Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

SEC opens 0-3 in 2017 Bowl action

Started by Rayzback, December 29, 2017, 07:49:44 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Rayzback

December 29, 2017, 07:49:44 pm Last Edit: December 29, 2017, 08:22:44 pm by Rayzback
You may not buy into the conference pride thing, but this time of year I like to see the other teams in the conference win. With an 0-3 start, how do you see the conference finishing?

L: Missouri vs. Texas
L: Texas A&M vs. Wake Forest
L: Kentucky vs. (21) Northwestern
TBD: (23) Mississippi State vs. Louisville
TBD: South Carolina vs. Michigan
TBD: (12) UCF vs. (7) Auburn
TBD: (17) LSU vs. (14) Notre Dame
TBD:(3) Georgia vs. (2) Oklahoma
TBD(4) Alabama vs. (1) Clemson
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

jbcarol

Dave Matter
‏Verified account @Dave_Matter
11h11 hours ago

Matter on Mizzou: No-show by offense sank Tigers in Texas Bowl http://www.stltoday.com/sports/college/mizzou/matter-on-mizzou-no-show-by-offense-sank-tigers-in/article_83d94365-7a14-55df-939e-b012c9887970.html ... via @stltoday

Texas 33  Mizzou 16
Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Brent Zwerneman
‏ @BrentZwerneman
3h3 hours ago

Texas A&M falls to Wake Forest, 55-52, in wild Belk Bowl: http://www.chron.com/sports/aggies/article/Texas-A-M-falls-to-Wake-Forest-55-52-in-wild-12462514.php ... via @houstonchron

Curated SEC Infotainment and aggregated college sports updates where it just means more on Hogville.net

jbcarol

Joe Mussatto‏Verified account @joe_mussatto

Final in Music City Bowl: Northwestern 24, Kentucky 23.

Agree or disagree with Kentucky going for 2?

Adam Sparks
‏ @AdamSparks
6m6 minutes ago

I asked Music City Bowl referee Chris Coyte if Benny Snell's grab & push was intentional contact. Coyte said, "That's how I ruled. Yes."

Music City Bowl referee Chris Coyte on Benny Snell ejection: "The player got up and grabbed my arms and pushed them away and contacted me. That's a foul."

LRRandy

Rough start for the sec. Big boys better bring it.
This is fun, isn't it.

holeinthewall

Exactly why Bama didn't deserve the 4th spot with that weak schedule.  Clemson is going to pull a train on them.

LRRandy

Quote from: holeinthewall on December 30, 2017, 03:51:36 am
Exactly why Bama didn't deserve the 4th spot with that weak schedule.  Clemson is going to pull a train on them.
man I would love to see that.
This is fun, isn't it.

ishankem

It's going to be a disappointing bowl season. I thought sec would go 4-5 in bowl games, but I don't think it will be that good. I predict both Bama and Georgia lose on Monday

Peter Porker

Quote from: ishankem on December 30, 2017, 01:36:21 pm
It's going to be a disappointing bowl season. I thought sec would go 4-5 in bowl games, but I don't think it will be that good. I predict both Bama and Georgia lose on Monday

We can only hope.
Quote from: Peter Porker on January 08, 2014, 04:03:21 pm
Notice he says your boy instead of "our coach". Very telling.

I'm not worried. If he recruits like he did here Louisville will fire him in about 5 years.

jbcarol

Clarion Ledger‏Verified account @clarionledger

Mississippi State stops Lamar Jackson behind Mark McLaurin's 3 interceptions

QuoteMcLaurin intercepted three passes on Saturday in No. 23 Mississippi State's 31-27 win over Louisville in the TaxSlayer Bowl. That's remarkable. Here's the extraordinary part: He did so against Lamar Jackson, who won the Heisman Trophy last year and finished third in the race this year.

When McLaurin raised the bowl's MVP trophy over his head as he stood at a podium on the field, he was showered with chants of "M-V-P!" as everyone around him captured the moment with photos and videos.

"It was for everybody," McLaurin said. "It wasn't just me."

Several of MSU's defenders did step up. Montez Sweat had four tackles, including three for a loss, with a sack. Johnathan Abrams racked up nine tackles with a sack. And Erroll Thompson, Willie Gay Jr. and Kobe Jones all made plays. Under interim defensive coordiantor Ron English, the defense looked prepared. Jackson broke explosive running plays and finished with 158 rushing yards and a touchdown on 24 carries, but struggled to find any rhythm through the air.

Jackson completed only 13 of 31 passes. He threw for 171 yards with two touchdowns and four interceptions. MSU's front overwhelmed Louisville's offensive line and Jackson was sacked six times. He was hurried three more times and was constantly forced to move backward and out of the pocket.

"I didn't think they would blitz as much as they did," Louisville coach Bobby Petrino said.

jbcarol

Michael Carvell‏ @Michael_Carvell

ESPN's Booger McFarland on Big Ten's perfect bowl record: We should forget 55 points to Iowa?

QuoteBig Ten is riding a huge, unmistakable horse after the conference picked up two wins in New Year's Six bowls on Saturday, giving it an impressive 7-0 record in bowl games so far this season.

