Welcome to Hogville!      Do Not Sell My Personal Information

I was at the Missouri game and right before halftime

Started by NorthDallas40, September 16, 2017, 09:40:16 am

Previous topic - Next topic

NorthDallas40

I'm pretty sure I posted it here but can't find it. My bro and law I were sitting about ten rows back right behind the team on the 15. We had that great first half. Second quarter ends. Team walks off the field to the locker room right in front of us. We BOTH commented that the team - not just one player - but all of them looked like they were headed to a funeral. No excitement, no energy, no one looking like they were having fun. It was so out of place because we had just had such a great half. Both of us said that something was really off. When we opened the second half with IIRC three passs plays, we both said out loud that we were going to lose.
So what was it with the team before halftime? Were they told not to show emotion? Did they know they were about to get ripped by the coaches despite having a great first half? Were they hungry for PBJ? Whatever it was, it was not good and that lack of passion seems to have carried over to this year.

The OTR

Quote from: NorthDallas40 on September 16, 2017, 09:40:16 am
I'm pretty sure I posted it here but can't find it. My bro and law I were sitting about ten rows back right behind the team on the 15. We had that great first half. Second quarter ends. Team walks off the field to the locker room right in front of us. We BOTH commented that the team - not just one player - but all of them looked like they were headed to a funeral. No excitement, no energy, no one looking like they were having fun. It was so out of place because we had just had such a great half. Both of us said that something was really off. When we opened the second half with IIRC three passs plays, we both said out loud that we were going to lose.
So what was it with the team before halftime? Were they told not to show emotion? Did they know they were about to get ripped by the coaches despite having a great first half? Were they hungry for PBJ? Whatever it was, it was not good and that lack of passion seems to have carried over to this year.

They knew they were going to be force fed jelly sandwiches at halftime, lose all their steam as all the blood left their legs and muscles and went to their stomachs to digest the jelly, and lose the game and have to face criticism on hogville for the next month.

Can't imagine how bad they must have felt walking off the field.

DoctorSusscrofa

I bet every bit of that was posted in detail at the time.
Fan of Razorback Football, Baseball, Track, Gymnastics, Softball - M Barton

Sho Nuff

Quote from: Pillowhead Jackson on September 16, 2017, 10:08:21 am
They knew they were going to be force fed jelly sandwiches at halftime, lose all their steam as all the blood left their legs and muscles and went to their stomachs to digest the jelly, and lose the game and have to face criticism on hogville for the next month.

Can't imagine how bad they must have felt walking off the field.
😂😂😂

slim72315

How did they have such a great first half? Score yes. But corners were repeatedly getting beat deep and was bailed out by drop after drop after overthrow. Missouri corrected those issues and well second half speaks for itself.

Dominicanhog

Quote from: slim72315 on September 16, 2017, 10:40:42 am
How did they have such a great first half? Score yes. But corners were repeatedly getting beat deep and was bailed out by drop after drop after overthrow. Missouri corrected those issues and well second half speaks for itself.

agree that's why the offense needs to respond.. how did they do with that?

Etowah

The score could have been much different at the half.

Missouri had receivers open all over the field in the first half and we could have easily been behind.  We had not played great.

To you point though, we did not score the second half so in spite of all of the defensive issues, if we score one time...we win.

factchecker

Quote from: slim72315 on September 16, 2017, 10:40:42 am

WRONG

Missouri had 4 incomplete passes in the 1st half.

1st incomplete was on a 9 yard route broken up by Collins.

2nd incomplete was on a 7 yard hitch broken up by Collins.

3rd incomplete was on a dropped pass deep to Emanuel.

4th incomplete was on a scramble - pass was broken up by Pulley.

One deep ball was dropped in the first half.

We had the ball for 24:08 of the 30 minutes in the first half.  We had 318 total yards compared to their 137.  We were leading 24 to 7.  We were stomping a mudhole in them and then 2nd half Bielema happened.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

factchecker

Quote from: Etowah on September 16, 2017, 10:45:55 am
The score could have been much different at the half.

Missouri had receivers open all over the field in the first half and we could have easily been behind.  We had not played great.

To you point though, we did not score the second half so in spite of all of the defensive issues, if we score one time...we win.

