Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Chavis new DC

Started by FrJoseph, December 27, 2017, 09:09:08 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Pigsknuckles

Quote from: 010HogFan on December 29, 2017, 05:35:09 pm
You must not be looking very hard

Not a hard look...sometimes folks think things through too hard.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

ballinhog

Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on December 29, 2017, 04:23:52 pm
Well,  if we want to be more than 4-8, we need to do better than 50 points and a million yards surrendered to a meme team from the ACC.

IF Chavis becomes our DC,  I'll keep my mouth shut and support him until he proves my doubts right,  if he does.  But I will still have those doubts unless he proves me wrong.

That's pretty much the way you should take it. Nothing wrong with what u said and it really doesn't disagree with what I said. I'm with u 100% on this

Bash

Quote from: Pigsknuckles on December 29, 2017, 05:33:39 pm
Pardon me while I consult with my Chivas.

I think many here have already done that.
The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

Bash

Quote from: Justifiable Hogicide on December 29, 2017, 06:34:24 pm
Certainly not the "Best Defensive Coordinator in the Country"

Lot's of...uh...something here....

The past was erased, the erasure was forgotten, the lie became truth.

HawgwildinMI

Arkansas is getting the most reputable DC we've possibly EVER had and some of you still can't be happy. Of all the names mentioned none can hold a candle to John Chavis and the things he's accomplished at the highest level in CFB. The SEC. Facts are facts and if you want to bring up A&M performing poorly you should consider the fact his defenses were held back from going as hard as they should have when practicing against the offense. Bobby Petrino done the same and went as far as attacking Bobby Allen for his Dline making to much contact with our o line at the time. Offense was A&Ms bread and butter. This is an all star hire for Arkansas.

bigpigonthehill

Quote from: HawgwildinMI on December 29, 2017, 11:14:49 pm
Arkansas is getting the most reputable DC we've possibly EVER had and some of you still can't be happy. Of all the names mentioned none can hold a candle to John Chavis and the things he's accomplished at the highest level in CFB. The SEC. Facts are facts and if you want to bring up A&M performing poorly you should consider the fact his defenses were held back from going as hard as they should have when practicing against the offense. Bobby Petrino done the same and went as far as attacking Bobby Allen for his Dline making to much contact with our o line at the time. Offense was A&Ms bread and butter. This is an all star hire for Arkansas.

The problem is that I don't think we will be able to score 60 or more points to win games against good teams. This guy might work against Tulsa but not Auburn or Alabama. We need defense but not a defense that allows the other team to score 50 or more points. Just saying :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
How the hell did we wind up like this? Why weren't we able to see the signs that we missed? And try to turn the tables. Nothing is wrong, just as long as you know that someday I will. Some day, Some how. Gonna make it alright but not right now. I know you're wondering when.

LZH

Quote from: HawgwildinMI on December 29, 2017, 11:14:49 pm
Facts are facts and if you want to bring up A&M performing poorly you should consider the fact his defenses were held back from going as hard as they should have when practicing against the offense. Bobby Petrino done the same and went as far as attacking Bobby Allen for his Dline making to much contact with our o line at the time.

What makes you think Morris won't do the same thing?

SooieGeneris

December 29, 2017, 11:58:59 pm #307 Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 12:12:56 am by SooieGeneris
Quote from: Sulla on December 29, 2017, 04:17:34 pm
Did you see the A&M/UCLA game?  He's taken the entire year off.

I saw it and I saw his DBs turn 2-3 INTS into TDs for UCLA simply by not catching the ball when it hit them in the hands. He had them in the right coverage and they dropped the ball. I'm sure that was HIS fault also.

Also, that true freshman QB Mond was 3-17 passing for 27 yards after Starkel got hurt. Surely Chavis, the DC should have coached up the backup QB better than that too..

A&M had almost 400 yards rushing in that game and hardly ran the ball in the 4th quarter. Mond kept throwing incomplete passes stopping the clock, giving UCLA more time to come back.
An Old OL coach who's team couldn't block a hat last season... If things aren't MUCH better this fall,  enjoy Hot Springs Sammy!

bennyl08

Quote from: davril98 on December 28, 2017, 04:29:44 pm
Moses might be a good OC.  Could probably open some big holes in the defensive line.

