Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

How Arkansas can stop Missouri offense.

Started by TexasHog, November 22, 2017, 06:41:09 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

TexasHog

Missouri likes to run a spread type of offense the reason for this is it spreads the defense out and makes it easier to run the ball.
It's also easy to throw quick passes and screens.

The key to stopping this offense is matching the offenses formation playing lots of press coverage and having the Free Safety and Strong Safety play closer to the line of scrimmage and closer to the middle of the field then normal.
Reason for this is the Safeties are gonna be needed to help stop the run and short passes.
If it's a pass the Safeties need to help with coverage obviously but on a run they need to come in and help shut down the run and the closer they are the faster they can help.

Now the reason for matching the offenses formation is simple you don't want linebackers covering wide receivers because they are too slow and it creates a mismatch Missouri knows this which is another reason they run the spread.

We are gonna need to be playing a Nickel or Dime defense a lot against them as they run a lot of 3-4 wide receiver formations.
Corner backs need to always be covering the wide receivers and linebackers should be covering the Tight ends and running backs.

I believe this would shut them down as long as our Safeties are playing well and our corners can cover their assignments for a few seconds.

Press coverage takes away the short pass
Safeties will help stuff the run
All they will have left is to throw it deep which will be difficult because of no mismatches and safeties that were hopefully paying attention and are there to help.

Mix in a press coverage man blitz every now and then and some heavy zone coverage on obvious passing downs and we might pick a few off too.

If we play 3-4 the entire game they may not be able to run the ball but we will get torched through the air with Mizzou dominating us yet again.

SultanofSwine

Better option might be to sprinkle something on their pre game meal that gives them a case of the runs.

Pigsrus

Quote from: SultanofSwine on November 22, 2017, 07:01:18 pm
Better option might be to sprinkle something on their pre game meal that gives them a case of the runs.
The best strategy I've seen so far on this board.  Franklin, Moore and Johnson all are burners and Lock loves to throw 50+ yard patterns.

TexasHog

Quote from: Pigsrus on November 22, 2017, 07:03:50 pm
The best strategy I've seen so far on this board.  Franklin, Moore and Johnson all are burners and Lock loves to throw 50+ yard patterns.

Won't have time to wait that long hence the press coverage and even if he did the safeties should have had time to see it's not a run and start moving back to help with the pass.
Also wouldn't have linebackers covering those wide receivers.

The majority of the time you see someone get burnt it was either a linebacker covering a wide receiver who is much faster or the guy playing coverage tripped and fell.

What's your plan come out in 3-4 and get burnt every play?

Pigsrus

Quote from: TexasHog on November 22, 2017, 07:13:04 pm
Won't have time to wait that long hence the press coverage and even if he did the safeties should have had time to see it's not a run and start moving back to help with the pass.
Also wouldn't have linebackers covering those wide receivers.

The majority of the time you see someone get burnt it was either a linebacker covering a wide receiver who is much faster or the guy playing coverage tripped and fell.

What's your plan come out in 3-4 and get burnt every play?
Have you watched them?   Most of MU's deep passes come on a corner and safety getting burned by one of their two primary wideouts.  Franklin can't catch with his hands but is great on long ball basket catches. 

moses_007

Our team could just go fishing and forfeit the game. 

TexasHog

Quote from: Pigsrus on November 22, 2017, 07:35:24 pm
Have you watched them?   Most of MU's deep passes come on a corner and safety getting burned by one of their two primary wideouts.  Franklin can't catch with his hands but is great on long ball basket catches.

Well then our guys are gonna have to dominate them at the line of scrimmage and our dline needs to get pressure which I haven't seen all year.

Maybe you're right maybe it's futile lol.

31to6

Quote from: TexasHog on November 22, 2017, 06:41:09 pm
Missouri likes to run a spread type of offense the reason for this is it spreads the defense out and makes it easier to run the ball.
Land mines in the red zone?

Trumps Wall?

Using the hot tub Time Machine to bring in the '85 Bears defense?

