Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Could O'Grady go out wide, or be in the slot?

Started by pa_rob424, September 19, 2017, 03:43:23 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

pa_rob424

I know the talk is that O'Grady is catching on and getting better. He can't block quite as well as he runs routes yet, but he is starting to be "on" more than he is "off". With him being so athletic, is it possible to move him out wide or have him in the slot?  I know he doesn't have receiver speed, but we don't have any burners anyway...maybe a limited route tree for him, and use some concepts that he does play well in.  In case he never picks up the blocking aspect as well as what they want him to, he could be a big red zone target. He's no Gronk, but I could see him being used like that. Just think, with him split out inside the red zone and Cantrell/Patton/Kraus/Gragg being used in 22 or 21 personnel.  Not asking for a position change outright, just thinking about use of such a big bodied athlete in places where we struggle to score. Imagine smaller athletes trying to jump in front of a slant to him.  Not sure about his jumping ability, but fades may be a real option here if we continue to struggle running inside the 5.

This isn't me saying I know more than coaches or I want anyone fired. I'm asking your opinion of you think this would be effective.

GunnerHawg70

I'm sure he would be an easy target for AA on slant / curl / or short yardage fade routes but that's about it for the big guy playing in the slot position.