Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Had great time at game- amateur analysis

Started by bythelake, October 27, 2017, 10:13:13 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

bythelake

Had great time. Sat where we wanted, right behind bench.  Also a negative as I hoped for a better crowd.

1.  Barford and Macon started where they left off last year,  A+.
2.  Jones is a player, great defense, good height,  good solid shot, rebounds.  B.
3.  Thompson,  he will contribute but seems timid at times.  Rebounded and shot blocked.  B-
4.  Bailey has all the tools and should improve.  Works hard and gets open looks. But has to work on his shot, rotation is ugly.  C.
5.  Gafford is as advertised, controlled the boards.  Was nervous and unpredictable when shooting.  Time and experience will improve his offensive presence. B+.
6.  We missed thompson and cook.
7.  We are super thin at the 1 and 2 guard.  Only barford and Macon are viable options.  Yea, I know some consider that a third played tonight, but, but.  I said viable.  Who do we have that can help out?  Enough said.

OCU was comparatively short, so we controlled the board.  Anderson ran the timeout huddles, was coaching his ass off.  Second half he reeled the team in and required them to run a half court offense.  First half was freelance fast break offense with Macon and barford showing off the threes and fast break ability.  Second half was a practice in half court offense.

Enjoyed.

ADavisTheGOAT

We really need Garland and Cook to come back for depth purposes.
Razorbacks | Redskins | Pelicans | LA Tech

WhenPigsFly

I thought the crowd was pretty good for a FRI night exhibition.

azhog10

Garland would be huge to get back. Instant production.

bythelake

What position does garland really play?  Can he play the 1 or 2?

mhuff

A hog, you said we missed Thompson and Cook,. I thought Thompson played

azhog10

Quote from: bythelake on October 27, 2017, 10:23:53 pm
What position does garland really play?  Can he play the 1 or 2?
Closest thing we have to a PG outside Jalen Harris.

azhog10

Quote from: mhuff on October 27, 2017, 10:26:43 pm
A hog, you said we missed Thompson and Cook,. I thought Thompson played
He meant Thomas.

bythelake

rzrbackramsfan

nice analysis.

also, icymi, chaneys announcing tonight.

The_Bionic_Pig

I believe that Daniel Gafford & Anton Beard should switch stats on the amount of attempted shots.

The guards are still in pickup game mode. If you're explosive big man isn't attempting upwards of 6 to 8 free throws a game then the guards were probably just swinging the ball around the perimeter.

My opinion...
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

Youngsta71701

Quote from: bythelake on October 27, 2017, 10:13:13 pm
Had great time. Sat where we wanted, right behind bench.  Also a negative as I hoped for a better crowd.

2.  Jones is a player, great defense, good height,  good solid shot, rebounds.  B.
3.  Thompson,  he will contribute but seems timid at times.  Rebounded and shot blocked.  B-
4.  Bailey has all the tools and should improve.  Works hard and gets open looks. But has to work on his shot, rotation is ugly.  C.
5.  Gafford is as advertised, controlled the boards.  Was nervous and unpredictable when shooting.  Time and experience will improve his offensive presence. B+.
7.  We are super thin at the 1 and 2 guard.  Only barford and Macon are viable options.  Yea, I know some consider that a third played tonight, but, but.  I said viable.  Who do we have that can help out?  Enough said.

OCU was comparatively short, so we controlled the board.  Anderson ran the timeout huddles, was coaching his ass off.  Second half he reeled the team in and required them to run a half court offense.  First half was freelance fast break offense with Macon and barford showing off the threes and fast break ability.  Second half was a practice in half court offense.

Enjoyed.
Hoped for a better crowd? In an exhibition game? On a Friday? With high school football still going on? Good luck.
"The more things change the more they stay the same"

lynbug

Quote from: bythelake on October 27, 2017, 10:13:13 pm

OCU was comparatively short, so we controlled the board.  Anderson ran the timeout huddles, was coaching his ass off. Second half he reeled the team in and required them to run a half court offense.  First half was freelance fast break offense with Macon and barford showing off the threes and fast break ability.  Second half was a practice in half court offense.

Enjoyed.
I wonder why he allowed AB to continue to shoot.  Short bench, maybe.  Last year when he would go on one of those "shooting without scoring" runs things could get scary.  I'm assuming (and hoping) that in a game that counts Anderson would not allow that to happen.

azhog10

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 28, 2017, 06:34:36 am
I believe that Daniel Gafford & Anton Beard should switch stats on the amount of attempted shots.

The guards are still in pickup game mode. If you're explosive big man isn't attempting upwards of 6 to 8 free throws a game then the guards were probably just swinging the ball around the perimeter.

My opinion...
Gafford did attempt 6 free throws........ ???

Pinto

Quote from: azhog10 on October 28, 2017, 09:05:03 am

Most came from his own effort on the offensive glass though...

The_Bionic_Pig

Quote from: azhog10 on October 28, 2017, 09:05:03 am

Wasn't aware....I was talking in terms of the guards actually making a coordinated effort to feed him the rock.
█ ▆ ▅ ▄ ▃ ▂ ▁ *Mute*

nwahogfan1

Need more scorers.  Who will help them get to 70 points in games when teams make them play a lot of half court offense?

kingoftherapids

Hogs49ers

Quote from: kingoftherapids on October 30, 2017, 02:08:36 am
You into some wild stuff

Thank you so much, well played sir! You just made my day and I just laughed uncontrollably for about 30 seconds hahaha!  ;D
SCREW Vandy!

Pinto

mhuff

October 30, 2017, 07:02:13 pm #20 Last Edit: October 30, 2017, 08:12:26 pm by mhuff
Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 28, 2017, 10:55:56 am
Wasn't aware....I was talking in terms of the guards actually making a coordinated effort to feed him the rock.

If the guards don't get the ball inside either high or low, it's going to be the SAME ole same ole.  You get the ball inside for some high-low or drive to the basket and dish it off low on a regular basis, we will do better than projected on offense. We step up our defense and we finish better than projected.

OK we've done a wonderful job of recruiting this year. Now let's have a wonderful year of coaching.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: nwahogfan1 on October 29, 2017, 05:28:09 pm
Need more scorers.  Who will help them get to 70 points in games when teams make them play a lot of half court offense?

It's going to take all 10... Barford, Macon and who's hot... they'll all get a chance.. CJ, AB and Thomas are our best bets...

HognitiveDissonance

Thought I saw where Gafford only played 15 minutes.

Any particular reason? Fouls? Just holding him out in a meaningless game?

mhuff

Quote from: The_Bionic_Pig on October 28, 2017, 06:34:36 am

My opinion...

Was impressed by number of assists by guards

FaulknerHogfan

Hmmmm... sounds like you had a real good time :)