Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Amount of time a state job is required to be listed for

Started by osumed14, November 20, 2017, 06:21:06 am

Previous topic - Next topic

osumed14

My best friend is an AD at another university here in Arkansas and I thought I remembered on one of his previous fire/hire situations that there was an official length of time any state job had to be listed for before you could make an official hire, even if you have your guy?  Anyone know for sure on this?  I have a text to him about it but he is out of town right now and just thought about it last night.

osumed14

And I have not even asked him about who he is hearing on the AD side of things but he definitely knew about Long several days before it happened so it was at least well known in the AD circles for almost a week I bielieve it was before it happened.

dfwalumdad

certain jobs are exempt from posting requirements, like AD, head coaches, president of the university, etc where posting those jobs given the small pool of potential applicants and specialized skill sets required would making posting those jobs impractical.

oldfart

pretty sure coach position exempt from things like advertising the position interviews time etc

HoggyCat

All they'd have to do is ask Long for a waiver of the required time period so they can rush the hire......
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

007 License To Squeal

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 20, 2017, 07:40:20 am
All they'd have to do is ask Long for a waiver of the required time period so they can rush the hire......

Ask who?
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

Michael D Huff AIA

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say that the next AD we have didn't play volleyball.

NuttinItUp

Quote from: HoggyCat on November 20, 2017, 07:40:20 am

Why would they ask someone that is no longer employed by the university?

NaturalStateReb

University jobs are different from state government jobs, so you've got different rules there.  It probably doesn't have to be advertised.
"It's a trap!"--Houston Nutt and Admiral Ackbar, although Ackbar never called that play or ate that frito pie.

HoggyCat

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 20, 2017, 08:56:33 am

Y'all totally missed the point....
I'm only responsible for what I say, not how you perceive it.

DoctorSusscrofa

Quote from: NuttinItUp on November 20, 2017, 08:56:33 am

This thread is required to have at least 1 post like the one you quoted according to the message board rules.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

31to6

Quote from: NaturalStateReb on November 20, 2017, 09:11:11 am
University jobs are different from state government jobs, so you've got different rules there.  It probably doesn't have to be advertised.
UA policy states that all positions up to the Dean/Vice President/Director level must be advertised for a period of time (10 days? can't recall.. was reading it the other day).

However this requirement can be waived in exigent circumstances by the Chancellor or by the UA system president.

Boardon Hamsay

Quote from: 31to6 on November 20, 2017, 09:18:13 am
UA policy states that all positions up to the Dean/Vice President/Director level must be advertised for a period of time (10 days? can't recall.. was reading it the other day).

However this requirement can be waived in exigent circumstances by the Chancellor or by the UA system president.

This is correct. Two weeks (10 working days) is the norm unless the waiver process is utilized.
Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on October 16, 2017, 07:51:05 pmDo nursing homes buy a lot of lobsters for their residents or are you back behind the trash dumpster selling hot lobsters ito Uncle Dewey for his social security money?
Quote from: Rudy Baylor on March 26, 2019, 08:33:58 pmBill Self seriously just jogged by my front yard. I almost accidentally sprayed him with Weed&Feed
Quote from: thebignasty on April 03, 2019, 12:07:41 pmExploitation of quantum mechanics pretty much has to be addressed in the NCAA handbook.
Quote from: theFlyingHog on June 09, 2021, 10:50:01 amYou certainly keep the waters well chummed.
Quote from: PonderinHog on October 22, 2021, 10:03:28 amI'm no longer drinking yet.

31to6

Quote from: Darrell Royal's Floating Flaming Fulminating Spectral Head on November 20, 2017, 09:20:17 am
This is correct. Two weeks (10 working days) is the norm unless the waiver process is utilized.
And performing the due diligence by way of a search committee is an appropriate deviation for a job like AD--particularly given that requiring public applications for such a position would restrict the pool of qualified candidates as most of the best candidates will only consent to a confidential process. The search committee has to cross all the 't's so that their documentation of the process can be produced to show that it was fair and complies with various requirements (diversity, etc).