Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why do some fans disagree with possibly hiring Gus Malzahn?

Started by AFWarrior83, November 15, 2017, 12:07:40 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Would you take Gus as head coach if possible?

Yes
No

AFWarrior83

I grew up in Van Buren and have lived outside of Arkansas (outside of the US actually) since 2003. So, I consider myself impartial towards hiring Gus. Looking at his coaching career from a distance, it seems like he'd be a great fit coaching in Fayetteville.

My question is why is the fan base so divided on him? I understand the drama that ensued on the hill when Nutt was forced to hire him as OC, but that wasn't Gus's fault. What's the deal? His teams are usually pretty solid, and they never get stomped by the competition like Bielemas teams have.

I just don't understand the hate. He's from the state, can recruit Alabama since he has established relationships down there, and will undoubtably recruit Texas hard.
Hogville member since 2005.

Sweet Feet

With all the sudden interest and rumors of Gus coming to Arkansas after the beatdown of #1 UGA, would you want Gus to come back home and coach the Razorbacks?

Hawginj

I would not but if it happens ill support him until I cannot!

NuttinItUp

Would I take a SECCG win and possible playoff spot?

......ummmm, yes please!

ronmahony

No I don't like the way he rode in on Mitch's shirttail, then when Nutt and his posse started in on him and especially Mitch he never said a word in defense of him, he should have had his back. Just ran off to Tulsa, he had to have had been a part of or have known about Scam Newton. No thanks.
"If you are able, save for them a place inside of you and save one backward glance when you are leaving for the places they can no longer go.
     Be not ashamed to say you loved them, though you may or may not have always. Take what they have taught you with their dying and keep it with your own.

And in that time when men decide and feel safe to call the war insane, take one moment to embrace those gentle heroes you left behind.

BearsBisonsBoars

NuttinItUp

007 License To Squeal

Would I take an SEC winner?  Absolutely!!
******Proud Member of Hogville.net since May 22, 2003, 08:17:38 PM*******

PorkSoda

depends, can we force kristi to stay in bama?
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

HogPharmer

Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

NuttinItUp

casken

"The human capacity to know the good and the right is distorted by the human will to fulfill desire."-Dallas Willard

Maddhog

If we could just get one more poll . . .
"He hits from both sides of the plate.  He's amphibious."

BartIV

HogMantheIntruder

If Gus gets the job, I'll support him, but I'm not sure why fans think he would do as well or better than he's done at Auburn with the drop off in talent he would have at Arkansas. I'd rather get a coach who has done more with less- Matt Campbell and Mike Norvell come to mind.
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

CalHog

Yes, should have been here all along!

ipigsooie

We finally have a gus poll! Oh where have you been? At least this one topped 40 percent. I guess one way is to put him up against nobody or what we have now.

moses_007

Yes, I'd take him right now.  He might give this team a great pep talk, and they'd win the next two games.

3Scoreand10

Seeing that none of us have a vote, what difference does it make what we want.
But if I had a vote, I would vote no.

Hawginj

Quote from: ipigsooie on November 15, 2017, 07:12:44 pm
We finally have a gus poll! Oh where have you been? At least this one topped 40 percent. I guess one way is to put him up against nobody or what we have now.
they gotta find a way to beat Mike somehow🤣🤣

Hawginj

Quote from: 3Scoreand10 on November 15, 2017, 07:14:47 pm
Seeing that none of us have a vote, what difference does it make what we want.
But if I had a vote, I would vote no.
this is true the running  joke is on another thread we are called a vocal minority but every poll all of them say otherwise

swineology

Quote from: Sweet Feet on November 15, 2017, 06:17:05 pm
With all the sudden interest and rumors of Gus coming to Arkansas after the beatdown of #1 UGA, would you want Gus to come back home and coach the Razorbacks?

No

I would no longer donate to football, but increase baseball and basketball donations.

HogPharmer

Quote from: Poppa Tart on November 15, 2017, 06:56:57 pm
If Gus gets the job, I'll support him, but I'm not sure why fans think he would do as well or better than he's done at Auburn with the drop off in talent he would have at Arkansas. I'd rather get a coach who has done more with less- Matt Campbell and Mike Norvell come to mind.

You and your logic need to leave! Before today, this place was a solid 85% anti-Gus. Now all of a sudden, everyone is on the Gus Bus. Why?
Quote from: WorfHog on April 05, 2019, 11:26:00 pmRemember when Auburn dog piled AND THEY LOST!
Quote from: Pig in the Pokey on June 07, 2022, 01:57:05 pmRuscin needs a big one- Michael Carter has been our best player- or second best at worst- lately.
Quote from: PorkSoda on August 21, 2019, 02:19:03 pmwe can't be terrible forever.
Quote from: The OTR on December 01, 2018, 09:43:29 amGonna start reward season with an important one.
Hogpharmer.  There will be no vote.  He rid us of hoginmemphis, otherwise known as gomerbullinmemphis, and no one else can match that accomplishment in our lifetime.

PorkSoda

Quote from: HogPharmer on November 15, 2017, 07:27:20 pm
You and your logic need to leave! Before today, this place was a solid 85% anti-Gus. Now all of a sudden, everyone is on the Gus Bus. Why?
easy, because fans want to win.

while gus is one the opposite sideline he is the enemy, but if he was to come back home, I don't think anyone in there right mind would oppose that.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

Bubba's Bruisers

I would support Gus if he was hired...until he didn't deserve support.  Would prefer to go another direction, though.
I will put enmity between you and the woman, and between your offspring and her offspring; he shall bruise your head, and you shall bruise his heal.

Genesis 3:15

Hawg Life

Pay boards & Paul Finebaum.

HogPharmer

Quote from: PorkSoda on November 15, 2017, 07:29:44 pm
easy, because fans want to win.

while gus is one the opposite sideline he is the enemy, but if he was to come back home, I don't think anyone in there right mind would oppose that.

Quote from: Bubba's Bruisers on November 15, 2017, 07:29:59 pm
I would support Gus if he was hired...until he didn't deserve support.  Would prefer to go another direction, though.

Hawginj

we aren't on the bus but we also have no say so in the hire so either gonna have to grin and bear it or revolt.

HogMantheIntruder

I think people are at the point of "anything is better than what we've got", which is understandable. We definitely need a change, but I just don't think Gus is the answer. I wonder if maybe those who want him believe he still has a lot of upside. It's possible, and that's certainly what I'll be telling myself if he gets hired. ;)
"When life hands you lemons, just shut up and eat the damn lemons."
   -Harry Solomon

HogPharmer

Quote from: Poppa Tart on November 15, 2017, 07:35:43 pm
I think people are at the point of "anything is better than what we've got", which is understandable. We definitely need a change, but I just don't think Gus is the answer. I wonder if maybe those who want him believe he still has a lot of upside. It's possible, and that's certainly what I'll be telling myself if he gets hired. ;)

Couldn't agree more. If he ended up here, I'd support him. But definitely not my first choice.

RazorbacksFTW

Yeah but rather not have him to be honest.
It would cost too much to bring him here and we don't know if he would be successful here or not so it would a big gamble with a lot of money at stake.

Would rather they choose someone that would only cost a couple million a year on a 3 year contract.
Then reevaluate after year 3.