Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Garland return to Team?

Started by runner645, October 30, 2017, 09:51:54 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

runner645

Any news on Garland?  Are we going to get him cleared to play?  He should be a very important player for us in the future if he ever gets to play.   

The_Iceman

swineology

Quote from: runner645 on October 30, 2017, 09:51:54 pm
Any news on Garland?  Are we going to get him cleared to play?  He should be a very important player for us in the future if he ever gets to play.

Dude will never play

ADavisTheGOAT

I remember during the summer the heart problem was known but was something they thought Khalil could get by with. Now it seems after looking into it further, it's much more serious.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

jchill

Joe Adams had a stroke and was still able to resume his football career. There's still hope.

azhog10

hogwood

What I don't understand is how this was not caught before if it's so serious? AAU, high school, heck even middle school teams have to undergo physical examination. I knew a few kids even back in middle school who weren't able to join a sports team or were very limited on a team due to a small heart murmur (they are common). Is the examination at U of A really that much more superior? Are regular physicals and examinations by doctors and team medics so inferior they couldn't catch a serious heart condition? Seems like that would be the rare case, which maybe it is. I sure hope not, and that it will be resolved. Either way, it seems at this point that it is some overkill bureaucratic procedure... I mean watch the kids' videos - it doesn't seem to effect him in the least whatever it is!

HogFaninMemphis

Quote from: hogwood on October 31, 2017, 07:47:46 am
What I don't understand is how this was not caught before if it's so serious? AAU, high school, heck even middle school teams have to undergo physical examination. I knew a few kids even back in middle school who weren't able to join a sports team or were very limited on a team due to a small heart murmur (they are common). Is the examination at U of A really that much more superior? Are regular physicals and examinations by doctors and team medics so inferior they couldn't catch a serious heart condition? Seems like that would be the rare case, which maybe it is. I sure hope not, and that it will be resolved. Either way, it seems at this point that it is some overkill bureaucratic procedure... I mean watch the kids' videos - it doesn't seem to effect him in the least whatever it is!
He's probably getting a very full medical exam, much more in-depth than he's ever gotten. That's a good question, though.
Go Hogs, Go Cardinals, and Go Grizzlies!

azhog10

I had a heart murmor, had a valve issue that i ended up having open heart surgery for when I was 26. IT wasn't caught till I was a senior in high school. Sometimes that type just takes the right person listening or the right person paying close enough attention to see or hear that type of thing. My situation was probably different but I went many years before it was finally caught. It may seem crazy but it can absolutely happen and happens more than you might think.

Letsroll1200

From my experience a simple sports physical would not detect any issues with your heart. I'm just glad that they discovered this issue because anything could have happened on the court. I hate it for Garland and his family but God is still in control. I'm pretty sure that the University will honor his scholarship if he is unable to play basketball.

razorback1829

Quote from: runner645 on October 30, 2017, 09:51:54 pm

Next test isn't until early December to see if he can go. Have to give the treatment time to take place. Keep your fingers crossed 🤞🏾

Razorod

Quote from: razorback1829 on October 31, 2017, 09:58:34 am
Next test isn't until early December to see if he can go. Have to give the treatment time to take place. Keep your fingers crossed 🤞🏾
Thanks for this piece of information. Helps a lot in understanding the situation.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

HognitiveDissonance

Quote from: Razorod on October 31, 2017, 10:24:33 am
Thanks for this piece of information. Helps a lot in understanding the situation.
Yes, it does. Good information.
This is the kind of good stuff you hope to find on these forums.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: Razorod on October 31, 2017, 10:24:33 am

Yes it does. From some of the postings, you might have thought he was on the transplant list. Now, I'm a lot more optimistic that we see him on the floor in a game this season. At least there is still a chance.
Hogs up! Covid down!

AirWarren

Sigh.....

Sometimes it takes more than just auscultation of the heart to detect serious heart conditions. Especially congenital ones. And routine sports physicals don't include echocardiograms and right/left heart Caths to measure pressures in the valves.

Last thing you want is this kid falling out on court and passing away.

FineAsSwine

Quote from: AP85 on November 01, 2017, 05:42:55 am

Last thing you want is this kid falling out on court and passing away.

Which is why I had no problem with Rawleigh Williams stepping away from football even though I loved the way he ran the ball and thought he had an NFL future. The risk just wasn't worth it, no matter how it impacted the team (or his hopes).

Hate to see a kid not be able to live their dream but at least he would live to pursue different dream. If it turns out he can't play, I would like to see him still be involved with the team in some way.
Hogs up! Covid down!

parallaxpig

Any  word yet if Hall is available Friday?
noun: parallax<br />the effect whereby the position or direction of an object appears to differ when viewed from different positions,

NWAHog479

The team is being super silent with news on Garland, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.

The_Iceman

HoopS

Quote from: NWAHog479 on November 02, 2017, 11:03:01 am
The team is being super silent with news on Garland, not sure if that is a good thing or a bad thing.
privacy. Could be either. Just hoping for the best. My oldest was diagnosed similarly and has grown out of it.

Potosihog

Letsroll1200

I'm kind of hopeful about Garland since watching Lamarcus Aldridge of the Spurs. I know he was out last season due to a heart condition.

onebadrubi

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 02, 2017, 08:14:27 pm
I'm kind of hopeful about Garland since watching Lamarcus Aldridge of the Spurs. I know he was out last season due to a heart condition.

He played last year?

Letsroll1200

Quote from: onebadrubi on November 02, 2017, 09:19:39 pm
He played last year?

I thought he was out for awhile with a heart condition

onebadrubi

Quote from: Letsroll1200 on November 02, 2017, 09:28:56 pm
I thought he was out for awhile with a heart condition

Hmm just looked it up,  looks like he was cleared to play after 4 days? 

outlawhogeywells

If he does not get to come back and play.  Does Ark try to find a player in the spring (JC or Transfer) or save for the 2019 class.

skinnypig

Quote from: outlawhogeywells on November 09, 2017, 04:03:51 pm
If he does not get to come back and play.  Does Ark try to find a player in the spring (JC or Transfer) or save for the 2019 class.
my guess is it would depend on if someone left. If no one leaves they probably  save it 2019