Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

Why doesn't Arkansas play Oklahoma State anymore?

Started by Ben, September 17, 2017, 10:19:52 pm

Previous topic - Next topic

Ben

I mean we want absolutely NO part of Ok State right now, but from 1950-80, the hogs used to play OKST every year. Haven't played them since. They aren't far away. Why haven't they? It would have been cool seeing how Barry Sanders would've fared against us in the 80s, or the 12-1 team from 2011 playing the 11-2 Arkansas team.
Quote from: BearsBisonsBoars on January 18, 2016, 11:06:54 pm. The four team playoff is still opinion. Or do you really think MSU was really the fourth best team in CFB?
You miss the boat.  A four team playoff is a championship.  A championship produces... a champion. You seem to be looking for the "best" team.  The "best" doesn't exist. Best does not equal champion.  Best is a myth.
Opinion polls produce... opinions.

East Clintwood

All the OkieSt games were home games for the UofA.

OkieSt tired of that arrangement and wanted more home games themselves.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Michael_E_Davis

"I struggled through many problems in my life, most of which never happened." -Unknown

snoblind

Seriously?  You do know that they were the opening LR game all those years with the exception, IIRC, of USC maybe CAL once back in the early 70's?  We weren't interested in home and home back.

Biggus Piggus

Because we don't have Jerry Sandusky to teach us how to take that.
[CENSORED]!

JIHawg

We play them when they have quarterbacks the caliber of Houston Nutt.  That's been awhile.

bphi11ips

September 18, 2017, 07:58:15 am #6 Last Edit: September 18, 2017, 09:24:39 am by bphi11ips
We already play half a dozen of the best paid teams in college football.
Life is too short for grudges and feuds.

DeltaBoy

If the South should lose, it means that the history of the heroic struggle will be written by the enemy, that our youth will be trained by Northern school teachers, will be impressed by all of the influences of history and education to regard our gallant dead as traitors and our maimed veterans as fit subjects for derision.
-- Major General Patrick Cleburne
The Confederacy had no better soldiers
than the Arkansans--fearless, brave, and oftentimes courageous beyond
prudence. Dickart History of Kershaws Brigade.

hogsanity

Quote from: Biggus Piggus on September 17, 2017, 10:40:07 pm

The series iwth Okie St ended long before Okie St was any good, but of course you knew that.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Bacon_Bitz

Aaaaand Hogville has reached a new low point. Moderators making light of child sexual assault. Classy move.

hogsanity

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on September 18, 2017, 08:31:31 am
Aaaaand Hogville has reached a new low point. Moderators making light of child sexual assault. Classy move.

Just shows where their mind is most of the time.
People ask me what I do in winter when there is no baseball.  I will tell you what I do. I stare out the window, and I wait for spring.

"Anything goes wrong, anything at all, your fault, my fault, nobodies fault, I'm going to blow your head off."  John Wayne in BIG JAKE

Pigsknuckles

Been wanting our series with OSU to be revived for some time. After what I saw of them over the weekend, I'm not so sure.
"the ox is slow, but the Earth is patient"

TNhogfan

Quote from: snoblind on September 17, 2017, 10:39:24 pm
Seriously?  You do know that they were the opening LR game all those years with the exception, IIRC, of USC maybe CAL once back in the early 70's?  We weren't interested in home and home back.
Stanford and Jim Plunkett also in 1970 along with the two you mentioned.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Because Arkansas takes enough @ss kickings already.

al_pigcino

I swear most of HV would be happy if the SWC got back together.  It's like going to your 20 year reunion and trying to hook up with your high school crush. 

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: al_pigcino on September 18, 2017, 11:04:22 am
I swear most of HV would be happy if the SWC got back together.  It's like going to your 20 year reunion and trying to hook up with your high school crush.

Are you saying Arkansas bit off more than they could chew when they joined the SEC?

