Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

AD Advisory Committee

Started by Hogfan46, November 22, 2017, 02:08:10 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

DoctorSusscrofa

Yeah, I'm sure you know it all and you just go vague because you just modestly don't want to be "right."
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

dbh

Quote from: Locutus_of_Boar on November 22, 2017, 07:53:49 pm
As I recall Bill Montgomery was on the search committee 20 years ago and was one of the folks advocating against the pro-Nutt campaign but got outvoted.

Can't imagine Montgomery being involved now unless whatever is happening will be more to his liking this time.

And he was a big Tommy Tuberville supporter at that time.  Hmmmmmm...

WilsonHog

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on November 22, 2017, 10:37:44 pm
Yeah, I'm sure you know it all and you just go vague because you just modestly don't want to be "right."

No, I don't know "it all."

But what I do know, I'm happy with.

DoctorSusscrofa

Somebody will be right as long as they keep either claiming a variety of final choices or keep claiming double secret knowledge too good to tell. I don't believe even those that will be right really know. A correct guess is just as good as correct information.
I expect to win the games we ought to win and be competitive in as many other games as possible. - M Barton

razorbackfaninar

Quote from: hog_fan on November 22, 2017, 04:24:25 pm
You can't wait until January to hire a coach. Advisory not search committee.
I agree it is a mistake to be hiring a coach in January but unless we hire a new coach without an AD, which is unlikely, then I doubt we will have a coach as quickly as anyone would like. This is why I was trying to explain that the timing of Longs firing was terrible, and put us in a really bad position.

DoctorSusscrofa

Steinmetz may actually be intentionally fanning the rumors. If he's already working out details with someone in particular he may like all the rumors.  If no negotiations are underway, he COULD short circuit the rumors. If he doesn't we can presume he's encouraging them.

TebowHater

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 22, 2017, 10:35:43 pm
I don't know how many times I have to say it, it is NOT scanlon.  I don't know who it will be, but I know it's not scanlon.

Why not?

Cylinder

Quote from: sowmonella on November 22, 2017, 05:06:30 pm
I'm not a complainer. I try to see the good in all that is the U Of A.  What in the hell do those people know about who to pick as an AD???  ???  This is way beyond stupid.

What would be the backgrounds you would specify?

The committee is made up of people prominent in the relevant disciplines or organizations:

Non-revenue sport
Board of Trustees
Finance
Construction
Football
Academics

Scattered among them are people that represent kind of torchbearers for Razorback athletic traditions throughout the different eras - all these people reporting to the person who was hired to make these decisions. I guess it would have been nice to see basketball or baseball represented, but I'd suggest those aren't really going to be the loci of change.

HogFanOSU

They should have put Nolan on that committee, probably has more experience and common sense than any of them.  At least he would not rubber stamp someone nor be bashful in telling them what he thinks.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: ricepig on November 22, 2017, 03:24:35 pm
He's on the beverage committee.

And he didn't vote for Pepsi........................
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Broadway Rob

Broadway Rob: December 05, 2017, 07:57:52 pm

122 ranked defense after 3 years.  We have no [CENSORED] shot whatsoever, and to say we do is delusional man.  If he was anything more than a great OC, his defense would have improved.  He's no head coach.

harrisburghog

If Steinmetz makes the final decision we'll wind up with another Jeff Long.

Shrevepork

Quote from: BR on November 22, 2017, 02:10:58 pm
Arkansas has named its search committee for a new athletic director:
Lance Harter, Women's Track & Field Coach
Ben Hyneman, Chairman of the UA Board of Trustees
Gerald Jordan, UA Faculty Athletics Representative
Stacy Lewis, LPGA Golfer & UA Alum
Peter MacKeith, Dean of Fay Jones School of Architecture
Rick Massey, Partner at Westrock Capital Partners
Bill Montgomery, Former Arkansas Football Player

OK, Steinmetz, where in the heck is Hogville?