Moses for OL coach. Just make sure he has a GPS unfit otherwise we might lose him for 40 years.
Quote from: PorkSoda on May 05, 2016, 09:24:05 pm
damn I thought it was only a color, didn't realize it was named after a liqueur. leave it to benny to make me research the history of chartreuse

LawyerHog50

I am going to reverse my negativity on the DC hire. While research did not cheer me up on CCM, the research on Chavis definitely cheers me up.

While this years numbers are a red flag, if you put it in context over 28 years, this past year at A&M was his worst in history and very likely an anomaly.

In 28 years, his average defensive rank is #23 in the nation. His median ranking is a little better.
Let me crunch a few numbers.
Top three worst years are #52 and #62 and #81. Best are #2, #4 and #8.
Take out his worst three year and his top three years and you get a #20 ranking.
Another funny number? take out this years probable anomaly of a season and his overall ranking goes up to only #21.

1989: 18.1 (23)
1990: 16.9 (19)
1991: 21.9 (52)
1992: 16.3 (18)
1993: 14.6 ( 8 )
1994: 17.3 (17)
1995: 19.0 (26)
1996: 15.4 (9)
1997: 22.0 (42)
1998: 14.5 ( 8 )
1999: 16.2 ( 8 )
2000: 20.6 (29)
2001: 19.3 (20)
2002: 17.5 (11)
2003: 18.4 (17)
2004: 22.7 (39)
2005: 18.6 (15)
2006: 19.5 (33)
2007: 27.3 (62)
2008: 16.8 (10)
2009: 16.2 (11)
2010: 18.2 (11)
2011: 11.3 (2)
2012: 17.5 (12)
2013: 22.0 (21)
2014: 17.5 (4)
2015: 22.0 (28)
2016: 24.5 (39)
2017: 28.7 (81)

This man can coach. Naysayers about his recruiting ignore the fact that his defenses at LSU and TN didn't get worse as time went by. Adding Caldwell to the staff will make it even better.

Not the "best DC in the country", but still pretty darn good. Can't complain about this hire. Nine win seasons may be common if the staff sticks around
"The definition of swagger, in my opinion, is you have to have that arrogance, that confidence that you are the best out there at all times." Keyshawn Johnson

HawgTide

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 30, 2017, 02:20:38 pm
I am going to reverse my negativity on the DC hire. While research did not cheer me up on CCM, the research on Chavis definitely cheers me up.

While this years numbers are a red flag, if you put it in context over 28 years, this past year at A&M was his worst in history and very likely an anomaly.

In 28 years, his average defensive rank is #23 in the nation. His median ranking is a little better.
Take out his worst three year and his top three years and you get a #20 ranking.
Another funny number? take out this years probable anomaly of a season and his overall ranking goes up to only #21.

This man can coach. Naysayers about his recruiting ignore the fact that his defenses at LSU and TN didn't get worse as time went by. Adding Caldwell to the staff will make it even better.

Not the "best DC in the country", but still pretty darn good. Can't complain about this hire. Nine win seasons may be common if the staff sticks around

Great research! Chavis with an aggressive defensive staff will be better than anything we've had in a long, long time

Redhogs

Quote from: HawgTide on December 30, 2017, 02:34:09 pm

Great research! Chavis with an aggressive defensive staff will be better than anything we've had in a long, long time
Ha..ha...yeah, best DC in the country...sarcasm off.
Will I live long enough to see us win again? Will any of us?

HawgwildinMI

Quote from: bigpigonthehill on December 29, 2017, 11:45:50 pm
The problem is that I don't think we will be able to score 60 or more points to win games against good teams. This guy might work against Tulsa but not Auburn or Alabama. We need defense but not a defense that allows the other team to score 50 or more points. Just saying :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke: :puke:
Your concerns are legitimate. My perspective is while at A&M he was handcuffed when it came to running his defense as he felt it should be ran in regards to how they were allowed to practice. Not making excuses and like I said your concern are legit. I just tend to look at his complete body of work from Tenner to LSU as well and I can't think of anyone available that would come to Arkansas with such a strong resume. If he doesn't recruit as some speculate he has to be one hell player developer and that excites me. We will see how it works but there is no doubt he is the most reputable DC I've personally ever seen at Arkansas in my 35 yrs.

