Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Mike Anderson is recruiting out of his mind right now Hogs got R.Chaney

Started by forrest city joe, October 28, 2017, 05:29:55 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

The_Iceman

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 31, 2017, 01:05:41 pm
They recruit those 6'7+ 240Lb tough inter city kids who have a simple job of getting those tough  rebounds, get put backs and play physical defense.  We can do that too if Mike can make those 210 lb guys to play like they are 240+.

While those kids are big, they can't do the things Ethan Henderson can do.

mizzouman

I have a question and I'm not trolling because everyone knows how much I like Mike Anderson.  Really, I do.

I don't put much stock in recruiting rankings other than it gets fans excited about the upcoming season.

But my question is why does everyone think this class is great?  Serious question.  The highest ranked player is 124 in the nation, 124th??

The others are at 127, 153, 156, 164 and 314. 

Now, this could be a great, great class.  But how does anyone know because the numbers don't reflect it.

Give me some insight on these players so I have a better understanding.

Thanks....

FineAsSwine

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 31, 2017, 01:00:10 pm
Yes, I love it.  He is feeding the monster.    But I want to know.  How did it happen and why 5 years?

The basketball practice facility. Now, we are closer to being on equal footing minus the cheating and paying players.
Hogs up! Covid down!

navyhog24

Quote from: mizzouman on October 31, 2017, 01:33:30 pm
I have a question and I'm not trolling because everyone knows how much I like Mike Anderson.  Really, I do.

I don't put much stock in recruiting rankings other than it gets fans excited about the upcoming season.

But my question is why does everyone think this class is great?  Serious question.  The highest ranked player is 124 in the nation, 124th??

Now, this could be a great, great class.  But how does anyone know because the numbers don't reflect it.

Thanks....

The is the kind of class you can build a solid team with. Most of the guys are going to stay 3-4 years and truly develop. Yes it is great to have one and dones, but to make a deep run to the NCAAT, you need that senior leadership. In a few years down the line, this class will provide that. They aren't higher ranked, but they are good players and will stay together for a while. That will prove to be very valuable in 3-4 years.

mizzouman

Hmm, I actually didn't think about guys sticking around for 4 years.  If all 6 of these guys stick around for that long, then I would agree.  Would be a tremendous class.

mizzouman

Quote from: navyhog24 on October 31, 2017, 02:03:18 pm
The is the kind of class you can build a solid team with. Most of the guys are going to stay 3-4 years and truly develop. Yes it is great to have one and dones, but to make a deep run to the NCAAT, you need that senior leadership. In a few years down the line, this class will provide that. They aren't higher ranked, but they are good players and will stay together for a while. That will prove to be very valuable in 3-4 years.

Hmm, I actually didn't think about guys sticking around for 4 years.  If all 6 of these guys stick around for that long, then I would agree.  Would be a tremendous class

Letsroll1200

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 31, 2017, 01:27:26 pm
While those kids are big, they can't do the things Ethan Henderson can do.

Ethan Henderson can jump out the gym. I guess a lot of posters have not seen this kid play. If you have a front line of Gafford, Bailey, Chaney and Henderson they can hold their own against anybody. These kids are long and athletic.

The_Iceman

Thanks....

The highest ranking for each of our commits:

Ethan Henderson - 4star #88
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211972/ethan-henderson

Reggie Chaney - 4star #89
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool

Keyshawn Embrey - 4star #100
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/keyshawn-embery-16595

Isaiah Joe - 4star #93
https://247sports.com/Season/2018-Basketball/RecruitRankings?InstitutionGroup=HighSchool
NOTE: some sites still list Joe as only 6'1". Hes probably closer to 6'4".

Jordan Phillips - 3star #132
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jordan-phillips-1214

Desi Sills - consensus 3 star

So we have no elite talent in this class, but we have 5 Top 150 players (by at least one service) and a good instate development player in Desi Sills. Most, if not all, of these guys are 4 year college players (soonest any would leave in year 3).

mizzouman

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 31, 2017, 02:50:29 pm
The highest ranking for each of our commits:

Ethan Henderson - 4star #88
http://www.espn.com/college-sports/basketball/recruiting/player/_/id/211972/ethan-henderson

Reggie Chaney - 4star #89

Keyshawn Embrey - 4star #100
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/keyshawn-embery-16595

Isaiah Joe - 4star #93
NOTE: some sites still list Joe as only 6'1". Hes probably closer to 6'4".

Jordan Phillips - 3star #132
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospects/2018/jordan-phillips-1214

Desi Sills - consensus 3 star

So we have no elite talent in this class, but we have 5 Top 150 players (by at least one service) and a good instate development player in Desi Sills. Most, if not all, of these guys are 4 year college players (soonest any would leave in year 3).

I saw that before Ice, good job. 

I'm starting to think that even though there's no high profile kids (at least by rankings) that if they stay together in year 2 or 3, they could be dangerous.

hogwood

Thanks....

It's more to the point that  every year we are recruiting like this now, and this class really cements the improved recruiting. We now have a very solid core we can foresee being around for the next 2-3-4 years. Our staff are also great developers when they get kids that fit their system, and even though these kids aren't ranked extremely high, they project to have a greater impact than their ranking based on development potential and the fact that they project to be 3-4 year players.

The_Iceman

Quote from: mizzouman on October 31, 2017, 03:49:05 pm
I saw that before Ice, good job. 

I'm starting to think that even though there's no high profile kids (at least by rankings) that if they stay together in year 2 or 3, they could be dangerous.

