Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Don't Hire Another Mediocre Coach

Started by RazorbackAlways, September 19, 2017, 04:02:34 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

niels_boar

CBB was coming off three straight Rose Bowls and had two other 10+ win seasons in the Big 10, far better than Saban's record at MSU.  He is arguably the best resume hire in Arkansas sports history.  Petrino's record was tainted by a disastrous season in the NFL, and his sparkling results at Louisville were against weak schedules.  If you judged the hires by the day after the press conference, CBB was a homerun, whereas Arkansas had to absorb tons of bad press hurled at Petrino for the way he left ATL.  The Atlanta reporters never forgot when covering the Hogs.  W's and L's are what matter, but it's a crapshoot no matter who you hire.
The jawbone of an ass is just as dangerous a weapon today as in Sampson's time.

ChitownHawg

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:15:59 pm
lol, I'm suspicious of any "big name" that wants to come to Arkansas.  They're either an overrated coach or have serious baggage.

Find a hungry up-and-comer.

That worked in basketball with Sutton and Nolan.
PonderinHog: "My mother gave me a framed cross-stitch picture that reads, "You can tell a Hog fan, but you can't tell him much.  Go Hogs!" It's a blessing and a curse."  :razorback:

Klamath River Hog: " Is your spell check made in India?"

Hollywood870

I don't think Jeff Long will consider Brohm just because of the Petrino connection and possibly vice-versa.

Arkansas Fan

I really wanna take a shot at Venables.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: Arkansas Fan on September 19, 2017, 06:25:24 pm
I really wanna take a shot at Venables.

First, short of going 4-8/5-7 this year, Bielema will most likely be here next season and he may be here through 2018 anyway.

Second, if schools like Nebraska, Auburn, UCLA, A&M, Tennessee come open, there would be no reason for Venables to choose Arkansas.
Go Hogs Go!

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 19, 2017, 06:31:27 pm
First, short of going 4-8/5-7 this year, Bielema will most likely be here next season and he may be here through 2018 anyway.

Second, if schools like Nebraska, Auburn, UCLA, A&M come open, there would be no reason for Venables to choose Arkansas.

I think Venables will go to his alma mater, K-State.

hawgfan4life

I'm not happy right now with BB's performance, but it is silly to think he was a mediocre hire.  He was more proven than any of those coaches on your list the first time any of them were hired at an SEC school.  Hind sight is pretty good when you're bragging on the accolades after the fact.

MuskogeeHogFan

Go Hogs Go!

Hogman2

If Bielema fails to turn
UA around, the Memphis coach Norvell might be a good choice!

Nashville Fan

Bret Beilema had the fifth highest winning percentages among active coaches at the time AR hired him. AR is not a top 5 job.
Pittman or Bust!

Wildhog

Quote from: Nashville Fan on September 19, 2017, 07:33:12 pm
Bret Beilema had the fifth highest winning percentages among active coaches at the time AR hired him. AR is not a top 5 job.

And Bret Bielema's not a top five coach.

I don't want to say these things.
Arkansas Razorbacks Football National Championships:
1909/1964/1965/1977

BallHog1

Nashville Fan

He was on paper. Hard to win in this conference. 90% of all coaches will get picked apart in AR's division.
Pittman or Bust!

Boarcephus

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:02:34 pm
Lets be real here. Bret Bielema wasnt a good choice. He was/is a mediocre coach who thought he could play ball with the big boys. Hence, his letter to Jeffrey. Let me remind you of the SEC landscape during the Bobby F'in Petrino era.

Alabama - Nick Saban
LSU - Les Miles
Florida - Urban Meyer
South Carolina - Steve Spurrier
Georgia - Mark Richt

Bobby F'in Petrino's name could be mentioned along side these greats. Even the media gave him credit, something that Arkansas has almost never been able to pull off. Though CBFP was an honorable mention, his name was mentioned! Arkansas was up there.

Lets do ourselves a favor. Get another big F'in name in here. Otherwise, its going to be 5 more years of mediocre bull@#%@. Lets play to win.

Let's also remember that UF replace UM with Muschamp, the coach in waiting at Texas, so they're not any better than any other team in picking coaches. 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

Silver Hog

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on September 19, 2017, 07:52:17 pm
I had no doubt we'd be embarrassed and his third dumpster fire organization.

And?