WRONG

We had the ball for 24:08 of the 30 minutes in the first half.  We had 318 total yards compared to their 137.  We were leading 24 to 7.  We were stomping a mudhole in them and then 2nd half Bielema happened.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

Inhogswetrust

Quote from: factchecker on September 16, 2017, 10:55:37 am
WRONG

Considering their offensive style and how much they like to pass that is pretty dang good.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

Inhogswetrust

MAYBE it was more of a "we got this" type of attitude instead of a funeral procession. I've seen a LOT of ball games over my 60 years and I've never been able to decipher if a highly charged emotional team at the half is really going to win or not. You are forgetting there is another team headed to their locker room also and have no way of knowing what is going one in either locker room. Besides most good teams don't show a lot of emotions before, during, at the half or after the game is over. That is generally reserved for championship games ending and the team winning and in the case of an upset by the underdog in any regular season game.
If I'm going to cheer players and coaches in victory, I damn sure ought to be man enough to stand with them in defeat.

"Why some people are so drawn to the irrational is something that has always puzzled me" - James Randi

The Boar War

Factchecker, what were the last couple of drives like for us in the second quarter.  I honestly remember us being stymied but I could be wrong and it seems like you have the numbers on hand.

sickboy

Quote from: DoctorSusscrofa on September 16, 2017, 10:27:06 am
I bet every bit of that was posted in detail at the time.

Seriously. Are we living in the past or what?

factchecker

Quote from: The Boar War on September 16, 2017, 11:42:05 am
Factchecker, what were the last couple of drives like for us in the second quarter.  I honestly remember us being stymied but I could be wrong and it seems like you have the numbers on hand.

Here are the last two drives of the 2nd qtr. in detail:

ARKANSAS drive start at 06:44.
1-10 AR 40 T.J. Hammonds rush for 3 yards to the AR43 (Garrett, Cale).
2-7 AR 43 Austin Allen pass complete to Devwah Whaley for 7 yards to the 50 yardline, 1ST DOWN AR P13
(Beisel, Eric).
1-10 AR 50 T.J. Hammonds rush for 8 yards to the MU42 (Gibson, John).
2-2 MU 42 T.J. Hammonds rush for loss of 1 yard to the MU43 (Garrett, Cale).
3-3 MU 43 Austin Allen pass complete to Jeremy Sprinkle for 16 yards to the MU27, 1ST DOWN AR P14
(Penton, Aarion).
1-10 MU 27 Devwah Whaley rush for 8 yards to the MU19 (Perkins, R).
2-2 MU 19 Devwah Whaley rush for 1 yard to the MU18 (Howard, Nate).
3-1 MU 18 Timeout Missouri, clock 02:43.
3-1 MU 18 Devwah Whaley rush for 2 yards to the MU16, 1ST DOWN AR (Garrett, Cale;Perkins, R). R15
1-10 MU 16 Austin Allen pass incomplete to Drew Morgan, QB hurry by Harris, Charles.
2-10 MU 16 Drew Morgan rush for 8 yards to the MU8 (Perkins, R).
3-2 MU 08 Jared Cornelius rush for loss of 7 yards to the MU15 (Frazier, M).
4-9 MU 15 Timeout Missouri, clock 01:13.
4-9 MU 15 Adam McFain field goal attempt from 33 GOOD, clock 01:08.
Arkansas 24, Missouri 7
12 plays, 45 yards, 5:44

ARKANSAS drive start at 00:32.
1-10 AR 35 Austin Allen pass complete to Dominique Reed for 15 yards to the 50 yardline, 1ST DOWN AR P16
(Burkett, Joey).
1-10 AR 50 Clock 00:16.
1-10 AR 50 Austin Allen pass incomplete (Augusta, Josh).
2-10 AR 50 Austin Allen pass complete to Dominique Reed for 20 yards to the MU30, 1ST DOWN AR P17
(Beisel, Eric).
1-10 MU 30 Timeout Arkansas, clock 00:04.
1-10 MU 30 Adam McFain field goal attempt from 48 MISSED - wide left, spot at AR0, clock 00:00.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

PonderinHog

The Boar War

Quote from: factchecker on September 16, 2017, 11:45:04 am
Here are the last two drives of the 2nd qtr. in detail:

ARKANSAS drive start at 06:44.
1-10 AR 40 T.J. Hammonds rush for 3 yards to the AR43 (Garrett, Cale).
2-7 AR 43 Austin Allen pass complete to Devwah Whaley for 7 yards to the 50 yardline, 1ST DOWN AR P13
(Beisel, Eric).
1-10 AR 50 T.J. Hammonds rush for 8 yards to the MU42 (Gibson, John).
2-2 MU 42 T.J. Hammonds rush for loss of 1 yard to the MU43 (Garrett, Cale).
3-3 MU 43 Austin Allen pass complete to Jeremy Sprinkle for 16 yards to the MU27, 1ST DOWN AR P14
(Penton, Aarion).
1-10 MU 27 Devwah Whaley rush for 8 yards to the MU19 (Perkins, R).
2-2 MU 19 Devwah Whaley rush for 1 yard to the MU18 (Howard, Nate).
3-1 MU 18 Timeout Missouri, clock 02:43.
3-1 MU 18 Devwah Whaley rush for 2 yards to the MU16, 1ST DOWN AR (Garrett, Cale;Perkins, R). R15
1-10 MU 16 Austin Allen pass incomplete to Drew Morgan, QB hurry by Harris, Charles.
2-10 MU 16 Drew Morgan rush for 8 yards to the MU8 (Perkins, R).
3-2 MU 08 Jared Cornelius rush for loss of 7 yards to the MU15 (Frazier, M).
4-9 MU 15 Timeout Missouri, clock 01:13.
4-9 MU 15 Adam McFain field goal attempt from 33 GOOD, clock 01:08.
Arkansas 24, Missouri 7
12 plays, 45 yards, 5:44