Murr

Hogwild

sickboy

Don't play them. If they don't have a defense to oppose, their offense can't gain yards.

Check mate.

RebelliousHog

"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

RebelliousHog

Ill grant you the D did better last week. Not sure if that was because it was  bad game by Miss St or us playing tough. Some of both. They never had any long drives.  The O  helped MissSt out a lot, which hurts the D. Too long on the field
"Some there are who are nothing else than a passage for food and augmenters of excrement and fillers of privies, because through them no other things in the world, nor any good effects are produced, since nothing but full privies results from them."<br />―Leonardo da Vinci

TheGrove68

I'd walk up a OLB on the LOS and bring heat from different sides at various times,also 3 man pressure with delayed blitz...I'd play a lot of  disguised cover 2 and 4 to take away the deep pass and give up the short crap.....I know you will give up a ton of yards underneath and probably a bunch of FG. But making us drive the field and sustain that over 4 qrts will hamper and slow our offense a ton,and once the field shrinks then it will be easier to stop TD's. Beating spread teams is about stopping points and not worrying about yardage! If you try to press us or Blitz to much we will go over the top or hit a WR/TE in the vacated area that you blitz from. Also Lock can scramble a bit if blitzed

Best strategy is to  keep our offense off the field with a grinding Offense of your own.
The Grove...  Home of Don Faurot

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TexasHog on November 22, 2017, 06:41:09 pm
a spread type of offense the reason for this is it spreads the defense out and makes it easier to run the ball.

Really? Thanks for information we all knew.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

We need to stop runs better.....................and passes.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Sow Lancelot

The best thing we could do would be to actually move the ball consistently on offense and score.

If our offense is as anemic as it's been the last 4 weeks, we're toast.
"Nec vitia nostra nec remedium tolerare possumus." Livy
Nihil boni sine labore, sic vis pacem, para bellum.

Hogindasticks

Watch the ball being thrown over our secondary and shooting it out of the sky with a missile.

code red

Agreed nice analysis only problem is....our players won't execute it. 
"If what you did yesterday seems big, you haven't done anything today."  Dr. Lou

BoynamedWooPigSooie

Hogville's resident uniform designer.

Potosihog

Lots of well timed blitzes and solid open field talking are out only hope.  If we rush 3 and play soft coverage Lock will own every Mizzou and lots of SEC records by the end of the day.

LB must hit ISH hard before he gets going.  He is a jitterbug in space and could bust some big runs if our LB get out of position.

If our DB don't have good eye discipline they will be watching rainbows drop into the endzone.

Play disciplined but emotionally fired up football and who knows what could happen.

alohawg

"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Dwight_K_Shrute

Would love it if knowing it's their last game the coaches went total WTH. Bring out every gadget/trick play they have. Play CK and AA together split Cole out wide. Make it crazy, fun, and entertaining as hell
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

alohawg

Quote from: Dwight_K_Shrute on November 23, 2017, 01:57:30 pm
Would love it if knowing it's their last game the coaches went total WTH. Bring out every gadget/trick play they have. Play CK and AA together split Cole out wide. Make it crazy, fun, and entertaining as hell

Well, they certainly got the crazy started already last week.
"It's difficult to get a man to understand something when his salary depends on not understanding it."
-Upton Sinclair

"It is no measure of health to be well adjusted to a profoundly sick society."
― J. Krishnamurti

⚠️ Sensitive Content! ⚠️
https://t.me/covidbc

Dwight_K_Shrute

Quote from: alohawg on November 23, 2017, 02:22:58 pm
Well, they certainly got the crazy started already last week.

Yeah loved the kick the ball to the end zone play.
Little known fact, but prior to settling on Guantanamo, the Pentagon wanted to house terror suspects at War Memorial Stadium.  It was deemed to be cruel and unusual punishment and in violation of the Geneva Convention.

DeltaBoy

Play 14 on Defense Blitz 7 7 in coverage!
If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.