Petrino set us back a decade.
petrino was the only highlight IN the last decade.

Athog

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 19, 2017, 04:07:58 pm
Bret Bielema was about as big a name as we could have hired in 2013.  Wait a bit and see what happens. 

+1 Especially after the dumpster fire that Bobby f'  Petrino left!

tusksincolorado

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:36:10 pm
When Petrino was hired, you just knew. You just knew. I cant explain it, but you just knew.

I want to have that kind of confidence again.

I had a "man-crush" on BP when he commented on National TV during the Cotton Bowl about a abandoned Nuttless team...."No comment" with a disgust and disbelief tone in his voice.

I knew we had a tough nose coach then....
Screw it! I'm an old angry male, live with it!

hog of steele

OP, this is what we try to do. This is what everybody tries to do. If you can successfully say who the great coaches are and whicho Nes are mediocre with any accuracy, you have a great future in sports consulting. Please start keeping a list so we can check your accuracy.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 06:59:01 pm
Why not?

Because he has learned the value of being able to recruit top athletes and compete at the highest level. I have no doubt that he has great love and appreciation for his alma mater, but who aside from Bill Snyder has been able to produce a winner in such a difficult situation as K-State is in? Why would he even want that very elevated challenge? For what? A stepping stone? He has already shown himself to be capable of producing a quality defense against bigger opponents. K-State would be an unnecessary challenge to build his career. It's a risk that might prove to take him down a notch from what he is perceived as being able to produce right now. Taking the K-State job would be a case of having nothing to gain and everything to lose.
Go Hogs Go!

Boarcephus

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 19, 2017, 04:07:58 pm
Bret Bielema was about as big a name as we could have hired in 2013.  Wait a bit and see what happens. 

I'm curious, how long do you plan on waiting? 
I need to be more like my dog...if you can't fight it, screw it, or eat it, then piss on it.

LZH

He'll be gone in 3 months and we'll have to bite our fingernails off for 2-3 weeks.....again.

factchecker

Quote from: zeke_in_kc on September 19, 2017, 08:30:07 pm
Are you fxxxxxg serious? He's abandoned three organizations... Four if you count WKU.

Jesus...

WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

tusksincolorado

Quote from: Boarcephus on September 19, 2017, 08:05:13 pm
Let's also remember that UF replace UM with Muschamp, the coach in waiting at Texas, so they're not any better than any other team in picking coaches. 

Agree...and if we do decide to replace our current HC, I also agree we need to go with either Venables, Boehm (sp), or one of the other young hot coaches spoken about over the past 2 weeks. Not some retread wishful thinking coaches like Miles, Gundy, Malzahn, or even Gruden!

tusksincolorado

Are you fxxxxxg serious? He's abandoned three organizations... Four if you count WKU.

Jesus...

No...I am very serious...Herring and his class of clowns didn't even prepare the team for the Cotton Bowl. Like let's run a fake punt back to back in the same series. BP even stated it was the most ill prepared team he had ever seen. A total embarrassment.

People here on Hogville want to kick ethics, honor, and honesty to the curb for wins...well that means a coach like BP who will walk over anybody, anything, cheat, steal, and lie to just win.

GoHogzzGo

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 19, 2017, 06:17:05 pm
Oh yeah, let's add Ole Miss to that list as well.

You lost me at ole miss Muskogee, but the rest I 100% agree with. And that is a long list if even half become open.
Success isn't permanent and failure isn't fatal.

MuskogeeHogFan

Quote from: GoHogzzGo on September 19, 2017, 08:56:26 pm
You lost me at ole miss Muskogee, but the rest I 100% agree with. And that is a long list if even half become open.

There are a lot of coaches who might consider Ole Miss a better job than Arkansas just because of what they are willing to do to test the limits of what they can get away with in terms of recruiting. I'm not saying it is a good thing or what I approve of, just more to what gives HC's a better opportunity to succeed in the most competitive division in college football.
Go Hogs Go!

ChicoHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 19, 2017, 06:03:57 pm
Let's see...it's still pretty early to be very accurate, but what other jobs might be open after this season that could be considered more attractive than Arkansas?