First, Penn State held off Washington for a 35-28 win in the Fiesta Bowl. Then, Wisconsin topped Miami, 34-24, and earned bonus points for doing it in the Orange Bowl against the Hurricanes.

Those victories came a day after conference champion Ohio State dominated USC in the Cotton Bowl, 24-7.

Naturally, Big Ten supporters are going to come out and use the league's unblemished mark to argue against why it wasn't represented in the College Football Playoff.

On Sunday morning, Joel Klatt took aim at the selection process before ESPN's Booger McFarland responded.

Booger‏Verified account @ESPNBooger

Booger Retweeted Joel Klatt

So because a conference is 7-0 in bowl games we should forget 55  points to Iowa ..... gotcha    4 Best is subjective, sounds like you want metrics or computers to decide ?

Dudeman

Im a fan of the Arkansas Razorbacks not the SEC. Whatever happens happens.
Abstinence is the sincerest form of frustration.

You can't have half holes or partial holes because all holes are whole holes.

Qui Gon Jinn

Quote from: Dudeman on January 01, 2018, 02:40:15 pm

This.
The expert in anything was once a beginner.

(notOM)Rebel123

Comparing league records in bowl games doesn't mean a thing. Like Bob Stoops a few years ago spouting off how the bottom 1/2 the Big 12 was better than the bottom of the SEC. Nobody told him the bottom 5 of the Big 12 would be 6-10 in the SEC, not teams 10-14. I thin' a better garage is how many "favorites"win their bowl games.
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

The Kig

Quote from: Dudeman on January 01, 2018, 02:40:15 pm

If you don't understand the impact that a 2-5 start for the SEC has on Arkansas, then you're just being obtuse.  The overall power/clout of the SEC brand has greatly paid dividends for a mediocre to bad Razorback program since we joined the SEC. 
Poker Porker

oldbooniehog

I wish the SEC teams not called Arkansas could lose every bowl game twice.

hog.goblin

Quote from: The Kig on January 01, 2018, 04:29:52 pm
If you don't understand the impact that a 2-5 start for the SEC has on Arkansas, then you're just being obtuse.  The overall power/clout of the SEC brand has greatly paid dividends for a mediocre to bad Razorback program since we joined the SEC. 

I understand other SEC teams winning is part of the reason why Arkansas kids go to Bama, Auburn, etc.  I root for every SEC team to lose every game they play until we can catch up and pass them.  Being mediocre in the SEC has got us nothing but cash.  The cash was coming one way or another and hasn't changed much.

The Kig

Quote from: hog.goblin on January 01, 2018, 05:03:55 pm
I understand other SEC teams winning is part of the reason why Arkansas kids go to Bama, Auburn, etc.  I root for every SEC team to lose every game they play until we can catch up and pass them.  Being mediocre in the SEC has got us nothing but cash.  The cash was coming one way or another and hasn't changed much.

The cash only came (and will continue to do so) BECAUSE the SEC was strong, in fact the strongest, which is why the # of SEC teams gets bids and the payout is so high.  When that stops being true, the money will start to dwindle.
Poker Porker

hog.goblin

Quote from: The Kig on January 01, 2018, 05:41:36 pm
The cash only came (and will continue to do so) BECAUSE the SEC was strong, in fact the strongest, which is why the # of SEC teams gets bids and the payout is so high.  When that stops being true, the money will start to dwindle.

And a theoretical drop in cash for us, if that happens because the SEC drops to 2nd or 3rd best, harms us how?  What would $2 - $5M a year less do to Arkansas?  Would it would have a larger negative impact than the positive from adding 1 - 3 of the top instate kids each year, along with maybe 1 or 2 more from just outside the state?

jbcarol

Tom Green
‏Verified account @Tomas_Verde
Jan 1

Instant analysis: Auburn falters in Peach Bowl as UCF completes undefeated season http://www.al.com/auburnfootball/index.ssf/2018/01/peach_bowl_instant_analysis.html ...

UCF 34 Auburn 27 | Tigers finish (10-4)

jbcarol

Ross Dellenger
‏Verified account @RossDellenger
Jan 1

#NotreDame has beaten #LSU 21-17 in the #Citrus Bowl.

The Tigers finish Ed Orgeron's first season 9-4.

#LSU ran 75 plays in the Citrus Bowl and ... - 41 were in Notre Dame territory (55%) - 14 were in the ND red zone (19%) - 6 were at or inside the ND 3-yard line Total points: 17 Total TDs: 2

jbcarol

GoGamecocks
‏Verified account @gogamecocks
Jan 1

South Carolina rallies to beat Michigan in Outback Bowl http://scne.ws/Q8Sxld  #thestate #gg

26-19

On the big stage, South Carolina's defense delivers on every front http://scne.ws/Q8Tm7t  #thestate #gg

holeinthewall

Quote from: jbcarol on January 03, 2018, 05:59:04 am
GoGamecocks
‏Verified account @gogamecocks
Jan 1

South Carolina rallies to beat Michigan in Outback Bowl http://scne.ws/Q8Sxld  #thestate #gg

26-19

On the big stage, South Carolina's defense delivers on every front http://scne.ws/Q8Tm7t  #thestate #gg

It was more of Michigan imploding with turnovers.