Hawginj

Quote from: LawyerHog50 on December 30, 2017, 02:20:38 pm

He is a good coach not denying that but you are leaving out the keys to his success. Tennessee was a powerhouse program before and during his time there no recruiting nessary. LSU was due to homegrown talent who wolud have gone to school there reguardless of the coach and the defensive numbers would have been the same,TAMU was the first time while in the SEC that he had any resistance in recruiting whatsoever and we see the trend there.

Chorizo Hogriguez

Quote from: bigpigonthehill on December 29, 2017, 11:45:50 pm

it will be ok man

Hawgzinbowlz

Robb Smith was a much better DC in '14 (Philon, Flowers and Spaight) than in '15 when all three had moved on.

Any DC we get will need 2 years to recruit and build his side of the ball...Any expectations of The Razorbacks fielding an upper tier defense immediately is delusional.

Year to year progress is what I'm looking for with year 3 being the litmus test.

" GO HOGS "

The Kig

Quote from: Hawginj on December 31, 2017, 11:07:44 am
He is a good coach not denying that but you are leaving out the keys to his success. Tennessee was a powerhouse program before and during his time there no recruiting nessary. LSU was due to homegrown talent who wolud have gone to school there reguardless of the coach and the defensive numbers would have been the same,TAMU was the first time while in the SEC that he had any resistance in recruiting whatsoever and we see the trend there.

The extremely tired argument that Chavis doesn't like to/can't recruit spun a whole new way.  For sharts and giggles, here's a question for all the idiotic Chavis naysayers:  IF LSU and Tenner were indeed powerhouses that just had talent oozing from every pore, couldn't those schools hire anyone they chose to be a DC?  So why did those teams hire him?  Why did A&M, who had a bankroll big enough to hire anyone, make him one of the highest paid coaches (both HC & coordinator) in the country?

At Tenner, Fulmer let his coaches coach.  At LSU, Miles was a mad hatter, but smart enough to also let his coaches coach.  So it was Chavis's defensive combined with talent that yielded top 10 defenses. 

A&M was a different issue and a unique situation. Sure he had talent with Texas faltering and the defense was his, but as we are about to find out... The reality of the go fast offenses means that regardless of whether they go 3 & out or score quickly, the defense is going to be back on the field again soon.  Unless they can get pressure, a sack or an INT the defense is going to wear down.  The ball control Offenses at LSU and Tenner also contributed to the defensive stats because the D wasn't worn out from being on the field 35+ minutes a game.  Of course you need talent to make a defensive (or offensive) staff look brilliant, but Nutt showed us first hand that a dumb coach can outweigh talent on the field.  Chavis has built a reputation for having aggressive Defenses, which is why A&M and now Morris want him. 

Finally ANY poster who points to the Wake game as a reason he is the wrong choice is either willfully ignorant or just plain dumb.  Lack of control was part of the reason Sumlin lost his job.  Combine that with a complete lame duck coaching staff and it becomes very difficult to keep the attention of 17+ year old kids.

Poker Porker

Hawginj

Quote from: The Kig on December 31, 2017, 01:35:52 pm
The extremely tired argument that Chavis doesn't like to/can't recruit spun a whole new way.  For sharts and giggles, here's a question for all the idiotic Chavis naysayers:  IF LSU and Tenner were indeed powerhouses that just had talent oozing from every pore, couldn't those schools hire anyone they chose to be a DC?  So why did those teams hire him?  Why did A&M, who had a bankroll big enough to hire anyone, make him one of the highest paid coaches (both HC & coordinator) in the country?

At Tenner, Fulmer let his coaches coach.  At LSU, Miles was a mad hatter, but smart enough to also let his coaches coach.  So it was Chavis's defensive combined with talent that yielded top 10 defenses. 

A&M was a different issue and a unique situation. Sure he had talent with Texas faltering and the defense was his, but as we are about to find out... The reality of the go fast offenses means that regardless of whether they go 3 & out or score quickly, the defense is going to be back on the field again soon.  Unless they can get pressure, a sack or an INT the defense is going to wear down.  The ball control Offenses at LSU and Tenner also contributed to the defensive stats because the D wasn't worn out from being on the field 35+ minutes a game.  Of course you need talent to make a defensive (or offensive) staff look brilliant, but Nutt showed us first hand that a dumb coach can outweigh talent on the field.  Chavis has built a reputation for having aggressive Defenses, which is why A&M and now Morris want him. 