GuvHog

Quote from: HogFanOSU on November 23, 2017, 12:55:38 am
They should have put Nolan on that committee, probably has more experience and common sense than any of them.  At least he would not rubber stamp someone nor be bashful in telling them what he thinks.

Nolan is not going to get on any U of A Committee after filing a lawsuit against them.
Bleeding Razorback Red Since Birth!!!

Mike_e

I've got no contacts, no insider info.  I'm just a pleb standing outside waiting for the smoke to turn white.

And I wish somebody would hurry up cause it's cold out here.   ;)
The best "one thing" for a happy life?
Just be the best person that you can manage.  Right Now!

onebadrubi

Nashville Fan

Can't take a dump in a political college environment without forming a committee. SOP when you want buy in.
Pittman or Bust!

lookawayquick

Having spoken to one of the advisory committee members, I can say that Ricepig has conveyed accurate info.  Who is that candidate with successful AD experience, Hog bonafides and people skills? When a candidate with those three qualities is identified, he/she will be the candidate of choice.

TebowHater

Quote from: lookawayquick on November 23, 2017, 08:09:35 am
Having spoken to one of the advisory committee members, I can say that Ricepig has conveyed accurate info.  Who is that candidate with successful AD experience, Hog bonafides and people skills? When a candidate with those three qualities is identified, he/she will be the candidate of choice.

Does that person exist (namely the successful AD experience in conjunction w hog bonafide)? Or are they just going to wait many years until it does?

I guess I am just wondering what you mean when that person is identified - it's not like there is someone out there we aren't thinking of.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: harrisburghog on November 23, 2017, 05:49:05 am
If Steinmetz makes the final decision we'll wind up with another Jeff Long.

Why.? He didn't hire Long.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

lookawayquick

Based on the conversation, it is my sense that "the" AD candidate has not been identified.  The hunt is on.  Which of those three qualities will carry most weight with the committee, Steinmetz, Bobbit and BOT is yet to be determined.  Ricepig was on it when he said Steinmetz wants previous AD experience.  Will be an interesting process to watch.

Inhogswetrust

November 23, 2017, 10:24:17 am #71 Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 10:56:12 am by Inhogswetrust
Quote from: lookawayquick on November 23, 2017, 08:09:35 am

Sounds a little like a removal of an interim tag. She hasn't ran a whole big department but has run part of one. IF being a successful AD is that important I can't think of a current one off the top of my head that runs any decent sized athletic department and has the other two criteria. Terry Don of course did so but I'm not sure he would want it now considering things that have been mentioned on here about his age and possible health issue. Are there any others that have all three criteria?

TebowHater

Quote from: lookawayquick on November 23, 2017, 10:23:07 am
Based on the conversation, it is my sense that "the" AD candidate has not been identified.  The hunt is on.  Which of those three qualities will carry most weight with the committee, Steinmetz, Bobbit and BOT is yet to be determined.  Ricepig was on it when he said Steinmetz wants previous AD experience.  Will be an interesting process to watch.

Interesting. Sounds like everyone we have been hearing since the news broke would not be in play: Scanlon, Varady, TT, etc. Thought we had learned with this past adventure that being a hog might matter more than previous AD experience. Oh well.

ricepig

Quote from: TebowHater on November 23, 2017, 10:31:17 am
Interesting. Sounds like everyone we have been hearing since the news broke would not be in play: Scanlon, Varady, TT, etc. Thought we had learned with this past adventure that being a hog might matter more than previous AD experience. Oh well.

That doesn't mean Steinmetz will get his way, just that he would prefer someone with experience running a department. I figure he thinks he has enough to worry about without having a "rookie" as Vice Chancellor. I'm sure there are candidates without the experience capable of doing, they just have to identify them.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: TebowHater on November 23, 2017, 10:31:17 am

I have no problem with any of the top names mentioned most and would also include the current interim in that. But I don't get a vote.