Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Freshmen

Started by RedRazorHog, September 19, 2017, 12:23:12 am

Previous topic - Next topic

RedRazorHog

I still want to understand how a true freshman, and we have quite a few, should be playing right in o-line positions over linemen that have been in the program for 3 or 4 years.  Isn't this a slam on the CoachHerb factor?   I get it with skill positions like WR and RB because that can just be speed.   O-Line and Linebacker are positions where, if you look at the depth chart, we have a lot of freshman in the 2 deep.
"I've found that prayers work best when you have Big Players"

--Knute Rockne

lefty08

Re: So far the UC press conference is hilarious   Reply
Losing gracefully isn't taught in second-tier programs. See Arkansas, Cincinnati, et al.
3/21 8:11 PM | IP: Logged

OneTuskOverTheLine™

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 12:23:12 am
I still want to understand how a true freshman, and we have quite a few, should be playing right in o-line positions over linemen that have been in the program for 3 or 4 years.  Isn't this a slam on the CoachHerb factor?   I get it with skill positions like WR and RB because that can just be speed.   O-Line and Linebacker are positions where, if you look at the depth chart, we have a lot of freshman in the 2 deep.

Your son got beat out... Tell him to work harder.
Quote from: capehog on March 12, 2010...
My ex wife had a pet monkey I used to play with. That was one of the few things I liked about her

quote from: golf2day on June 19, 2014....
I'm disgusted, but kinda excited. Now I'm disgusted that I'm excited.

010HogFan

this has not been discussed

PorkRinds

Gotta love the fresh take.

gchamblee

8 posts and he "still" is trying to understand something :) There are a lot of threads being started by new users. Was there a recent wave of banning?

PORKULATOR

Maybe we're recruiting better. That's the optimistic way to look at it.
Everytime I reach a goal or achieve something new in life, someone's beat me there and wrote f♡€% you all over it - JD Salinger
I've got a fever and the only perscription...  is more cowbell.- THE Bruce Dickenson.

RazorPiggie

Quote from: gchamblee on September 19, 2017, 02:52:41 pm
8 posts and he "still" is trying to understand something :) There are a lot of threads being started by new users. Was there a recent wave of banning?

We just need to have a certain post count before you are allowed to start a thread. Say 200 posts. Would cut down on so much.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: RazorPiggie on September 19, 2017, 03:03:33 pm
We just need to have a certain post count before you are allowed to start a thread. Say 200 posts. Would cut down on so much.

Wow, way to welcome a new fan!  I obviously have no inclination to go back and ever post that may have been posted.   I didn't even know about this website.  A friend told me about it, but I can see you that you and the others that responded to my post/question are Royalty and take sport in demeaning new people for posting something.  maybe you and these others should think about the fact that not everyone knows about this website, or what has been posted before.

--Knute Rockne

RedRazorHog

Quote from: PORKULATOR on September 19, 2017, 03:01:15 pm
Maybe we're recruiting better. That's the optimistic way to look at it.

Thank you for a positive response. 

--Knute Rockne

RedRazorHog

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 19, 2017, 02:29:34 pm
this has not been discussed

If I just found the website, is it expected me to read the whole history of the board.   If life makes YOU a grouch, maybe you should take some steps to change YOUR outlook.

--Knute Rockne

TomasPistola

Quote from: Hog Momster on January 06, 2011, 09:45:30 pm
You were right.
Quote from: Breems on April 28, 2011, 05:58:14 pm
You did a great job.
Quote from: Verge on June 22, 2011, 08:44:20 am
If you have some form of mental retardation i will stop making fun of you, just want to clarify this first.

010HogFan

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 05:40:53 pm
If I just found the website, is it expected me to read the whole history of the board.   If life makes YOU a grouch, maybe you should take some steps to change YOUR outlook.

if you just now found this board I assume you also didn't hear the dead horse being beaten on the radio or any of the 10 press conferences it's been discussed in

bondhue

While we're at it, I have a question.  Is Clary a walk on or scholarship player?
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

onebadrubi

Quote from: bondhue on September 19, 2017, 06:09:57 pm
While we're at it, I have a question.  Is Clary a walk on or scholarship player?

mic drop

bondhue

Okay, to give you a real answer, look at the thread titled aTm game Depth chart, or something like that.  You will see your question answered and debated there, along with sundry other topics that only Hogville could discuss under that title.  Debate got sort of hot, so there's some raw nerves right now.  Peace.
That's a pretty girl.  I caught her twice.  12.5 pounds.  I hope she's still alive.