I know it is cherry picking, but I don't believe all of our recruits have been evaluated by all of the services recently. Some sites still list Joe at 6'1". You are right, this is one of those foundation classes more than an immediate impact class. In 2 years if they stay together, they could be very good.

ShadowHawg

Thanks....

For me it's because all these kids are plan A guys and MA does a pretty good job of getting guys that excel in his system when they are plan A recruits.

rzrbackramsfan

farmhawg

Quote from: GuvHog on October 30, 2017, 04:14:34 pm
Now if Mike would recruit a couple of 6'10" or 6'11" big men who prefer to play with their backs to the basket and can dominate the lane, this would be a very good class.
You need to let 1975 go.....
From theflyinghog

Jeff Long is sitting around drinking some fruity girl drink and reading this and realizing he was the wrong man for the job. We're crazy. We love us some damn hog football. There may be a bunch of suits sitting behind glass on gameday but dammit you better not cross us airplane-tracking, fence-jumping, hangar-breakin-entering night-vision purchasin sumbitches! We're Miracle on Markham and 4th and 25, 7 overtime-winning tear down the goalposts and drag em down Dickson because you ain't goin to the BCS, fat phil!! BRING ME A COACH WITH A PAIR AND SACRIFICE A VIRGIN CUZ ITS TIME TO FUSCING WIN!!!!

mhuff

Quote from: farmhawg on October 31, 2017, 07:24:30 pm
You need to let 1975 go.....

I saw yesterday where Ky had two players committed that were  six nine or ten and weighed 255. Both were in top 30

The_Iceman

Quote from: FineAsSwine on November 02, 2017, 08:50:32 am
Dang! Was that Dr. J?

255lb big men won't be able to keep up with that. He and Gafford together would just be sick!

rzrbackramsfan

HawgHeadCheese

I think people get too caught up on ranking numbers and not system fits. This class might not have 5 stars but they fit exactly what CMA needs. Embery will have a Barford style of play which comes in handy because Barford is as Sr. Isaiah Joe will instantly serve as a Macon type player. Desi Sills will be your Anton Beard type guard. Jordan Phillips is a 6'6" athletic guard with good handles and will add length at the guard and wing position. Ethan is a long athletic 4 with a ceiling to be a defensive anchor and tenacious rebounding it he brings the energy. Reggie Chaney who is my favorite from this class is what I think puts the class over the top. His style of play has been the missing ingredient to CMA scheme since we got here. A big bodied athletic 4 who can handle and score with his back to the basket. It may not look like it on paper but if you look at the scheme of things this is an amazing class.

Razorod

Quote from: HawgHeadCheese on November 02, 2017, 10:30:28 am
I think people get too caught up on ranking numbers and not system fits. This class might not have 5 stars but they fit exactly what CMA needs. Embery will have a Barford style of play which comes in handy because Barford is as Sr. Isaiah Joe will instantly serve as a Macon type player. Desi Sills will be your Anton Beard type guard. Jordan Phillips is a 6'6" athletic guard with good handles and will add length at the guard and wing position. Ethan is a long athletic 4 with a ceiling to be a defensive anchor and tenacious rebounding it he brings the energy. Reggie Chaney who is my favorite from this class is what I think puts the class over the top. His style of play has been the missing ingredient to CMA scheme since we got here. A big bodied athletic 4 who can handle and score with his back to the basket. It may not look like it on paper but if you look at the scheme of things this is an amazing class.
IMO, a very good assessment. Also, looks like Ethan is taller than last year--appears to be a legit 6-8 to 6-9.
Hoping the Hogs basketball fortunes change for the better this season.

SPAL

Quote from: The_Iceman on October 31, 2017, 10:41:50 am
Yeah Guv, because 1994 and 2017 are exactly the same in terms of the way basketball in played.

You don't have to have big men in TODAY'S basketball. So don't give me this 1994 crap.

Having a front line of Chaney (6'8" 230lb) and Henderson (6'9" 200) would be just fine. Henderson plays like he is much bigger because of his length and athleticism.

Gafford is a perfect modern big man, but those guys aren't easy to find.

Hey, bro.....sell me on Henderson. I've watched him some and I don't see what others are. I'm no pro at it , and I respect your opinion over most.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 03, 2017, 03:54:43 pm
Hey, bro.....sell me on Henderson. I've watched him some and I don't see what others are. I'm no pro at it , and I respect your opinion over most.

He's 6'9" and jump through the roof.  That's a rare skillset that just screams potential!  Sold? 

SPAL

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on November 03, 2017, 04:21:41 pm
He's 6'9" and jump through the roof.  That's a rare skillset that just screams potential!  Sold? 

Well, not entirely. I know of his athleticism. I guess his potential is what we really are excited about then? Sounds kinda like Derek hood. Is that comparable?

The_Iceman

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 03, 2017, 04:26:53 pm
Well, not entirely. I know of his athleticism. I guess his potential is what we really are excited about then? Sounds kinda like Derek hood. Is that comparable?

More comparable to Nicky Davis than Hood.

https://youtu.be/DgfkwVaqnZc

More recent player id say is Jordan Mickey from LSU, and Ethan may be even more athletic and long.
https://twitter.com/HSBasketballBR/status/888276916406329344

https://youtu.be/X22VrvGfWo4

elksnort

Quote from: rzrbackramsfan on October 29, 2017, 01:45:21 pm
I'm excited too see where this class ends up in the final rankings.  I think we'll have a few guys move up.
I am excited to see what they do on the court.

rzrbackramsfan

Quote from: sir-pigs-a-lot on November 03, 2017, 04:26:53 pm

Yea he should be able to come in, get some rebounds, put back dunks and blocks. 

hobhog