In no particular order:

1. Nebraska
2. Texas A&M
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. UCLA
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn

How many good coaches bypass those schools (if offered) to come to Arkansas?
I agree with most of those but UCLA is not that great a job relative to many others.  Great recruiting pool obviously but they don't pay that much and their facilities are way behind most power 5 teams. 
Nebraska is not the job it was but it does have the advantage of being in the Big Ten West which is much easier than the Big Ten East.  Otherwise they are pretty equal to Arkansas and similar in that you have to recruit out of state and they are the only big time school in the state. 

ChicoHog

Quote from: MuskogeeHogFan on September 19, 2017, 09:07:47 pm
There are a lot of coaches who might consider Ole Miss a better job than Arkansas just because of what they are willing to do to test the limits of what they can get away with in terms of recruiting. I'm not saying it is a good thing or what I approve of, just more to what gives HC's a better opportunity to succeed in the most competitive division in college football.
Also better location for recruiting.

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: hog of steele on September 19, 2017, 08:14:22 pm
OP, this is what we try to do. This is what everybody tries to do. If you can successfully say who the great coaches are and whicho Nes are mediocre with any accuracy, you have a great future in sports consulting. Please start keeping a list so we can check your accuracy.

Well, one thing I can tell you for sure. My first post on HV was criticizing BB. I was jumped on about not knowing anything about football. Look now. We now need to fire him.

sowmonella

Let's see...it's still pretty early to be very accurate, but what other jobs might be open after this season that could be considered more attractive than Arkansas?

In no particular order:

1. Nebraska
2. Texas A&M
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. UCLA
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn

Could be a few more biggies. Florida folks ain't happy.
Not trying to brag or make anyone jealous but I can still fit into the same pair of socks I wore in high school.
Proud member since August 2003

RedRazorHog

Quote from: Hogman2 on September 19, 2017, 06:58:44 pm
If Bielema fails to turn
UA around, the Memphis coach Norvell might be a good choice!

Pretty much agree.  The only thing i would say is that I am not sure he made the best decision on that fake punt against University of California Liberals Anonymous.  He should have taken the field goal, but his defense bailed him out.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 09:54:32 pm
Pretty much agree.  The only thing i would say is that I am not sure he made the best decision on that fake punt against University of California Liberals Anonymous.  He should have taken the field goal, but his defense bailed him out.

Norvell is like 35 years old. No way I would take him.

PonderinHog

Quote from: Porkchop#1 on September 19, 2017, 04:08:20 pm
I admit I liked those 10 & 11 win seasons a lot better than what we've been getting.
Admitting that you have a problem is the first step on the road to recovery.  Or so I've heard.  This may be off topic.  I'm not sure anymore.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 10:07:03 pm
Norvell is like 35 years old. No way I would take him.

Wasn't Nick Sabah once 35 years old?  I think that Urban Meyer was like 38 when he won Coach of the Year at Florida.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 10:17:09 pm
Wasn't Nick Sabah once 35 years old?  I think that Urban Meyer was like 38 when he won Coach of the Year at Florida.

Its funny because Danny Ford won the title at 32 or 33 at Clemson. Another Arkansas guy!

hobhog

Quote from: Wildhog on September 19, 2017, 04:15:59 pm
lol, I'm suspicious of any "big name" that wants to come to Arkansas.  They're either an overrated coach or have serious baggage.

Find a hungry up-and-comer.

How many "big names" have flopped at new schools? A lot.

I'm for an up and comer, but he'll be on the he seat eventually. Or leave for home job.

hobhog

Jesus...

Five if you count a bad season this year at UL.....he's past his limit there.

a0ashle

If we start playing the "up and comer" sweepstakes it's gonna bury our program into irrelevance. It's a dangerous game for a team/school in our position.

EastexHawg

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 04:14:05 pm
I'm sorry but if you take the name out of it and said we hired a coach that just went to 3 straight BCS games and won almost 75% of his games at a P5 school. Not many people are going to turn that down.

Except that quite a few of us said at the time that trying to out-Saban the SEC with Arkansas talent was destined for failure.

Biggus Piggus

Quote from: EastexHawg on September 19, 2017, 11:39:10 pm
Except that quite a few of us said at the time that trying to out-Saban the SEC with Arkansas talent was destined for failure.

Saban doesn't even Saban anymore.
[CENSORED]!

hogginbama

Quote from: Pistol Pig Maravich on September 19, 2017, 04:13:40 pm
Ill through in 1 more item....a coach that runs a little more open offense. Ground and pound won't work for us.