BigBrandonAllenFan

One could argue that Arkansas sold out for the money when they joined the SEC, while in reality, Arkansas only padded the pockets of of Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Florida.

bphi11ips

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 18, 2017, 11:15:37 am
One could argue that Arkansas sold out for the money when they joined the SEC, while in reality, Arkansas only padded the pockets of of Alabama, Georgia, LSU, and Florida.

This makes no sense.  Arkansas received $40.4M in 2016 just like those schools.  Staying in Big 12 would have cost us $5.6M last year in conference revenue.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 18, 2017, 11:27:21 am
This makes no sense.  Arkansas received $40.4M in 2016 just like those schools.  Staying in Big 12 would have cost us $5.6M last year in conference revenue.

Arkansas currently ranks 14th nationally in sports revenue.  That is 8th in the SEC, slightly ahead of #9 Georgia.  But what are fans getting in the win columns for that number is the question. 5.6 million would only tally about 4.5% of the current revenue, hence the "sellout" comment..

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

BigBrandonAllenFan

...Meanwhile, Clemson is #27 on that list.

To heck with total revenue, what about winning?

hogsanity

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 18, 2017, 12:01:49 pm

Arkansas currently ranks 14th nationally in sports revenue.  That is 8th in the SEC, slightly ahead of #9 Georgia.  But what are fans getting in the win columns for that number is the question. 5.6 million would only tally about 4.5% of the current revenue, hence the "sellout" comment..

http://sports.usatoday.com/ncaa/finances/

Hmm, yet another # in which the Hogs are about 8th in the SEC.

State believes it must play decent rent a wins to keep its new image up and just cannot afford to include an old friend way down on its luck.

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: hogsanity on September 18, 2017, 12:06:07 pm

Yeah.  Some folks are blinded with the concept of being part of the big bad SEC.  I'm not a fan of a single other team in the SEC, so screw that.

The Big 12 needs another team. 

itshogsbaby

Quote from: Bacon_Bitz on September 18, 2017, 08:31:31 am
I completely agree.   There is no scenario where making light of that topic is ok.  I like reading Biggus but this was a terrible post.  C'mon man

East Clintwood

Quote from: bphi11ips on September 18, 2017, 11:27:21 am

I think losing that 5.6M would be a good trade for an additional 2 to 4 wins a season
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

Sweet Feet

Some of hog fans focus more on money/revenue than they do actual success. Its like some have developed a proud mindset of riding the coattails of other teams and the revenue they bring Arkansas rather than have actual on the field success.

GoHogs1091

I actually would like to see us play Oklahoma State.  We need to improve our non-conference scheduling in order to better prepare for our SEC schedule.

Playing the likes of Alcorn State, Florida A&M, New Mexico State, and Coastal Carolina just signifies a desperation for wins.

Ex-Trumpet

Quote from: East Clintwood on September 18, 2017, 12:18:24 pm

I think losing that 5.6M would be a good trade for an additional 2 to 4 wins a season

Especially in light of a 14M buyout...
Do dyslexic, agnostic insomniacs lie awake at night wondering if there really is a dog?

BigBrandonAllenFan

Quote from: East Clintwood on September 18, 2017, 12:18:24 pm

When you figure in the current forecasted lost revenue in ticket sales from being an also ran football team, winning more would make up the difference and it would all be about the same.

bphi11ips

Quote from: hogsanity on September 18, 2017, 12:06:07 pm

Hmmm, about where we always know they have been.  Eighth in the SEC is pretty good.  It doesn't mean we will finish every football, basketball, baseball and track season 8th, though, now does it?

bphi11ips

Quote from: Sweet Feet on September 18, 2017, 12:20:06 pm
Some of hog fans focus more on money/revenue than they do actual success. Its like some have developed a proud mindset of riding the coattails of other teams and the revenue they bring Arkansas rather than have actual on the field success.