Finally ANY poster who points to the Wake game as a reason he is the wrong choice is either willfully ignorant or just plain dumb.  Lack of control was part of the reason Sumlin lost his job.  Combine that with a complete lame duck coaching staff and it becomes very difficult to keep the attention of 17+ year old kids.
My statement isnt a spin its a cold hard fact! The hiring of Chavis is fine, like I said hes a good coach. He's not the fit others are in my opinion. You're correct the style of offense has everything to do with the defense you cant expect the defense to be outstanding if they are on the field most of the game, in order to be a great defense in todays game turnovers are key its not about yards anymore its about scoring defense and takeaways.

RedyorNot

[/

I'm not disagreeing on the lack of control aspect, but competitors at any level, lame duck coach or not do NOT want to lose or look stupid or appear inept in any way. Saying otherwise is the ignorant statement.

A&M's average time of possession was 28:43, SMU's was 29.30. Auburn was 31:24, Clemson 31:70. Ranking wise, that's 89th, 78th, 31st and 21st. So unless Morris is going to dial it back to gain those extra 3 minutes a game, Chavis had better figure out how to install a defensive game plan to account for rapid change of possession. He hasn't shown that aptitude for new tricks over the last three years, what worked with those ball control offenses at LSU and Tenner doesn't anymore.

HeyHogs

Completely tone deaf.  The administration is completely tone deaf.  Just take his salary and flush it down the toilet.  Not excited at all with this hire.

Wild Bill Hog

Quote from: HeyHogs on December 31, 2017, 06:44:21 pm
Completely tone deaf.  The administration is completely tone deaf.  Just take his salary and flush it down the toilet.  Not excited at all with this hire.

Well that will for sure break a bunch of hearts.

Dirty

Huh?  What?

ricepig

You mean the head coach, don't you?

wwrogers5

He is surrounding himself with a young energetic staff. Hoping for DC from Clemson.  Not a 61 year old who has seen his better days.

PorkSoda

Quote from: wwrogers5 on December 31, 2017, 07:11:42 pm
He is surrounding himself with a young energetic staff. Hoping for DC from Clemson.  Not a 61 year old who has seen his better days.
if nothing else Chavis knows what good defensive players look like.  he has the rings to prove it.  and he has the SEC experience that morris lacks.

Chavis would be a home run hire by an unproven head coach. 

do you want to recruit top tier defenders, or just complain that we don't have them?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

The Kig

Quote from: RedyorNot on December 31, 2017, 06:25:06 pm
So unless Morris is going to dial it back to gain those extra 3 minutes a game, Chavis had better figure out how to install a defensive game plan to account for rapid change of possession. He hasn't shown that aptitude for new tricks over the last three years, what worked with those ball control offenses at LSU and Tenner doesn't anymore.

Very few Defenses have figured out the formula to offset the impact the shift away from clock churning drives to up tempo on the Offensive side of the ball.  Not only are these Offenses designed to put enormous pressure on opposing Defenses, they do the same for their own Defense.  I have no issue with the shift towards high octane offenses.  They are designed to shift the balance to the advantage of the offense, even if the talent level isn't the same.  However, "solving" the Defensive question has haunted even vaunted minds like Saban with all his 5* talent. 
Poker Porker

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: FrJoseph on December 28, 2017, 04:31:34 pm
Jesus doesn't run it enough........ that "high flying" spread will never work in the SEC......😎😎😎

Fr Joe

You nailed it.
[CENSORED]!

SSFrazorback

Quote from: grayhawg on December 27, 2017, 09:22:53 pm
have a habit of being premature or flat out wrong.

Wow, my wife is on HV.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: SSFrazorback on January 05, 2018, 01:10:36 pm
Wow, my wife is on HV.

When you're premature they tell everyone.........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Uncle Remus

Let's call a spade a spade.  Despite extremely deep pockets at TA&M, that place has been a dumpster fire.  Never have you seen so many top level talents sign and get out of there.  There have been many issues going on there for several years that they chose to overlook in hopes of having another Manziel come through there.  Sumlin has had issues for years that were swept under the rug in favor of keeping him in place, and when they finally decided to pull the trigger, anyone who thought that they were going to pull it together for the bowl game this year or this season is not living in the real world.  I think most figured he was a dead man walking this year and I think that with all that was going on, they let that infection fester for a few years too long.  If it is indeed Chavis, I want to see what he can do here before I go any further with judgements or failing to meet expectations.