ARKANSAS drive start at 00:32.
1-10 AR 35 Austin Allen pass complete to Dominique Reed for 15 yards to the 50 yardline, 1ST DOWN AR P16
(Burkett, Joey).
1-10 AR 50 Clock 00:16.
1-10 AR 50 Austin Allen pass incomplete (Augusta, Josh).
2-10 AR 50 Austin Allen pass complete to Dominique Reed for 20 yards to the MU30, 1ST DOWN AR P17
(Beisel, Eric).
1-10 MU 30 Timeout Arkansas, clock 00:04.
1-10 MU 30 Adam McFain field goal attempt from 48 MISSED - wide left, spot at AR0, clock 00:00.

Better than I remember.

factchecker

Quote from: The Boar War on September 16, 2017, 11:49:42 am
Better than I remember.

Coming up empty at the end of the half was a bad omen.

We left a ton of points on the board in the 2nd half.

2 INTs by Allen in the redzone.

Sprinkle dropped a perfect pass that would have been a TD in the final minutes.

If we stop their fake punt we get the ball back and in range to score.

I was at the game and I knew that we were going to lose when they converted that fake punt.  Momentum shifted big time.  Damn their stupid drum.
WORK FOR IT
PLAN ON IT
EARN IT
OMAHOGS

NorthDallas40

To me, this was our most troublesome drive of the game if not the year. It reflects to me Coach's lack of a true identity for what he wants to do on offense. When he came here his system for Arkansas was simple - pound them in the first half, get the lead and then run all over them in the second half while the clock runs too. He is so far removed from that that it's not even funny now. This is from the third quarter and Missouri had just cut the lead to 3.

1st and 10 at ARK 44
(1:58 - 3rd) Austin Allen pass incomplete to Drew Morgan
2nd and 10 at ARK 44
(1:58 - 3rd) Austin Allen pass incomplete to Dominique Reed, broken up by Aarion Penton
3rd and 10 at ARK 44
(1:58 - 3rd) Austin Allen pass incomplete to Drew Morgan
4th and 10 at ARK 44
(1:58 - 3rd) Toby Baker punt for 37 yds, fair catch by Johnathon Johnson at the Misso 19

Springfield_MO_Razorback

In response to OP. I was also at that game. My wife and I commented on how the team looked like robots going through the motions without any excitement going into the locker room as well as coming back out for warm ups. Wonder if the staff told them not to show emotions or be arrogant after that 28-7 first half killing? Regardless, we looked like a deflated balloon of a football team that second half. Even Mizzou fans near us in the forth quarter stated how bad they suck and can't believe they won and blah blah blah!  :puke:

East Clintwood

Quote from: sickboy on September 16, 2017, 11:43:46 am
Seriously. Are we living in the past or what?

Might as well.  With this team, the present isn't a very fun place to be.
Any dog can be a seeing eye dog if you don't care where you're going.

Like  blows - Bring back Karma

NorthDallas40

Quote from: Springfield_MO_Razorback on September 16, 2017, 12:32:02 pm
In response to OP. I was also at that game. My wife and I commented on how the team looked like robots going through the motions without any excitement going into the locker room as well as coming back out for warm ups. Wonder if the staff told them not to show emotions or be arrogant after that 28-7 first half killing? Regardless, we looked like a deflated balloon of a football team that second half. Even Mizzou fans near us in the forth quarter stated how bad they suck and can't believe they won and blah blah blah!  :puke:
It really was the damndest thing.

Athog

Are you talking about last year's team??
What is your point talking about something that has
been talked about countless times!

slim72315

Maybe the throws weren't made deep but the guys were beat  a lot

sickboy

Quote from: East Clintwood on September 16, 2017, 12:37:29 pm

Might as well.  With this team, the present isn't a very fun place to be.

True that. But let's pick a better place to dwell than Mizzou 2016. :)