h18 hours ago
McGee: My favorite hire of the offseason was Arkansas hiring Chad Morris. I'm a fan. I saw what he did at Clemson. What got that program turned around was Chad Morris.

@SportsTalkwBo
18h18 hours ago
McGee: I think Arkansas fans should be beyond thrilled (about John Chavis). ... I think he's going to be a huge hire. The A&M job was always going to be a little tough.