Silver Hog

bert was supposed to build the redshirt program, has that happened?

bondhue

Quote from: onebadrubi on September 19, 2017, 06:28:58 pm
mic drop
Ha.  In other news, I ducked into Tigerpoop for a few.  They are just as or even more unhappy than HogVillians.  So at least there's that.

JaketheSnake

All the answer you search for can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

PorkSoda

Quote from: Silver Hog on September 19, 2017, 06:31:26 pm
right?  on one hand I can see rewarding a young player that has worked hard and plays well, with playing time over an upperclassman that is under performing, but on the other hand, that upperclassman has been in the program a long time and should have developed into a better player.  why isn't that happening?  who knows, maybe it is and this is just an isolated case.  I don't know.
"I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." ― Edgar Allan Poe
"If quantum mechanics hasn't profoundly shocked you, you haven't understood it yet. Everything we call real is made of things that cannot be regarded as real." – Niels Bohr
"A mind stretched to a new idea, never returns to its original dimensions" ~ Oliver Wendell Holmes
Quote from: PonderinHog on August 07, 2023, 06:37:15 pmYeah, we're all here, but we ain't all there.

MemphisBossHog

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 05:40:53 pm
Hey RedRazor, welcome to the board.  Tempers are just a little short on here lately.  No worries.

I dont know a ton about the Oline situation. I know that we have a walk on playing on the OLine while a couple of 4 star OLine recruits are not .  Not sure, but apparently the 2-4 star recruits arent picking up the system fast enough so BB and Co have chosen a walk on to start on the line. 

I know that was no help to you, but hang in there and keep posting.  Everyone was new at one point.

LRrazorback

Red keep your head up. Some of these guys live on here and like "new meat" they can criticize. Keep posting

Danny J

Quote from: Silver Hog on September 19, 2017, 06:31:26 pm
He changed his mind after last season...he is now building the blue shirt program.

srange98

Quote from: JaketheSnake on September 19, 2017, 07:02:49 pm
All the answer you search for can be found here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dQw4w9WgXcQ

Ah yes, very enlightening.  Recommended viewing for the uninitiated.

hogginbama

It could be that the younger players are coming in, learning their assignments better and not making the mental mistakes that could be plaguing the upper classmen. Not every 3-4-5 star recruit works out, look how many 1st round draft picks are busts. Another example is the overall #1 recruit just announced today he is leaving Auburn due to lack of playing time. Sometimes it clicks and sometimes it doesn't, at least the ones that don't click as starters can be servicable backups for a little depth.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

UA1985

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 12:23:12 am

It's a huge red flag. We have four stars who have been coached up by Anderson for over a year and an unheralded kid waltzes in from the local high school and plays better than any of them. That means the coaching those players received while Clary was lining up a prom date was worthless.

RedRazorHog

Quote from: 010HogFan on September 19, 2017, 05:54:04 pm
if you just now found this board I assume you also didn't hear the dead horse being beaten on the radio or any of the 10 press conferences it's been discussed in

No I didn't.   I come on the website and WholeHogSports to get my updates.   I don't really have time to get the sports talk or the news... hence why I "was so excited" about this website, as I thought I could keep up.

--Knute Rockne

RedRazorHog

Quote from: UA1985 on September 19, 2017, 09:16:59 pm
It's a huge red flag. We have four stars who have been coached up by Anderson for over a year and an unheralded kid waltzes in from the local high school and plays better than any of them. That means the coaching those players received while Clary was lining up a prom date was worthless.

EXACTLY MY POINT!

--Knute Rockne

RedRazorHog

Quote from: hogginbama on September 19, 2017, 07:57:50 pm
It could be that the younger players are coming in, learning their assignments better and not making the mental mistakes that could be plaguing the upper classmen. Not every 3-4-5 star recruit works out, look how many 1st round draft picks are busts. Another example is the overall #1 recruit just announced today he is leaving Auburn due to lack of playing time. Sometimes it clicks and sometimes it doesn't, at least the ones that don't click as starters can be servicable backups for a little depth.

