Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

the remainder of non conference

Started by flippinhogmana, December 12, 2017, 12:14:25 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

flippinhogmana

December 12, 2017, 12:14:25 pm Last Edit: December 12, 2017, 12:24:58 pm by flippinhogmana
I agree with LBBF on her pronouncement of the likelihood of us being 9-4 at the end of non-conference, but not completely sold on that forecast.  The reason being is that Grambling is a win (they got beat by Florida State for example by 40), and most likely so is UT-Arlington, but I am not so sure that we cant beat ASU. 

ASU also played FSU - but on the road - and lost by 11.  I think ASU - if it was played on our home court or even a neutral court - could be a win for us. On the road may be a different matter.  They played Miss State reasonably close and they have good height.  They match up better with MSU than we ever could. 

But at the worst - how we play against them - could give us a barometer of how we will fare against SEC competition.  I give us a chance - because Williams was not playing like she is now - against particularly Nebraska, but she is better since Kansas as well (some of that might be level of competition though).  If Macy Weaver can improve more and more, we will be better than most anyone gives us a chance to be - particularly at the start of the season.

Ut-Arlington should be a test for us, but we should beat them. They have a 6-4ish player that (senior) is their second leading scorer and seems to be a good player (all conference last year) but they dont score like we do, so with it being at our place - I give us the nod just as coach did,  so 9-4 is likely, but I give us a possibility of going into Tempe and knocking them off for a very big win for us, making us 10-3 before we face Mississippi.

Concerning the SEC, thank God we dont start of on the road again this year, like it seems that we have always done.  Ole Miss is currently 8-1 but they haven't played hardly anyone to gauge their performance against.  They do have a good 6-5 freshman, however, that is their fourth leading scorer and has a lot of blocked shots.  At least we have them at home. 
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

Quote from: flippinhogmana on December 12, 2017, 12:14:25 pm

Concerning the SEC, thank God we dont start of on the road again this year, like it seems that we have always done.  Ole Miss is currently 8-1 but they haven't played hardly anyone to gauge their performance against.  They do have a good 6-5 freshman, however, that is their fourth leading scorer and has a lot of blocked shots.  At least we have them at home. 

Flippin, I would not worry about the 6'5" freshman too much - she is slow to get back on defense.  We need to run, run, run.  Williams was the first down the court against Tulsa and will have a big game against Ole Miss - if she makes her free throws.
As far as ASU, I think we have a shot because they are not in the top 25, but they are just outside of it.  They have a long time coach with plenty of post season experience so our chance is no better than 10- 20% which is why I said it is a loss.
As far as Weaver goes, you are being overly optimistic as she has not had much experience except against Nebraska.  Coach still goes to Thomas first.  We need Weaver to be playing and effective to really compete in most games, but I do not see it coming until next year - hopefully.  This is based upon the fact that coach has used her very limited so far and there has to be a reason.

flippinhogmana

everything you say is true.  I give us about the same chance.  As for as Weaver, that too is true.  But she is now the ninth player off the bench instead of the 11th - all that was based on what she did against Nebraska.  I noticed in the last game he took her out pretty quickly - then talked to her - and put her right back in - I am certain you and I would do something similar if we wanted to correct something. 

I believe that he is investing in her because of what he sees in her.  I would also agree with almost of what you say about her - my enthusiasm about her comes from watching her.  MN referred to her as a project (see pm) but I think he is seeing what I see - she is getting it.  Just for example she was used to loping down the floor when she came here and at the early part of the season.  Williams and Thomas have shown her something.  In the last game she was sprinting. 

She is not assertive ((I mentioned that in the last thread) but her energy level is up.  Moreover, WE NEED HER this year, not just the next three.  The kitten has to grow up quick.

As far as Ole Miss, you predicted a win?  I am not sure I would go that far, but I am excited that you did!
Like the erstwhile Clark Kent, my true identity is shielded.  I am an author, Nathan J. Allison is my pen name.

LadybackBBFan

I believe all my predictions for victory were close - just slightly better than 50% - that is like a toss up in an election or within the margin of error.  I agree she was taken out to talk to her and then put right back into the game - not for Thomas who replaced her, but for Swenson.  This allowed Thomas to play the four which I really like, but do not know if she is ready to play that position this year.

flippinhogmana

Quote from: LadybackBBFan on December 12, 2017, 04:17:40 pm
I believe all my predictions for victory were close - just slightly better than 50% - that is like a toss up in an election or within the margin of error.  I agree she was taken out to talk to her and then put right back into the game - not for Thomas who replaced her, but for Swenson.  This allowed Thomas to play the four which I really like, but do not know if she is ready to play that position this year.

to which I would say she isnt - not yet.  But for stretches, and maybe more and more she may be.

flippinhogmana

and I would agree that Thomas' more natural position in the college game will be the four

flippinhogmana

http://www.arkansasrazorbacks.com/wp-content/uploads/2017/11/Jailyn-Mason-with-ball-vs-ACU.jpg

FAYETTEVILLE, Ark. – Final exams may be over, but the University of Arkansas women's basketball team will test itself against the UT-Arlington Mavericks on Sunday at 2 p.m. in Bud Walton Arena.

GAME INFORMATION
Date: Sunday, Dec. 17, 2017
Tip: 2 p.m.
Watch: Click here
Tickets: Click here
Arkansas has won two in a row and four of their last five games as the team, under the direction of first-year head coach Mike Neighbors, continues to build momentum. The game airs on SECN+.

Scouting Arkansas
Arkansas returns to competition after a week of final exams. The Razorbacks are 7-3 on the year with three non-conference games remaining before the start of Southeastern Conference play. Arkansas leads the SEC and ranks second in the nation averaging 10.0 turnovers per game. The Razorbacks lead the conference in fewest turnovers (100) and 3-point field goals attempted (294) and rank second in rebounds per game (43.2), 3-point field goals made (80) and 3-point field goals per game (8.0).

Graduate student Devin Cosper and junior Malica Monk have provided the lion's share of the offense and have scored in double figures in all 10 games this year. Sophomore Jailyn Mason has been in double-digits in four consecutive games and the rebounding efforts of Kiara Williams and Taylah Thomas have been key in recent wins.

Scouting Texas-Arlington
Picked to win the Sun Belt title, UT-Arlington enters the week with a 5-4 record. The Mavericks have lost four in a row including back-to-back road games. They have a convincing win over Oral Roberts, 70-46, a team the Razorbacks defeated by 11 points earlier this year.

Crystal Allen leads the team with 14.6 points per game. She is the leading 3-point threat as well with 19 makes from beyond the arc. Rebekah VanDijk also averages double figures with 11.6 ppg and leads the team with 8.9 rebounds per game.

Up Next
Arkansas returns to the road for their sixth game away from Bud Walton Arena traveling to Arizona State on Dec. 21. The team breaks for the holiday and hosts Grambling State on Dec. 28, in the final non-conference contest. SEC play starts early this year as Arkansas welcomes Ole Miss to Bud Walton Arena on Dec. 31.

More Information
For more information about Arkansas women's basketball, follow us on Twitter and Instagram at @RazorbackWBB and on Facebook at Facebook.com/RazorbackWBB. Be sure to subscribe to our YouTube Channel, "Kickin' It In The Neighborhood" for an inside look at the Razorback women's basketball program and check out The Neighborhood podcasts at CoachNeighbors.com.

I failed to cite the common game against Oral Roberts when I mentioned this game earlier.  They did beat them more than we did, but their game against them was at home and ours was at Tulsa.