In another thread about what the ole boy from the SEC network said, everyone is saying we need to return to our identity of running the ball. They are complaining that we are passing to much and losing our identity. So which is it, do we need to ooen it up or do we need to run it more?
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Foshodo

Quote from: PorkSoda on September 19, 2017, 04:39:06 pm
thats true.  when CBB was hired, I hoped it would work out.  but when CBP was hired I had no doubt that we were going to be a very good football team in a couple years.

even in the first year or two when it was rough with Petrino you could still see what he was doing. you could tell he had the ability and that his "style" worked, even when we lost. remember that game Mallett kept going back and forth with that Ginger from Georgia? that game was amazing even as a loss...

I cant say the same for BB. it's just boring and i see no edge that he has...

RazorbackAlways

Quote from: a0ashle on September 19, 2017, 11:22:42 pm
If we start playing the "up and comer" sweepstakes it's gonna bury our program into irrelevance. It's a dangerous game for a team/school in our position.

Right on.

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: RazorbackAlways on September 19, 2017, 04:02:34 pm
Lets be real here. Bret Bielema wasnt a good choice. He was/is a mediocre coach who thought he could play ball with the big boys. Hence, his letter to Jeffrey. Let me remind you of the SEC landscape during the Bobby F'in Petrino era.

Alabama - Nick Saban
LSU - Les Miles
Florida - Urban Meyer
South Carolina - Steve Spurrier
Georgia - Mark Richt

Bobby F'in Petrino's name could be mentioned along side these greats. Even the media gave him credit, something that Arkansas has almost never been able to pull off. Though CBFP was an honorable mention, his name was mentioned! Arkansas was up there.

Lets do ourselves a favor. Get another big F'in name in here. Otherwise, its going to be 5 more years of mediocre bull@#%@. Lets play to win.

BP is NOT worthy of being mentioned in the same breath as the one's you listed. Only one of them has not won a NC and the one that hasn't is a much better person to his family, players and others than BP. BP hasn't even sniffed a NC.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

JaketheSnake

Quote from: a0ashle on September 19, 2017, 11:22:42 pm
The next Derek Dooley Ian out there somewhere, and we need to find him.

HardCore

In no particular order:

1. Nebraska
2. Texas A&M
3. Notre Dame
4. LSU
5. UCLA
6. Tennessee
7. Auburn

So, don't wait to the end of the season....beat them to the punch
Beware the lollipop of mediocrity; lick it once and you'll suck forever....Brian Wilson (Beach Boys)

WilsonHog

Quote from: HardCore on September 20, 2017, 07:02:04 am
So, don't wait to the end of the season....beat them to the punch

Not going to happen, but suppose for purposes of argument that Bielema is let go during the season. No coach currently with a job will be available, so that leaves Les Miles and Chip Kelly. Miles is a Bielema 2.0 in Fayetteville, perhaps with slightly better recruits. Don't see it.

Chip Kelly. Can you imagine his reaction if his agent tried to convinced him to take the Arkansas job now while four or five better ones might be available in two months? I can. ""You're fired."

hogsanity

Any OP that starts with the premise that BB was a mediocre coach when hired is just flawed. We crow about BP going to ONE BCS game while here and winning NO Division titles much less a conf title, yet somehow a guy who had THREE BCS appearances and THREE conf titles was somehow mediocre? That makes no sense at all.

Now, the results here so far have been pretty bad, but no one can honestly say he was mediocre when he was hired. A mediocre hire would be like someone hiring Ron Zook after his Florida tenure, or some might argue Kevin Sumlin after his big noting burger at A&M.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

The_Iceman

Quote from: hogsanity on September 20, 2017, 08:34:25 am
Any OP that starts with the premise that BB was a mediocre coach when hired is just flawed. We crow about BP going to ONE BCS game while here and winning NO Division titles much less a conf title, yet somehow a guy who had THREE BCS appearances and THREE conf titles was somehow mediocre? That makes no sense at all.

Now, the results here so far have been pretty bad, but no one can honestly say he was mediocre when he was hired. A mediocre hire would be like someone hiring Ron Zook after his Florida tenure, or some might argue Kevin Sumlin after his big noting burger at A&M.

Jeff Long made a great hire. It hasn't panned out. Can't blame Long for that. He went out and got the best possible coach.