Be great if we could get him to come here... the good lord knows we could use the talent.

--Knute Rockne

RedRazorHog

Quote from: LRrazorback on September 19, 2017, 07:27:41 pm
Red keep your head up. Some of these guys live on here and like "new meat" they can criticize. Keep posting

Thank you brother... nice to read some friendly posts.

--Knute Rockne

RedRazorHog

Quote from: MemphisBossHog on September 19, 2017, 07:18:45 pm
Hey RedRazor, welcome to the board.  Tempers are just a little short on here lately.  No worries.

I dont know a ton about the Oline situation. I know that we have a walk on playing on the OLine while a couple of 4 star OLine recruits are not .  Not sure, but apparently the 2-4 star recruits arent picking up the system fast enough so BB and Co have chosen a walk on to start on the line. 

I know that was no help to you, but hang in there and keep posting.  Everyone was new at one point.

Yes fully agree.  Merrick and Wallace should be "ready to play at this point", but one has to wonder why not.  Even if they were 4 stars, after this much time in the program one would think they A). Know the system B). Are bigger and stronger and C). Are mentally more mature.

Thanks for the positive note and the encouragement.

--Knute Rockne

RedRazorHog

Quote from: bondhue on September 19, 2017, 06:29:33 pm
Okay, to give you a real answer, look at the thread titled aTm game Depth chart, or something like that.  You will see your question answered and debated there, along with sundry other topics that only Hogville could discuss under that title.  Debate got sort of hot, so there's some raw nerves right now.  Peace.

Understood and thanks a lot.  I think my post was before that aTm depth chart post came out.  I am voracious on reading what's active from the point I got on the site.

--Knute Rockne

Rayzback

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 09:21:04 pm
No I didn't.   I come on the website and WholeHogSports to get my updates.   I don't really have time to get the sports talk or the news... hence why I "was so excited" about this website, as I thought I could keep up.

Late night delusional summary:  Bret vs Bert vs AD.  Florida A&M meh, TCU pissed,, TAMU conflicted. 5 years!  Cookies vs PB&J.  There can be only 1 true fan. Saturday can't get here soon enough.

Ohh, and the new uni's are cool....
Mellow is the man who knows what he's been missin

RedRazorHog

Quote from: Rayzback on September 19, 2017, 09:53:41 pm
Late night delusional summary:  Bret vs Bert vs AD.  Florida A&M meh, TCU pissed,, TAMU conflicted. 5 years!  Cookies vs PB&J.  There can be only 1 true fan. Saturday can't get here soon enough.

Ohh, and the new uni's are cool....

I do LOVE the new uniforms.  Wish we would go to them permanently.  But then I liked our original uniforms - the ones we had with the two stripes on the legs (Holtz, Hatfield and Nutt era).  Petrino brought in the first change, and then it seemed like we re-branded.  I like the new stuff WAY MORE.

--Knute Rockne

010HogFan

Quote from: RedRazorHog on September 19, 2017, 09:21:04 pm

Didn't really mean to be a jerk, it was more of a snarky tongue in cheek comment I made at first more than anything. Welcome to the board!

Piggfoot

before you start jumping on Anderson, just maybe those 4*s not recruited by Anderson are not as good as Clary, recruited by Anderson. Not all students make A's even when taught by the best teachers. It is disappointing but those were Pittman recruits. We are running more screens now and Pittman said his recruits could not get out there and block.
Hog fan since 1960. So thankful for Sam Pittman.

hogginbama

Or it could be that the walk-on busted his tail in off-season workouts, learned the assigments and schemes and limits his mental mistakes a little better than the upper classmen. He also could be a walk-on because he received academic scholarships that paid his way and by "walking-on" that saved an atheletic scholarship for someone else. Building depth by all possible means legally possible is one way of looking at it.
My ole buddy Biscuit has crossed that rainbow bridge. Life sure is different without him around.

Biggus Piggus

No. Happens all the time. Recruit a kid who goes to high school within walking distance of campus. Persuade him to turn down scholarship offers from Cincinnati, Air Force and A-State, in exchange for a scholarship at midterm. He is good enough to start game one of his true freshman season. Not rare at all.
[CENSORED]!