Many of us developed a proud mindset many years before we joined the SEC.

bphi11ips

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 18, 2017, 07:30:21 pm
When you figure in the current forecasted lost revenue in ticket sales from being an also ran football team, winning more would make up the difference and it would all be about the same.

You may be right.  Notice the way I limited my statement to "conference revenue". 

onebadrubi

Quote from: BigBrandonAllenFan on September 18, 2017, 11:15:37 am

Arkansas padded its pocket all the while getting out of the scam of the big 12-2 that had to cry for except for a championship game that catered too UT and allowed a couple of schools to get away with whatever they wanted. 

MuskogeeHogFan

Some of these responses are hilarious. I've said it before and I'll say it again, I wish we did play Oklahoma State every year. We did for a long time though it was in LR about 99% of the time and the vast majority of you younger posters can't remember it.

I think it would be a good annual game that would turn into a natural OOC rivalry as a home and home.

But everyone said, "Play OSU? What for? We wouldn't gain a thing in terms of recruiting and they are below us." This year, everyone is scared to death of the low class, undeserving Cowboys. Oh how drastically some of you swing from one end of the spectrum to the other.

They are going to have good years and not so good years, but they are a good regional opponent from a neighboring P-5 conference and close enough to make this an annually interesting match up.

Most years, most of you see no value. Every once in while when they trend up, some of you run scared.

I'd like to see an annual game renewed. No reason not to. A respected team and opponent, close enough for both fan bases to travel well. The renewal of an older series.
Go Hogs Go!

Locutus_of_Boar

Quote from: Ben on September 17, 2017, 10:19:52 pm
I mean we want absolutely NO part of Ok State right now, but from 1950-80, the hogs used to play OKST every year. Haven't played them since. They aren't far away. Why haven't they? It would have been cool seeing how Barry Sanders would've fared against us in the 80s, or the 12-1 team from 2011 playing the 11-2 Arkansas team.

Arkansas and OSU played 46 times, more than any non SWC and non SEC opponent except Tulsa with the 1st game in 2012 when OSU was still Oklahoma A&M.  Only nine games were is Stillwater over all  those years which never set well with OSU admin.  Arkansas was able to keep home field advantage because WMS held more than Lewis Field.  In 1980 after Broyles hired Nutt he made a decision to restart the Ole Miss series as a way if laying the groundwork for getting an SEC bid.  This was back when OU was suing the NCAA over TV rights and JFB knew he had to get Arkansas out of the SWC someday.  The OSU rivalry was sacrificed for Ole Miss which upset almost no one at the time.  Of course this was also immediately after Jimmy Johnson got the OSU job and Johnson got his revenge against JFB when Lou left in 1983.

Snizzzo

Forgive me if I don't find extremely clever quips about child rape as hilarious as you do. 

rlamb

Why in hades would you want a series with another Auburn or Florida? We
would have nothing to gain with this set-up as to me even with all of Boone
Pickens money, they are not even a 2nd tier elite Program.

(notOM)Rebel123

Quote from: hogsanity on September 18, 2017, 08:30:31 am
The series iwth Okie St ended long before Okie St was any good, but of course you knew that.

^^^this
"Knowledge is Good"....Emil Faber

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: Ben on September 17, 2017, 10:19:52 pm

Not quite even year but close. Not in 51, 54 or 61.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Hogtimes

Quote from: 12247 on September 18, 2017, 12:09:48 pm
State believes it must play decent rent a wins to keep its new image up and just cannot afford to include an old friend way down on its luck.

er ah, like we don't play rent a win games.......  and luck has nothing to do  with our lack of success.

hawgon

We don't have to know why to be thankful that we're not right now. 

Hogtimes

Actually OSU ended the series,  because they wanted a home  and home and  Arkansas could not accomodate them at  the time because of the games  we had to  have in Little Rock (I believe it was  three games at the time).

We did play then home and home for 3 or 4 years in the mid 70's, then Broyles said no more.